Executor is cool under Jackson family pressure

ivy

Proud Member
BY LINDA DEUTSCH
AP SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

LOS ANGELES -- While family members squabble in public over Michael Jackson's money, the man who holds the purse strings of the estate is a calm center of the storm.

As co-executor of Jackson's will, John Branca chooses to ignore the erupting dramas and personal attacks and keeps his eye on the future, which he says belongs to Jackson's mother and children and to the pop star's musical legacy.

He and co-executor John McClain have been successfully pursuing projects to pay off a mountain of debt left by the superstar, to assure the financial future of his three children and to guarantee that Jackson's music will live forever.

"When Michael Jackson died, he was near bankruptcy," said Branca, suggesting the future for his three young children was uncertain. "Now we know the kids will be OK."

Branca sat down recently with The Associated Press to discuss the current state of the Jackson estate and projects to preserve Jackson's image as the King of Pop. But he resolutely refused to address the elephant in the room - recent attacks on him and McClain by some Jackson siblings who were left out of their brother's will.

They sent a lengthy letter that became public accusing the executors of deceit and manipulation of their mother and claiming that Jackson's will was a fraud. They have not taken any court action and legal experts say the time to challenge the will, which disinherited them, is long past.

Branca and McClain issued a statement calling the accusations "false and defamatory," adding "we are especially disheartened that they come at a time when remarkable progress is being made to secure the financial future of his children ..."

Secure in his knowledge that all four of Jackson's wills named him as executor, Branca continues to make deals for the Jackson estate that are generating millions in revenue. This week, they announced an agreement with Sony/ATV Music Publishing to administer Jackson's Mijac Music catalog, which includes such hits as "Beat It" and "Billie Jean." The deal is expected to generate enough revenues to pay off a remaining $5 million loan by year's end.

Since Jackson's death on June 25, 2009, Branca said the singer's personal debt of $200 million has been paid off and another $300 million tied to his ownership of the Sony and ATV catalogs has been renegotiated.

"Michael had a will and a trust and that's what we follow," he said.

The estate pays Mrs. Jackson $70,000 a month for the children's support, pays the rent on their mansion in Calabasas, and is picking up bills for other expenses including renovation of their Encino home.

Branca's AP interview was his indirect response to accusations by Janet, Jermaine, Randy and Rebbie Jackson that the estate was being mishandled. Jermaine later disavowed the incendiary letter and called for peace in the family. But Janet, Randy and Rebbie fired back with a letter of their own reiterating their complaints.

Brimming with excitement, Branca spoke of upcoming ventures he thinks would have delighted Jackson, especially a permanent Jackson-themed extravaganza on the Las Vegas Strip. It comes on the heels of the Cirque du Soleil Jackson tribute show, "Immortal: The World Tour."

"The Lion King" theater at the Mandalay Bay Hotel is being rebuilt to house the still untitled show, also a Cirque du Soleil production, which is set to open May 23, 2013.

"It will be highly theatrical and completely different from the arena show, which was more of a concert," Branca said. "We will have the opportunity to create something special and ground-breaking."

Declining to reveal all of the technical wizardry planned, he said, "We've got all kinds of tricks up our sleeves."

Every seat will have its own speakers, while the walls and ceiling will be used to create "a totally immersive experience for the audience," he said.

Unlike the touring show, there will be no live band and all music will come from remixes of Jackson's recordings.

Branca and co-executor McClain, a reclusive recording executive, say they understand Jackson's desires to take care of his mother and children - Prince, Paris and Blanket - financially and keep his music alive.

"We feel Michael entrusted us with his legacy and with the future of his mother and children," Branca said. "We're honored and proud and passionate about celebrating Michael. It's a labor of love for us. We love Michael."

Branca met Jackson in 1980 when both were just starting out. They would go on to legendary success together but there were also some rocky times. During more than two decades together, they had two three-year periods of estrangement over business disagreements.

Branca was rehired by Jackson a month before he died, with instructions to draft an agenda for future business deals. Branca presented the plan a week before Jackson died and it has been the roadmap for the estate's posthumous enterprises.

In addition to the upcoming Las Vegas show, a new album and a concert DVD will be released soon celebrating the 25th anniversary of Jackson's "BAD" album. Then a two-hour documentary by acclaimed filmmaker Spike Lee on the making of "BAD" will show at the Toronto and Venice film festivals next month.

The anniversary promotions include a deal with Pepsi to put silhouettes of Jackson on a billion cans of soda in 20 countries.

And this week, the Cirque du Soleil traveling show begins an international tour to Mexico, Europe and perhaps Asia.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/08/23/2965337_p2/executor-is-cool-under-jackson.html#storylink=cpy

Re: Executor is cool under Jackson family pressure Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/

Since Jackson's death on June 25, 2009, Branca said the singer's personal debt of $200 million has been paid off

So is this somehow actually the accurate number and not $300 - 500 million like media have reported? Branca would know, right?

Thanks Ivy :flowers:

Branca's Great response to his accusers :) as they use to say "The proof is in the pudding"

Re: Executor is cool under Jackson family pressure Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/

So is this somehow actually the accurate number and not $300 - 500 million like media have reported? Branca would know, right?

That's the amount paid. They said the Mijac debt was almost paid - which was $75 Million, they paid $36 million debt to AEG. There was $30 Million of creditor claims, 3 years of unpaid tax debt, Hayvenhurst mortgage of $5.5 Million etc. So that and some extras might be the $200 Million of debt they paid.

It would mean that the $300 Million Sony/ATV loan is still being paid as we saw it at second accounting.

That's the amount paid. They said the Mijac debt was almost paid - which was $75 Million, they paid $36 million debt to AEG. There was $30 Million of creditor claims, 3 years of unpaid tax debt, Hayvenhurst mortgage of $5.5 Million etc. So that and some extras might be the $200 Million of debt they paid.
It would mean that the $300 Million Sony/ATV loan is still being paid as we saw it at second accounting.
How could Michael nearly bankruptcy? if he was alive, there will be no AEG debts or those creditor claims. 5.5 million mortgage is the house the Jacksons lived, not Michael. The 3 years unpaid tax is the thing Michael had to pay if he was alive. His real debts are 70 millions against mijac and 275 millions against Sony/ atv, that michael had already managed to use the money generated in the catalogs to pay off the loans. The estate didn't change anything but lowered the interest rate after his death, and continue let catalogs pay off those debts.
I know John branca tried to defend himself, but I hate people talk like that. From 03-09, Michael had to withhold his life to deal with all the bullshit and heal himself. In 09, Almost a million tickets sold out within hours and thousands people still queue to buy his tickets, prove Michael can earn big money if he wanted.

Last edited:
Isn't that like Branca, though, to forge ahead and leave the noise behind him? This is one of the key things about Branca, his ability to be focused and not be distracted by ineffective noise and rants from disorganized minds. Branca did say before that Michael called him and told him to prepare a plan and he was following it. In hindsight, we can say that it was a good thing that Michael requested this, because when Michael died unexpectedly, Branca went immediately into work mode since he already had a plan than Michael approved, for him to follow.

The comment about Michael being near bankruptcy, I wonder if Branca qualified this by saying why, or whether with restructuring of the debts Michael would have been OK, etc. The part about the children's future would be uncertain, was the author's thoughts. I doubt Branca would be so stupid as to suggest this, since the only way the children's future would be uncertain, is if Michael did not have a legacy, did not have a catalog, did not have other plans developing, was incapable of creating music, etc. to create money. After all, wasn't one of the reasons Branca was brought back on the team was to create a new plan to move forward? Further, the same things used now to pay off debts, were already in existence when Michael was alive, e.g, his music, his star power. Consequently, Michael always had resources that could be harnessed to protect his children's future.

If Michael had lived, Branca would come with the plan, and they would move forward with it, together with the new ventures found on Michael's notes that showed he had his fingers in a number of business deals; so the children's future was ok. If Michael had died, which he did, Branca would come forward and do the same things he is doing now, so the children's future would be ok. That "uncertain" statement reminds me so much like's Hunt's claim about part of the tribute money would go to the children, as though they were in need of scraps.

I applaud Branca for a job well done, for the success of the estate, etc., but let us not act as though what he used to accomplish this, had nothing to do with, was not created by, or did not come from the man Michael Jackson himself. In essence, if Michael Jackson did not make and leave behind such a tremendous legacy, irrespective of debt, there would be nothing to use to create a strong estate, and we should never forget that. This is not to take anything away from Branca's brilliance, talent, achievements, and love of his work.

I applaud Branca for a job well done, for the success of the estate, etc., but let us not act as though what he used to accomplish this, had nothing to do with, was not created by, or did not come from the man Michael Jackson himself. In essence, if Michael Jackson did not make and leave behind such a tremendous legacy, irrespective of debt, there would be nothing to use to create a strong estate, and we should never forget that. This is not to take anything away from Branca's brilliance, talent, achievements, and love of his work.
Amen. :bow:

His real debts are 70 millions against mijac and 275 millions against Sony/ atv, that michael had already managed to use the money generated in the catalogs to pay off the loans.

are you sure about that? Those loans had high interest rates and the payments perhaps wasn't enough to cover all the payments. 3 years later the refinancing the loan was the same amount. and didn't the media and anti-aeg people claim that michael had to do concerts and earn money because the loan was gonna mature? if the catalogs were paying for themselves then what was the need for money?

In 09, Almost a million tickets sold out within hours and thousands people still queue to buy his tickets, prove Michael can earn big money if he wanted.

true and I believe if Michael had lived and did the TII tour and other projects such as movies and such he could have paid the debt himself as well. No one is denying that. Here Branca is trying to say that when he took over after Michael's death they had to deal with significant amount of debt.

How could Michael nearly bankruptcy? if he was alive, there will be no AEG debts or those creditor claims. 5.5 million mortgage is the house the Jacksons lived, not Michael. The 3 years unpaid tax is the thing Michael had to pay if he was alive. His real debts are 70 millions against mijac and 275 millions against Sony/ atv, that michael had already managed to use the money generated in the catalogs to pay off the loans. The estate didn't change anything but lowered the interest rate after his death, and continue let catalogs pay off those debts.
I know John branca tried to defend himself, but I hate people talk like that. From 03-09, Michael had to withhold his life to deal with all the bullshit and heal himself. In 09, Almost a million tickets sold out within hours and thousands people still queue to buy his tickets, prove Michael can earn big money if he wanted.
Well said, and so true. :bow:

I have so much respect for Branca. He's doing a terrific job, and not once lowering himself to tabloid levels like the Jackson's do. Of course Michael could have done this himself if he had lived through it, but this wouldn't have been an easy job to do, and he's doing it, and doing it brilliantly.

Ps I'm gonna start saving now to fly to Las Vegas for that show ;)

^^Yes that show sounds out of this world. Again, another exciting thing for us to look forward to!!!

All that will be left is the Sony/ATV loan that was renegotiated to pay off pretty much? I think they are doing a great job and they really want the kids to be financially secure. Michael's music will live forever. I wouldn't answer questions about certain people either. Their work and how strong they are making the estate is all the answer they need. Even non fans can see they are doing a good job.

true and I believe if Michael had lived and did the TII tour and other projects such as movies and such he could have paid the debt himself as well. No one is denying that. Here Branca is trying to say that when he took over after Michael's death they had to deal with significant amount of debt.

Excatly since mj is not here to deal with all that stuff the estate are the ones who have to

It is amazing how today I was thinking about Linda Deutsch and here she appears! I remember that she was the journalist called after the trial to thank her for her fairness in reporting.

I was actually thinking that I would love for her to do some investigative digging into the AEG lawsuit and the saga of interventions (spending too much time in that thread).

Michael would have paid off his debt in about 3 years and Frank Dileo thought a year and a half.

The whole intention of getting back out on the stage was to do exactly that, pay off his debt. It was a clusterfuck when Michael passed, but John Branca has a good head for number crunching, that and the legal system and viola! there is a light at the end of the dark tunnel. Even Frank Dileo said the same thing, quoting his pal, Michael Jackson, when Michael was preparing for his Shows at the 02 Arena in London, 'there is a light at the end of the tunnel.'

1719_macabre192614.jpg

I don't have much time to go into details..,but keep in mind catalog or not, his creditors could have forced him into bankruptcy.

If he was not able to meet his obligations, creditors, could have gone to court & force him into bankruptcy, so a judge could order sale of some of his assets (Sony/ATV, MiJac) so he could meet those payments. We know hayvenhurst Was about to get repossessed, utilites close to being shut off ....

Bankrutcy MIGHT not have been as far fetched as you'd think before This Is It. Similar to what is happening to Arnod Klein....

We can all speculate that MJ was probably aware of ths dire situation, that's why he reluctantly agreed to TII after so many years off stage.

Branca is such a gentleman, not once did he lower himself to the tabloid level.

We all know Michael was in debt. Personal and business loans need to be paid and Michael loaned heavily against both of his catalogues. And the fact that, before he hired Branca and Dileo, his business seemed to be managed by everybody and nobody didn't help either. However, this doesn't mean that Michael was poor. There is a difference.

He had all these assets, music, properties and art, he could have easily get out of debt by selling any of it but he chose not to. That's his good right but money has to come in, hence TII concerts. Allthough I don't think money was the prime reason he agreed to do TII, it sure helped.

I had to laugh to title. When Randy sees it, it will blow his head off:hysterical:

The Vegas show sound great. Too bad I will never be able to visit.

I could live without "he was near bankruptcy'' comment.

No surprise that Branca doesn't let the Jacksons' or other people's comments phase him.

BY LINDA DEUTSCH
AP SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

Branca met Jackson in 1980 when both were just starting out. They would go on to legendary success together but there were also some rocky times. During more than two decades together, they had two three-year periods of estrangement over business disagreements.

Great read, smart man. But it's funny reading MJ was just starting out in '80 when he was actually a veteran performer by that time and MAJOR star. I know they are referring to his solo career, but Off the Wall was in '79 so his solo career was already in high gear as well. Just thinking of how much Michael had already accomplished by that time at only 22, reminds you all over again how remarkable he was. But Branca was just starting out. MJ was truly one of a kind.

Great read, smart man. But it's funny reading MJ was just starting out in '80 when he was actually a veteran performer by that time and MAJOR star. I know they are referring to his solo career, but Off the Wall was in '79 so his solo career was already in high gear as well. Just thinking of how much Michael had already accomplished by that time at only 22, reminds you all over again how remarkable he was. But Branca was just starting out. MJ was truly one of a kind.
I agree with you!!!! :yes:

The Estate of Michael Jackson ALWAYS keeps it classy. I applaud them for that.

In all honesty, The Estate really doesn't have to say anything, aside from their initial statement, all they have to do is sit back and allow "some" members of the Jackson family to make fools of themselves, while continuing with their "foot-in-mouth" disease.

I fully support The Estate and love the way they handle themselves, they don't need to get down in the dirt, their actions speak for themselves, in my opinion.

P.S. The permanent Las Vegas show sounds very exciting. I can't wait to see it.

Saw Immortal in Vegas last december and now i'm sooooo gonna start saving up again to see the permanent show too!

Quote by Petrarose: "I applaud Branca for a job well done, for the success of the estate, etc., but let us not act as though what he used to accomplish this, had nothing to do with, was not created by, or did not come from the man Michael Jackson himself. In essence, if Michael Jackson did not make and leave behind such a tremendous legacy, irrespective of debt, there would be nothing to use to create a strong estate, and we should never forget that. This is not to take anything away from Branca's brilliance, talent, achievements, and love of his work."

WELL SAID!

So far, the executors of the Michael Jackson Estate have done an excellent job.
But if Michael Jackson had left me the rights to his songs (like the rarely heard three masterpieces below), I too might be doing an excellent job. :)

Click on videos and ENJOY:

"Don't Walk Away"

"Fly Away"

"Whatever Happens" with Carlos Santana

people seem to forget there are still 300 million loan against sony/atv. Last year they only paid around 3 million to the loan, I think the amount barely cover the interest of the year. I don't know what kind of new confidential agreement the estate signed regarding this loan's restructures. I don't get where this "John branca is the best ever" from. I recognized the executors over all good work so far but until the executors secure Michael's 50% Sony/atv, I will always be suspicious. Some People kept saying Michael must be nearly bankrupt, that's why he did "this is it". I dont agree but If it's true, Then sony/atv is more important than ever because it has michael's blood and cost his life to save it. We know Michael had the option to sell his catalog, pay off his loans and have the easy life but he never did. Michael is gone but that doesn't mean I will forget Michael's words about some business sharks after his Sony/atv and all the backstabing and schemes involved. IMO John branca's best defense of jackson's accusation is to secure Michael's 50% sony/atv, that's the biggest slap on Jacksons face.

@Ivy, the Sony/atv loan I read before is from 272.5millions to 300 millions varies, the mijac loan is 45 million to 70million varies, it fluctuated from different media reports. There is no way i am sure. but I don't think it's far from the truth.

Last edited:
Michael was a very smart businessman let's not forget that. He worked with Branca because he saw talent and a great mind for business. They may have had disagreements but Michael always respected Branca and vice versa. Branca was class all the way and Michael knew that. Michael would come back to him time and time again because of all of this. And thankfully he did again one month before this tragedy. If it weren't for Michael and his business acumen his estate would be in ruins right now at the hands of who know who (family, Tohme). Despite the horrendous circumstances, it worked out for the best for Michael and his legacy. Michael, I'm glad chose a class act to entrust his legacy.

BTW, I CANNOT wait to go to Las Vegas for that permanent show!!

Back