Drake featuring Michael Jackson (TONIGHT)

Re: breaks

There's only a small percentage veteran artists who are really rich like a Paul McCartney. Paul & Ringo don't have to perform or release music ever again, they do because they like performing. Their newer records don't sell much anyway, so it's not like they're making a lot of money from putting out new music. They might be losing money. Some made a lot of money in other ways like Dr. Dre got most of his money from his Beats headphones, not his record sales. The Fresh Prince did from acting, he rarely does music anymore. Many veterans constantly perform, even if they have no record deal. They can't afford to just retire. Like Chubby Checker is still doing The Twist in 2018, which originally came out in 1960.

I would aim to say that the music industry, at one point, will never sell another album. People stream and don't really buy music anymore. Some people don't even have a CD player.

Who's to say that Ariana Grande is any different than Paul McCartney? Sure, they're in different age groups and different genres, but Ariana seems to like performing and making music. So does Paul.

If artists are losing money, it's because of the new medium, which is streaming and hasn't really caught up to the way music used to be collected and purchased. The music industry is in turmoil now, and Michael Jackson would also lose money if he were still alive and releasing new music. Invincible didn't sell well, and part of that was because of Sony, but it was also because of illegal downloading.

Last edited:
Re: breaks

I would aim to say that the music industry, at one point, will never sell another album. People stream and don't really buy music anymore. Some people don't even have a CD player.

Who's to say that Ariana Grande is any different than Paul McCartney? Sure, they're in different age groups and different genres, but Ariana seems to like performing and making music. So does Paul.

If artists are losing money, it's because of the new medium, which is streaming and hasn't really caught up to the way music used to be collected and purchased. The music industry is in turmoil now, and Michael Jackson would also lose money if he were still alive and releasing new music. Invincible didn't sell well, and part of that was because of Sony, but it was also because of illegal downloading.
In a way, the record industry brought about their own demise. First they killed the physical single in the 1990s. They replaced 45s with cassette singles, then CD singles, before doing away with it altogether. They were trying to force people to buy entire albums. Younger buyers are less likely to be able to afford to buy an album, but a 45 didn't cost much money. Other people might only want the song on the radio, and not the album. Labels also made CDs cost more than records & cassettes before them, and CDs were cheaper and faster to make. The average record/tape was $6 to $8 (US) depending where you bought it. An album in the CD era was $14 to $20. That is part of the reason when the internet later came about Napster was created, people couldn't afford or didn't want to spend money on an album where they might only want 1 or 2 songs, and there was no singles to buy anymore.

Then the labels & acts like Metallica sued Napster to try to shut it down and also people who were file sharing, instead of coming up with a way to work with it. Like they could have bought Napster and similar sites or partnered with it, or come up with their own version. Suing file sharers (like college students & teens) probably backfired on the industry, more so than suing Napster. It was bad publicity, labels making billions of dollars and rich rock stars suing their customers/fans. This likely made the audience not want to buy their products even more. Once it was out there and people knew how to get music for free, the industry couldn't do anything about it. It also made music less important to younger generations, and there is a lot more competition for entertainment in the modern era. Today video games sell more than albums, and people get excited for new versions of series like Call Of Duty, Madden Football, & Grand Theft Auto.

Radio (in the US) is more segregated now than it was in the 1970s thru 1990s, so that doesn't help modern acts to have huge sales. Adele is one of the few, and she was helped by her CDs being sold in places that don't normally sell music like drug stores. It was there where people can see it, especially since there are fewer record stores and Best Buy has said they are going to stop selling CDs. Not everybody has credit cards
(especially kids & teens) or a computer/internet to buy things online, and many older people don't know how to use computers. Others don't trust online shopping and only shop in stores. The technology a lot of people use today for music don't require a CD/record/tape. People decades ago had a stereo or boombox.

The music industry is doing just fine, we buy into the 'struggle' way too much and too often.. It has evolved and there was a hard time but there are more world known and successful artists now than ever. While music sales are not what it used to, there are many more streams of revenue.. various music download and streaming services that bring in money, tour prices have doubled/tripled, video stream sites like youtube..

basically physical sales went down but the industry found various different ways to make up for the money lost.. physical sales - yes they are basically dead.. but the industry is much more than just that. sales don't mean anything really now days, they don't even really brag about sales unless it's a crazy number like Adele hits.

That's true. Ariana Grande puts out a new album every 2 years. Same thing with most artists.

The older artists, like Peter Gabriel or Paul McCartney, can afford to take breaks...because they have music that they are known for. I honestly couldn't name a single Drake song other than the one with Michael Jackson. I know who he is, but he's only known to kids for the most part. He doesn't have the worldwide appeal of Michael Jackson (and, because of that, he is probably going to become more well known because of his MJ song.)

You're showing your age with this comment :D

Drake has had hit after hit for almost 10 years now. Not little urban hits, but big pop crossover stuff, too.

I mean, i get it. As people get older, they don't care about newer people as much, but yeah. Drake was big even before sampling an MJ song...

And older artists could take longer breaks because back then is when musicians really made a lot of money, not like today.

You're showing your age with this comment :D

Drake has had hit after hit for almost 10 years now. Not little urban hits, but big pop crossover stuff, too.

I mean, i get it. As people get older, they don't care about newer people as much, but yeah. Drake was big even before sampling an MJ song...

And older artists could take longer breaks because back then is when musicians really made a lot of money, not like today.

How is it, then, that I know who Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Ellie Goulding, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Childish Gambino are...and I like their albums (and am a wild fan) or at least some of their songs?

Drake has never come up on my radar. I've heard the name, but like other artists, like Chris Brown, I just never was interested.

And you couldn't be more wrong. I am always looking for new artists to discover. The problem is that I don't really like hip hop, for the most part, and so I avoid artists that make mostly that type of music. I like pop, R&B, and rock.

*shrugs* I dunno know why some things go over your head.
And Drake sings and raps. His music isn't just on rap stations.

I find it odd that you can be aware of all those artists, but can't think of one Drake song. I promise that you've heard his music..

Shame they didn't make a product with artist integrity instead of a making a product looking for a throwaway hit

I would have loved it if Childish Gambino had featured Michael instead of Drake personally

You'd be fine with Donald Glover sampling an MJ song, but not Drake? hmm

ShipOfFools;4226245 said:
How is it, then, that I know who Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Ellie Goulding, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Childish Gambino are...and I like their albums (and am a wild fan) or at least some of their songs?

Drake has never come up on my radar. I've heard the name, but like other artists, like Chris Brown, I just never was interested.

And you couldn't be more wrong. I am always looking for new artists to discover. The problem is that I don't really like hip hop, for the most part, and so I avoid artists that make mostly that type of music. I like pop, R&B, and rock.

I’m on the same boat as you. I’ve heard and like some/many songs from artists like Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Ariana Grande, Carly Rae Jensen etc. But I had never heard a Drake song prior to DMTM and after listening to his boring vocals, I’ve no desire to go and discover the rest of his discography.

Nite Line;4226248 said:
I’m on the same boat as you. I’ve heard and like some/many songs from artists like Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Ariana Grande, Carly Rae Jensen etc. But I had never heard a Drake song prior to DMTM and after listening to his boring vocals, I’ve no desire to go and discover the rest of his discography.

This song is not a good representation of drake tho...

You'd be fine with Donald Glover sampling an MJ song, but not Drake? hmm

Firstly triggered ;)
Right anyway, to answer the question yeah somewhat, if it was a choice. I'd much rather have the demo and current artists sample released material but it was nice to hear something new I guess.
I don't want stop other people having enjoyment out of the song, if you like it then great I'm glad people who find enjoyment out of it. It's all opinions at the end of the day
Same goes for anyone who loves Don't Walk Away, but that's a topic for another day...

We can debate about how popular drake is until we are blue in the face. The fact is his album is doing great. For a 22 track album to have every track in the top 100, the album as a whole reaching number one, the best second week sales within the past 2 years of any other album, the album has reached the third highest streaming week for an album, and the biggest deal right now is him beating the Beatles with 7 of the top 10 songs on the chart.. the highest number of top 10 songs (simultaneously) in history.

Let's not forget that naturally because of the type of music we MJ fans enjoy and also the general age group alot of us our in. Drake has not penetrated that market 100%, but he has a huge fallowing.

hip hop

Childish Gambino is a rapper though. Hip hop has replaced rock as the biggest genre in the USA, and some of those acts you named have done songs with rappers like Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Ariana Grande, & Ed Sheeran. Uptown Funk & 24K Magic sort of has Nelly style singsong rapping. Madonna did songs with Tupac & Nicki Minaj. Paul McCartney was on a song with Kanye West & Rihanna and Paul has also said he liked The Grey Album by Danger Mouse. Mick Jagger performed with will.i.am. Bob Dylan has done part of LL Cool J's Mama Said Knock You Out and was on another song with early rapper Kurtis Blow.

I just listened this. Is that supposed to be Michael during the chorus?

Edit: Apparently the one I found on Youtube doesn't sound right. I just listened the song on Spotify and it sounds better.

Last edited:
We can debate about how popular drake is until we are blue in the face. The fact is his album is doing great. For a 22 track album to have every track in the top 100, the album as a whole reaching number one, the best second week sales within the past 2 years of any other album, the album has reached the third highest streaming week for an album, and the biggest deal right now is him beating the Beatles with 7 of the top 10 songs on the chart.. the highest number of top 10 songs (simultaneously) in history.

Let's not forget that naturally because of the type of music we MJ fans enjoy and also the general age group alot of us our in. Drake has not penetrated that market 100%, but he has a huge fallowing.

The fact some people on this board have not heard of Drake, or do not acknowledge his success is kinda irrelevant.
As you said, the proof of Drake's status is in the charts all over the world. He IS one of the biggest global artists today, and he has been for quite some time. Somebody once said he was the Michael Jackson of streaming and when you check out his stats you can see why - his streaming power is collosal. Nobody else comes close. Personally I don't understand the attraction but that's not relevant either.

The one thing I always object to very strongly is people trying to compare Drakes chart achievements to that of MJ. Quite simply it's nonsensical to do so. The musical landscape MJ operated in was just far too different to that of today in the way music was released, consumed, and promoted.
I keep reading about artists like Drake matching or breaking MJ's records but they cannot be compared no matter how much people try. It makes a good headline that serves Drake well by comparing him to the KoP but it's meaningless, though sadly chart companies ARE recording these meaningless comparisons officially.

Somebody previously said that the charts don't mean anything any more but that's not true either. The charts DO mean something now, just not the same thing that they meant 20 or 30 years ago (which is why you cannot compare Drake's chart achievements to MJ's).

It was a folly for charts companies to try to make their comprehensive 'sales' charts more relevant by equating a defined number of streams as being equivalent to one sale. That was never true in the past and it never will be true. I don't care how many times a person (or group of people) stream a song, it will never equate to a sale. I stream songs all the time that I would never consider buying and I'm sure it's the same for others too. We've had different charts for many years and in the past a comprehensive chart was simple to produce - you can equate one vinyl sale to one CD sale. That worked perfectly.
But the charts companies should have left the sales and streaming charts separated and as the streaming chart gains more prevalence over the sales chart then so be it.

*shrugs* I dunno know why some things go over your head.
And Drake sings and raps. His music isn't just on rap stations.

I find it odd that you can be aware of all those artists, but can't think of one Drake song. I promise that you've heard his music..

Maybe I have heard it. There are a lot of musicians that I don't know who they are, but I know their songs.

I'll check out some of Drake's music on Spotify tonight. Who knows, I might discover a new favorite artist.

The fact some people on this board have not heard of Drake, or do not acknowledge his success is kinda irrelevant.
As you said, the proof of Drake's status is in the charts all over the world. He IS one of the biggest global artists today, and he has been for quite some time. Somebody once said he was the Michael Jackson of streaming and when you check out his stats you can see why - his streaming power is collosal. Nobody else comes close. Personally I don't understand the attraction but that's not relevant either.

Yeah but by today's standards. Those achievements are significantly diminished to comparable ones 25 years ago. And the artists getting all this global success aren't guaranteed genuine fame anymore.

I reckon, if you walk down the high street of the towns and cities of the UK you'll not get a lot of people being able to name Drake from his music or pick his photo out of a line up other than obviously the younger generation. Drake may have had more hits than the Beatles or whatever nonsense but it genuinely does not mean that much to me in this age of streaming.

And you can add me to the list, I don't know any of his music other than the Michael one. I'm 34.

And disclaimer, this isn't a diss on Drake.

I lost track of this thread when my membership account was deleted here. But in case this hasn't been said already, various TV channels are showing the Don't Matter To Me music video from Tuesday. It's even in the TV guide when to catch it.

Thanks for this. May I ask, what country are you referring to?

Thanks for this. May I ask, what country are you referring to?

Sky channel 361 in the UK. 1055 on Tuesday morning for what looks to be their first airing. I'm assuming it'll be online on Tuesday too though.

https://www.sky.com/tv-guide/20180724/4101-1/361

Judging by streams at the moment, In My Feelings could be number one until October. But here in the UK the chart rules will prevent that from happening. The UK hasn't had one million streams per day since Ed Sheeran. So easily biggest selling single of the year. Sadly, that means DMTM is unlikely to be number one, but it will probably climb the chart with a video.

Last edited:
I lost track of this thread when my membership account was deleted here. But in case this hasn't been said already, various TV channels are showing the Don't Matter To Me music video from Tuesday. It's even in the TV guide when to catch it.

Thanks for that.
Well let's see what they give us then

The song have good vibe , but for me Michael voice just don't fit in to this song .

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">UK Top 100 Singles<br><br>#05 Don't Matter To Me - Drake ft Michael Jackson <br><br>UK Top 100 Artist Albums<br><br>#54 Number Ones - Michael Jackson</p>&mdash; The Best of Internet (@TheBestofMJJ) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheBestofMJJ/status/1020417192658169856?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">20. Juli 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Irish Top 100 Singles<br><br>#04 Don't Matter To Me - Drake ft Michael Jackson <br><br>Irish Top 100 Artist Albums<br><br>#35 Number Ones - Michael Jackson</p>&mdash; The Best of Internet (@TheBestofMJJ) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheBestofMJJ/status/1020415986044932096?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">20. Juli 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Australia Single Chart<br><br>#7 Don't Matter To Me Drake Feat. Michael Jackson</p>&mdash; The Best of Internet (@TheBestofMJJ) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheBestofMJJ/status/1020635177255604224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">21. Juli 2018</a></blockquote>

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there's no official video coming for this [yet anyway].

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmc...-to-chart-this-many-top-10-hits/#52223a3b6de6

960x0.jpg

Michael Jackson Is Just The Fifth Musician To Chart This Many Top 10 Hits

Much of the conversation last week when in regards to the charts revolved around Drake and the many, many chart records he matched (or broke), but he wasn&#8217;t the only superstar who managed to rise the ranks and make history in the process.
The late, great Michael Jackson also appeared on the Hot 100 singles ranking for the first time in years, scoring another posthumous chart hit as a featured guest on Drake&#8217;s &#8220;Don&#8217;t Matter to Me,&#8221; which is featured on the rapper&#8217;s new No. 1 album Scorpion. The single, which uses previously unreleased vocals from the legendary musician, debuted at No. 9, and it was one of four songs from the lengthy project to kick off inside the top 10.
With another certified smash to his credit, Jackson collected his thirtieth top 10 in the U.S., which is a total only a handful of artists have ever reached. According to Billboard, Jackson is now just the fifth musician in history to appear inside the uppermost area on the tally with at least 30 different tunes, and he&#8217;s in the company of some of the most successful acts of all time (as if he couldn&#8217;t already be classified as such).
The other four artists who have sent 30 (or more) songs into the Hot 100&#8217;s top 10 include Drake (31), Rihanna (also 31), the Beatles (34) and Madonna (38), who remains in first place among all artists. "Don't Matter to Me" helped both Drake and Jackson reach this important milestone, though it also pushed the former ahead of the latter, and now Drake claims the title of the solo male musician with the most top 10s.
Impressively, &#8220;Don&#8217;t Matter to Me&#8221; is Jackson&#8217;s first top 10 as a featured artist, as he served as a lead artist on his 29 other titles, though he is credited as one of two leaders on a few smashes. It&#8217;s also worth mentioning that Jackson&#8217;s 30 top 10 hits doesn&#8217;t take into account the top 10*singles he collected as a member of the Jackson 5, as this*list looks*only at his solo achievements.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there's no official video coming for this [yet anyway].

Why not tell us more? KISS haven't removed it from their TV listings. Still showing as playing throughout the day tomorrow.

Damn In My Feelings doesn't need a video, it's like One Dance which was massively successful. Hopefully they've not dropped DMTM in favour of IMF, but in a way, it would make sense. I am looking forward to tomorrow if there is a video. I can't imagine it having any montage of Michael's videos or any impersonator. Probably will just be Drake and similar to the rest. Please please be a music video tomorrow.

Edit: No video on YouTube yet. Does it premier on TV first? I don't know. Hopefully it's not one of those 'One More Chance' montages which they broadcast between 2003-2010 (Can't remember what year it was released but anyone who watched British music channels would remember. They even played the 'Cheater' video for some bizzare reason..

Last edited:
Back