Jeffrey Daniel and MJ,similar dancing styles

Slim The Robot taught Mike the moonwalk

The Electric Boogaloos worked with Michael, but their claims are pretty much exaggerated.

Popping started in the late 1960s in Northern California and was originally called "Boogaloo"

The Electric Boogaloos took popping and boogaloo, introduced to the Los Angeles area and took credit saying they invented it, never really giving credit to the originators.

The people who taught Michael how to pop and other moves are

Jeffery Daniels
Robot Dane
Slim The Robot
Geron Candidate
Cooley Jackson
and most notably, Michael "Boogaloo Shrimp" Chambers who starred as Turbo in the 80s movie "Breakin". He was the dance instructor for the Victory Tour

here's a pic:
388875609_abfc35c3ae_m.jpg

guess who it is in the shades and bow tie LOL

here's some clips of Boogaloo Shrimp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzDY6rRWsKM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_oh9lq4IMw

I looked as Michael "Boogaloo Shrimp" Chambers website http://www.officialboogalooshrimp.com/, a few weeks ago and according to his web site he worked with Michael as a personal instructor from 1983-91. I think he was in Michael's Captain EO short film, aswell and I also regonise another dancer from the Breakin movies who's a dancer in the Poppin scenes in Captain EO.

Ya Michael Chambers worked with MJ..

But no1 can say he influenced MJ's dance more than Jeffrey Daniels.. the feel, the moves, are much more simular..

Chambers is strictly a popper.. while Daniels is also a popper his style can easily be transformed into different forms of dance..

Chambers has always brought hat cartoony popping style.. the over the top hard hits with funky movements.. Daniels has a much more diverse style in his dance..

they just had different mind frames towards dance..

CHAMBERS - started popping, and experimented to try to pop in ways people have not seen

DANIELS - started popping, and tried to take it into a different direction that many other poppers were going. (which were simular to chambers)

while they had a simular foundation, they took it in different directions.

Last edited:
Oh and by the way.. the boogalo dance form was around since the 1960's.. WAY BEFORE Michael Chambers hit the scene.

It was a mixture of Cuba, Puerto Rican, and black dancing that began when they would go to 'Happenings' together. It was primarily a latin dance with a black influence.

The first time it was telivised was on American Bandstand after it became big in clubs.

The way hip-hop dancers started to use the title 'Boogalo' was by the fact 'BOOGALO' had a strong influence on it.. many things like airwalking, leg motions, positionings of the body were heavily influenced by the Boogalo which came from the 1960's.

WATCH THIS:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AnTeTHCAIFw

Last edited:
Man, so many of MJs moves arent his......but he makes it look better than the original. But I always thought he was really really original. Ah well....

That's the point- MJ made it look better than the original and introduced those moves to the world. :punk:

Here is a video that gives the history of the moonwalk/ backslide as it was formerly called.
Who do you think does it best?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH0FeiLHH-U

Last edited:
Oh and by the way.. the boogalo dance form was around since the 1960's.. WAY BEFORE Michael Chambers hit the scene.

It was a mixture of Cuba, Puerto Rican, and black dancing that began when they would go to 'Happenings' together. It was primarily a latin dance with a black influence.

The first time it was telivised was on American Bandstand after it became big in clubs.

The way hip-hop dancers started to use the title 'Boogalo' was by the fact 'BOOGALO' had a strong influence on it.. many things like airwalking, leg motions, positionings of the body were heavily influenced by the Boogalo which came from the 1960's.

WATCH THIS:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AnTeTHCAIFw
Actually boogaloo isn't really latin influenced. It was some latin tones, but not much.

Boogaloo started in 1960s in the Oakland/ San Francisco Bay Area. I'm from the area and alot of the originators still reside here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZPKwpvT83Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuYqpWVAiz4

They layed some of the foundation, while they took from tap dancers and pantomimists before them even though, lol. Everyone takes from something or someone. But like you said, Daniles is talented, Michael's even more so. You can see him outdance Daniels in both "Smooth Criminal" and "Bad".

Which one is Daniels on Smooth Criminal and BAD?
Is Daniels one of the wto dancers dancing with Michael straight after the moaning intermission? Why I ask, those two dancers look like they cant catch up, my friends always laugh at them saying" Why does your boy Mike humiliate his dancers like that"

it's a fact.. not opinion that the boogalo was derived from the latin boogalo..

just like the moonwalk was derived from the back float.. Yes todays boogalo is much different than the latin boogalo, but that is where it came from.. It's like it's mother.. No matter how different it may be now..

Which one is Daniels on Smooth Criminal and BAD?
Is Daniels one of the wto dancers dancing with Michael straight after the moaning intermission? Why I ask, those two dancers look like they cant catch up, my friends always laugh at them saying" Why does your boy Mike humiliate his dancers like that"

Daniels isn't actually in the dance troup in "Smooth Criminal" as far as I know, but there is a clip of him rehearsing the steps with Michael, and you can see Michael outdance him. You'll find it if you look it up on youtube and type both of their names and "Smooth Criminal". Daniel's in the "Bad" video is the tall one with the blue jean vest and barret. He's often next to Michael in the video. He's a good dancer, but Michael is much better and how you can tell is in the subtle details of their movement. Who looks more fluid, who connects each pose more seamlessly, with less excess or useless movement, who is faster, more accurate, who has more ease in their step, etc... You can see all of that just by watching them side by side once through. You may not put a detailed description to it like that, but it should be clear to anyones eye.

Michael popularized black culture to the mainstream, in other words, he made legends out of the dancers who he was inspired by save for James Brown, Jackie Wilson, Bob Fosse and Fred Astaire who were already legends when MJ arrived.

Last edited:
Daniels isn't actually in the dance troup in "Smooth Criminal" as far as I know, but there is a clip of him rehearsing the steps with Michael, and you can see Michael outdance him. You'll find it if you look it up on youtube and type both of their names and "Smooth Criminal". Daniel's in the "Bad" video is the tall one with the blue jean vest and barret. He's often next to Michael in the video. He's a good dancer, but Michael is much better and how you can tell is in the subtle details of their movement. Who looks more fluid, who connects each pose more seamlessly, with less excess or useless movement, who is faster, more accurate, who has more ease in their step, etc... You can see all of that just by watching them side by side once through. You may not put a detailed description to it like that, but it should be clear to anyones eye.

I think I've seen that clip of him rehearsing with our boy. As for the BAD video, but I never thought anyone in the BAD video is a dancer by profesion. I remember laughing at all those cats as a kid, I always thought MJ took people from the streets and put them in the video, now you're telling me Daniels is also there. IS THAT HOW GOOD MICHAEL IS?:clapping:

Some of those guys are street dancers, but most of them are trained professionals. Michael's just a superior talent. He makes people look bad, even if they're good.

Last edited:
michael is the best a few of them may not be his but he does it lightyears better than the rest plus, no one taught him the tip toes. And dancing machine show that jeffery daniels didn't teach him as much as people make out. Michael also does the moonwalk better than anybody.

it's a fact.. not opinion that the boogalo was derived from the latin boogalo..

just like the moonwalk was derived from the back float.. Yes todays boogalo is much different than the latin boogalo, but that is where it came from.. It's like it's mother.. No matter how different it may be now..

The word and genre of music : yes, but the style of dance started in the black neighborhoods of Northern California in the early and mid 60s.

^ yeah right :lol:

Jeffrey is an impressive dancer. But a few steps down from Michael. Michael has a certain presence, posture, and control of his body, and excitement - he's more of a performer.

yes, jeffery daniel taught mj alot of his moves but he doesn't define him or his style. MJ is like James Brown an emotional dancer they create alot of moves on the spot.

Back