fake HEAL THE WORLD charity run by Melissa Johnson closed down by judge, victory for Jacksons

This is good news. My friend gave that "foundation" $70 a few months ago. I told her it was a fake foundation and she was pissed. No refund given.

What happened to Heal the World foundation? Michael was doing great things with it in the early 90's. Why did he lose the foundation? And can the Estate take back the 'heal the world' name and re-create that foundation for Michael?

I am very happy about this. Does she have a problem or something? Oh well, at least she will not be able to prey upon MJ's fans anymore with his likeness. Good for the estate.

Let's hope this will not be soon forgotten!!!! :eek:

I remember all the warnings, the questions and yes, the fights, about this issue back on those terribly post 25th days. Too bad, too painful and too dark.
I would suggest we keep a copy of the info here provided (copies of the webpages or information), so we can have it in hand if this ever happens again. In my case, I asked about them in a forum and good old fans came with those links, interviews and the like. Thanks to all those voices of warning!!!

they posted this on their website

Dear HTWF members,

On April 26th 2010, a judge partially approved and partially denied an injunction against HTWF, which was brought against us by the Jackson estate executors.

The estate sought an injunction preventing us from having Mr. Jackson's name or images on our website, as well as the heal the world name and related trademarks.

The judge approved the portions relating to the images and name of Mr. Jackson and denied their request for the heal the world names.

This means that we can continue to use the Heal The World name, but cannot use Jackson's image or name on our websites.

This injunction is only a part of the trial process and is a "temporary" order that can and will be changed when the jury has ruled at the end of our trial and HTWF has proven their case to a jury.

We will have our website under maintenance for a short time, to make sure we can comply with the court order.

Do not believe all the media reports about HTWF and don't give up on HTWF, we are far from defeated, we are working hard to protect the Charity and will not give up on HTWF.

With all our love,

HTWF Staff

they seem to be quite confident or delusional that they'll win the case in the end.

Ok, everyone. I hate to say this, but I fell for this. :doh: I am a continuous donor, so I really like a fool. I understand that fans provided warnings and I've read through all of these posts, but can someone absolutely say without a doubt that the real HTWF was disbanded long before this one? I'm sorry to ask, but I will need to provide information to a couple other people, so I want to be able to provide anything I can. You can post here or via PM. After reading those bullet points, I'm feeling this is a good start...sigh..:no:

Unfortunately, as you said here, I thought I was helping in the name of Michael. I knew that the activity on HTWF has basically stopped; however, it was said that Michael infused cash back into the foundation in 2008 to get it restarted.

I really wished I had seen the warnings. Unfortunately, this HTWF was one of the first websites that I went to right after June 25th. :no: Thanks for much for any information you can provide.

Peace, love and hugs...:angel::wub:

EDT: I just saw some of the other posts here; thought I read them all. I believe I have all the information I need. now.

Last edited:
it looks like it is a registered charity according to guiding star. see below link.

http://www2.guidestar.org/organizations/95-4329575/heal-world-foundation.aspx#

Edit: Okay I registered to an account to see more about HTWF. There's absolutely no info about them no telephone number, no name for the executives and no income files coming from IRS.

I checked some other local charities and all of them at least had contact info and their executives officers listed.

I'm wondering if nothing can be found because "she" is updating/complying with the changes mandated, OR, is/has there never been any confirmed background/info available? It all sounds shadier than heck to me unless there are legitimate records available comfirming where the money/donations were spent.

Good on the estate for putting this on blast to at least keep her from directly or indirectly leading people to believe they are donating to an MJ supported charity. It made no sense knowing Michael had disengaged or "dissolved" HTW several years ago.

can someone absolutely say without a doubt that the real HTWF was disbanded long before this one?

from an older thread Kate wrote this

The California Secretary of State has this info:

Corporation
HEAL THE WORLD FOUNDATION
Number: C1688875 Date Filed: 7/3/1991 Status: suspended
Jurisdiction: California
Address
SHERMAN OAKS, CA 91413
Agent for Service of Process
BARRY SIEGEL
LOS ANGELES, CA 90064

http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/corpdata/Sh...umber=C1688875

Suspended or Forfeited: The business entity's powers, rights and privileges were suspended or forfeited in California 1) by the Franchise Tax Board for failure to file a return and/or failure to pay taxes, penalties, or interest; and/or 2) by the Secretary of State for failure to file the required Statement of Information and, if applicable, the required Statement by Common Interest Development Association. Information regarding the type of suspension can be obtained by requesting a status report using the Business Entities Records Order Form (pdf ~506KB).

Barry Siegel let the original Foundation lapse--who knows why? He was Michael's CPA, and was to be the third Executor of Michael's estate. Various media have reported Siegel resigned as Executor in 2003.

MSNBC reported this at the time: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4601265

Along comes Melissa Johnson in 2008. Here is what the CA Secretary of State says about that:

Corporation
HEAL THE WORLD FOUNDATION
Number: C3036817 Date Filed: 3/13/2008 Status: active
Jurisdiction: California
Address
PALM DESERT, CA 92260
Agent for Service of Process
MELISSA JOHNSON
INDIO, CA 92203

http://kepler.sos.ca.gov/corpdata/Sh...umber=C3036817

Furthermore TSCM had this info

I do have access to the official Heal The World Foundation tax filings through the year 2003.

The ones filed in 2003 (based on 2002 data) state, at the end:

HEAL THE WORLD FOUNDATION HAS CEASED ITS EXEMPT OPERATIONS FOR THE YEAR ENDED 10/31/2003. THERE WILL BE NO ACTIVITY FOR 2004 AND THE ORGANIZATION WILL FORMALLY DISSOLVED IN 2004.

On the form itself they also checked 'YES' to the question: "Was there a liquidation, dissolution, termination, or substantial contraction during the year?"

Thus, by all legal accounts, the foundation was dissolved in 2004.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if nothing can be found because "she" is updating/complying with the changes mandated, OR, is/has there never been any confirmed background/info available? It all sounds shadier than heck to me unless there are legitimate records available comfirming where the money/donations were spent.

I think the estate most probably took screenshots etc of the website and filed that as evidence with their lawsuit

Everyone can start a charity and they could even name it heal the world - the original trademark is no longer valid and there's another charity in US with the same name - there's nothing illegal in that.

the problem is using Michael's name, picture and likeliness and claiming that he's linked to this organization - for example when I visited this website back in July Michael was listed as the founder , they had several pictures etc. That's soliciting funds under false pretenses. (apparently according to CBS news story they collected $6,200 in donations in July).

Furthermore it looks like they were selling stuff with "MJ" on them and tried to change the name of the organization to "Michael Jackson's Heal the world" - that's trademark infringement.

For everyone donated to this charity , if the estate wins their claim about soliciting funds under false pretenses, this charity will most probably be required to pay back all the money they generated by using Micheal's name either directly to the donors or the estate. (they can also get additional penalties).

I think the estate most probably took screenshots etc of the website and filed that as evidence with their lawsuit

Everyone can start a charity and they could even name it heal the world - the original trademark is no longer valid and there's another charity in US with the same name - there's nothing illegal in that.

the problem is using Michael's name, picture and likeliness and claiming that he's linked to this organization - for example when I visited this website back in July Michael was listed as the founder , they had several pictures etc. That's soliciting funds under false pretenses. (apparently according to CBS news story they collected $6,200 in donations in July).

Furthermore it looks like they were selling stuff with "MJ" on them and tried to change the name of the organization to "Michael Jackson's Heal the world" - that's trademark infringement.

For everyone donated to this charity , if the estate wins their claim about soliciting funds under false pretenses, this charity will most probably be required to pay back all the money they generated by using Micheal's name either directly to the donors or the estate. (they can also get additional penalties).

Thanks for the reply. I think what I meant to ask is about your statement:

" Okay I registered to an account to see more about HTWF. There's absolutely no info about them no telephone number, no name for the executives and no income files coming from IRS.
I checked some other local charities and all of them at least had contact info and their executives officers listed."

Sounds like no information about this woman's "site" was/is available, period. I'm wondering if she ever had any info available, especially around/after June 25th last year, except to imply that it was Michael's charity. No telephone #, no exec names, no income/IRS info, etc. Those things in and of themselves certainly sound more than fishy.

(Hope I'm explaining myself properly)

Thanks for the reply. I think what I meant to ask is about your statement:

" Okay I registered to an account to see more about HTWF. There's absolutely no info about them no telephone number, no name for the executives and no income files coming from IRS.
I checked some other local charities and all of them at least had contact info and their executives officers listed."

Sounds like no information about this woman's "site" was/is available, period. I'm wondering if she ever had any info available, especially around/after June 25th last year, except to imply that it was Michael's charity. No telephone #, no exec names, no income/IRS info, etc. Those things in and of themselves certainly sound more than fishy.

(Hope I'm explaining myself properly)

That website that I used is a third party website that lists charities from public records etc so that as a donor you can check their legitimacy. and at that site there's absolutely no info - no name, no address and no document that came from public IRS records.

A few posts above you can see the information about the charity coming from California Secretary of State which shows the name of the person but the address they listed on that form is an UPS store address.

To me this itself sounds fishy. Now I don't want to jump conclusions about the IRS filing, the charity was formed in 2008 and they might or might not be required to file documents with IRS. But still lack of a proper address, a contact person, a contact phone is suspicious.

However as far as the estate's lawsuit goes they are not challenging or claiming anything about the charity. HTWF can be following all the legal requirements and they could be legit as a charity wise - it doesn't matter as far as this lawsuit goes. The estate is basically saying "stop tricking MJ fans to donate and to think that you are related/approved/ authorized by MJ".

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation, Ivy. I see what you're saying now, and what the estate is doing seems completely logical and reasonable, irregardless of other factors that seem to point to something shady in general with the whole thing.

Michael Jackson Estate Deposes Heal The World Foundation Prez In Trademark Infringement Suit

Attorneys for Michael Jackson's Estate are currently in a secret deposition with Jackson's Heal the World Foundation President Melissa Johnson, after filing a lawsuit claiming the charity uses the King of Pop's name and likeness illegally to solicit donations.

The executors of Jackson's estate, John Branca and John McClain, claim Heal the World Foundation had no relationship with Jackson or his family. The foundation was formed in 2008 and trademarked its name -- also the title of one of Jackson's most famous songs. The suits claims the foundation has even sought trademarks for certain terms like "Thriller," "Neverland" and "King of Pop."

Melissa Johnson - who shares the same initials as Jackson - has trademarked "MJ." In August, the foundation filed notice in the singer's estate case of its intent to use Jackson's name and to sell merchandise with his likeness.

Jackson's estate has filed trademark requests for similar terms and the suit claims trademark infringement and unfair competition and seeks a cancellation of the trademark of Jackson's (and Johnson's) initials.

We're told the Estate picked this week specifically, to begin the deposition, in hopes the media's attention would be diverted to the Murray trial:

"This is why they’ve set up this secret deposition Tuesday at their lawyer's office. The Estate wanted to do it specifically during the Murray trial so they could divert attention from this case, while they try to place a gag order on Johnson.”

Looks like lawyers for the Jackson estate have got their hands full!

Question: Why would this woman even THINK she'd stand a chance in court with no agreement on record from Michael?

http://x17online.com/celebrities/michael_jackson/x17_exclusive_michael_jacksons_heal_the_worl.php

video:

http://x17video.com/celebrity_video/michael_jackson/x17_exclusive_heal_the_world_p.php

Back