Jackson 5 Songs that Lifted My Spirits as a Kid in the 60s and 70s

I KNOW!!! I feel bad for today's kids, they don't know what real music is. Then when I say things like that I think about how people musta said the same about the Jackson 5 and artists that were around in the 60s when it was all about the music revolution. :lol: It's just the evolution of music I guess. But I'll take the old stuff over this new mess ANY DAY!

ooooooooooooooo Can You Remember !! Thanks for mentioning that one!!! :D :wub: I love all those but I got stuck at this one :wub:

Can You Remember:

&ampnbsp
&ampnbsp
I have a real soft spot for Can You Remember too. :wub:
I'll always remember it as the first J5 song I heard apart from their first four #1's. There's something so extra nostagic about it like Mike's 'Got To Be There'.

MySerenity5, thanks for pointing out Ain't nothing like the real thing! :D
I like Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell's original version...and the Osmonds' cover. But the J5 are the ones who really do it for me. :wub:

I know :( sad but true. Some of that stuff I don't see how anyone can listen to it without cringing, I mean it sounds worse than noise, its more like noise pollution!

on that note (no pun, really!) .... its time for some funk! Its time for Feelin' Alright!!! :punk:

^ look to the right on the YouTube screen, a little upwards of the middle and you'll see a box where you can select URL or Embed link, and you just copy and paste the Embed link into your post.

Some of them (where it says Embed) will say Embedding has been removed by request, so you have to select one that allows embedding and many of them do (some don't tho)

Last edited:
OMgoodness MJstarlight!!! That is a new one for me!! WHERE did you find it and WHY did I never hear it as a kid :(

I'm so glad I heard it NOW tho :wub: OMgoodness :giggle: I love that song!!!

Its actually ... one of my nic names too ...

oh Michael, Lulu didn't mean it!!
:dropdead: I just know it!

For someone who didn't want to do the variety show you wouldn't know it because he looks like he's having a grand old time up there. Such a young superstar! I have a feeling that even though he didn't want to do the shows, once he got on stage he gave it everything and that is clear in the video you just posted. I love it...

This is another one I love from the variety show. I love the performance, the talking at the end and then he introduces his sisters. ADORABLE!! He looks about 6 feet tall with those long legs. I'm in looooove! :heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdXrEqHJrPk

I dunno how to embed the videos like you guys did above. :(

I was out earlier today and was thinking about this conversation we're having. I went to visit my parents and pulled out some of my dad's old records. I was grooving! I miss the scratchyness of records everyone is so concerned about clear quality but there is something about putting a needle on a record and hearing that scratchy sound that I miss.

I have a real soft spot for Can You Remember too. :wub:
I'll always remember it as the first J5 song I heard apart from their first four #1's. There's something so extra nostagic about it like Mike's 'Got To Be There'.

MySerenity5, thanks for pointing out Ain't nothing like the real thing! :D
I like Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell's original version...and the Osmonds' cover. But the J5 are the ones who really do it for me. :wub:
I enjoyed these posts very much!! And thanks for that link HHMJJ!! :D

Thanks for the embed HHMJJ :D !!

Last edited:
I KNOW!!! I feel bad for today's kids, they don't know what real music is. Then when I say things like that I think about how people musta said the same about the Jackson 5 and artists that were around in the 60s when it was all about the music revolution. :lol: It's just the evolution of music I guess. But I'll take the old stuff over this new mess ANY DAY!

Yeah i guess it is the evolution of music....for kids today Lady GaGa and Lil' Wayne are the greatest of all times LoL And it's funny cause im 23 so i should be all about what's on the radio and what not but NO!! like you i'll take the old stuff any day lol

Last edited:
For someone who didn't want to do the variety show you wouldn't know it because he looks like he's having a grand old time up there. Such a young superstar! I have a feeling that even though he didn't want to do the shows, once he got on stage he gave it everything and that is clear in the video you just posted. I love it...

This is another one I love from the variety show. I love the performance, the talking at the end and then he introduces his sisters. ADORABLE!! He looks about 6 feet tall with those long legs. I'm in looooove! :heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdXrEqHJrPk

I dunno how to embed the videos like you guys did above. :(
I was out earlier today and was thinking about this conversation we're having. I went to visit my parents and pulled out some of my dad's old records. I was grooving! I miss the scratchyness of records everyone is so concerned about clear quality but there is something about putting a needle on a record and hearing that scratchy sound that I miss.

I agree with you Soooo much on this one heartbreak. Before i got a walkman player as a kid i would always beg my grandmother to play records for me on her record player. Theres just something so warm and nostalgic about the scratchy and fuzziness of a record that does something to ya that a cd with crystal clear sound can't.

Oh and i LOVE this song Moving Violation :wub:

Actually, 'I Wanna Be Where You Are' is a Michael Jackson solo. ;)

Some of my fave J5 songs are:

Can You Remember
Their cover of The Delfonics' Ready or Not (Here I Come)
Never Can Say Goodbye
The Wall
Just Because I Love You
To Know
LTTW
Darling Dear of course.
Don't Say Goodbye Again

Heaps more where that came from.

Yeah, I just got confused because I misplaced my Early MJ albums so I lost the song, and when I looked it up on YouTube he performed it with the brothers.

Here's another one I love

OMG! One of my ultimate favourite J5 songs. Keep in mind I have a lot..... =p

Also, I've noticed that I totally enjoy Michael's renditions/covers of a song better than other artists even Stevie Wonder. Okay, just my opinion... Anyone who loves Stevie, dont get mad. :) I love him too. But there is something about hearing that young seasoned soul voice sing with so much emotions as though he has experienced the blues that just takes my breath away.

I've also enjoyed 'In our small way.' I always find that it's a pre-cursor to WATW and HTW. Hahaha! Also, If'n I was God is beautiful. Love is Here and Now You're Gone made me cry..... I hear a symphony which in my opinion he sang better than Diana Ross. Also, I've been digging Doggin Around which was Mike's cover of Jackie Wilson. It's so soulful!!!!!!! I love it! I'll be coming back later.... I have a lot of J5 record and early Mike solo records that I love.

Yeah, I just got confused because I misplaced my Early MJ albums so I lost the song, and when I looked it up on YouTube he performed it with the brothers.
oh yeh :giggle: I'd forgotten about that lil factor ... :no_mention: oh well, I'm sure we can 'cheat' on such a small technical detail for the sake of remniscing eh ;) :lol: but thanks Carina because that totally slipped my mind too!

Also hearing young Michael sing acapella is the most amazing thing ever. :wub:
so true :wub:

Also, I've noticed that I totally enjoy Michael's renditions/covers of a song better than other artists even Stevie Wonder. Okay, just my opinion... Anyone who loves Stevie, dont get mad. :) I love him too. But there is something about hearing that young seasoned soul voice sing with so much emotions as though he has experienced the blues that just takes my breath away.

I've also enjoyed 'In our small way.' I always find that it's a pre-cursor to WATW and HTW. Hahaha! Also, If'n I was God is beautiful. Love is Here and Now You're Gone made me cry..... I hear a symphony which in my opinion he sang better than Diana Ross. Also, I've been digging Doggin Around which was Mike's cover of Jackie Wilson. It's so soulful!!!!!!! I love it! I'll be coming back later.... I have a lot of J5 record and early Mike solo records that I love.
so true too :yes: and I LOVE myself some Stevie music and he is definitely as Michael put it, a "musical prophet".

And even with that, Mike and his brothers' renditions of all the classics are even better! I just heard what sounded like the original 16 Candles today on the Soundtrack Channel on internet radio and Jermaine's is so much more soulful. Its on the Maybe Tomorrow album. Yes, Michael even does the original Supreme hits better than Diana Ross.

Mike once listed Jermaine as one of his favorite singers (sorry don't recall where) and he was one of mine too. Like Michael, he has a very distinctive voice that no one could imitate. His rendition of Bridge Over Troubled Waters by Simon & Garfunkle and Aretha Franklin is the absolute best I've heard. Its on the Third Album with I'll Be There, I wish I could find BOTW on YouTube to share with everyone but I looked and its not there :( .

Speaking of songs like In Our Small Way and speaking of the Third Album, this one song I have posted is one of the most amazing precursors to the "look inside yourself" songs ever made. Its unbelievable to me that it wasn't a single.

I'd love to know if anyone likes it nearly as much as me, or at least a little bit :giggle: Please take a listen ... with eyes closed is best because its a "look within" song, called Reach In, another Michael/Jermaine change-off and Jerm's voice is probably at its best imho and Michael's is so crisp, clear and powerful.

Ah!! I just love it!! :wub:

Last edited:
^^ I like it! Never heard it before, so thank you for posting it! :D

There was sooo much music. I guess that happens when you've been recording since you were 10 years old!

^^ I like it! Never heard it before, so thank you for posting it! :D

There was sooo much music. I guess that happens when you've been recording since you were 10 years old!

That's very true. It's one of the best things about MJ's music...every other day you discover a new song or you have a new favorite song from him lol

^ yes I do feel very blessed, the era I was born in, not just the J5 although they were an enormous part of an era that changed the world in every way

I do feel so blessed :wub:

Well. I guess that calls for another song!! :wild:

You and HeartbreakHotelMJJ love this one too I'll bet. I know nothing could have stopped me from playing this song each and every day!!! :dance:

ah and this footage :dropdead:

:dropdead:you just killed on me on that one.. luv this damn song..

Oh the 1975 concert in Mexico version , OMG, Mike took 'em to church down there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Luvs it when he says "Break it down break it down, love to hear you music, love to hear your song"
the live singing.. lawd you guys are trying to make me cry again for the 3937694075934th time..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVmfG_7q7ZE

What a great thread!! I wasn't born quite yet, but I love the Jackson 5 cover of I Hear A Symphony. No offence to Diana, but Michael outsings her on this one :yes:

What a great thread!! I wasn't born quite yet, but I love the Jackson 5 cover of I Hear A Symphony. No offence to Diana, but Michael outsings her on this one :yes:

i LOVE this song and your right lil mike blew diana outta the water with this one :punk:

Skywriter is another one of my favourites

and corner of the sky :boohoo:

i just love the whole 'skywriter' album :wub:

i LOVE this song and your right lil mike blew diana outta the water with this one :punk:

Skywriter is another one of my favourites

&ampampnbsp
&ampampnbsp

i just love the whole 'skywriter' album :wub:

I know :(

Funny you mentioned Corner of the Sky, I'd been thinking about that song. Well, one consolation is the one line that says, "and don't you see I want my life to be something more than long" :blush:

Thanks for bringing up the Skywriter album .. I LOVE that album so much!!

The song I posted eallier, Touch, is on there ...

... and so is this happy song! It was for the return of the Vietnam Vets

I just love it. Embedding's not working for me right now .. but hopefully those who havne't heard it will have a listen....or if you have ... such a happy song!!
Hallelujah Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94hIPD2mXKI

Can I join this J5's lovers club? :) I'm with you guys about J5 covers - they always did it better then original singers. "Standing in th shadows of love" comes to mind - Mike and Jerm just give shivers down my spine with this one! And "Aint' no sunshine"!!! Much better then original, and all later covers by other artists just suck!

Another hidden treasure is "Can I see you in the morning" Very unsual song. I don't know if it's original or cover.

OH and don't forget this song.. the words to this song are the shit... it amazes me how someone so young sung a song like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qqMdJdMFOw

Oh, girl
I can't get ready (Can't get ready for losing you)
Oh, girl
I can't get ready (Can't get ready for losing you) no, no, no

I can't get ready (Can't get ready)
For losing you (Can't get ready for losing you)
Girl, I can't get ready (Can't get ready) no, no, no
Oh, can't get ready (Can't get ready)
No, girl for losing you
Losing you (Can't get ready for losing you)

Thought I had your love in the palm of my hands
But I let it slip away from me, girl
And now you're happy with another guy
Someone who doesn't make you cry (He doesn't make you cry)
And now it's got me shedding tears
Oh girl, how I wish you were here

'Cause I can't get ready (Can't get ready)
No, for losing you (Can't get ready for losing you) no, no, no
Oh, girl for losing you (Can't get ready for losing you) no, no, no
Can't get ready (Can't get ready) oh girl, for losing you

Girl, I took your love for granted
I know, I know, I treated you so unkind
And now the shoe is on the other foot
And you don't even take a second look
You told me there would come a time
Oh,girl, it's really blowing my mind

'Cause I can't get ready (Can't get ready) no, no, no, no, no
For losing you (Can't get ready for losing you) no, no, no
Can't get ready (Can't get ready)

I Like You The Way You Are and Love's Gone Bad (especally the full J5 version) are both real pick me up's. Mama's Pearl and Get It Together do me in to. Dancing Machine is amazing, Shake Your Body, Your Ways. So many great songs.

ok ok, HBH and SOS you guys not ready for this joint....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzoo882aHoI&feature=related

you gotta watch the whole video and just watch his movements.. up in slowmotion if yo can.. YES LAWD!!!!!! There will be a party when I get to Heaven...

*singing* I WANT DESTINYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY IT'S THE PLACE FOR ME, YEAH YEAH, GIVE ME THE SIMPLE, LET ME BE ME, LET BE FEEL FREE...

NOW DAT BOY CAN SANG, YA HEAR ME..LOL...

This lil whippa snappaz don't know real music...

ok ok ok,, my last post for today...
ok my favorite song of all times is BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE... I have told everyone that will listen to me that BIOTB is my fav.... so of course I must post it... it is during the Jacksons era.... um can I just tell you that the afro was on point....

Ok I don't want you all to faint when you see the video.. cuz Mike is looking ultra cute in his Old Navy Cargo pants .. U not ready for that style.. Jackie cld get it too....

Um HBH stay away from my boo, I know he is sexy and all but u must respect my wishes and the afro... You know I will cut a chick over Afro MJ... roflll

oh and look at Marlon's lips, his lip gloss be poppin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjW1iq4IO2k

check out how he takes all of us to church starting @2:50.. u not ready, u can't handle the boogie.. *sidenote* i am crying my damn eyes out as I watch this video.... hell i can't take it

:lol: I LOVE BIOTB. He's absolutely THE cutest, and looks so happy! Sometimes I see vids of him at this stage and I almost can't watch them because he's just too much!

Stan's seen this one before but these two are my new favs...

Life of the Party. (SOOOO jealous of Mike's fluffy fro! :heart: )

AND...

Forever Came Today...

Can I join this J5's lovers club? :) I'm with you guys about J5 covers - they always did it better then original singers. "Standing in th shadows of love" comes to mind - Mike and Jerm just give shivers down my spine with this one! And "Aint' no sunshine"!!! Much better then original, and all later covers by other artists just suck!

Another hidden treasure is "Can I see you in the morning" Very unsual song. I don't know if it's original or cover.
OH Yesss!! come one come all to the Jackson Five Funk Revisited thread! :D You posted some AWESOME favorites of mine!

The Third Album was my FIRST album! and I LOVED everything about it!! I LUVVVVVVV Can I See You In The Morning :wild: If anyone hasn't heard it you will be SO GLAD you had a listen to this!! :listeningtomusic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPud...60FE3B0D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=21

and that Standing In the Shadows of Love!! :wild: You are 100% right!! It is theeeee best EVER :blush: sorry Four Tops :D but the J5's is better

It's another one where MJ and Jermaine alternate and Jermaine's "old soul" is awesome too and their harmonies! Amazing! Both of them sound like old men :giggle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayIp...29EEED80&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28

I don't mean to be greedy but this is a nice medley of all the songs on the Third Album, came out after the ABC album :wub: :wub: :wub: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zrj2o2ZYNM

OH and don't forget this song.. the words to this song are the shit... it amazes me how someone so young sung a song like this..

Oh, girl
Oh, girl

No, girl for losing you

Thanks so much for posting this song!! The whole time I was listening to it I was realizing that with so many unheard songs by the Jackson 5, it means Michael literally did spend his whole entire childhood working :( ... his WHOLE childhood :boohoo: :blush:

but it wasn't all for nothing because it brought so many so much joy, education and inspiration :yes:
I Like You The Way You Are and Love's Gone Bad (especally the full J5 version) are both real pick me up's. Mama's Pearl and Get It Together do me in to. Dancing Machine is amazing, Shake Your Body, Your Ways. So many great songs.
I haven't heard those first two - what albums are they on? :)

Love Mama's Pearl :wub: and all the others you named ...

:wild: ESPECIALLY Dancin'! Dancin'! Dancinnnn! She's a dancin' macheeeeeeeeeeeeen

you gotta watch the whole video and just watch his movements.. up in slowmotion if yo can.. YES LAWD!!!!!! There will be a party when I get to Heaven...

*singing* I WANT DESTINYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY IT'S THE PLACE FOR ME, YEAH YEAH, GIVE ME THE SIMPLE, LET ME BE ME, LET BE FEEL FREE...

:lol: YOU ARE BAAAAAAAAAAAD :giggle: You are RIGHT that is the umm ummm goooodest peice of footage in every way! Thanks a mil for posting that!! :yes: just what the doctor ordered

ok my favorite song of all times is BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE... I have told everyone that will listen to me that BIOTB is my fav.... so of course I must post it... it is during the Jacksons era.... um can I just tell you that the afro was on point....

Ok I don't want you all to faint when you see the video.. cuz Mike is looking ultra cute in his Old Navy Cargo pants .. U not ready for that style.. Jackie cld get it too....

Um HBH stay away from my boo, I know he is sexy and all but u must respect my wishes and the afro... You know I will cut a chick over Afro MJ... roflll

check out how he takes all of us to church starting @2:50.. u not ready, u can't handle the boogie.. *sidenote* i am crying my damn eyes out as I watch this video.... hell i can't take it
Thank you thank you thank you for posting this!!! You all are lifting my spirits all over again!!!! :D THANKS EVERYBODY we're just having (in the words of Mike's mentor) a fonky good time!!!!

Last edited:

OH Yesss!! You are SO welcome! Come one come all to the Jackson Five Funk Revisited thread! :D You posted some AWESOME favorites of mine too, thanks so much! The Third Album was my FIRST album! and I LOVED everything about it!! I LUVVVVVVV Can I See You In The Morning :wild: If anyone hasn't heard it you will be SO GLAD you had a listen to this!! :listeningtomusic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPud...60FE3B0D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=21

and that Standing In the Shadows of Love!! :wild: You are 100% right!! It is theeeee best EVER :blush: sorry Four Tops

It's another one where MJ and Jermaine alternate and Jermaine's "old soul" is awesome and their harmonies!! Both of them sound like old men http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayIp...29EEED80&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28

I don't mean to be greedy but this is a nice medley of the Third Album, came out after the ABC album :wub: :wub: :wub: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zrj2o2ZYNM

Oh, girl
Oh, girl

No, girl for losing you

Thanks so much for posting this song!! The whole time I was listening to it I was realizing that with so many unheard songs by the Jackson 5, it means Michael literally did spend his whole entire childhood working :( ... his WHOLE childhood :boohoo: :blush:

but it wasn't all for nothing because it brought so many so much joy, education and inspiration :yes:
I haven't heard those first two - what albums are they on? :)

Love Mama's Pearl :wub: and all the others you named ...

:wild: ESPECIALLY Dancin'! Dancin'! Dancinnnn! She's a dancin' macheeeeeeeeeeeeen

:lol: YOU ARE BAAAAAAAAAAAD :giggle: You are RIGHT that is the umm ummm goooodest peice of footage in every way! Thanks a mil for posting that!! :yes: just what the doctor ordered

Thank you thank you thank you for posting this!!! You all are lifting my spirits all over again!!!! :D THANKS!! this is so much fun!

Last edited:
Back