Favorite childhood books?

suzynyc

Proud Member
Here are a few of my favorite childhood books (that I can remember - maybe yours will jog my middle aged memory):

My favorite book when I was small. About a little girl who has to make the difficult decision of which of her dolls to enter into a doll contest party that her friend is having...

fc0805054677_2.jpg

I loved the Madeline books. I got lost in quite a few of those...

book%20madeline.jpg

I so loved the Betsy books by Carolyn Haywood. My very favorite was "Merry Christmas From Betsy". That book put me in the Christmas spirit every year. I have even re-read it as an adult and it does the trick when everything else fails...

004413.jpg

Oh, was I fascinated with the "Edith" series of books. These were really just photos of dolls in the books but to me they were real, living and breathing. And they lived in my city, NYC. And I thought Edith was so fashionable. Look at her 70's style! Look at her chic boots! I loved her hair! And she was environmentally conscious before it was cool. In this particular book pictured (I still have it) she protests at City Hall about air pollution!!! And she and little bear clean up the park themselves!!! This book is from the early 70's or late 60's (I read it in the 70's)...

29018.jpg

So, what are some of your favorite childhood books?

These were some of my favorites:

9780688841775.jpg

I still have that book too.

where_the_sidewalk_ends1.jpg

I so loved the poems in that book.

the_giving_tree.jpg

58e3c94d-b2e8-42af-b054-9824ec1650d7

I remember having a bunch of those books when I was little. I use to love them.

berenstainbears.jpg

I also had a whole bunch of those books.

richard-scarry.jpg

I used to have some of those books when I was little.

That is all that I can remember now.

My all time favorite book is Aesop's Fables, although technically it wasn't made for children, just like Grimm's Fairy Tales wasn't. I liked East Of The Sun and West Of The Moon. It was a book of tales sort of like Grimm's or Arabian Knights. I still read AF today sometimes. I remember liking Gertrude Chandler Warner's books about the Alden children. I think the 1st book was called The Boxcar Children. I also remember Petunia the Goose books, although I don't remember exactly what they were about, lol. There was a book called The Water Babies. I think the author's name was Charles Kingsley or something like that. I might still have that one in a box somewhere. I also had a bunch of Mickey Mouse comic books, lol.

These were some of my favorites:

9780688841775.jpg

I still have that book too.

where_the_sidewalk_ends1.jpg

I so loved the poems in that book.

the_giving_tree.jpg

58e3c94d-b2e8-42af-b054-9824ec1650d7

I remember having a bunch of those books when I was little. I use to love them.

berenstainbears.jpg

I also had a whole bunch of those books.

richard-scarry.jpg

I used to have some of those books when I was little.

That is all that I can remember now.

OMG, you used to read the busy world of richard scarry too??? I love that..THere was a video game too!

goodnight-moon.jpg

2dl1536.jpg

the_beatrix_potter_collection_dvd.jpg

except, the Beatrix Potter collection was in book form, of course...

OMG, you used to read the busy world of richard scarry too??? I love that..THere was a video game too!

I never knew about the video game. But I do remember having this big huge pretty thick book of Richard Scarry. It was one of my absolute favorite books to read. The problem I had with that book was that I had read that book so much that it was starting to fall apart. It was such a fun book to read and to look at. I just wish I could remember the exact name of it.

And in my early to mid teens I was in to these books:

51S0NH8531L._SL500_.jpg

The Babysitter series was my absolute favorite series to read back then. I think I might still have the whole Babysitter series. I used to love R.L. Stine books. Until I discover V.C. Andrews books. Which I prefer now. Well her and Stephen King.

Enid Blyton books made my childhood. Mr Pinkwhistle, Mr Twiddle, Amelia Jane, et al were such wonderful characters and great stories. It was because of Enid Blyton that I fell in love with all this British.

When I was studying London I was so thrilled to have my first crumpet with a cup of tea. LOL.

Another book that remains etched in my memory is "The Night They Stole The Alphabet". I have no idea who wrote it and I quite recall what happened in it but every time I think of that book I get a warm, fuzzy feeling and I am 8 years old again, curled up in my bed with a book!

158717152X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Such a strange story, yet will always remain my favorite. I'm excited to see what Tim Burton will bring in the new movie coming out next month!!

6a00cd96fe79064cd500d10a75e47c8bfa-500pi

littlehouse1080409.jpg

corduroy.jpg

When I was in middle school I loved the Sweet Valley Twins series. I read almost all of them

n80597.jpg

f704b2c008a08ed017715010._AA240_.L.jpg

aaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Absolutely adored this book. It made me feel like I was literally whisked away into an alternate universe. :)

I remember some of those books. Like:

The Little Engine That Could
Beatrix Potter stories
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
The Velveteen Rabbit

Some other books I remember reading when I was little:

51aAjnpKOyL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

That use to be one of my favorite stories when I was little. I had that exact same book too. I also remember back when I was in 5th grade. We had read a newer version of the 3 Little Pigs. And all of the pigs had built their houses from bricks in the end. And we had to do a drawing of our way the story should have ended. I drew of how the wolf became a vegetarian. And he had invited the pigs over for a big plateful of vegetables.

motherGooseCover.jpg

This wasn't the book that I had when I was little. I can't seem to find a picture of the Mother Goose book that I had. But I used to love reading the nursery rhymes in that book.

Where-The-Wild-Things-Are_476x357.jpg

I had often wonder what took Hollywood so long to turn that book in to a movie. That was such a great story to read.

peach.jpg

I remember hearing that story in 1st grade. My first grade teacher had read that book to her class.

willy_wonka.jpg

My first grade teacher also read to us this book. And then we watch the movie version of that book.

I have other favorite books from when I was little that I had loved. But I can't seem to remember the exact name of those books. I wish I could remember them. I remember some of the characters and their names. But I can't remember the titles of those books.

Aww such beautiful and cute books everyone! Some I know and some I don't (because I'm much older than most of you, heh). I also realize that, geez I sure did read a lot girly books when I was little. Guess I was a girly girl.

I remembered I also loved my Peanuts paperback books when I was a kid that my mom bought for me at the newsstand. I remember I lost one of them and was heartbroken.

3543544575_31b31642f4.jpg

When I saw the thread title, Straight away I thought of the Hungry Catterpilla and The Tiger who came to tea. Both of those were read so much when I was little..

some other faves were...

Chicken Lickin

P-M-B-9781846461095.jpg

The magic Porridge Pot. :wild: Omg I loved that book!

The+Magic+Porridge+Pot.jpg

Back