For Your Attention - Re Member Registrations / Update Pg 3 Manual Correction of user registration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background

As you are all aware since our first offline time we have many major technical issues which were unforeseen, in a nut shell people handled things who have no clue about or what they were doing but thats in the past and I will not go into to it now.

Over the last few weeks I have been repairing and taking steps to resolve all the technical issues in hand.

Many were rebuilding databases re installing modules and components then we had little choice but to move to a brand new optimum server, I have now also upgraded the forum to the very latest version which has been able to rectify many bugs in the system.

However there is one in which I am unable plus can not risk fixing due to the possible impact this may have on members.

As you are all aware we had a serious corruption of our forum user database, this meant all passwords were dropped and your register date set to the day in which this drop happened we have been working tirelessly to re do all the passwords with many emails being sent and accounts reset for us this was priority after the down time we have been experiencing.

Going Forward

It is now clear having spoken at length with the VB technical team that the only way to restore the member registrations would be to upload a previous backed up version of the user database however this has one huge huge risk, if the database does not match 100% the user database in which we are uploading it will drop every account on our systems this would then mean a break in you and your posts your profiles pm's the lot.

So, with all this in mind and after what we have experienced recently I have taken the tough decision to not go down that road I simply can not risk the impact this will have on you and your accounts should something go wrong.

Now that does not mean we are going to just sit back and go oh well your now registered on July 2011 far from it, we are together going to devise a plan and process which is suitable for all I do not care if the labour to carry out is huge we will repair this.

Therefore we need suggestions and input on how we are to manually repair this issue in our admin cpanel rather than tamper with databases.

So please I ask you for your input so together as a community we can come to a resolution that will suit all and ensure our beloved community continues.

Regards

Gaz and the MJJC Team

Re: For Your Attention - Re Member Registrations

Thanks for the Info Gaz.

Well, I would say most people know their join date month and year..So the only thing I can suggest is that unless you happen to have the join dates listed somewhere then perhaps there can be a thread created where members honestly post when they joined..Then the mods can all manually change them..

Couldn't each member if they so wish add 'member since - Date' to their profile, that would save a huge amount of stress and work for the staff.

Maybe you admins can add another subitem to the profile and title it "Join date". Then members can fill in their join date just like they can fill in the other badges like "Biography" or "Location".

Last edited:

Thanks for the Info Gaz.

Well, I would say most people know their join date month and year..So the only thing I can suggest is that unless you happen to have the join dates listed somewhere then perhaps there can be a thread created where members honestly post when they joined..Then the mods can all manually change them..

Sounds good to me as I know my join date. But then wouldn't that be a lot of posts to go through? Hopefully there will be an easier way around this.

I suppose it can be done manually, but there is a small concern pertaining to the legacy member status and the benefits that come with it, since people can enter whatever date they want. It will not be fair by members who have actually been on this forum for 2+ years.

I know for a fact I joined in July 2010 btw :)

I suppose it can be done manually, but there is a small concern pertaining to the legacy member status and the benefits that come with it, since people can enter whatever date they want. It will not be fair by members who have actually been on this forum for 2+ years.

Yeah..here's hoping people are truthful about when they joined.

I joined in August of '09..so bad time for this to happen for me :lol:

I've read this thread and come away...and then come back to it. Just posting to say I've read this but I don't really now how to tackle this problem. Creating a field for members to enter their own registeration date seems like an easy way to solve this problem but like others have said, an element of privilege is attached to your registration date. This could mean 2000 watts gets ruined again or it could make it harder for mods to moderate as they don't know whether someone is breaking the rules because they are new and don't understand how the forum operates or for another reason. I've noticed the achievements bar on everyones profile,maybe we could be sorted into categories that way but I do much prefer having our original dates back if it becomes viable.

Ok guys, bare with me, me and Ivy may have just fallen upon something.

Thankyou for all that you're doing Gary (and the team), your efforts are truly appreciated!

Besides our join dates, points and levels there seems to be something wrong with the Total No.of members (displayed on the forum page) too. It says Total memebers is 80,547 and Active members-80,547 which I guess is not true(though I so hope it were!)

I hope all this can be resolved soon.

BTW, I joined in early 2003, lost my password and joined again on 4th July 2004 :)

Last edited:

I guess most members post something fairly soon after joining, so 'self recorded join dates' should be checkable against dates of 1st posting?

or maybe 'join date' could be entered as 'date of 1st post', with room for appeal?

I guess most members post something fairly soon after joining, so 'self recorded join dates' should be checkable against dates of 1st posting?

or maybe 'join date' could be entered as 'date of 1st post', with room for appeal?

This does not solve the issue.
1. some people like myself only posted much later after register.
2. Currently, the system does not show the first post. I have a total of 110 posts, but when searched only came up 48 posts.

Suggestion to GAZ:

Is there anyway to test this? Upload the backup version to a test environment and verify?

Maybe you admins can add another subitem to the profile and title it "Join date". Then members can fill in their join date just like they can fill in the other badges like "Biography" or "Location".

Yes, it would be very easy, but there would be obviously some members that would make themselves legendary members though they are not.. :/

I need to test something. I need people who know their registration date (month /year) for certain to tell it to me.

ankita - is 7/5/2004 correct?
Tsukiji - is 8/20/2009 correct?
rhilo - is 8/2/2010 correct?

bluesky how about 10/31/2009 for you? correct?

I need to test something. I need people who know their registration date (month /year) for certain to tell it to me.

Ivy, that's correct. Great, did you look up from the database or what?

Also, if you still have the welcome email when you register, then it will also have the date.

we were able to convert the coded dates from an old (may 2011) database backup to readable dates and now I can see registration dates. :)

I have to talk with Gaz , I don't think he plans to modify /upload the database and risk causing any more problems.

but with this info we have we can manually change the registration dates I believe. :) not perfect but still better than nothing imo :)

jmie - 11/19/03 ?

That's correct! :)

I registered in november 2003. don't know the date. although I didn't post much at that time, only read news. I started posting actively after 25/6/2009

Gaz, I think you made the right desicion. After all, the join date is not THAT important for us to lose posts over it. I don't know how to restore the join dates manually, so I can't help with it... :(

jmie - I see you as 11/19/03 so I'll classify that as correct. yay :)

thank you all. I believe now we have the registration date information which is good but still it would need to be manually entered.

Give us some time so that we can talk with Gaz and decide what to do. Probably at least we will start a thread in the help section and manually correct the dates for the active users who asks us to correct it.

I believe my registration date was Oct. 27, 2009 :D

Not all members tho, I joined in September 2009 but started posting in January 2010...

Thanks Ivy, I hope you will fix it soon :)

@arklove 10/28/2009 1:21 AM. close enough in my book (could be due to forum time difference)

@ T.M.W.S.T.W 9/21/2009

yep I believe we got the dates all right :)

:doh:

Now I seen it in my :lol: .... > Join Date Jul 2011 :eek: :nono:

I do not remember the day, but was in October 2008.

My first post was 07-03-2010 so I guess I joined around that time.

I think I joined November 2010

I joinded 17.12.2010 (I've still the MJJC mail from that day when I joinded):)

Wow, nice work ivy and Gaz! :)

March 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back