How would you promote Invincible?

The album was promoted. Michael complained to save face.
They did a big special on Entertainment Tonight and premiered You Rock My World.
TRL also had special coverage for it.
The album was front and center at Bestbuy and Samgoody.
Releasing it in multiple colors was a genius idea. Not something I had seen before.
I knew one guy who bought every single color.
It only performed poorly for two reasons.
1. Napster was big back then.... CD purchases were in great decline.
2. The album wasn't great. Several really crappy slow songs.
I don't believe anything could have been done when it comes to marketing to increase sales without losing more money.
If the album had huge songs it would have sold better. The track listing is the only issue. Change out 6 songs, include a big collaboration and sales would have doubled. It boggles my mind why they didn't even include the remixes with Jay-Z or Eve....
Whomever had final say on the track listing had a hand in Michael's death.....
Seriously.... Who decided to leave off Xscape? It should have been the first single... Could have been a cool duet with Janet...

Last edited:
I would release the Invincible album with these songs only not, in this exact order; You Rock My World, Invincible, Butterflies, Break of Dawn, Whatever Happens, Heaven Can Wait, Heartbreaker and Unbreakable.

Last edited:
I think it would have been nice if Michael had given a concert where he performed the entire album. In the style of the canceled HBO special. So that people saw again: oh yes, he is also a musician. I mainly remember that we knew Michael at the time because of all the craziness around him, not as a musician.

Back