Is Michael Jackson Underrated?

Datsymay you speak nothing but the truth. I totally agree with you 100%. Everytime they predict MJ's supposed doom, he always comes back and proves them wrong and they are left eating crow. I ain't sweatin the small stuff. The good times are here as Rasta Pasts has stated so... let the good times roll. MJ is laughing all the way to the bank and you can count on that!

Well, people understimate his talent as producer. Most of them think he can't produce anything alone, or he can't write anything alone.
MJ can and he could easily prove them wrong, but I don't think he will ever do such a brave thing.

Well, people understimate his talent as producer. Most of them think he can't produce anything alone, or he can't write anything alone.
MJ can and he could easily prove them wrong, but I don't think he will ever do such a brave thing.

Yeah, but MJ realizes that the best product is made with different minds being involved..Remember how he said the competition with Rod temperton brought out the best in him. I remember when Invincible was being made and MJ breifly talked to Sean Puffy Combs about help, but Puffy wanted to produce the whole thing himself..The reports said Mike just laughed at him.

MJ is definitely underrated, but so are several artists from the past. I hate when people say "I like MJ's old stuff" when they haven't even heard the new stuff. I let them hear some of the upbeat tracks on Invincible and they are usually impressed.

I've got a lot of friends who listen to hip-hop, and if they caught me listening to Elton John or Prince or someone they'd probably have a joke at my expense, yet most of the popular hip-hop artists like Jay-Z and Kanye West listen to that kind of stuff too. I wish some of the blind fans of hip-hop and rap would realize that they have lots of musical inspirations as well. Hell, look how often Phil Collins is sampled in hip-hop.

So in a sense, many artists are underrated.

Last edited:
You're telling me Superstition. I just despise it when people say they like his old stuff and you just know they haven't even heard his newer stuff.

And might I add in terms of his Motown work and Jacksons work, overlooked in that regard. Michael Jackson between 11 and 20 years old produced some of the greatest work of the 20th century and on top of that, his singing and dancing was off the hook. Chris Brown and Usher hardly matched up to Michael when he was their ages when they first started! Real talk.

But that's because it was sooo long ago. He definitely wasn't underrated when the motown stuff was current. People thought he was a 45 year old midget remember! :lol:

I have never heard of anyone who thought Michael could not write considering he wrote Billie Jean, Beat it, WBSS and many other hits off his records.

I have to agree w/Anyway. Most people i've come across just think MJ is a "Song & Dance" Man. Many don't know that he writes, produces, etc.

Last edited:
I find that alot now-that Michael is now only an 80's artist. Will Michael be able to comeback and sell some 20 somethin' records, or will he always be underrated? Your thoughts?

If somebody says you that he has done nothing since thriller , answer "you have a heavy lack of musical culture and from that point we cannot even discuss each other about real music ".lol

YES...... Underrated.

I don't think I need to even explaine.... or do I?

UNDERRATED is to judge the value, degree, or worth of somebody or something to be less than it really is..

UNDERESTIMATED is believing less than what that person is capable of..

Underrated is often is about having TOO LITTLE of recognition of a persons accomplishments and abilities..

Underestimated is often about people not thinking that person is capable, but they really are..

Hope that explaines it ok.. Kinda hard because they feed off each other.. Underestimation comes in result to being underrated.. and vice versa..

Last edited:
Back