Juliens Auction Dec 2 - The Collection of Tompkins & Bush /Update Controversy surrounding autographs

Re: Juliens Auction Dec 2 - The Collection of Tompkins and Bush Auction

This is supposedly be The Collection of Tompkins & Bush, but there is lots of Jackson 5 stuff too,and from Janet and other siblings?
Bush wasn't around Jackson 5 times, or was he? How come he has stuff from that era and even earlier times, Michael's costume when he performed Ben @ Oscars?
I wonder if some those costumes from Jackson 5 era, and Janet's costumes were then ones from Henry Vaccaro's storage and he sold them back to Jackson's, and Jackson's gave them to Bush to sell in auction?

So many pair of Michael sun classes that it makes me think of maybe Rebbie is selling "her" stuff on the side, I counted at least 20 pairs going for auction?

Anyways, I personally hope that the estate buys at least 8 of the most iconic clothing from the auction. Then they should hire godaiking to make whole body of MJ and dress it up with original costumes and display it in the (future) MJ museum.

I agree with you Qbee about the book. Michael's costumes were iconic items and who'd better write the story of them than the one who created them with Michael.

Last edited:

Before Michael died, he went to court to call off the Julienne's Auction of his things. Michael Jackson noted that his items could not be replaced.

That's why fan's don't want this latest Auction to happen!

Before Michael died, he went to court to call off the Julienne's Auction of his things. Michael Jackson noted that his items could not be replaced.

That's why fan's don't want this latest Auction to happen!

Honestly if you look to the items listed there's only a few items (out of 485) worth protecting such as Scream and History tour outfits and a few jackets. The rest aren't iconic items.

I also have to add that "fans don't want this to happen" mostly do not have any effect. It seems that the items are owned by Bush and most of them are signed - signaling that it was given away / gifted. I don't think there's anything to stop this auction.

If it's any consolation the 2009 auction items are at the possession of MJ Estate and is not being sold in this auction.

This is the reason I didn't buy bush's book, probably never will. I still feel uneasy over the fact he auctioned off michael's original one and only thriller jacket. Michael bush's pocket is filled with $$$ thanks to Michael's trust, kindness and generosity. I am wondering how Michael would feel to see this. It's sad for all MJ fans and future fans to see michael's iconic clothes stay in some person's closets forever.

Last edited:
Michael Lee Bush posted this on his facebook today.

"Friends, I have been profoundly touched by the outpouring of love and admiration for Michael Jackson that I have been able to witness during the launch of the book "King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson." The book features the many fashions of Michael Jackson that I had the great pleasure of working on or creating during my almost 25 years of working with the greatest entertainer of all time. Al
though some of the items that Dennis and I have collected over the years will be auctioned by Julien’s Auctions on Sunday, December 2nd at Julien’s Auctions in Beverly Hills, I have decided to gift several of the costumes originally marked for auction to the Estate of Michael Jackson so that they can be preserved by the Estate as part of Michael’s legacy for many years to come. I recognize the historical significance of these costumes and even though some of them were personalized and gifted to me by Michael Jackson, I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to share these items with the fans with the recent exhibitions and some of the items are to be part of the permanent collection of the estate.
- Michael Bush, fashion designer and author of The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson."

Well Michael himself fully expected the Thriller jacket to be destroyed when Tompkins and Bush were creating their Bad Tour variant of it. He was completely shocked when they gave it back to him without so much as a scratch from their examination of it. To thank them for their work, Michael signed the jacket and gave it to them as a gift. So it seems that - at that time, at least - Michael was fully accepting of even his most iconic clothing being destroyed and cut up in order to create more performance-friendly outfits.

Plus, if this auction wasn't happening, where do you think these outfits were being stored before? Michael Bush's closet; quite literally. These outfits have been stored all over his residence and in fairly sub-par conditions to keep them at the best they could be. The Dirty Diana shirt is beginning to degrade, for example. This auction gives the chance for these articles of clothing to be taken care of in the right conditions and to be preserved by people who have the capacity to take care of them.

And besides:

"A statement from Michael Bush, author of The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson:

I have been profoundly touched by the outpouring of love and admiration for Michael Jackson that I have been able to witness during the launch of the book "King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson." The book features the many fashions of Michael Jackson that I had the great pleasure of working on or creating during my almost 25 years of working with the greatest entertainer of all time. Although some of the items that Dennis and I have collected over the years will be auctioned by Julien’s Auctions on Sunday, December 2nd at Julien’s Auctions in Beverly Hills, I have decided to gift several of the costumes originally marked for auction to the Estate of Michael Jackson so that they can be preserved by the Estate as part of Michael’s legacy for many years to come. I recognize the historical significance of these costumes and even though some of them were personalized and gifted to me by Michael Jackson, I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to share these items with the fans with the recent exhibitions and some of the items are to be part of the permanent collection of the estate."

I read Bush statement on Fb earlier and it made me happy that he will give several costumes to MJ Estate. So maybe one day we will get a museum? Now I feel much more better about actually buyin his book now. =) And hopefully people who buy the rest will share what they buy with the public too one day? =/

But, I still gotta say I didn't like those random models wearing MJ clothes and Lady Gaga.

Last edited:

Good!

This is good news. Like I said before Estate already has several iconic costumes (that you might have seen at AEG tour and later at fan fest). Addition of the some important pieces that Bush gifting to the Estate would make the collection better. I hope if we can find out which items he decided to gift to the Estate.

I also think gifting costumes might be a regular thing Michael did. Siedah Garret had the jacket that Michael wore when they are recording. She says he gifted it to her. The Grammy Museum also have 2 outfits of Michael on display loaned from John Branca - which apparently Michael gifted it to John Branca personally.

Edited to add : This is the Grammy Museum Exhibit. It has 7 jackets and 2 suits (as well as a fedora, 2 gloves and a leg guard). Most of the items are there on a loan from MJ Estate and 2 of them are from John Branca personally.

6izlhi.jpg

Oh wow. If he's really doing that, with some of the more iconic pieces, I'd be really grateful to him and also take back some of the stuff I said...time will tell, I guess :)

It seems, according to Bush, that Michael gave these costumes back to Bush. These free items will be sold, and part of the money given to charity. The rest of the money goes to whom? Bush? So, basically he is being paid twice for his work--the first time when he made them for Michael for pay; the second time when he receives money from buyers for them. Isn't it good to receive something free and then take all that and sell it for a profit. There is no costs for you for buying the product.

Even though I am glad that Bush has presented the book with all the pictures and stories, there is the auction of these free objects that rub me the wrong way. I would like to ask Bush if Michael ever spoke to him about a museum, and if so, where did Michael expect to get the costumes from to put in the museum. It seems strange that he gave them all back to Bush, but for what reason? Was Bush suppose to hold them for him for a particular reason. This situation reminds me of Thome holding the millions and then giving it back to estate after Michael's death. Thome could have said that Michael gave it to him too. The same situation exists with the art. Again Michael, we are told, gave it all to Bert. We find out all this after Michael is dead and cannot say otherwise. To me, in all these cases, someone is not telling the truth.

What I see as a recurring trend, is that when people do something connected to Michael that they know might be criticized by some people, they immediately tag on the word charity. Charity is supposed to make everything OK. Now whenever I see the word charity associated to the selling/buying of a Michael product/production, I scrutinize the situation very carefully. Alarm bells ring out.

Now, if what Bush said is true, I really do not understand Michael. Why would a man pay out hundreds of thousands of dollars to have his clothing made, and then turn around and give them back to the people who he paid to make them. Here, I am not talking about 3 outfits, but several key outfits. Wouldn't it be more financially rewarding to not pay Bush in money, but then give him the costumes after he made them, because Michael's clothes are worth a lot of money? Am I to believe that Michael did not know the value of his costumes?

PS: Oh I just saw that he decided to hold back some and give to estate. Thank goodness fans showed their disapproval, because it seems that it is only recently that he decided to do this. He should have thought of this at the time he alerted fans about the book. Well better late than never Bush. Thank you for at least doing the right thing in that respect.

Last edited:

Well given that the items on display have been signed by Michael to Bush, it's obvious that they were gifted to Bush. As for why? Michael was a nice guy, and once his performance outfits had fulfilled their purpose, he wasn't very precious about them. He wasn't precious about the past in general, so awards and such were never on display at Neverland. Michael was all about moving forward and not getting stuck in past glories, so it does make sense that his clothing would befall that same principle.

Besides, where has all this talk of a museum arose from? I've yet to see a single article, video or source that corroborates these claims that Michael wanted a museum and gave these clothing to Bush for safe-keeping (well, the signatures on the clothing along with the messages to Bush on them betray that notion anyway, but still).

Sure Michael was a nice guy. There is information that he gave a glove to this person after a performance, a jacket to that person who liked it, etc. However, with the Bush there are several items. It does not matter that he put his signature on it. His signature shows the items were his and adds more value to it. The number of items Bush holds makes me still feel they were given to him for a particular reason, and I also wondered why there were outfits from the J5 era too, when these outfits were made years before the relationship between Michael and Bush began. Someone else dressed Michael during that time, and that person needs to put out their own Dressing J5 book, in the same way that Bush wanted to put out his own Dressing Michal book and tell His story.

But they are signed to Bush. They literally say "To Bush, love Michael Jackson" in black marker. That stuff is permanent, so therefore Michael was desecrating his own priceless clothing. Would he really do that if he had this grand plan for decades to give Bush clothing to make a museum, or is it because he gave Bush the clothing as a present once their uses had been fulfilled?

And besides, even though the centrepieces of the auction are Tompkins and Bush clothing, there is FAR more that they have no claim to. I have a feeling that it isn't just Bush who has contributed to the auction, judging by the memorabilia and the Jackson 5 clothing. It's also worth nothing that the various exhibitions are made up of not only Bush's clothing but also jackets and such that are on loan from the Estate. Pretty much the items at the exhibition that didn't have a signature and a message to Bush on them were likely from the Estate and will therefore not be sold.

It does not matter if it is signed "to Bush" in black marker.

So you're saying that the fact that these clothes have been signed off to Bush (literally) does not signify that they were a gift? I could see your point of view if they just had Michael's signature on it, but they're addressed to Bush, which tells me that they were given for the purposes of a gift; as a thank you. He did the same when he gave Bush and Tompkins the Thriller jacket for their work on the Bad Tour's variant.

And I'm still wondering about this: is there any concrete sources that says that Michael wanted a museum where all of clothing would be exhibited, and that he gave clothing to Bush for safe-keeping for this?

OK ^^ you are right.

It seems, according to Bush, that Michael gave these costumes back to Bush. These free items will be sold, and part of the money given to charity. The rest of the money goes to whom? Bush? So, basically he is being paid twice for his work--the first time when he made them for Michael for pay; the second time when he receives money from buyers for them. Isn't it good to receive something free and then take all that and sell it for a profit. There is no costs for you for buying the product.

Even though I am glad that Bush has presented the book with all the pictures and stories, there is the auction of these free objects that rub me the wrong way. I would like to ask Bush if Michael ever spoke to him about a museum, and if so, where did Michael expect to get the costumes from to put in the museum. It seems strange that he gave them all back to Bush, but for what reason? Was Bush suppose to hold them for him for a particular reason. This situation reminds me of Thome holding the millions and then giving it back to estate after Michael's death. Thome could have said that Michael gave it to him too. The same situation exists with the art. Again Michael, we are told, gave it all to Bert. We find out all this after Michael is dead and cannot say otherwise. To me, in all these cases, someone is not telling the truth.

What I see as a recurring trend, is that when people do something connected to Michael that they know might be criticized by some people, they immediately tag on the word charity. Charity is supposed to make everything OK. Now whenever I see the word charity associated to the selling/buying of a Michael product/production, I scrutinize the situation very carefully. Alarm bells ring out.

Now, if what Bush said is true, I really do not understand Michael. Why would a man pay out hundreds of thousands of dollars to have his clothing made, and then turn around and give them back to the people who he paid to make them. Here, I am not talking about 3 outfits, but several key outfits. Wouldn't it be more financially rewarding to not pay Bush in money, but then give him the costumes after he made them, because Michael's clothes are worth a lot of money? Am I to believe that Michael did not know the value of his costumes?

PS: Oh I just saw that he decided to hold back some and give to estate. Thank goodness fans showed their disapproval, because it seems that it is only recently that he decided to do this. He should have thought of this at the time he alerted fans about the book. Well better late than never Bush. Thank you for at least doing the right thing in that respect.

Yes, thanks for pointing out this trend, as in Tohme ($5 Million) and BLS (Michael's entire art collection) and now all these costumes and performance memorabilia, and the original cancelled Julien's auction of all the contents of Neverland (!). Of course, I don't know the answer regarding the costumes as to why Michael had Bush keep them--was it a gift? Was it for safekeeping for a future museum? Did he think Bush would put them in storage? I mean he certainly did not have room at NL for all these items.

That said, I have to say when I saw some of the price tags, it is pretty amazing. The really iconic costumes are going for up to $80,000, and some starting at around $20,000-$60,000. These are the big ticket items. The HIStory Teaser outfit is described as one that was worn at a distance, as opposed to one worn for closeups, so where is the one worn for closeups? That, to me, would be a costume for a museum, definitely. There are performance costumes, like the gold pants outfit, the one when he came out of the space suit, etc., film outfits, like Dirty Diana, Scream, etc. There are over 800-900 items, including the outfit he wore to the White House to visit Bush Senior.

I wonder which ones will be given to the Estate? That would be nice to know. And I AM glad about that. But I have to stay this trend that you point out is bothering me! Too many people saying Michael gave them all his stuff. Regardless of whether Michael valued these things or not (and of course he DID value them, or he wouldn't have cancelled the Julien's auction), they are of tremendous value to his legacy and that is why it's important to preserve them. Yes, Michael was generous, but that doesn't mean we should sit by and watch it disappear and say nothing about it IMO.

This is good news. Like I said before Estate already has several iconic costumes (that you might have seen at AEG tour and later at fan fest). Addition of the some important pieces that Bush gifting to the Estate would make the collection better. I hope if we can find out which items he decided to gift to the Estate.

I also think gifting costumes might be a regular thing Michael did. Siedah Garret had the jacket that Michael wore when they are recording. She says he gifted it to her. The Grammy Museum also have 2 outfits of Michael on display loaned from John Branca - which apparently Michael gifted it to John Branca personally.

Edited to add : This is the Grammy Museum Exhibit. It has 7 jackets and 2 suits (as well as a fedora, 2 gloves and a leg guard). Most of the items are there on a loan from MJ Estate and 2 of them are from John Branca personally.

6izlhi.jpg

Is this from the Grammy museum in LA? Because almost all of that is gone. Just a few jackets are still there, one of them is the Thriller jacket that is signed to Branca. Will the things taken from there come back you think?

If Michael gave me a gift that means it is mine to do with as I wish. I could keep it, sell it or give it way because it is mine to do with as I wish. (With Michael's blessing) Regardless of how other wish to judge Michael's GIFT. They may very well have been payment for services or just generosity to those he loved and were loyal to him. We just don't know.

The Neverland Auction that Michael Stopped was his personal possessions which he didn't sign or give way. They are now in the possession of his Estate. But he did give many others items away to others as gifts or to charities to auction off and that shouldn't be judged by anyone. These gifted items were not items Michael earmarked for the Estate or his children. He gave them away.So to say his gifts should be returned is going against MJ's heart and intentions. He even signed them away to make sure they wouldn't be questioned. Michael wasn't selfish nor do i think he expected his gifts to be returned or place any conditions on them. So why do other feel they have the right to put conditions on Michael's gifts. We don't have that right Period. We dont

I find it very disturbing and wrong to place such harsh judgment on MLB and his character based on speculation over Michael's intentions for items that he clearly gave away. If he gifted it in writing as we can see he did then we shouldn't question or place judgment on those who received these gifts. Or what they chose to do with them. We don't really know the circumstances and could be attacking and hurting someone dear to MJ unjustly. So we should be careful in how we judge these matters. And while everyone is welcome to an opinion. Lets not forget it is just that. Some are replying like the opinions being tossed around about this in the fanbase are Facts. They are not.

Any way Im glad MLB decided to generously gift some of the more iconic costumes to Michael's estate. He certainly didnt have to. If the estate felt these items didnt belong to Bush they would have required Bush to return them. They did not. The fact Branca wrote the forward to MLB book shows he respects him. he hasnt done that for others.

So he does have the Estates blessing. Just maybe they know something we dont... Ya think

Sure it fine for us to question and be concerned (we should be) but lets not speculate to much or be too harsh when it comes to judging someones motive or character. Ive seen some terrible nasy things bein stated about him that are just mean spirted. Myself I find it scary for others to do that In Michael's name. Or at all to Anyone. We just don't know all the circumstances and we are much to quick to judge someones motives and intentions without knowing all the facts or their reasons. We could be hurting them unjustly. Just another perspective given in this thread. Mine .. I'm just concerned. but no one has to agree with me. Everyone is welcome to their own view.

And I'm still wondering about this: is there any concrete sources that says that Michael wanted a museum where all of clothing would be exhibited, and that he gave clothing to Bush for safe-keeping for this?

Karen Faye wrote on her twitter that MJ asked MLB and Tomkins to keep the clothes so they later could go in a museum. Karen was upset cus MLB were going against MJs wishes and he had stopped communicating with her over the issue.

Up to anyone if u wanna trust Karen

I still feel uneasy over the fact he auctioned off michael's original one and only thriller jacket.

I'm getting confused with this one and only Thriller jacket thingy?

As far as I understand there were two original Thriller jackets
"The "Thriller" jacket is one of two that Jackson owned and wore during the filming of "Thriller." The other is on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio, on loan from the Estate of Michael Jackson, auction house Julien's Auctions said.

So Bush sold one, but one is still R&Roll Hall of Fame.

Then there is Thriller varsity jacket is on display in Grammy museum
"This letterman jacket was used in the video and is currently on display at the Grammy museum in downtown Los Angeles."
-----------------------

I agree with Ivy's earlier post that there were few items worth of protecting. I don't mind if he sells sun classes, signed drawings and sawing machines, but I care about the certain costumes that Michael wore in his tour. Those should be left out of auction and I hope Bush gifts them to the estate.

Last edited:

I'm getting confused with this one and only Thriller jacket thingy? As far as I understand there were two original Thriller jackets "The "Thriller" jacket is one of two that Jackson owned and wore during the filming of "Thriller." The other is on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio, on loan from the Estate of Michael Jackson, auction house Julien's Auctions said. So Bush sold one, but one is still R&Roll Hall of Fame. Then there is Thriller varsity jacket is on display in Grammy museum "This letterman jacket was used in the video and is currently on display at the Grammy museum in downtown Los Angeles." I agree with Ivy that there were few things worth of protecting. I don't mind if he sells sun classes, signed drawings and sawing machines, but I care about the certain costumes that Michael wore in his tour. Those should be left out of auction and I hope Bush gifts them to the estate.
Why would he gift them to the estate? Branca would just turn around & sell it. His children would be better. :yes:

Karen Faye wrote on her twitter that MJ asked MLB and Tomkins to keep the clothes so they later could go in a museum. Karen was upset cus MLB were going against MJs wishes and he had stopped communicating with her over the issue. Up to anyone if u wanna trust Karen

Karen was making remarks about his book stating he was now in bed with the estate when someone asked her about the foward from Branca. in a snide backhanded way. She even said many of the items were from the estate. Then said he hadn't contacted her and wondered if it was because of her view. I contacted Bush and he said he has never shunned Karen and loves her dearly and is there for her if she ever needs him. He said he is doing what he feels is best. Said He doesn't judge her for her words becuase she does whats best for her and he doesnt expect to be judged either.

So I'm not sure what her game is. She then says they are friends. But a friend would privately address concerns like that and not make a public statement to judge or cause them harm. . She caused fans to attack him over her words. And then back tracked on them. She knows very well what would happen. She does it to everyone who was ever close to or knew MJ then says I would never do that, Just to build her self up while tearing others down .. Thats her MO and everyone knows that. I find it very sinister. I see right through it.

Anyway Bush has never denied that MJ would have wanted his clothes in a museum. He said not all in his posession were earmarked for that. He stated he isn't able to hold on to these items any longer waiting for a museum becuase they need to be placed in proper storage and feels through an auction they will be bought by museums, collectors and fans who will take care of them and treasure them as they should be. He feels many will wind up in museums anyway. And by a portion of proceeds going to charity he feels MJ would be pleased. He also said now that Dennis and Frank are gone he knew he had to write his book now and take care of all this now while he was still here. Because he is the only one who could.

MLB has now offerered to gift many of the most iconic items to the estate. ( The best scenerio)
He didn't have to do that but He was moved by the fans love of Michael and their concern over them.

Why would he gift them to the estate? Branca would just turn around & sell it. His children would be better. :yes:
The estate is not selling any of Mjs items so I dont know where you got that idea from. They will be saved and displayed when they have a place to do that. The Executors of MJs estate dont Own Michael things they are caretakers. Everything will be turned over to PPB according to MJs wishes in the trust. Plus they are minors. You dont hand over multi million dollar items to children. They will inherit it all in due time.

I would recommend that everyone to check the catalog for the 465 items. You would see that iconic pieces are not that many. Some items are clearly doubles, prototypes. There's a lot of autographs as well.

I think that seeing that most of the costumes are signed and some are specifically signed in Bush's name reduces the validity of the argument that Michael wanted these items at a museum. I agree with Jesta , why would Michael write " To Bush Love" on these clothes if he wanted to put them in a museum? Why would he sign a jacket " To Branca" if it wasn't a gift to that person?

Can you show me one single thing that the Estate sold? You can't. They do have the 2009 auction stuff which they hold in 3 storage and bring it out to fan fest etc. Nothing is being sold. Nothing can be sold without a judge's approval. I understand the anger and hate towards MJ Estate but at least make comments that can happen. With this impossible scenarios, the Anti-Estate people kinda sound crazy.

Does anyone have a copy of the Julien's Catalogue for this auction?

^PDF version can be downloaded on the Juliens website.

I asked Michael Bush yesterday if he can tell us which items he's gifting to MJ Estate. He replied to me saying that Michael's family want to keep it private. Honestly it doesn't make sense that he's donating to the MJ Estate but his family making a privacy request.

Anyway I think if the items are included in this auction Julien's would be required to pull them from the auction. We can compare the sale to the catalog to see which items are pulled from the auction.

^Honestly, that doesn't make any sense :/

What are you talking about:)

Michael gave 1 (one) of the Thriller jackets to Bush and Tomkins. The other one (one of two) is still owned by Michael = the estate.
The estate allowed Thriller jacket to be displayed on Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio.
Michael never gifted both of them to Bush, just one which he sold.

No point to bring out executors to this issue, they are not part of it.

Back