Just Good Friends appreciation

analogue

Proud Member
This song has been bashed alot and to be honest i'm getting pretty sick of it, so i decided to make a thread that shows some love to it for once. And i wouldn't take it off Bad and replace it with another song. Just Good Friends fits perfectly on the Bad album

The song is fun, funky and catchy as hell and that's the main thing that attracts me to the song. It's fun. Sure it's not some deep, complex song that makes you think but not every song as to be. Sometimes it's nice to have some fun once in a while and Just Good Friends is that type of song

Plus it's always great to see MJ and Stevie together

Re: Just Good Friend appreciation

I always liked JGF. I'm surprised so many don't.

Great song! One of my favorites on the album.

This is in my top 10 songs that Michael didn't write himself

Thanks for starting this thread. To me it's the most cookie cutter song on Bad, but I still find it very enjoyable. I can see why some question it's place on the album. Michael was writing such interesting and unique songs during this period, and it seems like an odd choice to put a song like this on the album in favour of another MJ penned tune. However, I think it's a nice moment for the album, hearing the two old friends (the mentor and the protege somewhat) just getting down and having fun together on the song. It's a fun song, with great vocal performances by both Stevie and Michael. It's a nice light moment on the album.

I like the song and it is one of my favourite duets, but maybe people are "bashing" it because it didn't go with BAD album others songs? It would have been great in Thriller, somehow it has Thriller sound in it and maybe that's why even Stevie himself said it is the weakest song on the album. He didn't meant it a bad song but somehow didn't fit in with other album songs. I'm glad Stevie said it as it just shows, he knows his stuff and music:bow:

First of all: BIG THANK YOU for starting this thread. I have always enjoyed Just good friends very much, together with another part of me, being the two songs that make me go and pull the LP from the jacket :)

I cannot see in anyway that the argument of the songs message not being strong enough for the album as valid? will someone tell me how the message on "Just good friends" differs from "the girl is mine"? and why the message on liberian girl is deep?

As I see it the trick behind the big album sales michael has had, is that theres a little bit in there for everyone, and the songs still together makes a coherent pop album apealing very broad. to top that his sound was still different from the masses making him easy recognizable with a clean image that makes the daughters mothers find him a young gentle man. not pushing anyone away, but apealing to a wide range of peoples across cultures and boarders

I love the song! I think, when you listen to it now, it doesn't have as much of a timeless sound as most of MJs songs - it's the one song that really reminds you that you're listening to an 80s album. In MY personal opinion, that could never be a bad thing, but I guess for some people it sounds a bit outdated.

Its one of my favourites for me Bad would'nt be the same without it

I'm sorry, but I think it's the most blatantly obvious filler track on any Michael Jackson album.

It's not one of the best on BAD, but it's def. something I think should be on the album. Not every song can be a top 10 song.

MJ and SW's vocals in this is off the hook! I love how they are having so much fun in it. It reminds me of me and my friend years ago, how he used to do Stevie's vocals, and I did MJ's. Fun times!

I can't wait to see the studio footage of this.

I'm sorry, but I think it's the most blatantly obvious filler track on any Michael Jackson album.

I disagree. Come Together is the most obvious filler track on any Michael Jackson album

I love it, I don't think of it as a filler. It's a damn good track with outstanding vocals.

I disagree. Come Together is the most obvious filler track on any Michael Jackson album
What!!!! I think I need to start Come Together appreciation thread after you called it filler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG!

fainting.gif

In my opinion, it is one of the sexiest songs MJ ever sung
:dropdead:

I think the reason Just Good Friends doesn’t get much praise is because it is surrounded by so many great hits. If that song had been on any other artist’s album, it would have been deemed a great song. But songs like Smooth Criminal and Dirty Diana could make any good song sound bad, when you compare them.

I love Just Good Friends. The vocals are excellent and as others have said, it's fun song. I think it could have had an interesting video. To me, the song does have a message: don't judge a book by its cover. Not bad advice to be reminded of even now and then :)

I love his version of Come Together.

I love the adlibs on Just Good Friends...

I agree. :D I think it's an underrated song. I wish MJ & Stevie Wonder did more duets. They're really great together.

I'm sorry, but imo you're wrong, the chord progression in those verses is literally of the chain, this track is far stronger than a few songs on off the wall, TGIM, and a few songs on vince, i will never understand why some fans don't dig this track, first time i heard it i was blown away by how catchy it was.

"Listen UP! Hee! We got a problem here!"

yall better stop hating on my 2nd favorite MJ record ... it sounds old but thats one of the funkiest jams out..

"My baby loves me...she luv meh, she luv meh, she luv meh.. hee.. hee..... hooooo hoooooooooo!"

I also cannot understand the dislike for this song. I love it, his vocals are amazing in this and the music always makes me wanna dance. No disrespect to Stevie Wonder but i kinda wish it was MJ doing ALL the lyrics because he sounds that good, even though it wouldnt really fit with the song.

I honestly can't believe some people would label JGF as "filler." Like, what?!

This song is so much fun. It's impossible for me not to be in a good mood when I hear it. Same goes for Get It (which I absolutely LOVE!!!!).

Come Together is a filler when it comes to the history album, its not a bad song but it doesnt fit with the rest of the album, it is from 1987 or so, when the rest of the songs were recorded later than that and sound completely different, I heard that he put Come Together on History because he gave Why to 3T. anyone know if thats true?

I only learned to love "Just Good Friends" in recent years. I love the style of
the music production. The lyrics are pretty weak though, agreed.

So who prefers the other duet "Get It" over "Just Go Friends"?
I think i do. But they are not far apart from each other.

I heard that he put Come Together on History because he gave Why to 3T. anyone know if thats true?

That would be 1+1=3 :D

He gave Why to 3T. But i'm sure with the amounts of unreleased songs Michael had,
giving away Why didn't exactly force him to use Come Together for the HIStory album.
I guess he just liked Come Together, and finally wanted to give it a proper release on an album.

Back