Forever Dangerous MJ tribute concerts by Jennifer Batten [UPDATE] Msg. from musical directer Post 37

Re: 'Forever Dangerous': MJ tribute concerts by Jennifer Batten

I am still wondering what percent of the show involves the impersonators. Maybe if they come on stage for a few minutes, more traditional fans will attend. I am not sure if they are going to be on stage all the time impersonating Michael.

^^ There is No They _ There is only One tribute Artist (Carlo Riley) in the show. and yes It will be presented like a MJ concert.

A message from Jennifer Batten
http://www.reverbnation.com/c/fr5/artist_1462883?eid=A1462883_11288943_

Greetings from sunny Las Vegas. I've been here since September playing for Cirque Du Soleil's "Zumanity" show. I've enjoyed the mild weather and sunny skies but mostly the KILLER band I've been playing with! As my stay comes to a close at the end of Feb, I look forward to seeing the spring bloom in Northwest, and taking most of March off to regroup and aim for what’s next.

I'll perform an all-ages solo film show on Feb 21 for my final Vegas blow-out at Family Music Center 8125 West Sahara at 7 PM.

I have a lot to look forward to in 2012, including a first time ever reunion at my alma mater, Musicians Institute in Hollywood.

On my way to my annual visit to Japan, I'll play a solo show in Kona, Hawaii at Rockstarz on March 30th. My 2012 tour of Japan includes the grand opening for a new Jikei music school in Sapporo, where as with 6 other cities I go to, I'll play for the opening ceremony for a new class and also give a workshop. My stay will end with a show at Billboard Live in Osaka with the inspiring musicianship of Mickie Yoshino, Toshi Hiketa (David Lee Roth), and Kenji Hino. In Japan, Then, I’ll be performing my solo film show in Europe for several weeks in May.

Now for the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT. Return of the BIG HAIR!!!!

After declining offers from tons of tribute shows since Michael Jackson's passing, I finally decided to develop one with some friends from Boulder, Colorado. While touring with my multimedia show, I've visited Colorado several times and performed with their 12-piece funk horn band, Funkiphino (funk if I know). We had discussed the possibility of developing an MJ tribute show but didn’t get excited enough to pursue it until we discovered Michael Jackson tribute artist Carlo Riley. I was introduced to Carlo while on stage performing with Funkiphino last summer. Band leader Chris Fischer arranged for him to surprise me by sneaking on stage to join us on several songs. I've had many impersonators sit in with me over the years but had never been able to temporarily transport myself back in time until that moment. Carlo’s appearance and dance moves are so similar to Michael it's just plain fun! Since then, there have been so many synchronistic events that have taken place, that I have no doubt this project is meant to be.

I’ve been a fan of Jackson's songs since his first solo album “Off the Wall”, and I never tire of his music. It’s so far reaching and always makes people smile and want to dance. With Forever Dangerous, I am not just a hired gun, but am a partner with Chris and Carlo. The three of us are a brainstorming tornado and agree there will be creative license taken with the show, including incorporating more guitar spotlights. We are excited to take fans into our time machine and temporarily suspend reality so they can re-experience some of the most exciting live shows in history. It’s also an opportunity for younger fans who never got a chance to see Michael live, to get a taste of that magic for the first time. The band, singers, and dancers are the best! Everyone’s enthusiasm and energy are infectious and coming from the right place regarding their love for Michael Jackson, his music, and his legacy.

Hope to catch you all on the road somewhere this year!

-Jennifer

Anyone thinking of going to this show?

I have been to a similar show, it was the Michael Jackson Laser Spectacular a little more than a year ago. It was a very spontaneous decision, I was a little depressed after seeing This Is It and the reality that I would never see him perform live really sunk in. Anyway, it was a nice way to at least have a very, VERY rough idea of what an MJ concert was like. I brought my little brother and sister, and they LOVED it. Some of the impersonators take it a little too far, however, taking their impersonation beyond the stage. The impersonator I spoke with after the show adopted some of the same mannerisms and would answer my questions like Michael would. That's a little too far. :ermm:

I really, really like Jennifer. I was at her concert in Dublin in 2010. She only had good things to say about MJ, both in media and on stage back then. She did her little tribute, she played a medley of MJ's songs only on guitar, the guitar lick, chords and solos.. and public LOVED it. I think that tributes she puts together come from her heart, and I would hate people to write that she's trying to 'cash in'.
I really strongly dislike impersonators, but if she comes to my city, I will go again to see it, more to honour Mike in my thought and for Jennifer than for the fact that I might like the show (which I expect I won't really..). Impersonators can never replace Michael.

Btw, I post very little on YouTube but I put on two videos from that concert- check out the Beat It solo live as asked by the public! :D
Enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJPJfmxAz54

Last edited:

I have been to a similar show, it was the Michael Jackson Laser Spectacular a little more than a year ago. It was a very spontaneous decision, I was a little depressed after seeing This Is It and the reality that I would never see him perform live really sunk in. Anyway, it was a nice way to at least have a very, VERY rough idea of what an MJ concert was like. I brought my little brother and sister, and they LOVED it. Some of the impersonators take it a little too far, however, taking their impersonation beyond the stage. The impersonator I spoke with after the show adopted some of the same mannerisms and would answer my questions like Michael would. That's a little too far. :ermm:

Thanks for this point of view. Did you find the impersonators' performance very similar to Michael's performance in a video, for example. I realized you never saw him live.

Jennifer, Carlo and I have been keeping up with your thread over the past week and we thought it might be a good idea to reach out and address some of your concerns. First I want to let you know that we sincerely appreciate all of your feedback and take it very seriously.

We want you to know that our decision to create Forever Dangerous was not made lightly. We realized from the beginning that it could be potentially met with mixed feelings. I personally believe that Michael Jackson's legacy and contribution to the world truly is untouchable on so many levels and as many of you have pointed out any attempt to imitate him will always come up short. We all agree 100% with you about that. There will never be another Michael Jackson period. That is why I think it is important for you to understand some Of the things about what lead up to our decision to do this.

You guys obviously represent the true die hard fans and deserve to be in the know. Jennifer literally has been approached by dozens of tributes and turned everyone of them down because she felt the same a you regarding impersonators. Many of the tribute artists and shows in her opinion do not do MJ proper justice. That is why she decided to do this, it really is reaction to the mediocrity that is out there. In FD she has final say. I am the music director but as far as I am concerned Carlo, myself, everyone else involved, none of us really have the right to touch this without Jennifer's involvement. Her experience is a bonafide part of MJs legacy and I believe her perspective and character make her the one person who can be trusted to attempt something like this. We are all honored to be working with her in this project and recognize that we all have a real responsibility to protect MJ's legacy as well as Jennifer's.

With that being said I can assure you that every member of our crew is a true MJ fan involved for the right reasons. In fact I can tell you we were in talks with a singer who vocally would have been a great fit. However when he requested he be paid $4000 to fly to Colorado to audition we knew instantly he was not the right guy for the job and that he was not motivated for the right reasons.

Some of you are skeptical of Carlo. I can tell you that I have never met anybody who is a bigger MJ fan. He has been a dedicated fan since he was a little kid. It wasn't until a few years ago when friends of his encouraged him do Michael. He didn't even realize how much he naturally resembled him until then.

Here's the bottom line, we are doing this for the fans. Is everyone going to agree with every decision has make? Absolutely not. But thats ok as long as the fans know why we are doing it and realize we are doing our best to honor the greatest entertainer that has ever lived. I also want to ask that you have an open mind and trust us. Don't assume you already know what the show is going to be like and prematurely dismiss it. You should also know that we are genuinely interested in your ideas and feedback. In fact please feel free to email me directly if you have idea or would be interested in discussing them with me.

We more than anything want to make sure the fans know we are on their side and are doing this for them and for Michael. You can contact me directly at 4everdangerous@gmail.com. Thanks for reading my long post and I look forward to speaking with some of you soon! :)

Cheers!

Chris Fischer
Music Director/keyboardist
Forever Dangerous

I personally don't have anything against tribute shows if they are properly made. I just don't see there is a need for impersonator, or maybe just for certain songs e.g Smooth Criminal and other classics for visual point of view, but other than that there could be someone just
singing MJ's songs. I don't go to see impersonators, I go to hear Michael's music played in
different arena than my iPod or youtube:)
I saw one impersonator doing his show and he was quite good but it made me a bit sick
when at the end of the show he shouted to audience "I love you", just like Michael to the
audience, and audience was supposed to shout back "We love you more". How could
they! He is no Michael and they don't love impersonator, they love Michael. That sort of
things and Michael's personal communications should be left out of their acts.

If Forever Dangerous could have a look at what Thriller Live doing, and take into
consideration their format.
Just my two pennies and good luck:)

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with going to a tribute act - I loved Thriller Live and Who's Bad - as long as you take it as fun and not too seriously. The trouble is this, fans like us do not just love Michael's music and dance, we loved him as though he were a family member or a best friend and the grief we feel from his passing is constant and so painful, even now. I think that is why some fans cannot go to see impersonators, its painful to be reminded that we will never see Michael on stage again or even to know he is here and so someone impersonating him feels wrong.

However, I really did have fun at the shows I mentioned because it was always meant to be fun - not an imitation but a celebration. If it is done carefully I think this could be ok.

i'd personly love just to see jen play with some dancers a band and like the background type vocals but thats me

Thanks for this point of view. Did you find the impersonators' performance very similar to Michael's performance in a video, for example. I realized you never saw him live.

His dance steps were pretty similar to his live performances; it just obviously didn't have that perfection and precision that Michael had. Really, the main reason for me to go to these things is to celebrate Michael's music and legacy with other fans. That alone makes it worth enough for me to go.

No need for impersonators, enough of this circus. Sorry for my language but I've had it!!!
Your point is noted. Some fans just dont care for impersonaters at all. This show wouldn't be for you or them . But in all fairness many fans incuding Michael himself have enjoyed the experience of watching them perform. Its not anything disrespectful. There are some good tribute artists and some crappy ones too - I think Carlo is good at what he does and he seems to be respected by the fans in how he represents MJ with his work. Your best option is probably Immortal tour :)
you cant go wrong there

Perhaps it´s nice they are doing tribute concerts but the only concert for me is Immortal.
I would love to go to instrumental concerts in the future,a symphoni orchestra would be awesome.
But I´m a person who rarely go to concerts and don´t feel I have to go to one to celebrate Michael.

His dance steps were pretty similar to his live performances; it just obviously didn't have that perfection and precision that Michael had. Really, the main reason for me to go to these things is to celebrate Michael's music and legacy with other fans. That alone makes it worth enough for me to go.

Coduscus^^Thanks for responding. I get your point.

I am wondering if this will be like the Elvis impersonator shows that they have in Vegas.

Back