Earthquakes rattle Pacific Coast of USA

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
An 7.2 earthquake just hit 108 miles ESE off Tijuana. Apparently people in LA and San Diego felt it. I hope everyone in those area's are ok.

A string of earthquakes rattled the Pacific Coast of the United States and Mexico on Sunday, including a magnitude 7.2 quake that could be felt across Baja California, Arizona and southern California, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. That quake, centered about 175 kilometers (110 miles) east-southeast of Tijuana, was the largest of at least four that struck from the Mexican desert to the northern California wine country, according to the USGS. There was no immediate report of damage or injuries from the quakes in Los Angeles or San Diego, according to authorities in those cities.
"We felt it for about 30 seconds. It was rolling," San Diego County Sheriff's Lt. Scott Ybarrondo told CNN. "Nothing fell off the walls here, but we have reports of pictures falling off walls elsewhere in the county."
iReport.com: Water comes out of pool in Hemet, California
The northernmost quake report came from near Santa Rosa, California, north of San Francisco. That magnitude 4.1 temblor struck about nine minutes after the Baja California quake and about 500 miles further north.
Chandeliers swung and water sloshed around in swimming pools in the Los Angeles suburbs, witnesses reported, while posters to the Web site Twitter reported feeling the quake in Phoenix, Arizona.
iReport.com: Pots clang in San Diego, California, home
The Los Angeles Fire Department received a couple of reports of people being trapped in elevators after the Baja California quake, department Capt. Steve Ruda said.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/04/04/mexico.earthquake/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Last edited:
Re: Earthquake in USA

I'm sure they are okay... my aunt/uncle & fam lived in San Diego a long time and she said unless it's a really huge knocker locally, they don't even flinch anymore. Which to me is nuts I'd be like :blink: :ph34r: !!! :p Hope everyone is okay too :)

Yeah I know. I just saw Adam Lambert's tweet. I used to live in San Diego and I have family there too. I hope everyone is ok!

LATEST: A strong earthquake south of the US-Mexico border has shaken high-rises in downtown Los Angeles and San Diego and was felt across Southern California and Arizona.
The large 6.9-magnitude earthquake hit the Mexican area of Baja California, the US Geological Survey reports.
Mexican officials had no immediate reports of damage or injuries.
"I'm shaking like a leaf ... the pool water was just going everywhere," said Jean Nelson in Indio, California outside of Palm Springs.
A Reuters witness in Tijuana said cars in a car park outside a building could be seen jolting with the quake.
The quake was felt in downtown Los Angeles, witnesses said.
The earthquake, at a depth of 32.3km, struck at 10.40am NZT, 26km from Guadalupe, Victoria.
No major damage has been reported, though there are reports of people being stuck in lifts.
All rides in Disneyland have been shut down, media reports say.
3547866.jpg

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/3547884/Mexico-rocked-by-6-9-earthquake

It was upgraded to a 7.2 earthquake

t1larg.bookstore.irpt.jpg

(CNN) -- A string of earthquakes and aftershocks rattled the Pacific Coast of the United States and Mexico on Sunday, including a magnitude 7.2 quake that could be felt across Baja California, Arizona and southern California, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

There were no immediate reports of injuries and only limited reports of damages from that quake, which struck at 3:40 p.m. PT about 175 kilometers (110 miles) east-southeast of Tijuana.

"We felt it for about 30 seconds. It was rolling," San Diego County Sheriff's Lt. Scott Ybarrondo told CNN. "Nothing fell off the walls here, but we have reports of pictures falling off walls elsewhere in the county."

iReport.com: Water comes out of pool in Hemet, California

The next-largest, a magnitude 4.1 quake, rattled windows nine minutes later in Santa Rosa, north of San Francisco. No damage was reported there, and Susan Potter, a USGS geophysicist, told CNN that was a separate quake from the one that struck in the Baja California desert.

Chandeliers swung and water sloshed around in swimming pools in the Los Angeles suburbs, witnesses reported, while posters to Twitter reported feeling the quake in Phoenix, Arizona.

iReport.com: Pots clang in San Diego, California, home

Capt. Steve Ruda, a spokesman for the Los Angeles city fire department, said there were "isolated" power outages and a few people reported trapped in elevators, but no injuries or structural damage was reported. The Baja California quake spawned at least five aftershocks, the largest of which was a magnitude 5.1, Potter said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/04/04/mexico.earthquake/index.html

Could you imagine the people that were on rollercoasters during the earthquake in Disney Land? Now that would be scary!

Baja earthquake was 7.2. Quake that devastated Haiti was 7.0

x2_10681c8

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/ci14607652.php
Earthquake Details

Magnitude7.2 Date-Time
Location32.128°N, 115.303°W Depth10 km (6.2 miles) (poorly constrained) RegionBAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO Distances
  • 26 km (16 miles) SW (225°) from Guadalupe Victoria, Baja California, Mexico
  • 60 km (38 miles) SSE (165°) from Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
  • 62 km (38 miles) SW (233°) from San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora, Mexico
  • 167 km (104 miles) ESE (105°) from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 2.4 km (1.5 miles); depth +/- 31.6 km (19.6 miles) ParametersNph= 13, Dmin=70 km, Rmss=0.28 sec, Gp=259°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=2 Source
Event IDci14607652

Easter in Southern California ROCKS!

Mother nature has been quite active this year. The earth is stretching.

1da7ky

There has already been a 4.1 triggered Earthquake in the Santa Monica Mountains-as a result of Mexicali

82804162-868b7e6cb4ed5daa63b16edbd93d7ed7.4bb9375c-scaled.jpg

Someone mentioned that people were stuck in the sky gliders at the San Diego zoo! That is really scary!

ZooSkyride.gif

2 earthquakes hit calif with in minutes of each other Baja 7.2 and san fran 4.0

Imperial County CA says gas stations are packed. Huge lines

Magnitude 3 earthquake hits Malibu (Santa Monica Bay) part of trigger earthquakes after Baja

I'm from southern California (San Diego), but currently go to college here in NYC. I talked to my family though back home and they said they were alright, but the entire house was shaking like crazy! I've been through an earthquake before, but not a 7.2 like I just missed.

I hope there will be no major damages, but 7,2 is heavy.
I was socked by the news and started searching for info over the internet and then PAAAWWWW!!!!!! Another major mini-earthquake in Chile. It was only 5,8, but it was so noisy and violent, that it got me in tears. One will never get used to these things :no:
Big hugs to all of you and please take care!! Please, please!!!

Back