CREATIVE renditions

i love this:

41RS2o%2B3ObL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Sting - Windmills Of Your Mind

written by Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman and Michel Legrand
original version performed by Noel Harrison (1969)

Nights In Brazil [1981]

10opg9c.jpg

Judy Roberts - I Can't Help It

best Thriller rendition, no doubt. feck, i never even liked Mike's original that much, lol.

yeah, love how he breaks it down just happy-slapping that bass.

Oh and by the by.. just watched the unplugged version of GTSoon that you posted back on page one, I don't even know how I have missed that version of it, especially since its Stevie.. The internet is big! :mello:

Also, this is wonderful, it deserves the post!

Last edited:
Incognito and a nicely arranged remake of their own classic Everyday:

61zsugwORuL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

[2006]

Original version [1995]

My favorite version of The Carpenter's classic:

images

Isaac Hayes - (They Long To Be) Close To You:

one of my favourite J5/Tempts classics,

29oo6lu.jpg

Mary J Blige - If I Don't Love You This Way

John Legend's cover of The Isley Brothers' "Hello It's Me" is better than the original.

Amel Larrieux's cover of the same song is by far better than the John Legend rendition.

I like Aretha Franklin's "Respect" better than Otis Redding's original. Then again, I've never really been into Otis.

Minnie Riperton cover of the same song is also great. I love how it was made into a duet.

^^^^^Actually that's Rotary Connection, the group Minnie was in in the late 1960s early 70s. I think the guy singer's name is Sidney Barnes, he was in the group also. The lineup tended to change from album to album. "Hello, It's Me" wasn't originally by the Isleys. Todd Rundgren did it 1st.

been addicted to this for the past few months

2qnwm52.png

Monique Kessous - Remember The Time

El DeBarge - In The Storm [1992]

El taking on his idol Marvin..

b8ocbm.jpg

Fourplay & El Debarge
After The Dance

When I think of good covers, a few come to mind:

The Byrds -"Mr Tambourine Man" (Bob Dylan)
Jimi Hendrix-"All Along the Watchtower" (Bob Dylan)
Aretha Franklin-"I Say a Little Prayer" (Dionne Warwick)
Aerosmith, MJ, etc--"Come Together" (The Beatles) Actually, I hate the Beatles version.
And while I love Marvin Gaye's take on it, I love the original just a little bit more:
"I Heard it Through the Grapevine"--Gladys Knight and the Pips

But today while I was driving I heard probably the most creative cover of a song I've ever heard, on Princeton University's radio station (they tend to play very uh, "unique" songs on there), this cover of Beyonce's "Crazy in Love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAqxRA7h0Ds

^^^^Actually, Marvin's version was recorded 1st, but Berry Gordy didn't like it so it sat in the vault, even though Motown's "quality control" liked it.

Back