Is Beyoncé the New Michael Jackson?

Bubs

Proud Member

In August 2008, recording artist and actress Beyoncé Knowles featured in a magazine ad for cosmetics giant L'Oréal Paris and their Feria hair colour range. The ad drew controversy when the company were accused of deliberately lightening her skin in the photograph. (A charge they vehemently denied). This led to rumors that Beyoncé herself was using skin bleach. There had also been a prior unsubstantiated claim that during her time in the R'n'B group Destiny's Child, her father Mathew Knowles persuaded her to use skin treatments in order that she stand out as the lightest member of the band.

Since then the accusations leveled at her have failed to dissipate, and indeed were further fueled by a subsequent paparazzi image of the singing star shopping in Los Angeles in February 2011, displaying very pale skin on her face and legs.

There was more controversy on January 17, 2012 when the Grammy award-winning singer's record company released a startling new promotional picture for her album, '4', which originally came out in 2011. The image -- featuring Knowles reclining on a leopard print sofa as a light-skinned blonde with straight hair and dark red lipstick -- is unrecognizable from previous images of her. The photo sparked fresh outcry in the press. "White out of order!" screamed a headline in The Daily Mail.

Right from the beginning of her career, Knowles racial ambiguity has been seen as a key selling point, allowing her to crossover to a wider audience. "Beyoncé has become a crossover sex symbol a la Halle Berry, a black girl who's not so overwhelmingly Nubian that white people don't appreciate her beauty," said Touré in Rolling Stone. In fact, the effectiveness of Beyoncé's crossover beauty is such that a number of her fans are actually not sure whether she is black or white. According to Google's search statistics, approximately 400 global Internet users type the phrase "Is Beyoncé black?" into their browsers every month.

Critics have accused her of setting a bad example to young people of color around the world, who may be negatively influenced into believing that light skin is more attractive. These are the kinds of concerns that are believed to be driving the market for dangerous skin-lightening creams that are currently used within ethnic communities.

But it is difficult to see how Knowles and her fellow black female R'n'B contemporaries can be held to account for a generation of aesthetically insecure young women of color from around the world. Indeed, the use of skin-lightening creams within the African American community actually pre-dates the era of black celebrity by some distance. The first products appeared on the market in the 1890s, when there were no nationally famous black role models for women to be influenced by. This suggests that the real reasons are somewhat more complex and deep-rooted that some would admit.

Nevertheless, despite all this there is no proof that Beyoncé's pale skin is not simply the result of bright studio lighting or the glare of a paparazzo's flashbulb, as opposed to skin bleaching or manipulation via Photoshop. Beyoncé is naturally light-skinned, (her mother is a Louisiana Créole -- a mix of African, Native American and French), and so it doesn't take much lighting to make her appear pale. Nevertheless, her critics still argue that it is politically incorrect of her not to promote a darker image.

The debate is beginning to veer very close to accusations once directed towards another R'n'B icon, Michael Jackson. For 20 years he was vilified by the media and members of the public for bleaching his skin, under accusations of not wanting to be black. But upon his death in 2009, the autopsy confirmed what he'd stated all along -- that he suffered from the skin disease vitiligo, which stripped away his brown pigment, turning him pale. With Jackson gone, it now seems as if Beyoncé has been positioned in the crosshairs as pop's new bogeyman for pale-skinned blackness. Is she destined to be perpetually vilified over the issue, just as Jackson was? Time will tell.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-arogundade/beyonce-skin-lightening_b_1600428.html

tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png

Maybe if I start to sing pop music I could be claimed as new Michael Jackson as well :D:D Who knows

Don´t they know she is a woman and Michael was a man

^^ Did you read the article or just title?

Seeing the last para admits mj had vitiligo, the article's title makes no sense unless beyonce too is suffering from vitiligo which she has never claimed. Just another stupid use of mj in a title to get more hits.

'King' bey definitely sees herself as the new mj but i'm sure this isn't the type of article her pr would want for her.

So the writer acknowledges that Michael had vitiligo and still wrote that garbage article? I guess nobody can quite bring in website traffic quite like Michael, not even big stars like Beyonce.

I really hate these 'Is random singer the new MJ?' articles...

Hmm, I think when the writer wrote is Beyonce next Michael, he meant that, is Beyonce going to be the next person that tabloids are going to vilify, just because of her skin colour.

Bubs;3658445 said:
With Jackson gone, it now seems as if Beyoncé has been positioned in the crosshairs as pop's new bogeyman for pale-skinned blackness.
That's what they are dying for! Another person whom they (the press) can pick on again, another target. At least there is something positive in this article: someone actually read the bloody autopsy report. Hell must have frozen over...

Hmm, I think when the writer wrote is Beyonce next Michael, he meant that, is Beyonce going to be the next person that tabloids are going to vilify, just because of her skin colour.

Given the last paragraph, I agree. I don't think the article is anti Michael, in fact, if I'm reading it right, it shows up tabloid journalism.

I don't think she will, no one gets michael's kinda of hate and humiliation from media and i hope no one will. Even before i became mj fans, i always felt media never treat michael as human. It was so terrible. "abuse" is the correct word. what I read about beyonce is very friendly and pro her at least that's what I read. IMO this article tried to make something from nothing. PR?

Huffington post used to attack mj big time years back. now they talk about him every chance they get regardless of how legit an article is to get traffic

Michael told the truth the whole time yet people refused to believe him. Like he made the condition up when other people suffer from it too but they are not one of the most famous people in the world. I am amazed the writer actually paid attention to the autopsy.

I am tired of these.... is the next Michael but this title is misleading as it is not talking about music etc but skin color. Why is skin color so important? It's about who you are as a person and what you bring to the world. Michael was hurt by how badly people treated him but I don't think he would ever wish that on someone else. I don't wish that on Beyonce or anyone.

Why can't she just be Beyonce? What's the point to be the New MJ? I never get it. MJ curved his name in the history already. No one would be New MJ. Beyonce had her own place in pop music. It's boring for the journalist to bring the same topic again and again. How many people had they mentioned for all these years?

These people are always lookin for the next Michael Jackson but, they wouldn't even let Michael Jackson be Michael Jackson. Yet every just they get there lookin for a replacement? Whatevea! This article is rather dumb and misleading doesn't even get to MJ Viltilgo until the end! Besides we will never see the ABUSE MJ suffered on another celeb. So HELL no she ain't the next MJ in the media nor in Music...PLEASE! -_- MJ talent is like no other!

The debate is beginning to veer very close to accusations once directed towards another R'n'B icon, Michael Jackson. For 20 years he was vilified by the media and members of the public for bleaching his skin, under accusations of not wanting to be black. But upon his death in 2009, the autopsy confirmed what he'd stated all along -- that he suffered from the skin disease vitiligo, which stripped away his brown pigment, turning him pale.

So someone actually read the autopsy report.

Could'nt care less about the rest of the article, but I am glad that the point about MJ was made.

Poor Beyonce, media / people just trying to have a hate fest with her for no damn reason other than being jealous. The hate that was dished out to MJ in regards to his skin colour, I would'nt wish on anyone.

Last edited:
Bubs;3658445 said:

No, but I did ask the question about 5 years ago. :sleep:

AT the time, I was listening to "Yes" by Beyonce and it hit me how good her vocals were
and her ability to emote so well on the song. Reminded me of MJ ......or maybe I was
just gonna think about him anyway.

I'm truly disheartened by the replies to this post:cry: Seemingly the most of the posters missed the whole point of the article!
Some of you repeat well rehearsed mantra: There is no other Michael Jackson, no one can be MJ.....
That wasn't the case in the article!

At least people commenting on HP, really got the point:
"I think people are missing the point of this article, he is not saying Beyonce is the artistic equivalent to MJ, he is comparing their treatment by the media/public. I personally think that the people who criticized MJ & are now criticizing Beyonce have a problem with their own racial identity and are projecting it onto them. MJ had to deal with this cr*p for decades & there are still people who refuse to believe that he was telling the truth about his disease even though it's confirmed in his autopsy & his son suffers from it. The media are to blame for this (including black media outlets), they continue to peddle the idea that MJ bleached his skin & that he somehow didn't like being black which couldn't be further from the truth."
---------------------------------------
"I hate to see this type of abuse leveled at Beyonce. The media and tabloids will print, publish or broadcast whatever garners them ratings and thus profits. They'll stir up speculation or twist the truth about anyone or anything for that purpose. But she has been criticized mildly compared to what Michael endured. We haven't seen anyone incessantly and consistently abused by both tabloids and alleged 'news' media to the level he was and as long-term as he was -- and many of us don't want to again.

I appreciate your pointing out that Jackson in fact did have a skin condition that destroyed the pigment in his skin. His autopsy confirmed that. But media "personalities" such as Diane Dimond, Martin Bashir and others who helped shove Jackson into an early grave with decades of twisted speculation & misrepresentation of facts are as insidious as ever. It seems a new one surfaces almost daily seeking to build their "career" off the lives of some entertainment celebrity or other. And you do have to wonder: Who's next?

If it's not Beyonce, it may be someone else. That spectre ought to give us all pause for concern. We've seen how the media will literally destroy lives to keep their ratings and therefore corporate profits flowing. The worst of it occurred when Jackson was alive, but continues now even after his death.

Interestingly, not a one of them has apologized for or admitted their error in misrepresenting Jackson 's now-proven skin condition."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"There's something deeply wrong with a culture that bases everything on the tone of skin. For years biased media was set against Michael Jackson and went out of their way to dehumanize him to the point that crude jokes about him were consider acceptable fodder on TV. Rather than accepting his declaration that he had vitilgo it took his autopsy to prove that he'd been telling the truth and the media had been lying. We have critics who question Beyonce lightening her pictures but noticably no one asking why Paris Jackson's pictures are routinely lightened by the media. Is it just one more attempt to discredit her father, a proud black man? To create a doubt that his three children are not his own? The media also purposely ignores the fact that Prince has inherited his father's vitiligo. What is the purpose of this deceitfulness? The fact that this article had to be written is sad. When will we move on from the focus of skintone and race? There are only two races- a moral one and an immoral one. To which one do we wish to belong?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The whole article is unadulterated claptrap. Nothing to do with Beyonce being the next MJ - more like 'Is Beyonce bleaching her skin too?' Then you get the oxymoron that Michael did indeed have vitiligo which detracts from the entire article completely. Not really sure is this classes as racism? The article hints that Beyonce wants to be whiter - whatever the hell that means. Must be a slow news day and 'they' know that by using Michael's name the article will be widely read. Total morons.

Bubs;3658445 said:
The debate is beginning to veer very close to accusations once directed towards another R'n'B icon, Michael Jackson. For 20 years he was vilified by the media and members of the public for bleaching his skin, under accusations of not wanting to be black. But upon his death in 2009, the autopsy confirmed what he'd stated all along -- that he suffered from the skin disease vitiligo, which stripped away his brown pigment, turning him pale. With Jackson gone, it now seems as if Beyoncé has been positioned in the crosshairs as pop's new bogeyman for pale-skinned blackness. Is she destined to be perpetually vilified over the issue, just as Jackson was? Time will tell.

As someone once said: "what about all the millions of people who sit out in the sun, to become darker, to become other than what they are. No one says nothing about that."

Back