History Tour

A lot of places on HIStory and Dangerous were their first experience of Michael too, so it's not a surprise the "best-of" formula didn't change too much.

The answer to this question is very easy and it does not require deep analysis, if one takes into account his sleep problems during the HIStory Tour (and onwards).

Michael Jackson's levels of adrenaline were so high right after each HIStory concert, and this (along with his chronic insomnia that already existed) made it for him even more difficult to sleep properly later in the hotel.

Debbie Rowe testified that, at first, the singer was given certain sedatives (during the HIStory Tour), but they failed to help him sleep.

Debbie Rowe also testified that Michael Jackson then started to be given more powerful drugs (such as, Propofol) via Dr. Allen Metzger in order to get proper sleep right after each HIStory concert.

The fact that Michael Jackson was given so powerful drugs (while touring) led to him getting physically and psychologically sicker (because such drugs deteriorate one's physical, psychological, and mental health).

I know, but the question is : WHY did his adrenaline or stress get so high that he couldn't sleep? Thousands and thousands of singers and artists tour and do concerts, often with just as much energy and using just as much adrenaline as MJ, and they don't need propofol to go to sleep every night.

Unless we take a full physical and mental health medical history of Michael there’s no way to explain that - some people are prone to high levels of stress, anxiety that can all play havoc on cortisol levels so perhaps he suffered with that throughout his life. Given the relentless pressures he faced and the public scrutiny I’m not all that surprised .

I know, but the question is : WHY did his adrenaline or stress get so high that he couldn't sleep? Thousands and thousands of singers and artists tour and do concerts, often with just as much energy and using just as much adrenaline as MJ, and they don't need propofol to go to sleep every night.
To me it's telling of MJ pre and post 93 allegations, it changed everything about him.

The man had extreme mental health issues and was allowed to live in his own fantasy world that formed part of his downfall. He really lost touch of reality in my opinion.

Let's say you're the most celebrated, number 1 entertainer in the world with fame beyond even the A list and the only controversy is about your skin colour or how odd and mysterious your life is....

You're now accused of a hideous and disgusting crime that goes against everything you stood for and main inspiration.

MJ was a sensitive soul, how would you feel knowing the whole world knows what you were accused of. I'd be paranoid and worried that every person I spoke with thought I was an abuser.

I would most definitely be struggling to stay awake at nights with this alone throw in all the other crap and it's easy to see why he could not sleep.

Singer doesn't like to tour, doesn't like to perform live etc.....

He should have just been a toilet attendant. 😉
I'm the first to criticise Michael whenever I find something about his behaviour or career as pathetic,but this crosses the line,I'm afraid-

Unless we take a full physical and mental health medical history of Michael there’s no way to explain that - some people are prone to high levels of stress, anxiety that can all play havoc on cortisol levels so perhaps he suffered with that throughout his life. Given the relentless pressures he faced and the public scrutiny I’m not all that surprised .
Michael Jackson himself provided an explanation for that in the early '00s to his close friend Cory Rooney:

"Cory, I can't tour anymore. I'm not gonna tour anymore. Ok? ... Because it will kill me ... Well, remember when I was preparing for my [1995 HBO] concert and I passed out at the Sony Studio? Well, it's because when I get ready for a tour I get dehydrated. I don't eat. I don't drink. I don't sleep. I put so much of myself into preparing for a tour" (Michael Jackson)

That happened also during the Dangerous Tour, when for example he could not eat and drink at all, and doctors had to give him food and drinks intravenously (i.e., by means of a vein).

Michael Jackson himself provided an explanation for that in the early '00s to his close friend Cory Rooney:

"Cory, I can't tour anymore. I'm not gonna tour anymore. Ok? ... Because it will kill me ... Well, remember when I was preparing for my [1995 HBO] concert and I passed out at the Sony Studio? Well, it's because when I get ready for a tour I get dehydrated. I don't eat. I don't drink. I don't sleep. I put so much of myself into preparing for a tour" (Michael Jackson)

That happened also during the Dangerous Tour, when for example he could not eat and drink at all, and doctors had to give him food and drinks intravenously (i.e., by means of a vein).
Yes, but again, why? Other stars, artists and singers dont have the same visceral, physical negative reaction to the idea of touring. And he himself didn't use to be like that.

Yes, but again, why? Other stars, artists and singers dont have the same visceral, physical negative reaction to the idea of touring. And he himself didn't use to be like that.
Because Michael Jackson also suffered from lung damage and chronically inflamed lungs (according to his autopsy report).

This also explains the fact that during the Dangerous Tour, and even during the 1992 leg, right after his Dangerous concert he used to be driven back to the hotel in an ambulance (with acute symptoms such as, severe exhaustion, shortness of breath, dehydration, and so on).

What is this obsession with second guessing and questioning Michael???

Why do you need to know his reasons???

It was 1996 / 1997. A very different time. Concerts were designed and created for the real time on the day audiences, and were never meant to be over anazyed by the digiatl generation.

Those of us who were there, had once in a life a time experiences, we experienced the shows as Michael wanted us to experience them.

Just let it go. He is dead, and has been dead for 15 years.

Enjoy the concerts or dont, thats an opinion, but to not understand the process, the way Michael thought, how he lived his life, how he created his art and wanted to share it with the public is wrong.

Im always amused at the difference in views between those who experienced a History concert in real life and those who only have seen it on a screen.

The concerts were meant to be an experience, a real life event. They were never meant to be over analyzed and scrutinized, and the minute details zoomed in on.

They were of the the time, before the internet, before social media, before mobile phones. People went to the concert, enjoyed it on the day.

Afterwards, if we found a low quality bootleg video of the concert, we cherished it, as a way to remember a once in a life time experience.

It was seeing Michael on stage, hearing the music loud and sharing the experience with the crowd that made the concerts magical.
Many HIStory Tour concerts were shown on TV at the time so I'm sure scrutinizing was expected.

Last edited:
What is this obsession with second guessing and questioning Michael???

Why do you need to know his reasons???

It was 1996 / 1997. A very different time. Concerts were designed and created for the real time on the day audiences, and were never meant to be over anazyed by the digiatl generation.

Those of us who were there, had once in a life a time experiences, we experienced the shows as Michael wanted us to experience them.

Just let it go. He is dead, and has been dead for 15 years.

Enjoy the concerts or dont, thats an opinion, but to not understand the process, the way Michael thought, how he lived his life, how he created his art and wanted to share it with the public is wrong.
And it was the first time a lot of these countries got to experience MJ. So no wonder he did the classics as those people knew them.

I was in Finland and Göteborg i was 15 years old. I think History tour were so amazing and i also saw Dangerous tour but that time i was pretty. young.

One thing the HIStory Tour did better than the Dangerous Tour was the performance of Thriller. HIStory Tour's Thriller looked better visually and the instrumental outro sounded better too. Also the Thriller jacket being worn over the gold Dangerous Tour costume looked kinda silly.

Only downside to the HIStory Tour version of Thriller is that it's beyond obvious that it wasn't Michael performing under the werecat mask. Biggest giveaway is that Michael wore a short sleeve v-neck shirt and the impersonator wore a long sleeved shirt.

Back