Is anyone else bored by current pop music?

to till the truth even rock music,, i listen to the GN'R Use Your Illusion's and i really miss good music,, pop is even worse my iPod's most 50 Played tracks are all from Pre-1995, yes there are a few here and there "Amy Winehouse as arXter pointed out" but what the hell 20 good artist from 20K! the Billboard Hot100 only got 3 or 5 songs max that are worth listing to..

but i moved to J-Pop or Japanese Pop ,, at least there is talent there!!

Last edited:
in a way, i think it is quite like tabloids in that such particular audiences would go for whatever is fed to them without effort to dig deeper and outside the box into something they may find more stimulating. how would they be aware of underground/lesser-known talent unless they get decent exposure, promotion and marketing from the labels? i think the output is heavily controlled by the executives and the formula is to stick to what works financially.

i agree. i think it will (and it is) revolutionising the sale of niche music as opposed to perpetuating mainstream conformity. more and more people around the world are getting easy and open access to a wider horizon of music and they can quite easily find their niche in it. that's if our anticipation of a complete digital-rule comes to fruition which it seems to be doing.

but then again it will be up to labels to promote and market artists into popularity. so i believe we'll still need a change from their end.

it was in response to "sounds pretty much like soul". personal tastes aside, soul music has become quite elemental in that even our standard contemporary R&B of the late 80s-90s had a founding influence from it. so R&B is 'just' another fusion of different genres. unless you're a pioneer like John Cage or something, i believe almost every popular genre is made up of close/distinguishable influences from others before it. as for what you may like of current music, i think it's just a matter of putting effort to hunt and dig for it since we have that easy option with the internet. or you may never find something current you like lol but great talent and creativity is still there imo...
Agreed about Winehouse and Badu.

Well, maybe it won't be labels making artists popular anymore. I really don't know anyone who doesn't find new music from the net, and I find people are looking outside the box these days. And sales are down, the labels know it, I'm sure they're aware that their current approach is not working as well as it used to... All those niche markets add up to a lot of music. Maybe 'mainstream' will eventually become a thing of the past, who knows.

Well, been listening to lots of stuff; I'll keep trying to find artists that I find creative and talented. I still think the pickin's are relatively slim, but maybe if I try harder...

I like Muse and Jamiroquai a lot, and I do like a song here and there by lesser known artists such as Billy Talent, Jully Black and others.

I agree absolutely that music evolves. Everything influences everything else. Have always said so. Maybe I'm just bored lately cuz nothing's been clicking with me lately except old stuff. I do have faith that humanity will keep the ball rolling though. Maybe I just don't see the possibility at the moment that something would happen to revolutionize music on a global scale through some hugely talented artist. Maybe I've just been too spoiled by MJ. Such huge, major talent in so many areas. So much pales in comparison.

Wow, a John Cage reference! Do you know much about contemporary classical music? (Well, Cage is getting pretty old to be called contemporary, I guess.) That's a genre that I have investigated, and I find the same thing there; a few things are awesome, but not all that much. Perhaps it only appears to me that there was more good music in the past, because generally only the good stuff lasts...

It might be interesting to start a thread on musical pioneers. The people who revolutionized music. I should do that...

Last edited:
Agreed about Winehouse and Badu.

Well, maybe it won't be labels making artists popular anymore. I really don't know anyone who doesn't find new music from the net, and I find people are looking outside the box these days. And sales are down, the labels know it, I'm sure they're aware that their current approach is not working as well as it used to... All those niche markets add up to a lot of music. Maybe 'mainstream' will eventually become a thing of the past, who knows.
fingerscrossed.gif
lol

I agree absolutely that music evolves. Everything influences everything else. Have always said so. Maybe I'm just bored lately cuz nothing's been clicking with me lately except old stuff. I do have faith that humanity will keep the ball rolling though. Maybe I just don't see the possibility at the moment that something would happen to revolutionize music on a global scale through some hugely talented artist. Maybe I've just been too spoiled by MJ. Such huge, major talent in so many areas. So much pales in comparison.
well i too don't see a big wave coming anytime soon. i was about to say that maybe i lowered my standards (since MJ) but we'll just go with you being spoiled by him
icon10.gif
and the weird thing is i find that just about every current artist i enjoy listening to is heavily inspired by Prince and i don't even listen that much to Prince! but anyway, that's another issue altogether lol

Wow, a John Cage reference! Do you know much about contemporary classical music? (Well, Cage is getting pretty old to be called contemporary, I guess.) That's a genre that I have investigated, and I find the same thing there; a few things are awesome, but not all that much.
hey good stuff.. i love me some 20th century Classical music and a bit into its contemporary kind (like you said, only a few things are good lol). i don't really listen to much before that period.. as for contemporary, John Cage was the first bloke that introduced me to it and since then i've explored the likes of John Corigliano (The Red Violin) and Frederik Rzewski (who is also nicely influenced by two of my favourite composers Rach and Chopin along with African-American music so you can't get any better than that!). but i'm not exactly a Classical nut - just 20thC stuff.

Perhaps it only appears to me that there was more good music in the past, because generally only the good stuff lasts...
true and keeping on topic, i also think all the great underground stuff that has been dismissed at any one time will eventually come out and be recognised in another era, especially since we now have digital storage that is available to just about everyone.

Last edited:
the likes of Amy Winehouse and Erykah Badu definitely deserve their success (and more) but i think they're an exception from many other less deserved acts the industry is feeding us...

True...

Soulja Boy...what the hecks that all about? All these silly little teenage "singers"...Miley (whatever her 2nd name is), Ashley Tisdale, Jessica Simpson bla bla bla.

Theres these two new girls who just got a record deal or something and i seen them on TV, they are from here (UK) and they're name is Brit And Alex and OMG they are ****!!!!

Madonna's 4 minutes, i don't know what to think of it, i like it but i get really bored of it half way through...

I aspire to be an artist and threads like this REALLY worry me, in case people don't buy my CD's and by the time i'm 21-24, it's "dead"... :cry:

Last edited:
I think the problem is that the market is saturated and people have too many to chose from. It makes it very dofficult for the genuine talent to get seen.

I think the problem is that the market is saturated and people have too many to chose from. It makes it very dofficult for the genuine talent to get seen.
i agree with that alongside eighthnoterojo's remark that "all those niche markets add up to a lot of music" so it i think it really does make it difficult to extract the cream of the crop. but i also believe the powers that be are making it more difficult by showcasing the wrong and "safe" talents. pure mediocrity is what we get most of the time imo.

Songs these days lack a TRULY catchy meloday with MEANINGFUL lyrics.

We are lacking artists who can sing live and dance well, express themselves.

We are lacking artists who capture emotions.

Our music videos need more story, need to be creative and capture emotion. Great example is "Billie Jean" music video.

^^^ If only more artists done that then woaha!

If God grants me the blessing of a record deal then i hope to do the mentioned above. *prays quietly* :D

well i too don't see a big wave coming anytime soon. i was about to say that maybe i lowered my standards (since MJ) but we'll just go with you being spoiled by him
icon10.gif
No no, you lowered your standards. :p
hey good stuff.. i love me some 20th century Classical music and a bit into its contemporary kind (like you said, only a few things are good lol). i don't really listen to much before that period.. as for contemporary, John Cage was the first bloke that introduced me to it and since then i've explored the likes of John Corigliano (The Red Violin) and Frederik Rzewski (who is also nicely influenced by two of my favourite composers Rach and Chopin along with African-American music so you can't get any better than that!). but i'm not exactly a Classical nut - just 20thC stuff.
Ack! I looove Rzewski's Winsboro Cotton Mill Blues! Probably my very fav ccm piece. That and Ligeti's L'Escalier du Diable. So you like a bit of Romantic era stuff though, like Chopin and Rach.. And I loove classical music of the 20th century; R. Strauss, Stravinsky, Poulenc; heaps of composers. Debussy and Ravel from late 19th, early 20th century as well wrote my fav all time pieces of music.
true and keeping on topic, i also think all the great underground stuff that has been dismissed at any one time will eventually come out and be recognised in another era, especially since we now have digital storage that is available to just about everyone.
Bound to happen, I would guess.

If we could transport ourselves into the future, then we wouldn't have to do so much 'weeding out' work right now. :D

Last edited:
music in general is FAST FOOD right now..

I'm just waiting for Michaels home cooked album..

We're all starving for some good ol' cooking.

Our music videos need more story, need to be creative and capture emotion. Great example is "Billie Jean" music video.
What's the point of spending a bunch of money on a music video, when no one really shows them anymore?

music in general is FAST FOOD right now..

I'm just waiting for Michaels home cooked album..

We're all starving for some good ol' cooking.

Brilliant analogy :lol:

And ya know there are good artists though out there. John Mayer being one of them. Every generation has their "WTF?" moments in music.

Well maybe except the 60s and before...

but everything afterwards...there have been some WTF moments :lol:

Music started getting bad around the mid-90s and it's just been on the decline since then. If you compare music now to even the early 90s, it's just sad. Music used to have melody, good singers, good songwriters, memorable songs. The focus used to be more on the art then the image, not any more. I actually read a review of the new Mariah Carey concert on amazon and this idiot was like "she didn't even dance, she just stood there stiff as a board". I'm like "Yo dumbass, she's a SINGER, not a dancer." But everyone expects everyone to dance now, it's a requiernment, even when you have no ability whatsoever in that area. Like I said, it's not enough to be truly gifted in one area anymore, people would rather see someone who is average at a bunch of things then truly great at one thing.

Last edited:
mariah looks better when she don't try to move LOL girlfriend got no rhythm anyway. that gene was left out her DNA :giggle:

Music started getting bad around the mid-90s and it's just been on the decline since then. If you compare music now to even the early 90s, it's just sad. Music used to have melody, good singers, good songwriters, memorable songs. The focus used to be more on the art then the image, not any more. I actually read a review of the new Mariah Carey concert on amazon and this idiot was like "she didn't even dance, she just stood there stiff as a board". I'm like "Yo dumbass, she's a SINGER, not a dancer." But everyone expects everyone to dance now, it's a requiernment, even when you have no ability whatsoever in that area. Like I said, it's not enough to be truly gifted in one area anymore, people would rather see someone who is average at a bunch of things then truly great at one thing.

I completly agree and I also think that WE the public have alot to do with it to. I think for the most part the mainstream music is really projected towards the youth. Im not saying that JUST youth exactly listen to it though but majority are just teens and young adults. They vote for these crap artists, they go to their concerts and buy their junk. I just think its sad because the media has the power over alot of people because people are so naive. If your not exposed to good music and all you know is crap, your going to just be use to seeing something done one way all the time. Its also sad that they think alot of the artists now are doing innovative things when in fact its been done plenty of times in the past. All the music related shows and award shows are straight up garbage now. Its been a decline of interest in the grammies,MTV, etc you name it because the music is crap, they just give out awards to people who are "popular" at the moment not on real quality. Society is changing and alot of people are more accepting of mediocrity now because nobody hasn't said anything about it. People continue to request crap songs and go to these wack concerts. I really don't see the music industry getting any better at this rate. We have truly seen the last of the legends ending with Prince and Michael Jackson.

Mainstream music has always been geared towards the youth. And older people always said it was noise, the difference today is that it's really true, lol.

Yes, I don't listen to much mainstream music anymore. American mainstream anyway.

yeeeeeaahh i guess u guys are right. But i try to pick out the good artists and create a solid place for them to live in my ipod and WMP (lol)....and never listen to the radio. So to me today's music isnt so bad cuz i dont' listen to the crap :lol: John Mayer, Nelly Furtado, Rihanna, Common, BEP, Neyo, Mary J Blige, Maroon 5...off the top of my head...are pretty decent.

to till the truth even rock music,, i listen to the GN'R Use Your Illusion's and i really miss good music,, pop is even worse my iPod's most 50 Played tracks are all from Pre-1995, yes there are a few here and there "Amy Winehouse as arXter pointed out" but what the hell 20 good artist from 20K! the Billboard Hot100 only got 3 or 5 songs max that are worth listing to..

but i moved to J-Pop or Japanese Pop ,, at least there is talent there!!

I disagree, there are a lot of talented rock artists around right now. To name a few, Radiohead, Coldplay, Muse, The White Stripes, Tool, Foo Fighters, Travis, Modest Mouse, Queens Of The Stone Age, etc. In fact, I'd wager that there are more talented rock bands around today than there are talented R&B, Pop, and Rap/Hip Hop artists combined.

Last edited:
maybe because people like to focus more on the talented rock bands than talented R&B artists. I can name just as many talented R&B/Pop/ Rap artists now a days.

Nobody has the talent Michael does, that goes for past and present. But the difference between the industry today and the industry of yesterday is that, while there's always been fluff, it used to be the talent that got the awards, got the air time and TV time and dominated the charts, while today it's the fluff that gets all that. Michael inadvertantly messed the industry up by being so talented though, because he had and has world class talent in so many areas, and after he came along, I think the industry felt that in order to compete, being really, really good at just one thing wasn't good enough anymore, and so they started making jacks-of-all trades, masters of none pop stars, stars that do a little of everything but aren't really exceptional at anything. The industry has attempted to make Michael's kind of talent seem common. Today's youth doesn't understand the difference between someone like Michael and Chris Brown or Usher. They don't get it. Because the industry has brain washed them in to thinking that everone can sing and dance. They don't understand that there's never been a talent like Michael before or since and there probably never will be again. Michael doesn't just "sing and dance", he's considered one of the greatest singers ever in history and one of the greatest dancers ever in history, all at the same time, and that's NEVER happened before. The industry knew that they couldn't find anyone like Michael, but they still had to compete, and Michael changed the landscape totally single handedly because of what he had to offer, he wasn't just a brilliant singer, he was a brilliant dancer and songwriter and performer. So now we've got a bunch of average singers, average dancers, average songwriters, average performers, nothing exceptional, because you just don't find someone with world class talent in that many areas. Michael's a total phenom and a freak, basically. The industry needs to stop trying to create another Michael Jackson by assembling paper singer/dancers and just concentrate on people who are truly talented in their respective area(s), like they used to do. Because they're never going to create another MJ, there's only one.

Great post, thank you. :flowers:

I don't think someone trying to "create" another MJ is the problem. The "suits' are the real problem. Who wants to spend $20 on a coaster that costs 5 cents to make. The artist only gets a small percentage, even the big acts. Back in the day a record or cassette on average cost 6 or 7 dollars. The same exact album on CD (which is no longer), depending on where you shop can be up to $20. After paying for studio time, managers, video directors, return of unsold items, etc. an act can still be broke at the end of the day.

I don't think someone trying to "create" another MJ is the problem. The "suits' are the real problem. Who wants to spend $20 on a coaster that costs 5 cents to make. The artist only gets a small percentage, even the big acts. Back in the day a record or cassette on average cost 6 or 7 dollars. The same exact album on CD (which is no longer), depending on where you shop can be up to $20. After paying for studio time, managers, video directors, return of unsold items, etc. an act can still be broke at the end of the day.
Like TLC.-_-

Ahhh...TLC...I miss those good ole 90's R&B days. Im actually having a reminiscing period lately for anything that came out of the 90's. It's all I seem to be listening to. TLC, Boyz II Men, SWV, obviously Michael, tons of Janet, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Luther Vandross, just a ton of old school R&B and a little bit of the grunge rock days.

Anyways, back to the real reason I was posting here. I do think that if not pop music, POPular music has taken a fall. The thing that is soo extremely popular is this new form of Hip Hop/Gangster Rap music. Just ..ya know...musically, it has become very unappealing to me. They all for some reason use the same loop over and over and over again. Throughout the whole song, it never changes. No melody, no bridge, no intro, no outro, no interlude.....nothing different. Songs like that "Low", or the "Crank Dat", or "Hey Babay". I can name more, but I dont care to remember the titles of some of these particular songs. This is what seems to be popular with kids from 4th grade up on to high school.

But thank heavens for people like Kanye, Common, Jay-Z, Lupe, and more for keeping true Hip-Hop alive. And these artists are still very popular.

If you watch VH1's top 40 on Sunday mornings like I do, you get a good representation of what is still popular out there. There is definitely still good music out there. We're just not hearing enough of it right now.

In particular, there is a really great song out on the charts right now. It also has a good music video. But this song is one of the best pop songs I have heard in awhile. It's Jordin Sparks and Chris Brown's single "No Air". This song, to me, is pop music chemistry genius. The chord progressions go from G, Dm, Am, C. It's like a winning combination for a great song. This song reminds me that good pop music is not dead yet. Everyone should go take a gander at listening to it.

Ok....im done ranting

Back