Drake’s new song paying tribute to the King

I'm gonna leave this thread this isn't for me. but until drake say sorry he still on my list. so be it. bye.

Re: Degrassi: The Next Generation

which show?
The name was in the title above (Degrassi: The Next Generation). It's a reboot of an older show called Degrassi High, sort of like Star Trek The Next Generation. There was a popular meme about Wheelchair Jimmy.

Awesome! Been playing it on a loop. Don't know how I feel about him re-naming the MOONWALK to Toosie Slide though. :moonwalk
?

He doesn't. Watch the video, it's a new dance.
So much hate for Drake.

According to the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America), Drake has passed Elvis, Eminem and Michael Jackson for total music sales grossing up to $218,280,000 in sales. No other solo male artist has even broken $200,000,000,

Last edited:

The name was in the title above (Degrassi: The Next Generation). It's a reboot of an older show called Degrassi High, sort of like Star Trek The Next Generation. There was a popular meme about Wheelchair Jimmy.

I use tio watch that all time! cant belive i nevr noticed

?

So much hate for Drake.

According to the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America), Drake has passed Elvis, Eminem and Michael Jackson for total music sales grossing up to $218,280,000 in sales. No other solo male artist has even broken $200,000,000,

Yeah but those are with the new rules of streaming etc.

?

So much hate for Drake.

Never compare modern achievements to those of the past. There are a whole bunch of reasons why they can't be compared, but of course that doesn't stop the press (and even the RIAA) doing so. For their part the RIAA just don't want people to know that they conversion formula for streams to sales is fairly arbitrary and therefore meaningless, and the press just love to tear down the greats.

Smooth72;4285534 said:
This is a positive thing for MJ. Drake is a top artist who obviously loves Michael Jackson. Give it a rest guys he changed the setlist on his tour big deal. He may have distanced himself from MJ for a bit but who didn’t considering what went down with LN. he’s back with some positive MJ vibe and the song is catchy. Just let it roll guys, for the sake of hopefully this will help with the negative MJ shit.

Absolutely. It doesn't matter if MJ fans like Drake or think he's over rated, or even if they want to gripe about set list changes.

All that matters is Drake is a MASSIVE star right now. He's very influential. His streams are massive.
He's put out a track that is pro-MJ at just the right time IMO. The dust has started to settle after LN and he's bringing the focus back into the positive. That will translate to the millions of people, predominantly a young demographic, who will listen to his music. There are some great tik toks out there with these young guys dancing to Drake and pulling MJ moves. This song did that. Also, I'm impressed that these young kids, most of them only a few years old when MJ died, know some of his iconic moves.

MJ fans should support this song, or at least not trash it!

Never compare modern achievements to those of the past. There are a whole bunch of reasons why they can't be compared, but of course that doesn't stop the press (and even the RIAA) doing so. For their part the RIAA just don't want people to know that they conversion formula for streams to sales is fairly arbitrary and therefore meaningless, and the press just love to tear down the greats.

Exactly! You can't change the rules, if you do then you can't compare those competing under the new rules with those competing under the old ones.

It would be like if the 100m sprint in athletics was shortened by a third, and then saying oh the world record was smashed for the 100m sprint.

Wasnt meant as a comparison. Just to show Drake isn't some one hit wonder. Biggest star at the moment.

And I wasn't comparing sales with streams. This was about money made, which is a fairer comparison. But of course there's been inflation etc. Etc.

?

So much hate for Drake.

Drake has only passed the greats like MJ in streams, hence why his RIAA certifications are greater. His sales are nowhere near greats like MJ, Evis, Eminem etc.

Remember that One Stream DOESN'T EQUAL One Sale.

This is why there should be a separate list for streaming and non-streaming RIAA certifications, numbers and achievements, because otherwise, it gives a misconception that an average artist like Drake has outsold greats like Michael, Prince, Elvis, Whitney, Mariah etc, when he is nowhere near their sales achievements.

MJ fans don't have to support the song if they don't have to. not everyone likes Drake. not everyone likes Michael. i don't hate Drake. but like i said until he says sorry what he did to Michael he still on my list of people who believes he guilty.

we can't not force people to like something. we all different and have different taste and opinions. that's what makes each MJ fan unique.

I didn't know they reboot it. i always thought Degrassi: The Next Generation was the original. thanks for the history and facts. Drake played the boy in the wheelchair. i was never a fan of the show. it wasn't my thing.

I mean what does drake have to gain from this if he wasnt a fan? Mainstream media still views Mj as "controvertial" at best. Any positivity or influence right now we should take/support. Im not really a fan but hes obviously big where im from.

Robbsaber01;4285812 said:
I mean what does drake have to gain from this if he wasnt a fan? Mainstream media still views Mj as "controvertial" at best. Any positivity or influence right now we should take/support. Im not really a fan but hes obviously big where im from.

I agree. Drake did not HAVE to do a song as a tribute to Michael in order to sell or be successful. He is already successful. The fact that he did this tribute to Michael is nothing but POSITIVITY. I have never heard Drake say anything bad about MJ. Hopefully Fans don’t turn this into something negative. Either support and enjoy the song or just ignore it. No one is telling you that you have to like Drake, but at least stop whining about something that is actually causing new fans to discover and enjoy Michael. The bottomline is Drake did this song because he is a fan of Michael and respects him and his legacy.

Why comment on everything? Just saying..

Because i can. and rules here is that we comment on anything want as long we not hurting anyone. we all have opinions. though it really bothers me when fans force things. we have rights to have free speech.

if you guys like this fine. do not respond to me. about this anymore unless i want to.

I'm gonna leave this thread like i said. i will not respond only if it something important or inform. i'm letting this go and moving on.

Wasnt meant as a comparison. Just to show Drake isn't some one hit wonder. Biggest star at the moment.

And I wasn't comparing sales with streams. This was about money made, which is a fairer comparison. But of course there's been inflation etc. Etc.

it's not really, even if adjusted for inflation due to many other socio economic factors that affect everything we do including music consumption. simply put, it's not a level playing field comparing 2020 to 1990 or 1960 etc. it's just not.

I don't like Drakes music. - not even DMTM... if it wasn't for MJ's vocals I would never hear it at all...

BUT - one can not deny facts. Drake is HUGE right now. So for him to release a tribute song to MJ can only be a positive thing IMO.

If he signals that he still respects and likes MJ - maybe his young fans will do so too...

Drake confirmed on Instagram the song was originally written for the Moonwalk. Toosie made a separate dance for it, and Drake named it the Toosie Slide as a result.

Drake also watched 'Thriller' on Instagram and thus the song was born - https://twitter.com/DrizzySource/status/1222136174271172608?s=20

The song is essentially a MJ dance tribute song.

I don't like Drakes music. - not even DMTM... if it wasn't for MJ's vocals I would never hear it at all...

BUT - one can not deny facts. Drake is HUGE right now. So for him to release a tribute song to MJ can only be a positive thing IMO.

If he signals that he still respects and likes MJ - maybe his young fans will do so too...

Drake has used Instagram's 'stories' feature to promote several pieces of Michael Jackson content, including the Thriller LP and the short film.

Drake is a very big star today and he just make song where he positively mentions Michael and millions of young people hear that. Whats wrong with you guys? Why you hate him so much? Because he changed setlist for new part of his tour in 2019? XD
We should be happy that such big names in today music industry love MJ. Especially after last year mass media hysteria.

free speech

we have rights to have free speech.
There's no such thing as free speech. The only thing free speech means is that the US government is not supposed censor what people say. But a private business or organization can censor anything they want. That's why you can't have profanity on regular broadcast television or on regular free radio stations. The FCC is involved with censoring that. Live programs like award shows usually have a slight delay so they can catch what people say and bleep it out. On this site and others, mods can delete comments if they don't follow the rules or they can ban posters. Les Moonves was able to get Janet Jackson blacklisted after the Superbowl thing and the Dixie Chicks got banned from country radio stations after the Dubya comments.

Back