Exclusive: Rodney & RayJ - Michael Jackson

souldreamer7

Proud Member
July 26th 2010
Rodney Jerkins (Darkchild) & Ray J reflect on Michael & the possibility of a new upcoming unreleased album.

http://VladTV.com

Last edited:
blueocean;2904974]I like this interview michael was such a kind and loving person Its good to hear he gave him knowledge about publishing.
This does'nt surprise me at all, Michael loved to pass on to others the things he had learnt in his life.

Ray Jay seemed impressed with the tracks he heard, man i so wanna hear them too. I guess the red tape Rodney speaks of is with the Estate/Sony.

yeah..people think MJ was stupid when it came to money. Jerkins tell em different, and seems financially happy about it.

Last edited:
guau

:eek:

some people had such huge priviledge working and learning from the best.
hope they will also shere all they learned (and did!!).

wowo

Last edited:
Isnt rodney the guy who said lady gaga is the next MJ? or is better or greater than Mj or something?

Isnt he also the guy who produce the flopped invincible album?

Not interested in what he has to say..

Invincible isn't flopped as it sold like 8 million copies.

I'm glad to hear he's going to work on something. Maybe it's the new album, or a Invincible 10 release.

I think the "work" Rodney is doing is creating the final mixes for the songs or fighting a political fight to make the tracklist.

I remember reading a few years back how political the track selection process is on MJ albums. Every producer, musician, etc. fights and fights hard to make the final tracklist. This is not only an ego thing, to prove that your work was good enough, but also a money thing. The royalties made from being on a Michael Jackson album are huge.

It's been implied this is what negatively impacted the relationship between MJ and Bryan Loren years ago. Bryan worked tirelessly for three years on Dangerous, recording something like 25 songs together, only to see not one make the final tracklist.

Babyface once had similar beef with MJ on this same topic. He told Friedman back around when Invincible came out that MJ has bought the exclusive performing rights to dozens of the best songs that Babyface wrote, and never even touched them. Babyface was frustrated because he'd much rather see these songs go to himself or other artists who will actually record and release them.

Last edited:
Isnt he also the guy who produce the flopped invincible album? Not interested in what he has to say..

Well, don't worry, dear: if you are not interested, no one will force to buy it :tease:
we just have to wait... and see (hear, lol). As usual... as always.... maaannnnn :depressed:

Babyface once had similar beef with MJ on this same topic. He told Friedman back around when Invincible came out that MJ has bought the exclusive performing rights to dozens of the best songs that Babyface wrote, and never even touched them. Babyface was frustrated because he'd much rather see these songs go to himself or other artists who will actually record and release them.
Babyface is one of the writers of Word To The Badd!, so I guess this is the reason he was upset with Mike. But they made up later.

Babyface is one of the writers of Word To The Badd!, so I guess this is the reason he was upset with Mike. But they made up later.

woow... really? :eek:
no idea about it... that song.... ewwwwww
thanks for the info.

I think the "work" Rodney is doing is creating the final mixes for the songs or fighting a political fight to make the tracklist.

I remember reading a few years back how political the track selection process is on MJ albums. Every producer, musician, etc. fights and fights hard to make the final tracklist. This is not only an ego thing, to prove that your work was good enough, but also a money thing. The royalties made from being on a Michael Jackson album are huge.

It's been implied this is what negatively impacted the relationship between MJ and Bryan Loren years ago. Bryan worked tirelessly for three years on Dangerous, recording something like 25 songs together, only to see not one make the final tracklist.

Interesting.

I remember an interview with Teddy Riley from the mid-nineties where he said "that's not the real HIStory album, as far as I'm concerned", implying that they had worked on material together which he felt should've made the album. No Teddy Riley cuts made the tracklist though.

Interesting.

I remember an interview with Teddy Riley from the mid-nineties where he said "that's not the real HIStory album, as far as I'm concerned", implying that they had worked on material together which he felt should've made the album. No Teddy Riley cuts made the tracklist though.

Yes! I remember hearing this too!

In fact, generally, a lot of people who've worked with MJ were sort of stupefied as to why he neglected so much of his own best work. Bryan Loren had said that "Man in Black" was at one time the surefire first single from Dangerous. It ended up not even making the album.

Also in a video interview after MJ's death, and in the Rolling Stone tribute book, Rodney Jerkins talked about how MJ left their best work off Invincible. He kind of implied there were a lot of disagreements related to the track selection.

I really think MJ was planning on Sony's Invincible sabotage before its release and had anticipated that he would have to release something by 2002/2003. To this day I wonder if there's any truth to the so-called "7EVEN"/"Resurrection" album so hotly rumored in 2003.

Where to start with you?

For one thing, Invincible didnt flop....thats the kind of thing none MJ fans say all the time, its sold way over 10 million by now. Which is amazing for an album released when downloads where available.

Secondly, if the album had flopped then I think its a bit harsh to say 'I dont care what he has to say' he's not a bad person. I love to hear from anyone who has positive things to say about Michael, which is basically anyone who knew him personally.

Such a great interview and you can clearly hear the admiration in Rodney's and Ray's voices. I'm dying to hear the new album(s), I bet that there is just so much good stuff in the vault, it'll be hard to choose from. And I will buy any new album, regardless of all the politics that go on behind the scenes, the bickering. Maybe that is quite normal for the music business even, anyone know ?

Thanks for posting the video, Souldreamer!

I agree with you, NO JERKINS! :swoon:

BTW, what about the Sony deal and the brand new November album?
MJ Estate and Sony have to agree and give Jerking an approval... if Michael is a co-owner (co-producer, co-writer) of the songs.... or not?

Rodney Jerkins to Release New Michael Jackson Album

Rodney Jerkins to Release New Michael Jackson Album

WireImage | Getty Images Fans itching to get more music from the late Michael Jackson may be in for a treat. Super producer Rodney Jerkins revealed that he will release a new album of previously unheard material from the King of Pop. Jerkins, who spoke with VladTV about the album, was mum on an official release date but confirmed that the project would eventualy see the light of day. "You know there is a lot of red tape, but it's definitely going to happen," he said.

Jerkins produced several tracks for Jackson, including the 2001 single 'You Rock My World,' which went on to become the last big hit single of his career, "I worked with Michael for years,' Jerkins continued. "It was definitely a goal of mine as a kid. When I first wanted to be producer, at 11 years old, on a Iittle piece of paper was like, 'One day I wanna work with Michael Jackson.' I just believe that God granted my wish."

Aside from working with Jackson, Jerkins remains one of the industry's biggest producers. He is the man behind hit singles for big names like Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez and Beyoncé. Currently, Jerkins is working with singer/reality star Ray J on his forthcoming album.

Check out Jerkins' interview below.

http://www.theboombox.com/2010/07/27/rodney-jerkins-to-release-new-michael-jackson-album/

Back