CREATIVE renditions

helena22

Proud Member
They say "s/he did ( ) justice" about a good or great rendition. I heard several musicians saying it ain't easy to do a rendition esp. the original is certified classic and/or extremely popular song. They say it takes a lot of gut to do that cuz it's like, they go up to the stage and gets more strict assessment for their musicianship than when they do their own songs. And we audience do become a group of harsh critic for renditions like that, so isn't the pressure understandable?

But, not only doing the original justice that allows the performer breathe a sigh of relief, is there any renditon do you think that goes beyond that and adds its own flavor and twist, which is what I mean by "creative renditions" in the title? This doesn't mean the rendition should be better than the orignal. It can be that you think it's better or not better or can't put one above the other.

Here's my pick: All In Love Is Fair by Dionne Warwick (the original by Stevie Wonder) Watched it a few years back and was so moved.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qO_wKsx_XKs

MJ comes immediately to mind - i can think of one Beatles cover, a Bill Withers one and a Stevie one too that he pretty much owned.

Isaac Hayes also covered a lot of songs which i thought were something else (The Look Of Love, Walk On By).

some of these i actually think are better than the original but most just stand up in their own right:

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower (Bob Dylan)
Marvin Gaye - Yesterday (Beatles)
D'Angelo - Cruisin' (Smokey Robinson)
KC & JoJo - Lately (Wonder)
4Hero - Les Fleur (Minnie Riperton)

there are dozens more, and you also have many classics that were originally recorded by a weak act, and so numerous covers automatically became better.

MJ comes immediately to mind - i can think of one Beatles cover, a Bill Withers one and a Stevie one too that he pretty much owned.

Isaac Hayes also covered a lot of songs which i thought were something else (The Look Of Love, Walk On By).

some of these i actually think are better than the original but most just stand up in their own right:

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower (Bob Dylan)
Marvin Gaye - Yesterday (Beatles)
D'Angelo - Cruisin' (Smokey Robinson)
KC & JoJo - Lately (Wonder)
4Hero - Les Fleur (Minnie Riperton)

there are dozens more, and you also have many classics that were originally recorded by a weak act, and so numerous covers automatically became better.
Yep, our man Michael! I love Ain't No Sunshine. He was/is a soulman, no matter what they say.

You picked Marvin Gaye's cover of Yesterday. My personal choice is Donny Hathaway's:happy: With all due credit to the creator of the original piece, I don't think The Beatles is strong in vocal. Donny made it all soulful and I'd say...."thicker" by fattening the original up with his vocal richness, IMO. Yesterday has been convered a whole lot of times and I don't think I've heard almost all of 'em at least by famous musicians. Among all the versions that I've head so far, nothing's topped Donny's version in my book.

D'Angelo's cover of Roberta Flack's "Feel Like Makin' Love" is better than the original, I think.

John Legend's cover of The Isley Brothers' "Hello It's Me" is better than the original.

Stevie Wonder and the broadway cast of "Rent" did the best version of "Seasons Of Love" I have heard.

I like Aretha Franklin's "Respect" better than Otis Redding's original. Then again, I've never really been into Otis. I also like Aretha's "Jumping Jack Flash" better than The Rolling Stones'. Keith Richards and Ron Wood from the Stones play on her version. I like The Beatles' "Got To Get You Into My Life", but Earth Wind and Fire jazzed it up a bit.

another Beatles cover:

Stevie Wonder - We Can Work It Out

made it his own.

and a Stevie cover:

O'Bryan - You And I

arrangement's better than the original, imo.

Hey the other day I heard Babyface and Stevie teaming up to cover Michael's GONE TO SOON live. When did they do that cover? I 've never heard it. I was so happy to hear Stevie sing a Michael song, especialy since it was one of MJ's 90s works. All I know is that Babyface and Stevie worked together for the song HOW COME.

Hey the other day I heard Babyface and Stevie teaming up to cover Michael's GONE TO SOON live. When did they do that cover? I 've never heard it. I was so happy to hear Stevie sing a Michael song, especialy since it was one of MJ's 90s works. All I know is that Babyface and Stevie worked together for the song HOW COME.
I think that was from a Babyface MTV Unplugged album

Babyface & Stevie Wonder - Gone Too Soon

yes from his 1997 MTV Unplugged performance, and a great cover too.

Funny he put "How Come" at the end of that post, because the next song they did was "How Come, How Long".

I love 4Hero's version of Les Fleur, my man, you have some great taste. My favourite MJ song is "I Can't Help It" and I've come across a lot of samples and covers, I even found a Stevie Wonder version. Though some may disagree I think these two versions hold their own.

Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You" (Dolly Parton)
Whitney Houston "I'm Every Woman" (Chaka Khan)

others:
Mariah Carey "I'll Be There" (Jackson 5)
Mariah Carey "I Still Believe" (Brenda K. Starr)
MJ "Come Together" (Beatles)
Destiny's Child "Sail On" (Commodores)
Britney Spears "My Perogative" (Bobby Brown)

Last edited:
Speaking of Boyz II Men, their cover of The Isley Brother's "For The Love Of You" is really, really nice. When I want to listen to the song, I often debate which version I want to listen to. The sign of a great cover.

Speaking of Boyz II Men, their cover of The Isley Brother's "For The Love Of You" is really, really nice. When I want to listen to the song, I often debate which version I want to listen to. The sign of a great cover.
Never heard Boyz To Men's version, but Whitney Houston & Kenny G.'s version is nice and Joss Stone did a good remake also. And Aaliyah's version of the Isley's "At Your Best" is good.

some quality covers by Ms. Lauryn Hill

1zox947.jpg

Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You [Frankie Valli]

Turn The Lights Down Low [Bob Marley]

A Change Is Gonna Come (Live) [Sam Cooke]

Makings Of You (Live) [Curtis Mayfield]

yep i like their vocals and, just like Jodeci's Lately, they make you really feel it. but Isleys' and Chris Jasper's sound to this day sounds so fresh.

and cheers, Jabz. 4hero always stay respectful when covering. their I Am The Black Gold of The Sun mix is also right up there.

Last edited:
I love that mix!!!!! Oh yeah!

I also love Lauren Hill's version of "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You" The beat box at the beginning does it for me, definitely on my iPod.

Lauryn Hill has an excellent cover of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody". I really love that version, probably more than the original just because that neo-sou/r&b sound is more my flavor.

I too love Lauryn Hill's version. Can't Take My Eyes Off You has been covered by many others, but hers is the best so far. She sings like she really means the words. I wouldn't think of this cover as "creative", tho.

just found this nice cover by Minnie Riperton - Light My Fire

original version: The Doors - Light My Fire (1966)

That is now my favourite version of that song :D I must say Will Youngs version gets an honourable mention, though it sounds better live.

an obscure Rufus/Chaka cover from a young Mary J Blige. it's an inspired rendition, produced by James Mtume.

28kjxj7.jpg

MJB - Everlasting Love

heh, yeah it's the only track that doesn't fit on that wacky album, mainly because it's good, lol.

my mate just gave up that cd to me for free.

i've found my new favourite cover of one of our favourite tracks:

b55yxz.jpg

Will Downing - I Can't Help It

and one of many Roy Ayers classic vibes renditions ..

24m81on.jpg

Feel Like Makin' Love

this one's a true contender for 'creative' covers - a beautiful new Soulquarian take on a Sting classic:

fy2x6r.jpg

Randy Watson Experience - Be Still My Beating Heart [2006]

Drums ~ ?uestlove
Keyboards ~ James Poyser

Vocals, Piano ~ Nikki Jean

Mixed By ~ Steve Mandel
Inspired By ~ J Dilla

never heard the Incognito take, it's beautiful. need to keep track of their latest stuff..

that D'Angelo cover.. reason why he's up there in my most-admired artists list is because both he and Dwele release or allow to leak a lot of material that is 'just' a live jamming session.

that cover is just him on the Rhodes and most likely either ?uestlove or Karriem Riggins on the drums just jamming and feeling the music.

love the sound of the low-end of the Rhodes. a very underrated bass section...

Back