Disney+ and Captain EO?

As much as I’d love Captain EO in 4K, the backlash would be severe. It’ll never happen.

Because he's an alleged child sexual abuser.

Sorry don't mean to sound so blunt but this is the only reason, it's not that he's hated, these allegations continue to hang over his name like dark clouds and forever will 😪
The media literally hates MJ more than Hitler and have spent half a century trying desperately to lynch him every single day, it's abnormal the way he was treated. And denying the clear agenda they have against him is delusional.

The media literally hates MJ more than Hitler and have spent half a century trying desperately to lynch him every single day, it's abnormal the way he was treated. And denying the clear agenda they have against him is delusional.
Exactly, Michael is loved from the ground up, its testament to his talent that the lynching never cancelled him, the general public know he is innocent

Exactly, Michael is loved from the ground up, its testament to his talent that the lynching never cancelled him, the general public know he is innocent
Michael is probably the strongest willed figure ever, how he dealt with all of that shit for his entire life is unfathomable

When you're the biggest star in the world there's always gonna be people trying to bring them down.

Unfortunately for Michael, his larger than life persona, mysterious and sometimes odd behaviour made him an easy target for the media.

Throw in the abuse allegations and it's like an atomic bomb that's gone off. It completely changed his life and reputation.

Any big business would not want to be associated with someone with that past sadly.

The narrative that Michael is the most loved person in the world doesn't sit with me.

After all the shit he went through, it's impossible to claim that.

Certainly not. With Stark Raving Dad still banned and some Simpsons staff talking BS that MJ did it for nefarious reasons (well, that anonymous participation would be a very elaborate way of going about it), I can't see EO happening. Not for a very long time at least.

One big thing about Captain Eo compared to Stark Raving Dad. I can see Stark Raving Dad being put to Disney+ before Captain Eo purely based on the fact that it is a TV program, made specifically for TV broadcast and it has been broadcast on TV.

Captain Eo is a Disney Parks ride. It was created specifically for Disney parks and a theatre was built to facilitate the 4D special effects. It was filmed for the 1980's 3D screens and to be viewed using the 3D glasses.

Disney are not going to put a parks ride film on Disney+.

Smh Michael did nothing to be deserved to be treated like this. He shot so many things on film yet we still have potato quality footage except beat it & thriller. Smh I don't expect to see any 4k things from Michael while I'm still living. This is really ridiculous 🙄

The narrative that Michael is the most loved person in the world doesn't sit with me.

After all the shit he went through, it's impossible to claim that.
It's a fact that he is, the media has literally spent billions of dollars against him trying everything possible to destroy his legacy for half a century. And it's had zero impact. Nobody outside of the United States and UK gives a shit about the false allegations or even knows about them.

It's a fact that he is, the media has literally spent billions of dollars against him trying everything possible to destroy his legacy for half a century. And it's had zero impact. Nobody outside of the United States and UK gives a shit about the false allegations or even knows about them.
This is what I find most frustrating with some MJ fans, there is no balanced approach, it's MJ against the world mindset where he could do no wrong.

Michael still has millions of fans who love him dearly but it's 2024, times have changed and some of the public do not like him and absolutely believe he is an abuser.

The fact that you've said nobody outside of the UK and US care or even know about the allegations is utterly bizarre.

If MJ is so loved and nobody cares, how come his history statue was removed in The Netherlands? Why did I see so many hate comments directed towards him on social media in different languages.

Every 3rd or 4th comment on a youtube video mentions the word paedo. This is not media but public comments.

MJ was found not guilty on a court of law and those latest accusers cases were dismissed. There is no legal precedent to consider MJ anything, even in 2024.

Really, how many more times are we going to have this song and dance. They play MJ music every day, his music is streamed every day. Videos about him go viral every day. The stance of the Disney corporation means literally nothing.

The least we can do is wait and see what happens post biopic before we decide once and for all that MJ is canceled.

This is what I find most frustrating with some MJ fans, there is no balanced approach, it's MJ against the world mindset where he could do no wrong.

Michael still has millions of fans who love him dearly but it's 2024, times have changed and some of the public do not like him and absolutely believe he is an abuser.

The fact that you've said nobody outside of the UK and US care or even know about the allegations is utterly bizarre.

If MJ is so loved and nobody cares, how come his history statue was removed in The Netherlands? Why did I see so many hate comments directed towards him on social media in different languages.

Every 3rd or 4th comment on a youtube video mentions the word paedo. This is not media but public comments.
We need a downvote button for these fans who make stupid posts attacking Michael.

We need a downvote button for these fans who make stupid posts attacking Michael.
If you're referring to me, where exactly am I attacking Michael? 😕

You made a silly comment that nobody outside of the UK or USA care about the allegations which is completely false.

When you're the biggest star in the world there's always gonna be people trying to bring them down.

Unfortunately for Michael, his larger than life persona, mysterious and sometimes odd behaviour made him an easy target for the media.

Throw in the abuse allegations and it's like an atomic bomb that's gone off. It completely changed his life and reputation.

Any big business would not want to be associated with someone with that past sadly.
Funko, Lionsgate, Broadway, Sony and Vegas beg to differ

Sure, MJ had and still have his fair share of haters. And most of these topics are the three key ones: skin color, surgeries, accusations.
But seeing the olympics and how they were performing with his songs and the people were hyped, gave me some good vibes.
It's hard to explain but with all these Captain EO easter eggs in the Skeleton Crew and seeing the VA of the new Spiderman Show wearing a Captain EO shirt gives me some good hope that MJ isn't blacklisted (anymore) as assumed. And other stuff like Funko etc had been mentioned already.

Am I hoping now from them to release some version of Captain EO or something? Of course not! The ride closed in the 90s and re opened in 09 when he passed away and got closed again in 2015. Way before LN and these accusations.

Smh Michael did nothing to be deserved to be treated like this. He shot so many things on film yet we still have potato quality footage except beat it & thriller. Smh I don't expect to see any 4k things from Michael while I'm still living. This is really ridiculous 🙄
I'm glad we have Moonwalker on Blu-Ray.

Funko, Lionsgate, Broadway, Sony and Vegas beg to differ
Also the fucking Olympics which was just a entire celebration basically of Michael's music, and Netflix which aired the We are the World video, or all of these talking heads that can't go a second without comparing artists to Michael Jackson. Nobody wants to see negative PR about MJ anymore, it always fails. What makes money is celebrating him.

Oh and the reason you don't hear his music in video games or television shows is solely because his estate is greedy as fuck and people aren't willing to fork over a king's ransom to get the music rights (See GTA when Sony held up Rockstar over Billie Jean / WBSS and got them to pull the game everywhere until his music was pulled. )

One big thing about Captain Eo compared to Stark Raving Dad. I can see Stark Raving Dad being put to Disney+ before Captain Eo purely based on the fact that it is a TV program, made specifically for TV broadcast and it has been broadcast on TV.

Captain Eo is a Disney Parks ride. It was created specifically for Disney parks and a theatre was built to facilitate the 4D special effects. It was filmed for the 1980's 3D screens and to be viewed using the 3D glasses.

Disney are not going to put a parks ride film on Disney+.

It's a standalone short film directed by Francis Ford Coppola. With films created as part of Disney attractions there are often interactions with in-theatre effects, or the audience themselves, which would render these things inexplicable if viewed outside of their original exhibition. However Captain EO has none of that. It looks to me like no decision was ever made in the actual production of the film with consideration that it was becoming a Disney attraction. All of the in-theatre effects at Epcot were merely there to enhance immersion in the film post-production, the smoke effects or seat movement - none of which are integral to the film itself. Indeed when Captain EO returned to Disney Parks after Michael's death, most - if not all - of these in-theatre effects did not feature as they once had.

The only thing that was obviously considered during production was that the film would be shown in 3D thus we have the long shot of the tumbling asteroid, fuzzball 'flying out' of the screen, the long spears, the witch's fingernails etc.

That argument aside, Disney do have previous for bringing A/V elements of Disney attractions to home media. An example of which would be the vinyl record sold in the Haunted Mansion store which plays the entire ride audio including things like the ride narration - "don't pull down on the bar restraints, we will lower this for you...".

Also, like the Simpsons, Captain EO has been broadcast on TV. MTV aired it in the 90s. I assume that's the source for the one we've lived with in our collections all these years.

There are reasons Disney+ wouldn't take this film to streaming, but that it was once a Disney Parks attraction is simply not one of them. I think the MJ Estate were involved in litigation with Disney some years ago which may have put necessary negotiations on ice, in additional there are probably complicated rights issues and indeed the post-LN climate. That and the Estate look entirely disinterested in investing in anything of this nature. If they can't sell seat tickets and make a massive profit margin in the process then they don't consider it worthwhile. So no restoration, no anniversary set on home media and certainly no streaming release of any kind. Destined to lie gathering dust locked away where no one can ever see it. Shame really for the newer generation of fans who weren't old enough to see it in person. The Michael Jackson Estate simply couldn't care less.

My annual post is over. Your regularly scheduled programming will return momentarily...

As someone who grew up loving The Simpsons the removal of the episode Stark Raving Dad was really disappointing for me. It was such a knee jerk reaction to a one sided movie (I refuse to call it a documentary because it isn't one). Simpsons producer Al Jean who was responsible for that episode being removed as said he mutes/blocks anyone who brings it up to him on social media.

What's also funny is that The Simpsons made an episode called Homer Badman where Homer is falsley accused of sexual harrasment. That episode made fun of how people and the media have knee jerk reactions to these types of thing and how the media lies and twists the truth just to get ratings. The Simpsons became the very thing they were making fun of.

Maybe just me but this short film looks so outdated and not something I enjoyed but I do hope
it will be released someday as many fans sems to like it.

Back