'Faking Michael' Podcast Out Now

Not everyone binge listens
I didn't say they did? Even with this in mind the amount of repetition was way too much imo. I don't mind occasional reminders but going over stuff that happened previously in every single episode is tiring. Some of the episodes end up feeling redundant because a big part of them is just repeating things.

Last edited:
I’m on episode 10, my biggest criticism is that it is incredibly repetitive. I swear it almost feels like the same 5 sound bites on repeat. How many times are we gonna hear MP say “that’s a adlib from earth song”. Overall I’m pretty disappointed with this. it could’ve easily been condensed into a 5 episode mini series and been much better.
I actually do agree with this lol. I’ve heard the same sound byte from Michael Prince like 10 times.

Can we just talk for a minute about how absurd Eddies explanation for why “Michael” samples the earth song Adlibs on Keep your head up? I almost bursted out laughing at how absurd that was. So according to Eddie, Michael kept a USB of [acapella] adlibs of previously recorded songs that he put on whatever song he recorded at a given moment instead of recording new adlibs. Just think about that for a minute. So that means that for every song the adlibs had to fit perfectly with the key of the song and the tempo of the song or they had to time stretch the adlibs and transpose the adlib to the correct key to make it fit. All of that instead of just simply recording new adlibs. Of course it’s complete bullshit since there isn’t one instance of MJ doing that for a song, but that explanation really made me realize that those guys were f***g desperate. Wow.

I really enjoy how they go over every version of the registered tracks, and talk about how James Porte was singing on every single one. Even the ones registered way after MJ had already allegedly recorded them.

Also the tracks were basically the same that entire time, apart from the earliest ones where a few songs were different versions with totally different themes and lyrics, still with Porte singing.

I finished the podcast and I gotta say Ep. 9 has to be the best episode for me. The snippets of Water and Monster, the detailing of how some of the Cascio tracks being made into "MJ" songs such as Breaking News first being a song named "Hot" that was meant for a female singer which was something about a woman being lusted by men, that was then turned into a song about Michael being pursued by the media (talk about transformation lmao), a song from the 1930's potentially serving as inspiration for MJ's version of Water, and some others were the most fascinating bits to me.

I'm looking forward to for the next episodes, can't wait for Damien to delve deeper into the Serova vs Sony lawsuit.

Also crossing my fingers for some new leaks lol

Loved that shade Damien threw at him when he played the sample of Money in the background lmao
sooo how was damien able to use money without the estates approval???

Did the estate really authorize shields to use michael's music for something that is critical of them?

I actually do agree with this lol. I’ve heard the same sound byte from Michael Prince like 10 times.

Can we just talk for a minute about how absurd Eddies explanation for why “Michael” samples the earth song Adlibs on Keep your head up? I almost bursted out laughing at how absurd that was. So according to Eddie, Michael kept a USB of [acapella] adlibs of previously recorded songs that he put on whatever song he recorded at a given moment instead of recording new adlibs. Just think about that for a minute. So that means that for every song the adlibs had to fit perfectly with the key of the song and the tempo of the song or they had to time stretch the adlibs and transpose the adlib to the correct key to make it fit. All of that instead of just simply recording new adlibs. Of course it’s complete bullshit since there isn’t one instance of MJ doing that for a song, but that explanation really made me realize that those guys were f***g desperate. Wow.
I can only think of one time MJ reused an adlib and it was from Escape to Unbreakable. Specifically, the “Aow” before the ending instrumental parts is the same in both songs. But since Escape was unreleased, it doesn’t matter.

Eddie’s explanation still sucks though.

I can only think of one time MJ reused an adlib and it was from Escape to Unbreakable. Specifically, the “Aow” before the ending instrumental parts is the same in both songs. But since Escape was unreleased, it doesn’t matter.

Eddie’s explanation still sucks though.
I haven’t listen closely to those, but if it’s true it makes more sense because Rodney was the producer and recorded both those songs with Michael and had easy access to the multitracks and could have even done that himself without Michael’s input. More plausible and more likely than MJ carrying around a USB of old adlibs lol.

I finished the podcast and I gotta say Ep. 9 has to be the best episode for me. The snippets of Water and Monster, the detailing of how some of the Cascio tracks being made into "MJ" songs such as Breaking News first being a song named "Hot" that was meant for a female singer which was something about a woman being lusted by men, that was then turned into a song about Michael being pursued by the media (talk about transformation lmao), a song from the 1930's potentially serving as inspiration for MJ's version of Water, and some others were the most fascinating bits to me.

I'm looking forward to for the next episodes, can't wait for Damien to delve deeper into the Serova vs Sony lawsuit.

I still wonder how and wonder Water was used in This Is It

I liked how Michael Prince literally called “BULLSHIT”.

Just finished it.

Before sharing my thoughts on the podcast itself, I want to take a moment to acknowledge the research Damien Shields has done. What he has achieved over the years is truly commendable. While most of us were aware of the fraud, very few took the time and effort to investigate it. Shields is clearly driven by this pursuit, and it shows in the podcast.

Now, regarding the actual product he delivered. On the technical side, the audio quality is excellent, and the sound effects are absolutely spot on. However, the soundtrack is extremely repetitive, with only a few memorable moments (for example, when Teddy describes the negative energy in the studio while working on the tracks).

Content-wise, I feel the podcast misses the mark for both its potential audiences: the general public and MJ fans (if they were even a target to begin with). For the general audience, the podcast fails at many aspects. While the first episode is impactful and effectively transports listeners back to the day Breaking News premiered—whether or not you're familiar with the story—the rest of the series becomes excessively long and repetitive. If Shields was aiming to engage the general public, the material could have EASILY been condensed into five episodes. Yes, some details would have been cut, but would that really matter for this audience? They spend almost two hours going over copyright records repeatedly. How relevant is that for the general audience? The only key point in this segment is that Porte and Cascio credited MJ only after his death, and the records featured Porte's vocals, not MJ's. That’s the critical information in this entire section.

I understand that Shields wanted to deliver a comprehensive, detailed analysis of his research, but in doing so, he's losing the interest of a broader audience, which likely isn't as concerned with details like the fact that Breaking News was originally called Hot.

The podcast also falls short for MJ fans and enthusiasts of this particular case. It touches on interesting aspects of the production but doesn’t dive as deeply as some of us might have wanted. For instance, it would have been great to know which parts of the lyrics were changed and how the tracks sounded in their early stages. Sure, that might be completely irrelevant to the general audience, but it's fascinating for some fans.

I’ve seen some complaints about the first episode not offering anything new. Personally, it didn’t bother me. In fact, I enjoyed it, especially the final segment. However, this excitement fades as the series progresses, becoming repetitive, even for diehard MJ fans. You will hear Shields repeating the same lines, often with the same soundtrack, followed by the SAME insider quotes multiple times.

In the end, this a VERY well intentioned production that struggles to define its target audience. As a result, it neither fully satisfies MJ fans nor effectively engages a broader audience. The series becomes overly repetitive, giving the impression that there isn't much more to tell, even though there are several hours remaining. That said, the podcast does have its great moments, with solid production and good writing, particularly in the first five episodes. For those familiar with the story, there are some insightful details that you (probably) didn't know, though nothing that truly justifies the almost 11 hours. For those who aren’t MJ fans, this will likely be hard to finish.

Monster (fingers crossed). From the 10s snippet, it sounds like ghosts but with more percussion. Did anyone get the impression the quality of monster was not super HQ? I don’t care for MJ’s scratch vocals but I did love the instrumental for it. Apparently there is beatboxing and strings in the bridge, I want the full version. There is also apparently sounds of bees or flies buzzing but I didn’t hear any in the snippet

Just finished it.

Before sharing my thoughts on the podcast itself, I want to take a moment to acknowledge the research Damien Shields has done. What he has achieved over the years is truly commendable. While most of us were aware of the fraud, very few took the time and effort to investigate it. Shields is clearly driven by this pursuit, and it shows in the podcast.

Now, regarding the actual product he delivered. On the technical side, the audio quality is excellent, and the sound effects are absolutely spot on. However, the soundtrack is extremely repetitive, with only a few memorable moments (for example, when Teddy describes the negative energy in the studio while working on the tracks).

Content-wise, I feel the podcast misses the mark for both its potential audiences: the general public and MJ fans (if they were even a target to begin with). For the general audience, the podcast fails at many aspects. While the first episode is impactful and effectively transports listeners back to the day Breaking News premiered—whether or not you're familiar with the story—the rest of the series becomes excessively long and repetitive. If Shields was aiming to engage the general public, the material could have EASILY been condensed into five episodes. Yes, some details would have been cut, but would that really matter for this audience? They spend almost two hours going over copyright records repeatedly. How relevant is that for the general audience? The only key point in this segment is that Porte and Cascio credited MJ only after his death, and the records featured Porte's vocals, not MJ's. That’s the critical information in this entire section.

I understand that Shields wanted to deliver a comprehensive, detailed analysis of his research, but in doing so, he's losing the interest of a broader audience, which likely isn't as concerned with details like the fact that Breaking News was originally called Hot.

The podcast also falls short for MJ fans and enthusiasts of this particular case. It touches on interesting aspects of the production but doesn’t dive as deeply as some of us might have wanted. For instance, it would have been great to know which parts of the lyrics were changed and how the tracks sounded in their early stages. Sure, that might be completely irrelevant to the general audience, but it's fascinating for some fans.

I’ve seen some complaints about the first episode not offering anything new. Personally, it didn’t bother me. In fact, I enjoyed it, especially the final segment. However, this excitement fades as the series progresses, becoming repetitive, even for diehard MJ fans. You will hear Shields repeating the same lines, often with the same soundtrack, followed by the SAME insider quotes multiple times.

In the end, this a VERY well intentioned production that struggles to define its target audience. As a result, it neither fully satisfies MJ fans nor effectively engages a broader audience. The series becomes overly repetitive, giving the impression that there isn't much more to tell, even though there are several hours remaining. That said, the podcast does have its great moments, with solid production and good writing, particularly in the first five episodes. For those familiar with the story, there are some insightful details that you (probably) didn't know, though nothing that truly justifies the almost 11 hours. For those who aren’t MJ fans, this will likely be hard to finish.
Perfectly put. This is exactly how I feel.

Honestly even though I disagreed with Teddy for working on the fake tracks I also felt sorry for him for the position he was put in, but now I have a totally different opinion on him. He really did just end up using the situation to benefit himself in the end, even if he did start off not being happy with what he was being asked to do.

The snippets of him overdubbing Monster are kinda sad as well, him talking about how he wants it to blend like he was able to do on Remember The Time for MJ.

Just a very bleh feeling about this overall tbh.

Back