I feel Dangerous could have been even stronger...

Gonetoosoon

Proud Member
It is well known that Dangerous is the fan forums favourite, dominating any poll it participates in and gains constant praise from the majority of members. I personally love this album!

I however feel it could have been even better and there are minor weaknesses on the album which could have been rectified. One in particular is the dominance of the New Jack Swing songs, particulary on the first part of the album, and another is the lack of love songs which had featured on every record Michael released up until that time. I love the risk that Michael took with this album through collaboration with Teddy Riley, breaking away from Quincy, and pioneering a new genre - but I feel some absolute gems were left off this album which should have made it on.

People constantly criticise Invincible for leaving off songs like We've Had Enough and Escape, when on Dangerous songs like For All Time, Do You Know Where Your Children Are? and Someone Put Your Hand Out were cut from the final version of the album. I feel these three in particular are far stronger than ICLHGA, SDMW and WYWTOM, and I feel it could have addressed those 'weaknesses' and could have made this album even greater (if that's even possible!)

Thoughts, people? :cheeky:

Last edited:
I personally think the only weakness of Dangerous is I can't let her get away. I like She drives me wild (especially the lyrics LOL) and Why you wanna trip on me. I love Do You Know Where Your Children Are but probably it would not fit in the concept of this album. Earth Song was originally written for Dangerous too, wasn't it? So it could have been on that album too but then probably it would have been too much of epic ballads for one album, so it's better that it's on History.

Also Keep the faith and Dangerous should have been singles. And they probably would have been if not for those damn Chandlers. :(

I Can't let her get away is the highlight of this album for me. I do think that She drives me wild and Why you wanna trip on me are VERY weak and I never listen to them. I really don't like them. However, considering that I do not like DYKWYCA, I really am happy that did not make the final cut.

I really do not think the alternatives you mentioned would have really filled the void of the missing love songs as I do not think that Someone put your hand out would have flowed too much with the rest of Dangerous. Maybe Dangerous would have been stronger had those two songs just been trimed from the album.

Here is my dream Dangerous album:

"Jam"
"In the Closet"
"Remember the Time"
"Can't Let Her Get Away"
"Black or White" (featuring L.T.B.)
"Who Is It"
"Give in to Me" (featuring Slash)
"Will You Be There" (Theme from Free Willy)
"Dangerous"

And, a few love songs matching the magnitude of these songs. :ninja:

I Can't let her get away is the highlight of this album for me.

Really? Wow. I have never seen someone who was a big fan of this song. But I'm the same with She drives me wild, I guess. Most fans don't like it, but I do.

However, considering that I do not like DYKWYCA, I really am happy that did not make the final cut.

o_O

Really? DYKWYCA to me is a top 5 Michael Jackson song...I would have put it on instead of I Can't let her get away.

Also..I actually really prefer the early version of Dangerous from TUC, I probably would have put that one on instead as well. :)

Dangerous is a great album, but the only songs i skip are: She drives me wild, and I cant let her get away. I dont feel that they are good enough to fit in the album. DYKWYCA, and others like: Someoneone put your hand out, For all of Time, Work that body, and Slave to the Rhythm could easly replaced thoose songs. What was Michael thinking... :/

Dangerous is a great album, but the only songs i skip are: She drives me wild, and I cant let her get away. I dont feel that they are good enough to fit in the album. DYKWYCA, and others like: Someoneone put your hand out, For all of Time, Work that body, and Slave to the Rhythm could easly replaced thoose songs. What was Michael thinking... :/

IMO I suspect that those songs were going to be on the next album...Then all the stuff happened which translated into different themed songs and the creation of HIStory..

I would love to have Someone Put Your Hand Out or For All Time on the album. The only track I could remove for one of them is She Drives Me Wild.

I love I Can't Let Her Get Away. I think it is brilliant with its driving rhythms and paranoid lyrics. I wish MJ would have used the single version of Black Or White on Dangerous... The song is better without the comedy intro!

Last edited:
Really? Wow. I have never seen someone who was a big fan of this song. But I'm the same with She drives me wild, I guess. Most fans don't like it, but I do.

ICLHGA is my favorite song off of that whole album. I think it is fantastic. When growing up, it was THE song off of that album that I replayed over and over again (I still do sometimes :)).

o_O

Really? DYKWYCA to me is a top 5 Michael Jackson song...I would have put it on instead of I Can't let her get away.

Also..I actually really prefer the early version of Dangerous from TUC, I probably would have put that one on instead as well. :)

I really REALLY do not like DYKWYCA. I think it is very weak. It's dated and not strong.

I am going to have to side with MJ in regards to ICLHGA. That bsong elevates that album for me. SPYHO is good but doean't fit the album, neither does for all time. STTR is not that good to me either. I like it because of MJ's voice, but the song itself does not catch my fancy. I think MJ ws thinking what would flow best on the album and in this case, he got it right.

I really REALLY do not like DYKWYCA. I think it is very weak. It's dated and not strong.

Well, we will agree to disagree then because I think DYKWYCA is an incredibly unique song :p

I really dislike I Can't Let Her Get Away and I don't like Why You Wanna Trip On Me either. However, I know many fans do like these songs and they flow well with the rest of the album so I think Michael made the right decision.

Dangerous is an album that I can listern from Track 1 to Track 14 without skipping any track EVERY SINGLE time. In my opinon, it's a masterpiece. It's a work of arts. It's a fantastic journey from the class shattering in Jam to the final ad lib in Dangerous. In my opinion, this album flows extremely well. I wouldn't change one single thing.

I love For All Time and SPYHO. But, wouldn't For All Time be overwhelmed by Heal The World? I mean For All Time is a beautiful song which I listen to all the time. Heal The World's message is much broader. And, I don't see how SPYHO can fit into an album with epic like WYBT.

CLHGA, SDMW and WYWTOM (abbreviations galore!!) are killer for me, I'd take them over In The Closet or Remember The Time to be honest.

Remember the Time is so.....amazing. I think Heal the World and Will you be There are prefect in the album. I also enjoy WYWTOM. Theres just those two songs that dont cut it for me :/ ....now HIStory is a great album. IMO better than Dangerous...but could you imagine what HIStory could have been if the dirty allegations never occured in the Dangerous Era :)

I think I would just make the album longer. I would have a problem cutting off any of the tracks from Dangerous :ph34r: Well ok, I wouldn't have too much of a problem of replacing ICLHGA with DYKWYCA, and then put Someone Put Your Hand Out in there somewhere. Also I think I would leave off Gone Too Soon and just have it released as a separate charity single or something. Sorry, just don't like the song much for emotional reasons :ph34r:

To me DANGEROUS is a masterpiece, THE BEST album. The only song I am not crazy about is CAN'T LET HER GET AWAY, but I don't hate it either. It's an OK song for me. I wouldn't swap any of the songs for those mentioned in this thread. The album has a specific character and I think it fits perfectly the way it is. At the same time it's a pity its so underestimated by everyone except fan community.

I feel songs like For All Time and SPYHO would belong in the middle sector between HTW and BOW or towards the latter half where Keep The Faith and GTS are - just because the album slows down a bit in those parts. DYKNWYCA I think could of been amongst the NJS swings at the beginning or with Dangerous near the conclusion.

My 2 c!

I love Dangerous as it but I don't understand why Serious Effect and If You Don't Love Me didn't make the final cut. These two songs imo are masterpieces and should have been on the album to make it a 16 track album like Invincible.

Dangerous is a masterpiece. It is by far Michael's greatest album ever, but because of what happened in 1993, it got derailed by damn controversy and lies.

I personally would not change this album and switch any tracks. Maybe shorten up the beginning of Black Or White and have the radio version on there instead, and maybe shave a few moments off Who Is It & Will You Be There. Other than that, the album was perfect.

I am glad Michael made the final decision. His soul in it. Between "Dangerous" and "HIStory" he reached quite the artistic zenith. I LOVE the 'schizo' split between New Jack Swing (I think I read that here on the forum as well) and the other half of the album. I don't particularly jive with Keep The Faith, yet I do not think my personal opinion would make that album "stronger' in any way. I love that the first half of the album is NOT your catchy/played to death mainstream compatible stuff AT ALL. He didn't go for that, good for him.

But then I wouldn't tell Chopin and Mozart either that the second movement of such and such isn't good enough for me.

Wonder what kind of amazing music Michael's critics are writing or producing? It's one thing to maybe not like a song, the thread title is another.

Personal preference is one thing, would people stand in front of a masterpiece of a painting and tell the painter to his face what he needs to do to make it 'stronger'? Didn't know MJ made me his mentor, at all, although he always gladly was humble enough to name his mentors over and over and over again. An artist has an obligation to his art and if people love that art along the way, then that is awesome. No artist should be put under pressure to change his art- people suspect Sony because DYKWYCA was left off because of 'unfavorable circumstances'- people hate that idea, rightly so. What's the difference in us telling him what else he should have left off/added? No difference, same thing, someone thinking they can dictate an artist something about HIS art. Not cool.

I don't like everything he did either, but I can like it, or leave it. I can still respect his artistic decisions and call my dislike a personal preference.

Here's my track list which I just thought about for the last hour which I think would have been PERFECT :wild:

1. Jam
2. In The Closet
3. Remember The Time
4. Heal The World
5. For All Time
6. Black Or White
7. Who Is It
8. Give In To Me
9. Do You Know Where Your Children Are?
10. Will You Be There
11. Someone Put Your Hand Out
12. Keep The Faith
13. Gone Too Soon
14. Dangerous

:dancin:

Last edited:
I love Dangerous as it but I don't understand why Serious Effect and If You Don't Love Me didn't make the final cut. These two songs imo are masterpieces and should have been on the album to make it a 16 track album like Invincible.

If You Dont Love Me is a little too long for my taste. I feel Michael didnt want it becuase of the repeatitive lyrics. I feel it repeats to much, and if i was Michael Jackson...wich im not. I think i would remove a few of the "If you dont love me's" Who knows, maybe he was going to comeback and finish it at a later date...that or he said...I CAN DO BETTER. of course he did in Invincible....though....i feel he was saving the best for last... :/ the stuff we will never get to hear in it finished and or nonexistant state.

I am glad Michael made the final decision. His soul in it. Between "Dangerous" and "HIStory" he reached quite the artistic zenith. I LOVE the 'schizo' split between New Jack Swing (I think I read that here on the forum as well) and the other half of the album. I don't particularly jive with Keep The Faith, yet I do not think my personal opinion would make that album "stronger' in any way. I love that the first half of the album is NOT your catchy/played to death mainstream compatible stuff AT ALL. He didn't go for that, good for him.

But then I wouldn't tell Chopin and Mozart either that the second movement of such and such isn't good enough for me.

Wonder what kind of amazing music Michael's critics are writing or producing? It's one thing to maybe not like a song, the thread title is another.

Personal preference is one thing, would people stand in front of a masterpiece of a painting and tell the painter to his face what he needs to do to make it 'stronger'? Didn't know MJ made me his mentor, at all, although he always gladly was humble enough to name his mentors over and over and over again. An artist has an obligation to his art and if people love that art along the way, then that is awesome. No artist should be put under pressure to change his art- people suspect Sony because DYKWYCA was left off because of 'unfavorable circumstances'- people hate that idea, rightly so. What's the difference in us telling him what else he should have left off/added? No difference, same thing, someone thinking they can dictate an artist something about HIS art. Not cool.

I don't like everything he did either, but I can like it, or leave it. I can still respect his artistic decisions and call my dislike a personal preference.

I think you've taken the title of the thread a little too seriously. I'm in agreement with you, it's all about personal preference. Hence people displaying their opinions on in what ways Dangerous could have been improved. I can definitely see where you're coming from though. I find it a bit funny that people are free to trash Invincible and say what changes they would make, and the second someone brings up Dangerous - there's a problem.. Invincible is Michael's art too you know. (Not directed at you, just talking generally)

Last edited:
I think you've taken the title of the thread a little too seriously. I'm in agreement with you, it's all about personal preference. Hence people displaying their opinions on in what ways Dangerous could have been improved. I can definitely see where you're coming from though. I find it a bit funny that people are free to trash Invincible and say what changes they would make, and the second someone brings up Dangerous - there's a problem.. Invincible is Michael's art too you know.

Yeah, this was the third (!!!) thread of this kind that I clicked on in progression which definitely affects your perception.

And the picking apart of Invincible bothers me in the same way that picking apart of Dangerous bothers me.

I really don't understand it when some fans call She Drives Me Wild and Can't Let Her Get Away fillers. I think that they are fantastic songs that have their place on the Dangerous album. Infact i like those songs more than In The Closet and Remember The Time.

I don't really think ANY of Michael's albums could have been any better....(except Invincible, maybe) ..What more could you want with the songs he put on these albums? Michael had determination to make every song killer on his albums, and they could all be released as singles if they could. A mass majority of other artists' albums don't even have half the fantastic music on them - a lot of songs sound like B-sides. So, I couldn't actually say Dangerous could have been better. For every Michael album, for me, there is maybe one song from each album that I tend to skip. In terms of Dangerous, I usually skip CLHGA. But it's still a good song. :D

Like love is magical said, Dangerous Is a Album that i can listen to from track 1 to track 14 a masterpiece! But If songs like, SPYHO, For all time, What about us would have made the album... Wow

I little bit dislike She Drives Me Wild and Can't Let Her Get Away. I think without these two, but with 1 or 2 love songs this album would be better.

Back