Do you want live vocals or playback?

Frankyboy5

Proud Member
Go Flying stated that MJ's live vocals were recorded, even if playback was intended for the audience. We can clearly hear this in the leaked snippet of Bad that MJ was singing live, but it is most likely that the audience heard playback during the concert.

The question for you all is would you want to hear MJ's live vocals or would you rather hear playback?

For Live:
*It's live of course, why should we hear playback? I know a large number of fans want live!

For Playback:
*Because the song Bad performed in Yokohama is also going to be part of the DVD, having live vocals in Wembley sorta "kills" the point of having this!
*It's what MJ INTENDED. This is sort of an issue of ethics where it is against MJ's will that we hear his live voice, his "imperfections". He lipsynced so that the sound could be more "perfect".

At the same time I do not want the editors of the audio to mute out sections that are unwanted. Some of us want to hear the entire sound feed but likely that won't be happening. :(

Multitrack and 5.1 are different, we'll probably have a main vocal channel with drum therefore we can't make instrumentals normally. If it was a multitrack then we could probably hear more stuff rather than what they have downmixed. into 5.1

It's only 3 songs he would use playback for...so...i don't really care.

he posted a few years ago about it on this forum, but with the revisions and stuff done to this forum I'm not sure if I can find the post.

If you listen to the Bad snippet, he's singing a verse that's supposed to be playback.

he posted a few years ago about it on this forum, but with the revisions and stuff done to this forum I'm not sure if I can find the post.

If you listen to the Bad snippet, he's singing a verse that's supposed to be playback.

Its a shame we wouldn't be able to find this post of him saying that. I have heard the Bad snippet and am still unsure as to whether i believe he sang all three songs (bad, smooth criminal and man in the mirror) totally live. Possibly bad, but i dont know about the other two. Would be awesome if it is indeed true though!

Go Flying, if you read this could you please confirm whether or not the DVD and CD will have MJ singing live on all songs??

It's Michael singing either way...so it really doesn't matter...his voice is perfection in any form!

If MJ new the audience was going to be listening to playback, my guess is his vocals wouldn't be that great. He might not be singing the complete lyrics or maybe mumbling some words. So if the audience heard playback, I think that's what we should hear also.

gif-animado-gato-lixando-a-unha1.gif
:fear:

Given the choice, I would definitely pick live over playback, unless the live version sounds bad or is incomplete.

Live! That's not even a question, it's gotta be live. If you're not gonna make the sound completely Live vocals, then at least make it a special feature somewhere. I've always wanted to hear songs like Smooth Criminal and Man in the Mirror with truly live vocals.

of course live!

But, if what GoFlying said it's true, then I dare say those vocals are not releasable.
So I hope he's wrong :D

LIVE.

prerecorded vocals is the reason that the HIStory concerts are boring to watch and a live CD impossible.

Live, ofc. Love when Michael starts singing live e.g. BAD (until the end of the song). : DDD

Our natural choice are live vocals. There's no doubt that we all want to hear MJ's live voice instead pre recorded one. If the snippet that was shared is really taken from July 16th, then I think that it must be recorded on multitracks and that's what I'd love to hear on the DVD to get the best experience of this special show.

But I would rather be carefull with stating that Smooth Criminal and Man In The Mirror vocals were also live. In the first case, too much dance routine... We all know that it'd be hard even for MJ to keep the performance on the highest level while singing live. In the second one, MITM was closing song. 2 hours of singing, dancing, jumping and whatever MJ did. As he was a perfectionist, I don't think he would sing it live. There are some shows in which Mike sung Bad live when the rest (including TWYMMF) were played from the tape. I'll be very happy if just those Bad live vocals are included :)

And what about the TWYMMF vocals from July 15? Anyone any ideas if they could be live? I hope so! :)

I really don't care either way.

OFC playback. Who on Earth would want live vocals? Ewww...

Live but I don't mind playback either way its MICHAEL JACKSON singing :)

Go Flying's comments were posted again in the Bad 25: Announcement We've All been Waiting For Thread but I'm not sure which page it was around June

Live! One of the reasons the Bad Tour was so much better than History is because it was almost all live.

For whatever reason - probably chronic throat problems - Mike barely sang live on the History tour, and for that reason it lacked the energy and brilliance that made the Triumph, Victory, Bad and the Dangerous (less so) tours so good.

Plus I would love to hear Mike sing Man In The Mirror live from start to finish.

Live! One of the reasons the Bad Tour was so much better than History is because it was almost all live.

For whatever reason - probably chronic throat problems - Mike barely sang live on the History tour, and for that reason it lacked the energy and brilliance that made the Triumph, Victory, Bad and the Dangerous (less so) tours so good.

Plus I would love to hear Mike sing Man In The Mirror live from start to finish.

Agreed!

Can it be confirmed that go flying actually said this?

I sended message to Go Flying and he said: "Whenever and whatever Mike was singing, his vocals were recorded."

I personally would like to hear live singing but most likely it will be like audience heard it. Its not that big deal.

Last edited:
Well, it wouldn't be good if he sung live and it wasn't complete. Like BOTDF from Munich 1997 was playback except the chorus where he sounded weak (that's another story but it just proves that the mic is recording all the time and he only sang chorus).

Depends. If he sounds rushed and out of breath, I wouldn't mind overdubs. But if he was giving his all and pushing out some powerful vocals (and this was the Bad tour; he always did) then I prefer live.

Depends. If he sounds rushed and out of breath, I wouldn't mind overdubs. But if he was giving his all and pushing out some powerful vocals (and this was the Bad tour; he always did) then I prefer live.
Agree.

This.

Back