HIStory Re-Edition 2013

When the first disc was released on it's own, they removed Past, Present & Future from the title. Obviously they would do the same if disc 2 was released by itself.

Exactly, you're removing the album's concept by doing so. That release made little sense, other than a cash cow for the hits (again)

Exactly, you're removing the album's concept by doing so. That release made little sense, other than a cash cow for the hits (again)
It's a disc with some of MJ's greatest hits. Exactly what doesn't make sense about it?

It's a disc with some of MJ's greatest hits. Exactly what doesn't make sense about it?

HIStory - Past, Present and Future. I don't know really, it's just odd they'd separate it from the HIStory package, the way it was meant to be done

HIStory - Past, Present and Future. I don't know really, it's just odd they'd separate it from the HIStory package, the way it was meant to be done
As far as I know, the single disc release of HIStory was the first time you could get a greatest hits album of MJ without any other discs. So the release made sense for people that wanted some of MJ's hits but didn't want to pay $30 for the double CD history album.

As far as I know, the single disc release of HIStory was the first time you could get a greatest hits album of MJ without any other discs. So the release made sense for people that wanted some of MJ's hits but didn't want to pay $30 for the double CD history album.

That makes sense then I guess.

The concept of the album is Past, Present and Future, as you've already been told. Obviously you can't apply the 'Future' concept (unless it's pre-release, in which case the album is technically 'Future' :p), but my guess is that because of 'Book 1', there was meant to be more additions of this, so that's what Future could be referring to.

The 'Past' is Disc 1, and obviously refers to his past and as such are a collection of some of his Greatest Hits. 'Present' is Disc 2, and is obviously the material that was released at what was then, the present.

So, because the concept of the album is to include the Past and Present in one package, by releasing Disc 2/'Present' as it's standalone disc, it 'pulls apart' the concept of the album in the first place. I guess you could apply that to Disc 1 too...

If they ever do re-release History (like a Bad 25 type release), the disc 1 should NOT be included.
The concept obviously worked at the time of release, but a RE-release is unnecessary.
A 2nd audio disc SHOULD be included, but obviously with unreleased or re-worked material. (plus a DVD of a concert).

I have these; I'm not sure what left one is, bought from somewhere 2nd hand. But the other one is original and must be first press

tl37r.jpg

First print is the best version. No changes in TDCAU and History intro. And it looks more beautiful than this new one or the new germany edition.

Not sure if I'm the only one, but I prefer the edited version of TDCAU with the sound effects.
Not that I'm offended of any of that nonsense, I just sometimes prefer clean versions of songs because they replace the words with sound effects that make it better :D

I also prefer listening to the audio rip of the Rio video version (with the sound effects over those words, as well as the drumming).

As you notice there are 2 versions of censored one. One with sound effects, other one is words repeated.

I have the original pressing of HIStory, so TDCAU is uncensored. I was unaware of the idiotic censoring issue so when I got The Essential Michael Jackson and TDCAU came on, I thought my CD was stuffed up or something because of the weird sound effects :smilerolleyes:

I think they need to release the second disc alone, I mean it is kind of dumb to me that they have the first disc released alone but not the second. So aside from downloads, if someone wants the second disc they have to get the whole package.. My HISTory CD started skipping like 3 times and 3 times I had to go buy new package with the first disc overley purchased.

The second disc was released alone in Spain and Italy as part of a collectable boxset. Every week they would release a part of the box.
http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3565609

I have the boxset, it's pretty nice.
Nothing beats the original CD and vinyl. I have the european gatefold and the US boxset on vinyl. I think I will order this re-release. I never bought a release with the changed versions of TDCAU and HIStory. I'm a sucker for digipacks :)

I think i just need all MJ music pre-downloaded in my brain so I can just play and hear without device.. Hopefully I would not run into any scratches or skipping of discs that way! and I could hear at any time..

I agree with you 100 percent. Are there any official word as to why the HIStory (=song) intro was changed?

I really like the new casing.
In general, I always like when CD's use the cardboard type casings, rather than the usual plastic ones.

It would also look cool like this for the History 25 set (but replace the disc of hits with unreleased stuff, and add a 3rd for DVD).

Last edited:
It's nice to see this album get attention... "HIStory" is my all-time favorite Michael album for the sheer raw emotion you rarely saw from him. Michael drops an F-bomb, calls out a hater by name, and just lets his feelings hang loose in the open. Amazing.

I still have the original HIStory album on cassette tape, which features the original lyrics to TDCAU. :) I like the new look of the cd set. At 1st I didn't care for those paper/cardboard cd cases, but now they've really grown on me because of a major factor......they don't break when you drop them on the floor. lol

Back