Jackson had long history with estate executor

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
By LINDA DEUTSCH, AP Special Correspondent – 59 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – A week after Michael Jackson died, his longtime lawyer and friend, John Branca, was summoned to meet with the singer's family. He carried the pop star's will, and with it, an answer to their eagerly awaited question:

Who was to benefit from the King of Pop's estate?

"It was very difficult," Branca recalled. "There were a lot of family members there, his sisters and most of the brothers and his mother, Katherine."

He told them three things. Katherine would be guardian of Michael's three children and receive 40 percent of the estate in trust. The children would also receive 40 percent. The remaining 20 percent would go to unspecified charities to benefit children.

Their reaction would seem to bode well for the days to come.

"Actually, they applauded three times when they were told who got the property," Branca said. "They were thrilled."

It is one reason why Branca, one of two special administrators named in that same will, says he's surprised by the opposition that followed from lawyers representing Mrs. Jackson.

Her legal team has asserted that she should be given "a seat at the table" in executing deals for the estate. They've also been considering a formal challenge to the status of the special administrators, suggesting that conflict of interests and other factors may compromise the qualifications of Branca and co-executor John McClain.

Neither man is unknown to the Jackson family. During more than 20 years as the pop superstar's lawyer, Branca, 58, was a principal architect of Jackson's financial empire, having brokered the deal for the Beatles catalog of records; obtained the rights to master recordings of Jackson's own songs; and negotiated the purchase of Jackson's Neverland estate.

McClain, a childhood friend of Jackson's, crafted a major recording career for Michael's sister Janet, and is a successful record company executive.

Branca plays down any conflict with the Jackson family.

"Everything is going to be fine," he said calmly during a wide-ranging interview with The Associated Press.

Branca and McClain have already won court approval for a deal that will bring the estate $60 million from a movie made of footage shot during rehearsals for the concerts Jackson was to have performed in London. A coffee-table book also was approved. But two multimillion-dollar projects, including a deal to market Jackson merchandise, have been stalled because of objections from Mrs. Jackson's camp.

"We're approaching the $100 million mark if those two deals in front of the court are approved," said Branca. "That's pretty remarkable — in six weeks as executors, to have brought $100 million into the estate."

A wunderkind of entertainment law when he met a young Michael Jackson in 1980, Branca is now regarded as one of the three top entertainment lawyers in the country, a man who's made millions for the Beach Boys, The Doors, Aerosmith, the Rolling Stones and countless other top rock acts. He represents 28 members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

"I've been very fortunate," Branca said. "Growing up, I had five idols and I wound up representing all of them. Elvis was No. 1. Then the Beach Boys, the Rolling Stones, the Doors and Michael and the Jackson 5."

In high school he played keyboard, wrote music and formed a rock band, but music wasn't his only passion: His uncle was famed Brooklyn Dodgers pitcher Ralph Branca, who made baseball history when he served up what became known as the "shot heard 'round the world," Bobby Thomson's home run that cost the Dodgers the 1951 National League pennant.

Branca's father, who encouraged his interest in baseball-card collecting, became the New York State athletic commissioner. At one point Branca had one of the world's most formidable baseball card collections, with major prized pieces including Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio and of course his uncle Ralph, who he's proud to say was one of two white pallbearers at Jackie Robinson's funeral (the other being Pee Wee Reese).

Branca spent his early years in Mount Vernon, N.Y., but later moved to Los Angeles with his mother, actress Barbara Werle who, coincidentally, had a role in the Presley movie "Charo." At Los Angeles City College he first majored in music, but quickly realized he wasn't good enough for the major leagues of rock.

He pursued law instead, seeking a music-related vein soon after graduating from UCLA School of Law. He started by setting up tours for Bob Dylan, George Harrison and Neil Diamond.

"I was in heaven," he recalled. "And then I got the Beach Boys and started my own thing."

He represented the Presley estate for a time, but in 1980 his world changed when an intermediary asked him to meet with Michael Jackson.

"Michael was either 21 or about to turn 21 when I met him and he had never had his own (legal) team," he said. "'Off The Wall' had come out and it was a big hit."

They bonded immediately.

"He said, 'Do I know you?' It was one of those things you have in life where you feel so comfortable with a person you actually feel you do know them. The conversation is easy and the connection is effortless."

He met Jackson's parents briefly, and remembers Mrs. Jackson saying, "Michael, I don't know if he's old enough to be a lawyer."

They were both in their 20s and about to make rock 'n' roll history.

Branca shepherded Jackson through the phenomenal success of the "Thriller" album in 1982 and negotiated the groundbreaking "Thriller" video — as well as a video about the making of the video. And contrary to other versions of the story, he said it was Michael's idea to buy the Beatles catalog after Paul McCartney told Jackson he was investing in buying copyrights to famous songs.

"Michael called me up and he said, 'Branca, I want to buy copyrights.' I said, 'Great.'" He bought copyrights to such songs as "Runaround Sue" and "The Wanderer," and the work of Sly and the Family Stone.

"And then came the mother lode," said Branca. "I found out ATV was for sale and I told Michael. He asked what that was. I said, 'You're not going to believe it: 250 Beatles songs, the Little Richard catalog.' He started screaming on the phone. I actually have a great note he wrote me. It said: 'Branca, the catalog is mine. Don't lose it by over-negotiating.' I framed that note."

Before bidding, he said he checked with Lennon's widow Yoko Ono and McCartney's lawyer and brother-in-law John Eastman to see if they were interested. They were not. It took a year of bidding against others — including British industrialist Richard Branson — before he closed the deal. In 1995, he merged it with Sony to create one of the largest such collections in the world.

In earlier years, Branca also helped Jackson obtain the rights to his recording masters and brokered the purchase of Neverland Ranch, originally offered for $60 million, for a final price of $17.5 million, including all furnishings.

Those deals helped transform Jackson from a rich pop star into a man of extraordinary wealth, and turned Branca's career in the direction of buying and selling music assets. (He recently negotiated the sale of the Rodgers and Hammerstein catalog for $200 million.)

But life with Michael was not all about money, Branca says. At first they were friends, traveling to Disney World together, socializing at Branca's home. Jackson was the best man at Branca's first wedding, bringing with him his pet chimp Bubbles, who was clad in a tiny tuxedo. Little Richard was the minister.

"His personality," Branca says when recalling the young pop superstar, "was just infectious."

In 1990, Jackson tearfully told Branca he wanted to try different representation; though Branca wouldn't confirm it, it's been widely reported that Hollywood mogul and record company executive David Geffen advised Jackson that Branca's influence in his affairs had grown too large. They remained apart for three years, while Branca moved on to other artists.

Branca returned in 1993, at a time when Jackson was being sued in a child molestation case he ultimately settled. But the relationship was different.

"Later on in his career he really had a line between his business and personal life," said Branca. "As people get older, that's not uncommon."

Branca's connections to Elvis would extend to Jackson when he introduced Michael to the King's daughter, Lisa Marie Presley. Branca treasures a portrait of the two after their marriage, which is inscribed in Michael's hand signed by the couple. It reads: "John: To the greatest lawyer of our time."

In 1997 a will was drafted for Jackson — but not, Branca says, by him. Instead, he said he assigned it to a member of his firm who specialized in wills and trusts. It was redone in 2002 because one of Jackson's children had not been born at the time of the first.

Branca said he played no role in advising Jackson on it, but knew the singer did not want a family member in control of his estate. Jackson also felt he did not have to take care of his brothers and sisters, Branca said.

By 2006, Branca says, his relationship with Jackson was troubled once again. The star was listening to an increasingly odd set of advisers — a revolving door of characters who Branca feared did not have the singer's best interests at heart.

"He was surrounded and I had to resign," he said. "He did not ask me to stay. I resigned amicably."

And then, a little more than a month before Jackson died, the call came from Jackson's former manager, Frank Delio.

"Michael wants you to come back," Delio told him. "He wants you to give some thought to what you can do for him, what kind of deals."

Branca drafted an agenda and met with Jackson on June 17 at the Forum in Los Angeles, where the King of Pop was rehearsing for his big comeback.

"I hadn't seen him in several years," Branca said. "We hugged each other. He said, 'John, you're back.' It was very emotional. I showed him the agenda."

It was what Jackson wanted, Branca said — including a concert movie, books and merchandising deals.

"That agenda is exactly what John McClain and I are doing now," Branca said, "for the estate."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090814...lYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA2phY2tzb25oYWRsbw--

I like John, I think he's a good guy and Michael trusted him. I think he is doing and will continue to do a good job. And if he keeps the Jackson family at a distance the more the better.

It was a timely meeting. Makes me feel sad...

Not only this article makes me sure that Branca is the best estate executor...

BTW, Frank is not Delio but Dileo....

Last edited:
All these meetings that happened just before June 25th are awfully weird, on one hand like fate was working to bring everything together but on the other, just odd.
Thanks for posting, it was a nice read nonetheless. I like Branca.

i am too suspicious of a lot of people right now so its better i don't comment.

i will say - i don't trust anyone who has/ had close ties with Sony (I thought his relationship with Sony was one of the reasons he had a falling out with MJ)

someone correct me if I am wrong... its too early. i am quite awake yet.

All these meetings that happened just before June 25th are awfully weird, on one hand like fate was working to bring everything together but on the other, just odd.

The more I think about it, the less weird it becomes. I mean Michael was planning his big comeback, I guess it would be normal for him to be in all sorts of meetings and discussions shortly before the concerts started. :scratch:

The more I think about it, the less weird it becomes. I mean Michael was planning his big comeback, I guess it would be normal for him to be in all sorts of meetings and discussions shortly before the concerts started. :scratch:

Yeah I guess so. I doubt we'll ever really know. My instincts are that Branca's a good guy.

Branca is a good guy. but it sounded funny the bit how they all clapped when they found out who was getting what.

The jury is still out on Branca. I do beleive he has ties with Sony, and that is a major problem with me.

I also hope Katherine is made an excutor as well. She has the right, he is her son. She should know about everything.

Katherine should be a trustee. I think while Michael was alive, he may have wanted to keep the family (meaning Katherine) out, but I don't think he'd think the same way now. my instincts about Branca are that he's a good guy, but the Sony connection really, really bothers me. how deep is that tie?

Katherine should be a trustee. I think while Michael was alive, he may have wanted to keep the family (meaning Katherine) out, but I don't think he'd think the same way now. my instincts about Branca are that he's a good guy, but the Sony connection really, really bothers me. how deep is that tie?

I believe that Michael knew exactly what he was doing when he named Katherine a beneficiary and NOT a trustee. I'm sure she was a fine mother to Michael but I don't think she has the talent necessary to be involved in running his business and I suspect MJ knew that.

Not to mention the more people you have involved in decisions they tend to be worse and tend to take longer as everyone's lawyer wants to have his "say" so his client can see he is "working".

Katherine should be busy enough with his kids and the rest of the family - that is where her expertise is and if she does that well she will really have accomplished something rather than mucking about in matters she is not likely qualified to dabble in and that her son didn't want her involved with in the first place.

The best thing that happened in court is that the kids were appointed someone to look after their financial interests.

Now Katherine should do what what Michael asked her to do, raise his kids. It is a full time job.

I believe that Michael knew exactly what he was doing when he named Katherine a beneficiary and NOT a trustee. I'm sure she was a fine mother to Michael but I don't think she has the talent necessary to be involved in running his business and I suspect MJ knew that.

Not to mention the more people you have involved in decisions they tend to be worse and tend to take longer as everyone's lawyer wants to have his "say" so his client can see he is "working".

Katherine should be busy enough with his kids and the rest of the family - that is where her expertise is and if she does that well she will really have accomplished something rather than mucking about in matters she is not likely qualified to dabble in and that her son didn't want her involved with in the first place.

The best thing that happened in court is that the kids were appointed someone to look after their financial interests.

Now Katherine should do what what Michael asked her to do, raise his kids. It is a full time job.

Well said. I agree with you. :yes:

i agree with everything you said, i like katherine but the i also know if michael wanted her to be a trustee he would have made her one in his will, which he didnt.

People should realize that michael isnt stupid, he loves his mother bt knows full well she doesnt have the knowledge to deal with business matters such as this. And another reason he might have put her out of his business matters is because of the hold joe seems to still have over her, weather we like it or not joe and katherien are still married and it seems she still listen to him on a number of things.
so who is o say if katherine becomes a trustee joe wouldnt influence her on somethings, which is what michael would hate.

he provdes for his family but he has never wanted them involved in his business , and i for one see why; they are not esp good with money matters.

i agree with everything you said, i like katherine but the i also know if michael wanted her to be a trustee he would have made her one in his will, which he didnt.

so who is o say if katherine becomes a trustee joe wouldnt influence her on somethings, which is what michael would hate.

And I agree with you :)

I feel that Joe is likely behind Katherine's push to challenge the trustees.

I'm thinking just like you about the fate thing, but I still don't trust Branca. Michael Jackson is dead and he can't give his side of the story.

For now..., he/Branca does his "mission" great... Michael is selling tens of millions of records, there are great deals reaching 100 mill. dollars..., Sony/ATV wants to purchase another record label..., so... its going to be great!!!

Exactly.

This interview by BRanca is to deal with the heat he is getting from Katherine's lawyers.

All this talk over the last few days of how much he has raised and now an article with AP meant to spread to all media outlets, basically speaking about his long histroy with Michael and profile, is self-promotion

You can see that Branca hardly addressed the concerns Katherine has about him, except when he says in 2006 that he and Michale parted amicably.

But i don't think that was the truth. Michael was in Bahrain and Branca in teh US. At that time, he may have felt he was not profiting as much from being Michael's lawyer, or he may have known Michael no longer trusted him after all the Sony issues.

Dileo seems to have been the one who pursuaded Michael to bring Branca on board.

I mean, there was a lot of influence on Brnca's back because if you have just been brought back, you don't then get the client to sign over all control of his affairs to you, unless that was your intention when you moved back.

That legal document Michael signed was not prepared by him but Branca

What Katherine and Londell are asking is reasonable, let Katherine sit at the same table and watch what you guys are doing.

A guy who can rake in $100 million for an estate must surely be getting a handful of millions under the table.

Again i say this, if Tohme could take $5 million in cash from Michael within one year then claim it was to buy a house later on for Michael, in a year that Michael was not raking in $100million, what amount of money will go under the table as people seek to buy Branca and McLain's favour to have them manage certain deals?

These people will end up being paid as executors and also raking in tens of millions for themselves in under-the-table clever deals

Just like Branca manipulated Michael in 1997 to sell the photo of his first child to OK!, not telling Michael what the OK! owner later said in an interview that he paid Michael's lawyer $2million to seal the deal.

Michael had a reason around 2006 for saying in a deposition that he did not trust Branca. Then Branca resigned. Let Branca talk a bit about why Michael at that point that he resigned, did not trust him.

This interview by BRanca is to deal with the heat he is getting from Katherine's lawyers.

All this talk over the last few days of how much he has raised and now an article with AP meant to spread to all media outlets, basically speaking about his long histroy with Michael and profile, is self-promotion

You can see that Branca hardly addressed the concerns Katherine has about him, except when he says in 2006 that he and Michale parted amicably.

But i don't think that was the truth. Michael was in Bahrain and Branca in teh US. At that time, he may have felt he was not profiting as much from being Michael's lawyer, or he may have known Michael no longer trusted him after all the Sony issues.

Dileo seems to have been the one who pursuaded Michael to bring Branca on board.

I mean, there was a lot of influence on Brnca's back because if you have just been brought back, you don't then get the client to sign over all control of his affairs to you, unless that was your intention when you moved back.

What Katherine and Londell are asking is reasonable, let Katherine sit at the same table and watch what you guys are doing.

A guy who can rake in $100 million for an estate must surely be getting a handful of millions under the table.

Again i say this, if Tohme could take $5 million in cash from Michael within one year then claim it was to buy a house later on for Michael, in a year that Michael was not raking in $100million, what amount of money will go under the table as people seek to buy Branca and McLain's favour to have them manage certain deals?

These people will end up being paid as executors and also raking in tens of millions for themselves in under-the-table clever deals

Just like Branca manipulated Michael in 1997 to sell the photo of his first child to OK!, not telling Michael what the OK! owner later said in an interview that he paid Michael's lawyer $2million to seal the deal.

Michael had a reason around 2006 for saying in a deposition that he did not trust Branca. Then Branca resigned. Let Branca talk a bit about why Michael at that point that he resigned, did not trust him.

exactly. let her have a seat at the table. I'm sure Joe'll try to muscle in there somehow, but I think Katherine knows better by now how to deal with Joe.

I just want her to have a seat. I want her in on the discussions.

This is what Branca's interview is meant to achieve. To get people to say "Let the woman raise the kids and leave the business to us"

If that was the case, then why did Michael appoint Katherine as a trustee in 2006, 2007, 2009 if he didn't want family involved in his business, long after the 2002 will?

If as Branca says, Michael did not want any family in his business affairs, then surely Michael Jackson would never appointed Katherine in 3 years as trustee in his business affairs.

And Katherine should fire back with that because it seems Branca has turned to media publicity to try and keep her out

In 2002, katherine was not a trustee in Michael's affairs, and therefore there was no need to include her in the will as a trustee/executor, but that all changed after 2002

If Katherine is a trustee in Michael's affairs in this year 2009. THEN MJ DIES
Why should she suddenly stop being a trustee in his business affairs in the year 2009 and simply concetrate on "raising the kids"

and don't go with that line of "she's old", "she has kids to look after"....
She has competent lawyers to help her check up on the Brancas
She has competent family members and a nanny to help raise the kids

I MISTRUST ANYONE who tries to keep a mother away from a son's affairs, especially when the mother was involved in those affairs while the son was alive

And Branca knows Katherine has him and McClain cornered on the issue of conflict of interest which teh court cannot ignore without a cure or precaution.

This third executor issue is very easy, it doesn't even involve court. It just needs the two executors to sit and say okay, we will appoint a third executor. Since Katherine was appointed by Michael as a trustee including in 2009 before he passed away, this is the person he most recently trusted with his business affairs and therefore we appoint her on teh table as fellow decision maker. The will allows for this and court cannot refuse.

But what are they doing? They are saying, NO TO ANY JACKSON, NO TO THE MOTHER, we two will manage all the deals and all the affairs and we will overlook that Katherine was a trustee in 2009 before her son passed away.
Look! we are making $100million for the estate.

Last edited:

exactly! his dealings with Sony is a big issue. so many sketchy people in MJs life. makes it so sad.

i am sure branca is good at his job and all.... i still don't trust him.

This is what Branca's interview is meant to achieve. To get people to say "Let the woman raise the kids and leave the business to us"

If that was the case, then why did Michael appoint Katherine as a trustee in 2006, 2007, 2009 if he didn't want family involved in his business, long after the 2002 will?

If as Branca says, Michael did not want any family in his business affairs, then surely Michael Jackson would never appointed Katherine in 3 years as trustee in his business affairs.

And Katherine should fire back with that because it seems Branca has turned to media publicity to try and keep her out

In 2002, katherine was not a trustee in Michael's affairs, and therefore there was no need to include her in the will as a trustee/executor, but that all changed after 2002

If Katherine is a trustee in Michael's affairs in this year 2009. THEN MJ DIES
Why should she suddenly stop being a trustee in his business affairs in the year 2009 and simply concetrate on "raising the kids"

and don't go with that line of "she's old", "she has kids to look after"....
She has competent lawyers to help her check up on the Brancas
She has competent family members and a nanny to help raise the kids

I MISTRUST ANYONE who tries to keep a mother away from a son's affairs, especially when the mother was involved in those affairs while the son was alive

And Branca knows Katherine has him and McClain cornered on the issue of conflict of interest

well said.

Well, its like yes - no case...

Some people believe in Branca (as I do), some dont..., it really doesnt matter ... we can not exactly say who is trustful, we just can assume something by known information, and thats all.

Quarreling is not the answer..., we will see the results within a few years...

we're not quarreling, we're discussing :)

I want to know exactly what ties Branca has to Sony. why did Michael fire him in 2006 (the inside story), and if Katherine was indeed a trustee these past few years, then why should she be kicked out of it now.

but most of all, I want to know why did Michael not update his will after five years? I can't quite believe he didn't do so after 2005/2006. it's a big question mark for me.

The main fact is that Michael in his will did not mention Katherine as a trustee!!!

What do you think she could do, if she has no business or legal education, if she is not business literate???

She could oversee the deals and meetings... thats all.

Sony/ATV got 3 huge important catalogs since 2002 for almost 700 mill. dollars, so...without her and somebody is running the company really good..., even Michael wasnt the big boss, he was in fact out of the dealing..., there are teams of lawyers and businesmen..., so... we must not think about it as a meeting like a family brunch...., just deals, laws, orders, bills, a lot of pieces of complex information....

Back