kanye west explain the Mj Scene in his runaway shortfilm

To be called "The King" when you didnt write your own songs is wrong imo. To be called "The King", you are getting put at the top of the game. For me, if I was to give someone the title of "The King", Id have them writing there own songs. Elvis is over rated. Most artists these days don't write there own shit but can sing so well. I prefer artists that write there own songs. Maybe Im weird for that?

lol

Elvis is over rated? What?

And yes, you can prefer songs written and performed by the same artist but it pretty much boils down to the talent. Of which both MJ and Elvis had buckets full. Kanye really needs to innovate and stand out of the crowd now, I'm still waiting.

Last edited:
Elvis is over rated? What?

And yes, you can prefer songs written and performed by the same artist but it pretty much boils down to the talent. Of which both MJ and Elvis had buckets full. Kanye really needs to innovate and stand out of the crowd now, I'm still waiting.

People need to get over comparing every other artists yous come across to Michael Jackson. Its immature and its not fair on any of the other artists. Tom, your one of em.

And you can still wait, I personally believe Kanye isnt guna top his first 3 albums with this one. Runaway was a great visual for everyone to see what he thinks. Im guessing most people compared Runaway to Ghosts? Or Thriller? Obviously yous will strike Runaway down because it doesnt have the name Michael Jackson in the title of the film.

And everyone needs to stop crying over 808s & Heartbreak, its by far his worst album, he used autotune, I hate how he used it. The album is still ok, songs like Say You Will, Welcome To Heartbrea and Street Lights are quality songs.

Every single recording artist uses autotune.

I didn't get his explaination either and yes I agree with you guys Kanye is not humble at all it is a real turn off, most of his songs are old music he stole from someone else anyway. But I would say this, the fact that he respects Michael is good it is always good when someone shows MJ the respect he deserves. Comparing MJ to Jesus was a bit much though. As far as I am concern the only song that I like from Kanye is "good life".

Every single recording artist uses autotune.

No they don't.
Maybe the top 40 hitparade pop and hiphop artists, but not the REAL artists, they even make fun of it.
They don't use it because they know it's a stupid soundeffect that should be banned out of the music industry.

People who use it are in no way better than Milli Vanilli.:D

No they don't.
Maybe the top 40 hitparade pop and hiphop artists, but not the REAL artists

Smfh...... MJ used it all over Invincible.

Can't really tell me what "real" artists are, I listen to underground Hip Hop all day long.

Kanye West has been a fan of Michael Jackson since he was a child.

'Hey Mama' from Late Registration 2005 -

I was three years old, when you and I moved to the Chi
Late December, harsh winter gave me a cold
You fixed me up something that was good for my soul
Famous homemade chicken soup, can I have another bowl?
You work late nights just to keep on the lights
Mommy got me training wheels so I could keep on my bike
And you would give anything in this world
Michael Jackson leather and a glove, but didn't give me a curl
And you never put no man over me
And I love you for that mommy cant you see?
Seven years old, caught you with tears in your eyes
Cuz a nigga cheatin, telling you lies, then I started to cry
As we knelt on the kitchen floor
I said mommy Imma love you till you don't hurt no more

He mentions him alot in songs, and otherwise. He also wears a badge of MJ's face in Estelle's music video for American Boy (2008). If you are sensitive you might take some lyrics too sensitively, however, if you follow Kanye and view his blog you can tell that Michael is his idol.

He mentions him alot in songs, and otherwise. He also wears a badge of MJ's face in Estelle's music video for American Boy (2008). If you are sensitive you might take some lyrics too sensitively, however, if you follow Kanye and view his blog you can tell that Michael is his idol.

Never followed his 'career' or anything but it does seem like he messes up quite a bit. Maybe he means well but somehow it comes out wrong - yeah he wore that badge but it was the 'mugshot' photo that went around the world. :doh:

Maybe he means well but somehow it comes out wrong - yeah he wore that badge but it was the 'mugshot' photo that went around the world. :doh:

I think he was making a point, maybe to show 'yes i'm aware of the trial, but fk it, he's still my guy.'

I would have thought by now we would accept that taste in music is subjective and who may considerable to unquestionably talented, others may not be so sure.

Personally I am not into hip hop (I find the lyrics either simplistic, silly or nonsensical) but I respect that there are those who are and who, because of their interest in it, would be better judges of what is good/bad in that arena.

It is high time that we assume that everybody who disagrees with a particular viewpoint is a hater! It is an unfortunate trend around the world. Hate is a strong word. Not everyone who criticises Michael hates him. Not everyone who compares Michael to another artist and finds the other artist wanting, hates that artist.

But to the substantive matter - I watched the video. Did not like it. Kanye's explanation was clear as it pertains to his worldview but a bit muddy as to how that related to the MJ sequence.

Back