How many copies will the New Album sell?

How many copies will the New Album sell in 5 years ?

• 0-5 million copies

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • 5-10 million copies

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • 10-15 million copies

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • 15-20 million copies

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • 20-25 million copies

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • 25-30 million copies

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 30-40 million copies

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • More than 40 million copies

Votes: 18 14.6%

• Total voters
More than 1 million copies is a very optimistic, but yet realistic goal. :lol:

WOW. 10 has voted more than 40 million?

I really really hope you are the ones that gets it right! :)

These days, over 10 million would be extremely well.

I say 7 or 8 million.

I think he will sell more than Lady Gaga. I really really hope so.

It would be such a shame if she outsells MJ.

I think it will sell between 10-15 million copies.

My opinion is that the Estate and Sony shouldn't be satisfied with anything less than that amount. No matter the changes the music industry went through, the older generation (meaning everyone who was a young adult before the downloading era - including myself) will be more interested in buying physical records.

But Estate&Sony have to be active in promoting the album. Videos a la Whatever Happens would be very nice. Videos of Michael in the recording studio (singing the actual song!) would be extremely good! Promotion in form of magazine adds, jumbo adds on the streets, ... are a great help as well.

With all that done and with the fact that it is the first posthumous studio album (TII doesn't count!), and with the fact Michael was actually planing to release an album, and with the fact that a rather lousy GH album (TII - no videos, one single that backfired because of the Anka stuff and ... well, come on, another GH?)) was able to sell 5+ million copies, I believe 10-15 is a given. Remember that Michael has a huge following from the 70's and 80's and I dare to say fans from the "early" days will not bother with illegally downloading the album.

So 10-15 on short term sales (within two years).

I voted 15-20 million. No grounds, I just feel like it can make it.

I think 10-15 millions would be fair realistic. Considering MJ's facebook page has more than 19 millions 'fans'... if theyr all buy the album...

Let's do this for our Michael! And for ourselves since we wanna hear new material! :)

Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster album has been immensely successful especially in today's musical era. The album has countless smash hits and has been in the Top 20 for most countries around the world. It's powerful and successful singles have helped it sell many copies. Remember, Gaga has also released catchy music videos for all these singles, plus is touring around the world. This has allowed for this album to sell big numbers.

Will MJ realistically have the chance to beat it? It's a tough call. MJ has a larger global presence, but doesn't have that big momentum going that Gaga does. Then there is the alive factor, MJ isn't here to promote it...that also means no big budget videos. It will be very tough for this album to break records. It will perform well, end up 2X platinum in the US and sell about 8 million copies globally. It will probably drift over 10 mil in its 4th and 5th year. That would be amazing given the circumstances.

Are there really 12 people who believe the new album will sell 40+ million copies? Wow. :mello: I think you're setting the bar way too high, even for MJ. Selling over 40 million albums is virtually impossible in today's industry, even the most popular acts barely break the 10 million barrier. Have there been any albums apart from Thriller that managed to sell 40+ million albums? I can't think of any. I hope you're right though, of course... I only wish Michael was here too see it all happening :(

Lady Gaga's The Fame Monster album has been immensely successful especially in today's musical era. The album has countless smash hits and has been in the Top 20 for most countries around the world. It's powerful and successful singles have helped it sell many copies. Remember, Gaga has also released catchy music videos for all these singles, plus is touring around the world. This has allowed for this album to sell big numbers.

Will MJ realistically have the chance to beat it? It's a tough call. MJ has a larger global presence, but doesn't have that big momentum going that Gaga does. Then there is the alive factor, MJ isn't here to promote it...that also means no big budget videos. It will be very tough for this album to break records. It will perform well, end up 2X platinum in the US and sell about 8 million copies globally. It will probably drift over 10 mil in its 4th and 5th year. That would be amazing given the circumstances.

I agree. I would be more than happy if the new album sold 8-10 million copies, that is an incredible achievement and any artist today would dream to sell those numbers.

A lot of it depends on us, the fans, too. We can do a lot to boost record sales. For example, we can give away MJ's CD as a birthday/Christmas/whatever present, we can make our own compilations on YouTube, request the songs on radio and TV (some music channels do that), anything to let the general public know that this CD is out. Since MJ is not here to promote it himself, we have to give him a hand :)

Man I just wish he was alive to release that one last album... He would have set the world on fire, once again

Now if we put Michael's posthumous sales into account, then its safe to say that Michael is still very much in demand...............

Personally I believe the success of the album depends on how much time and money Sony is willing to invest on it. I think that the key is to promote the singles of the album like they were in the Bad/Dangerous/History promotions. Also it needs some good promo videos..........like Brace Yourself and the History Teaser!!!!!

If they do anything like they did in the Invincible release, this won't get good sales (comparing to Michael's other albums)!!!!!

A good point however is that Michael is popular in every corner of the globe. And unlike the 80's, people from countries like China and India have more disposable income (spare cash)........and we could see some very strong sales come from those sort of countries (with BIG populations)!!!!!!!

I aint got a clue what Michael will sell, but Lady crapcrap sure aint coming in to this discussion people.
Michael sold 7 million with This is it (another greatest hits)
He sold 3+ million with Thriller 25.
He sold 13 million of Vince with just one single.

As long as Sony milk it and do loads of promo and the radio plays the new songs alot...the dude will sell more than any of the above figures.
I predict he will have the biggest selling album of the year and decade (10s).

Guys the biggest selling album of 2010 so far is lady antebellum with over 2 million albums sold

Guys the biggest selling album of 2010 so far is lady antebellum with over 2 million albums sold

You are kidding me right?

Are you sure that is world wide sales ?

That sounds crazy. This Is It must have sold nearly 2 million copies worldwide in 2010 :)

I don't know where you got this from.... and what point are you trying to make with it

from billboard, it sold 2 million (but idk in just in the U.S. or worldwide, it just states of 2010), mj's has a huge fan base so he can easily sell over 2 million in the United States alone

BILLBOARD’S MID-YEAR 2010 TOP ALBUMS TALLY

1. Lady Antebellum, Need You Now (2.3 million)
2. Justin Bieber, My World 2.0 (1.3 million)
3. Sade, Soldier Of Love (1.2 million)
4. Lady Gaga, The Fame (1.1 million)
5. Eminem, Recovery (1.058 million)
6. Usher, Raymond v. Raymond (898,000)
7. The Black Eyed Peas, The E.N.D. (853,000)
8. Ke$ha, Animal (813,000)
9. Justin Bieber, My World (710,000)
10. Drake, Thank Me Later (709,000)
11. Susan Boyle, I Dreamed A Dream (665,000)
12. Lil Wayne, Rebirth (617,000)
13. Zac Brown Band, Foundation (616,000)
14. Lady Gaga, The Fame Monster (603,000)
15. Various Artists, NOW That’s What I Call Music 33 (599,000)
16. Taylor Swift, Fearless (587,000)
17. Alicia Keys, The Element Of Freedom (575,000)
18. Michael Buble, Crazy Love (508,000)
19. Jack Johnson, To The Sea (481,000)
20. Ludacris, Battle Of The Sexes (479,000)
http://idolator.com/5563011/top-selling-albums-singles-lady-antebellum-train

Last edited:
from billboard, it sold 2 million (but idk in just in the U.S. or worldwide, it just states of 2010), mj's has a huge fan base so he can easily sell over 2 million in the United States alone

BILLBOARD’S MID-YEAR 2010 TOP ALBUMS TALLY

1. Lady Antebellum, Need You Now (2.3 million)
2. Justin Bieber, My World 2.0 (1.3 million)
3. Sade, Soldier Of Love (1.2 million)
4. Lady Gaga, The Fame (1.1 million)
5. Eminem, Recovery (1.058 million)
6. Usher, Raymond v. Raymond (898,000)
7. The Black Eyed Peas, The E.N.D. (853,000)
8. Ke$ha, Animal (813,000)
9. Justin Bieber, My World (710,000)
10. Drake, Thank Me Later (709,000)
11. Susan Boyle, I Dreamed A Dream (665,000)
12. Lil Wayne, Rebirth (617,000)
13. Zac Brown Band, Foundation (616,000)
14. Lady Gaga, The Fame Monster (603,000)
15. Various Artists, NOW That’s What I Call Music 33 (599,000)
16. Taylor Swift, Fearless (587,000)
17. Alicia Keys, The Element Of Freedom (575,000)
18. Michael Buble, Crazy Love (508,000)
19. Jack Johnson, To The Sea (481,000)
20. Ludacris, Battle Of The Sexes (479,000)
http://idolator.com/5563011/top-selling-albums-singles-lady-antebellum-train

Yes, thats most definantly just the US. That lady antebellum album sold next to nothing over here.

Eminem is almost at #1 in the US, and in fact might be taking that position soon. By years end his album will be in the 3.5 to 4 million range I imagine and most likely will end up at #1 or #2 the 2010's best selling album in the US.

Eminem is almost at #1 in the US, and in fact might be taking that position soon. By years end his album will be in the 3.5 to 4 million range I imagine and most likely will end up at #1 or #2 the 2010's best selling album in the US.

It seems very unlikely that MJ will sell 4 million copies in US alone in 2010. If it's released in mid november there isn't enough time to sell that much. :(

But if he could be the best selling artist in 2011 that would be ACE !

I voted 10-15 mil.

we should have another poll asking people how many copies they are going to buy, lol

Havent been active here lately but what is known regarding new album?
Release date and will there be a single release?

Back