'Dangerous' was Michael's artistic peak

Johan

Proud Member
I just finished listening to the Dangerous album from start to finish and it has been affirmed to me again, that this is in my mind his artistic peak. The songs flow beautiful from one song into the other. It's a beautiful album with some up-tempo songs (Jam, Why You Wanna Trip On Me), R&B tunes (Remember The Time), spiritual songs (Will You Be There, Keep The Faith), a world anthem (Heal The World), a hot rock track (Give In To Me) and one of the best pop tunes (Black Or White). The lyrics to the songs are so perfect, it's art in its highest form. Listening to 'Will You Be There', it's almost as if he knew about the struggles/ordeals that would lie ahead of him:

In our darkest hour
In my deepest despair
Will you still care?
Will you be there?
In my trials
And my tripulations
Through our doubts
And frustrations
In my violence
In my turbulence
Through my fear
And my confessions
In my anguish and my pain
Through my joy and my sorrow
In the promise of another tomorrow
Ill never let you part
For youre always in my heart.

It is said Michael always wanted to top Thirller and to me, he did top Thriller, maybe not in sales, but artistically 'Dangerous' was his best album.

I agree that it may be his artistic peak in diversity. And it's been my favorite album for so many years since it got me into MJ when I was 8. But Thriller and Bad, man... That's just perfection of music.

Dangerous/History/BOTDF are the purest michael art ever. It is indeed michel's artistic peak in my opinion.

it's great but it aint no bad or off the wall.

How can you mention Bad and Off The Wall and not Thriller? That album is probably the most perfectly constructed album in the history of music. Total feel-good awesome music experience.

Just look at the Dangerous picure cover, that pretty much sums up what went on in the great mind of Michael Jackson. Artistic genious.

How can you mention Bad and Off The Wall and not Thriller? That album is probably the most perfectly constructed album in the history of music. Total feel-good awesome music experience.

easy bad and otw are better track to track and it's not close. as far as perfection goes any chance it had at that went out the window with the girl is mine. it's a great album that's full of hits but it's not his best work imo. i don't care what the media says take away beat it and billie jean and most of the songs from bad and otw are better than the rest of thriller.

I'd use those words to describe Off The Wall, which I actually prefer! Off The Wall > Thriller, IMO!

I agree, but I also believe that second disc of HIStory was also an artistic peak. HIStory is not my favorite album, but the songs on that disc are so personal, deep, angry, and sad MJ was during that point. But, Dangerous is a very close 2nd most favorite album behind Off The Wall.

Last edited:
I also love and totally agree about the Dangerous album. Especially his 2 songs Give In To Me and Who Is It. Lately I have been mostly wanting to hear Who Is It a lot. OMG do I so love the music in that song. I think that is one of the most greatest songs Michael has ever done.

Artistically and sonically, "Dangerous" is probably one of the most complex "paintings" ever (and so is the CD cover).
When you listen to this album it's hard to imagine that this album was recorded almost 20 years ago. Wow, it feels that it couldn't have been more than 10 years ago or so - Most artist today fail to make something that sounds fresh after 1 year.

I know a lot of people really love the Victory tour and Bad tour, but for me it's was the Dangerous tour that launched the monstrosity of how a concert should be like.
I mean, Michael had half the arena fainting before he even turned his head in the Jam intro :D

This album literally has everything I need.
Let me put it like this, if I had to choose one album to listen to the rest of my life then it would've been Dangerous.

It's Dangerous for me as well but I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. If another fan goes for OTW, Thriller, Bad, or HIStory, more power to them. The only indefensible choice is Invincible:no:

easy bad and otw are better track to track and it's not close. as far as perfection goes any chance it had at that went out the window with the girl is mine. it's a great album that's full of hits but it's not his best work imo. i don't care what the media says take away beat it and billie jean and most of the songs from bad and otw are better than the rest of thriller.

Totally agree without those two tracks on thriller -- dunno where would thriller be lol
OTW is a really nice album, I love disco but it's not the type that could get me hook.

Dangerous is Mike's artistic peak! it was 'Michael' from cover to songs..Michael,Michael,Michael.

with regards HIStory and BODTF i think it was too Michael -- too personal.still love the album - Dangerous - Invincible my top 4 albums throw in OTW--My top 5 ;)

I agree with BruceWayne the 'Jam' Intro is the most insane intro ever - not on Michael's side though jumping off the stage's cool but the audience reaction was like WOAH!!!

my fav is always gonna b bad apart from the fillers ( just good friends, speed demon )
this is his artistic peak i believe
almost every song written by him solely
dangerous is my second fav :)

Michael's best album artistically is either Dangerous or History in my opinon. However, I am leaning more towards Dangerous.

Bad is my favourite album though.

Dangerous is definitely my favorite MJ album, and imho, his best work. All advices that Quincy gave him are on the album, plus much more that Mike came up with by himself. Of course, Bruce Swedien did an amazing job on the sound. Needless to mention, Teddy Riley and Bill Bottrell did superb production.

My favorite track on this album (and probably one of my favorite MJ tunes) is "Give in to me".

Totally agree without those two tracks on thriller -- dunno where would thriller be lol
OTW is a really nice album, I love disco but it's not the type that could get me hook.

Dangerous is Mike's artistic peak! it was 'Michael' from cover to songs..Michael,Michael,Michael.

with regards HIStory and BODTF i think it was too Michael -- too personal.still love the album - Dangerous - Invincible my top 4 albums throw in OTW--My top 5 ;)

I agree with BruceWayne the 'Jam' Intro is the most insane intro ever - not on Michael's side though jumping off the stage's cool but the audience reaction was like WOAH!!!

what about bad?

what? a lot the songs have cowriters or were written by someone else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_(album)#Track_listing

mgm said BAD was the fave with most songs written by michael :) I agree, BAD will always have a warm spot in my heart, i love 95% of the songs. Dangerous is hot too, for the simple fact that it has Give In To Me and Who Is It. Who Is It is one of his best works to me. I adore the Thriller CD, but The Girl Is Mine should have never been the first release or any release as a single, lol. What were they thinking with THAT move?

Im so bored of people criticising one album over another. Imo, each one of Michael's albums was perfection in its own way, even Invincible. The production on Invincible is perfection. When have you ever heard such smooth sound production as 'heaven can wait' for example. The music on Invincible is light years ahead of its time. Even 'you rock my world' is total genius. That intro beat is so obvious yet so original. I really think those of you who arent keen on his later albums should really pay more attention to them. It is highly likely that his image at this stage has gotten in the way of the later music.

as far as perfection goes any chance it had at that went out the window with the girl is mine.

You're crazy!! The girl is mine is brilliant. Such a feel-good, happy, playful song and I LOVE the duet with Paul and the convo towards the end! Michael is so sweet on it! Classic track and one of my favorites on Thriller! It baffles me that many people here seem to think the track was a low point!!

I go with "Off The Wall". I was never really into New Jack Swing, so although I like the "Dangerous" album, I don't think it's his best album. I do think it's better overall than the 2 albums that came after it. To me, "Dangerous" is the last album he made without skipable tracks or filler (although I got really tired of "Heal The World" at one point, lol). But to be honest, I like The Jacksons "Destiny" & "Triumph" better than any of the solo albums, besides "Off The Wall".

I can't believe anyone can like The Jacksons more than solo Michael,,, Dangerous is the first Michael album I ever listened to and has always been my favorite by the way.

I can't believe anyone can like The Jacksons more than solo Michael,,, Dangerous is the first Michael album I ever listened to and has always been my favorite by the way.

consistently, people seem to like the Michael that they FIRST heard or the Michael from the era they were from. I'm not into much disco sounds, so the teen Jackson and Off the Wall aren't my faves, whereas my first MJ experience was BAD and it's my favorite cd still, just like you love dangerous because it was your first. They say you always remember and love your first ;)

You're crazy!! The girl is mine is brilliant. Such a feel-good, happy, playful song and I LOVE the duet with Paul and the convo towards the end! Michael is so sweet on it! Classic track and one of my favorites on Thriller! It baffles me that many people here seem to think the track was a low point!!

mj and paul even said they didn't like the way it came out. i'm not saying it's bad but it's far from brilliant. most what you said is the why the song is just ok and not great.

mgm said BAD was the fave with most songs written by michael :) I agree, BAD will always have a warm spot in my heart, i love 95% of the songs. Dangerous is hot too, for the simple fact that it has Give In To Me and Who Is It. Who Is It is one of his best works to me. I adore the Thriller CD, but The Girl Is Mine should have never been the first release or any release as a single, lol. What were they thinking with THAT move?

i feel you and agree with the last part a lot.

Back