Important Message From Michael Jackson's Estate Regarding Facebook Fans (?????)

Vici

Proud Member

Ive seen this statement from the estate being published on various sites today and people claim its from the estate, but the statement is not signed by Branca or McClain and Im not sure thats how they would write a statement. What do you guys think?

"Important Message From Michael Jackson's Estate Regarding Facebook Fans

In the spirit of the mutual respect that we have built over the past months, we wanted to make you aware of something. In the best interests of furthering Michael’s legacy and ensuring that EVERYONE (not just the fantastic fans who already know true from false) receives accurate information from the Estate and those that help protect and enhance Michael’s legacy, the Estate is going to authorize Facebook to remove all non Estate-related Michael Jackson profiles on their social network.

Facebook has made us aware that many of these false (and/or “non-official”) pages violate Facebook’s TOS (“terms of service”) agreements. The problem we’re having is that while many of the fan-created Michael pages are wonderful, respectful, and informative, many are not, and this can be very confusing and/or misleading for MJ fans around the world, both old and especially new.

We know that none of you are confused by profiles misrepresenting themselves as official Michael pages, but the general public is not as MJ-savvy as you are, and we want to ensure that everyone has the best and most accurate Facebook experience regarding Michael. From this point forward, there will be only one Facebook page for Michael, and the Estate will be watching over it carefully, creating a lot of new, interesting content, and in general, becoming much more involved on an ongoing basis. Of course, we will be looking to you over the coming months to help us, to provide ideas, and to really be a part of the experience! After all, who knows Michael and his fans better than you, the real fans, do?

Just to be clear, Facebook is not intending to remove all pages with any Michael Jackson content. They will be looking at pages which are misleading by pretending to be – or appear to the average eye to be - “official” pages, or pages purporting to be an official MJ page authorized by the Estate or one of its licensees like Sony, Ubisoft or Cirque du Soleil. Obviously, this is a judgment call, and we will make every effort to ensure that fan pages, fan groups, etc. are untouched, there is a human element to all of this, so in the beginning, some judgment calls will undoubtedly have to be made. We expect this action to commence in the very near future, perhaps as soon as later this week or next. Thus, if you have a Michael Jackson page which contains any content on Facebook that you think may be questionable to someone else, and you want to protect or keep your content, we’re giving you advance notice so that you can take action now to do whatever you think is proper before Facebook starts removing any “questionable” pages.

Let us know if you have any questions, and as always, thank you for your understanding and support!"

------------------------
Source: MJOnline, The Official Online Team of the Michael Jackson Estate®

Last edited:
It is a legitimate communication from the estate, if that is what you're wondering.

As Stace has said it is legit. It's designed to clamp down on the fake MJ pages masquerading as the official Michael page, which as a lot of people on FB know, there is a lot.

I have a fan page, will it be taken down? It is clearly marked as a fan page.

I think this is a good idea..it will stop other people from trying to make money off of the name Michael Jackson..the estate is in charge of the money part and I think they are right on the mark with this.

It is a legitimate communication from the estate, if that is what you're wondering.

As Stace has said it is legit. It's designed to clamp down on the fake MJ pages masquerading as the official Michael page, which as a lot of people on FB know, there is a lot.

Thanks! Yeah I was wondering because Branca and McClain didnt "sign it" so I was just wondering if it was actually from the estate or not.

I think it is an excellent idea but... my guess is that they will take down many facebook pages from fans as well and that worries me.

They leave it up to Facebook, who don't check that well and they are not familiar with the fansites that are known within the community.

And yeah, I fear for our Facebook account. We have over 4500 friends and provide the latest news on our FB.

How on earth is Facebook going to know that we are an honest fansite and not some crazy faker? It's hard to believe that they will be checking out all details etc...

Let us know if you have any questions

How exactly? :mello:

Last edited:
I think this is a good idea..it will stop other people from trying to make money off of the name Michael Jackson..the estate is in charge of the money part and I think they are right on the mark with this.

:agree:

I have a fan page, will it be taken down? It is clearly marked as a fan page.

If it's clearly marked as fan page, it shouldn't be :)

I do hope the Estate means what it said - improve the contents of Michael's FB. Honestly, Michael's facebook is quite boring and outdated. I always feel it's such a waste of opportunity to promote Michael's legacy. Michael has more than 23 million "friends"; FB can be a powerful platform if it's used wisely.

Painful as it might be for some real fans who had worked hard in their pages, I totally support this idea.

However... how do we know it is real? Was this posted at some other trusted source? mj.com or something?

:unsure:

I do hope the Estate means what it said - improve the contents of Michael's FB. Honestly, Michael's facebook is quite boring and outdated. I always feel it's such a waste of opportunity to promote Michael's legacy. Michael has more than 23 million "friends"; FB can be a powerful platform if it's used wisely.
.... and of course, I agree.
I think all the hype about MJ not having that many "friends" or "likes" or whatever is really not that important when the page is so boring and useless. If they take the time and effort to delete pages, then I hope this will be worth it, meaning, I hope REAL HIGH QUALITY CONTENT in MJ's FB page.

Hope this well be the case. If so... cheers!! :cheers:

This is a real statement, its good to see the online team finally keeping the fans in tab before they take action.

.... and of course, I agree.
I think all the hype about MJ not having that many "friends" or "likes" or whatever is really not that important when the page is so boring and useless. If they take the time and effort to delete pages, then I hope this will be worth it, meaning, I hope REAL HIGH QUALITY CONTENT in MJ's FB page.

Hope this well be the case. If so... cheers!! :cheers:

Exactly. It really isn't important whether Michael has the most "friends" or not. I'm one of Michael's "friend"; however, I don't go to Michael's FB that often because there is bascially nothing interesting going on.

If the Estate wants to spend time and effort to delete pages, I hope they spend their energy wisely. The priority should be working on the contents of the offical page, make it worthwhile for people to visit.

This is a real statement, its good to see the online team finally keeping the fans in tab before they take action.
Right, but how do we know?
Why isn't there a signature?
Please don't get me wrong, I DO want this to be true and I support the idea, but it's not the kind of statement the Estate has us used to.... at least not in my opinion.... so.... :scratch:

Exactly. It really isn't important whether Michael has the most "friends" or not. I'm one of Michael's "friend"; however, I don't go to Michael's FB that often because there is bascially nothing interesting going on.

If the Estate wants to spend time and effort to delete pages, I hope they spend their energy wisely. The priority should be working on the contents of the offical page, make it worthwhile for people to visit.

There's really no single reason to visit MJ's fb page at all. You will never get any quality added info/content/whatever. I am sure some of the pages that could be deleted would be far more informative than Mj's current FB page, so they really have to do a GREAT job improving it. Hope it will be done!! :yes:

Right, but how do we know?
Why isn't there a signature?
Please don't get me wrong, I DO want this to be true and I support the idea, but it's not the kind of statement the Estate has us used to.... at least not in my opinion.... so.... :scratch:

There's really no single reason to visit MJ's fb page at all. You will never get any quality added info/content/whatever. I am sure some of the pages that could be deleted would be far more informative than Mj's current FB page, so they really have to do a GREAT job improving it. Hope it will be done!! :yes:

It is real. It was sent to all the major fan sites from the same email address as other Estate statements have been sent. Lets not get into a debate about the authenticity of the statement, trust us, it was sent from the Estate.

If your page is a fan page then its absolutly fine. Its the pages that are masquerading as official MJ fan pages they're trying to clamp down on. For example if your group or page is something like 'Team Michael Jackson' or 'We love you Michael Jackson' or 'We miss you Michael' they're quite clearly fan pages. Its the pages where they are simply called 'Michael Jackson' which will be taken down, other than the official one.

Reactions: PCR
It is real. It was sent to all the major fan sites from the same email address as other Estate statements have been sent. Lets not get into a debate about the authenticity of the statement, trust us, it was sent from the Estate.

Sorry if I sounded as if I was questioning you, guys. It was not my intention, I just wanted to know the "why" behind the "it's true" :D Great information!!! So yes, yes, CHEERS!!! :cheers: (I am drinking my Smirnoff Ice here, really!)

If your page is a fan page then its absolutly fine. Its the pages that are masquerading as official MJ fan pages they're trying to clamp down on. For example if your group or page is something like 'Team Michael Jackson' or 'We love you Michael Jackson' or 'We miss you Michael' they're quite clearly fan pages. Its the pages where they are simply called 'Michael Jackson' which will be taken down, other than the official one.
That is exactly the way it should be.
Well done!!
:clapping:

I agree with you. Some of the FB pages created by fans are more current and informative than the official page.

Take this as constructive criticism. I'm not trashing the Estate. I don't know how many times I received the "official emails" after the fact. I have never got any news from the Estate or Sony first. They are always slow in their communications. The design of the official website is lackluster. The "official" Michael Jackson on-line team has a lot of catching up to do.

I'm not saying the on-line team has to tweet every five minutes. But, at least, stay current and put some "exclusive" materials on the official website and facebook. Again, they need to make it worthwhile for fans to visit.

I think it is an excellent idea but... my guess is that they will take down many facebook pages from fans as well and that worries me.

They leave it up to Facebook, who don't check that well and they are not familiar with the fansites that are known within the community.

And yeah, I fear for our Facebook account. We have over 4500 friends and provide the latest news on our FB.

How on earth is Facebook going to know that we are an honest fansite and not some crazy faker? It's hard to believe that they will be checking out all details etc...

How exactly? :mello:

THIS IS HOW
You put a CLEAR Disclaimer on you page stating

This is NOT an offical Michael Jackson site or associated
with SONY or Michael Jackson estate in any way.

Also make certain you are not illegally collecting MONEY or funds
in MJ's name and that you are not cloning any offical MJ site

I hate fakers pretending to be MJ. I fully support getting rid of all copycat attempts.

That goes for the facebook pages too.

What they need to do:

1 - Stop putting garbage on facebook. I never forgot that horrible article from billboard. It was for months in the front page of the MJ's facebook. Who had that stupid idea?

2 - Using Facebook to communicate with fans. Why do not they send emails with news for the 30 million fans?

Yes, as time goes by, I am having more and more respect for the Estate. I want them to be a strong no-nonsense force, that would make certain people think twice about messing with Michael Jackson, and they are going in the right direction. They are cleaning house, including Encino. Good job Estate.

2 - Using Facebook to communicate with fans. Why do not they send emails with news for the 30 million fans?

Well... actually, the idea of FB is avoiding emails :) And you can't send messages in that way either :) If they keep the FB updated, then we will know that is a good reliable source. Now I really don't mind going there at all. If I want to know about something, I would come here :cheeky:

but I agree with you! There's just so much potential that's been lost :doh:

We need verification from GAZ that this was indeed recieved from the MJ Estate.
Can we have him verify please or post the actual email like he did before

I not sure why fans are questioning this letter but they are

I am defending this message on twitter and Im being told in a not nice way
that Im misinforming fans :( IM not gonna be happy if I have to eat crow

Please have GAZ verify for us _Thanks _would be much appreciated

@MUZIKfactoryTWO ? Loyal MJ Fan @Qbees And show me a "statement"
that MJOnline broke BEFORE the media! Please stop misinforming these fans!

@MUZIKfactoryTWO ? Loyal MJ Fan
@Qbees So why didnt MJOnline tweet about the "statement"? I have no prob
YOU believe whatever, I have prob with u TRYING to misinform OTHERS

@MUZIKfactoryTWO ? Loyal MJ Fan
THE ALLEGED MSG FROM "MJ EXECUTORS" IS NOT FROM MJ EXECUTORS
Be advised that the message ALLEGEDLY from M -> http://bit.ly/dMISQF

I don't have Facebook myself but I'm glad the Estate is doing this. Maybe updating Michael's official FB page will help him get that record of most-liked profile back from Eminem :p

We need verification from GAZ that this was indeed recieved from the MJ Estate.
Can we have him verify please or post the actual email like he did before

I not sure why fans are questioning this letter but they are

I am defending this message on twitter and Im being told in a not nice way
that Im misinforming fans :( IM not gonna be happy if I have to eat crow

Please have GAZ verify for us _Thanks _would be much appreciated
you maybe rght....we may need confirmation..

edit....Sophielo said it is legit...so it must be.

What they need to do:

1 - Stop putting garbage on facebook. I never forgot that horrible article from billboard. It was for months in the front page of the MJ's facebook. Who had that stupid idea?

I actually prefer to use a freely accessible page like FB rather than only send e-mails to fans, because now people who are just casual fans or who suddenly become interested in Michael are also able to keep up with the latest news. I think a much wider audience can be reached this way :)

Great idea...this will help MJ to have more friends and likes, becuase i know many who joined fake MJ pages , or even MJ fan pages thinking it's MJ's official page, and this takes a good number of fans from MJ's official facebook page...i hope he will be #1 again after having one active official page only!

you maybe rght....we may need confirmation..

edit....Sophielo said it is legit...so it must be.
I agree , I also trust Sophielo and I do belive it is real
but that doesnt help verify it to the whole MJ community.
and those who are openly questioning and attcking fans
for promoting it .

I just dont like being attacked over this letter :no:
I dont know why it is being questioned like this

I agree , I also trust Sophielo and I do belive it is real
but that doesnt help verify it to the whole MJ community.
and those who are openly questioning and attcking fans
for promoting it .

I just dont like being attacked over this letter :no:
I dont know why it is being questioned like this
I am sorry that is happening to you...that is not right..you dont deserve that..:hug:

Back