FINALLY! People in the media standing up for our man!

This was excellent. I'm saving this and putting it with my "Open when haters start spewing" files.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/comment/columnists/edward_greenspan/2009/07/06/10034746-sun.html

In the frenzy of media coverage of Michael Jackson's death, his 2005 trial on charges of child molestation has been dredged up repeatedly, along with insinuations that the verdict was a case of a celebrity "buying justice." I am offended whenever I hear that tired accusation.

Cynics say Jackson went free because he hired the best lawyers. It may seem witty for critics to repeat Robert Frost's comment that a jury consists of 12 persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer, but I think that is nothing more than a "sour grapes" argument, trudged out whenever a celebrity accused is acquitted.

Obviously the quality of a lawyer matters in presenting the best defence possible, but it is pure ignorance to believe any defendant has ever won a case based solely on the fame of his lawyer. I cannot imagine any judge or juror ever explaining an acquittal on that basis. I have no doubt Jackson's lawyers worked exceptionally hard on preparing his case.

It is also an insult to prosecutors to suggest that Jackson's case was decided by his wealth or choice of defence lawyers. The prosecution's lawyers were no slouches, and the prosecution always has tremendous resources available to them.

Remember, the richest man in the world is Bill Gates, and even he lost when the U.S.government prosecuted Microsoft for anti-trust violations. Having served a five month jail sentence, Martha Stewart might also question whether wealth and celebrity can buy freedom.

Think again

If you think you know that Jackson should have been convicted, think again.

The Jackson trial lasted more than three months, and none of it was televised. Even a slow day of trial will usually include at least four hours of testimony. Thousands of words can be spoken during a single day of testimony, but the journalists who covered the trial probably never wrote more than 1,000 words or used three minutes of TV time to try to summarize each day's developments.

The fact of the matter is that reporting a trial is like a game of broken telephone. Do not think that you know what happened in the courtroom just because you followed the case in the news.

One observer who did attend the trial was Andrew Cohen, chief legal analyst for CBS News.

Following the trial he wrote a column addressed to those who were upset with the verdict: "The case against Jackson was so bad that even you would have acquitted him based solely upon the evidence. Yes, it was that bad."

In every democracy that has a constitution, one of the hallmarks of justice is the presumption of innocence. Everyone is presumed to be innocent and is, in fact, innocent unless and until the government proves guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

If a jury says not guilty, that means, in law and in fact, the person found not guilty is innocent. Whether or not people have difficulty accepting this proposition, it is a central tenet in a free country.

Jackson probably won't be remembered as a saint, but based on the evidence we have, he cannot be remembered as a pedophile, either.

You don't have to forget his unusual relationship with young boys, but you should remember what an acquittal means. It means that in life and in death, Jackson is an innocent man.

-- Edward L. Greenspan is a Toronto criminal lawyer

(applause) thanks very much for posting this...

i pray that this opinion reaches the hearts of the everyday people. Many of my friends and family have this bad feeling... it will certainly take more than 1 to stand up for MJ.

We always knew he wasn`t guilty.... Im so sorry that he didn`t get a chance to do his GOD like comeback, and again be the star we that we faithfull fans know he is and always will be.... I`m so sorry that i didn`t join this community before his death. But i am registrerd at other sites. I read about you in our Norwegian newspaper i just had to join...... Hugs to you all in this horrible greeving time, i`m crying every day, and listening to all his song.....

FINALLY! People in the media standing up for our man!
And its a shame that it took his death to do it.
....along with insinuations that the verdict was a case of a celebrity "buying justice."
I am offended whenever I hear that tired accusation.
That's it in a nutshell. Me too.

Last edited:
Back