Congrats to Britney Spears for officially selling over 100 million records

billyworld99

Proud Member
Britney Spears isn’t even on the radar right now, but she still continues to sell records. Lady Gaga might be the hottest thing on the market right now, but it will be a while before she surpasses Spears.

The Recording Industry Association of America has announced that Spears has officially sold over 100 million records, making her the best selling artist of the 2000’s, according to Hollyscoop. In addition, she is the fifth overall artist to join the charts of Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, and Mariah Carey who have also sold over 100 million albums.

Spears sold more than 28 million copies of her debut album, “Baby One More Time,” and has sold over 20 million copies with her second album, “Oops!… I Did It Again.”

http://www.hollywoodnews.com/2010/07/19/britney-spears-officially-sells-over-100-million-records/

http://ksfm.radio.com/2010/07/20/britney-spears-sells-over-100-million-records/

Didn't Eminem already get some kind of "official award" by Billboard for being the best selling artist of the past decade? I know it says "2000s" as a whole but I doubt she sold more than him in the past year lol. *scratches head*

Then again, Em's was just for the United States so maybe Britney is worldwide. Or maybe she had her old sales updated, in which case, do they revoke the award they already gave to somebody else and give it to Britney?

Record sales are confusing as hell.

Didn't Eminem already get some kind of "official award" by Billboard for being the best selling artist of the past decade? I know it says "2000s" as a whole but I doubt she sold more than him in the past year lol. *scratches head*

Then again, Em's was just for the United States so maybe Britney is worldwide. Or maybe she had her old sales updated, in which case, do they revoke the award they already gave to somebody else and give it to Britney?

it probably world wide, and RIIA updated her sales

Yeah, this is worldwide. It's hard to tell because these reports usually act like USA and the world is the same thing.

Congrats to her.

Congrats, Britney. You've had it rough the past few years. Media up your ass, people trashing you left and right, not letting you be. As an MJ fan, I totally sympathize. Britney, at her darkest hour, never deserved such horrible treatment. No one does. She's a sweet girl and I'm so happy that her life and career have really turned around. Happy 100, Brit. :)

Congrats Britney!

I love her. Catchy music but most importantly, to me, she is a sweetheart and a down to Earth girl.

They sure are confusing. They say Britney's the 5th OVERALL when Tina Turner and surely Madonna have sold in excess of 100 million. And if it's just for the 2000's, I have doubts about Whitney and Mariah selling that many in the 2000's.

But much congrats to Britney anyway.

They sure are confusing. They say Britney's the 5th OVERALL when Tina Turner and surely Madonna have sold in excess of 100 million. And if it's just for the 2000's, I have doubts about Whitney and Mariah selling that many in the 2000's.

But much congrats to Britney anyway.

isn't madonna over the 200 million range, they probably talking about female artist just in the 100 million mark but idk

isn't madonna over the 200 million range, they probably talking about female artist just in the 100 million mark but idk

Madonna is well over the 200 million mark. after all, she does have the 2011 Guinness World Record for best selling female artist of all time (having sold 75 million albums in the USA, 200 million abroad, and 100 million in singles).

I think this is referring to people who are in the 100 million range. Regardless, still big congrats to Britney. It ain't easy getting those type of sales in this day and age.

Good one Britney............

I bet the Media isn't very happy about this news.............

Good on Britney. Not a fan, but her songs are reeally catchy.

SUCK ON IT MEDIA!

Amen! They try to tear her down and she keeps on going in spite of it. Reminds me of our dear Michael. And no, I am not trying to compare talent or anything else. Just saying that the media really hateful in regards to Britney.

Amen! They try to tear her down and she keeps on going in spite of it. Reminds me of our dear Michael. And no, I am not trying to compare talent or anything else. Just saying that the media really hateful in regards to Britney.

Totally agree! Congratulations to Britney for achieving this milestone!

i agree also

Unfortunately, I've checked in to this article and while it's not an impossible number (more like 75 million), there isn't a credible source to back up the claim. What tipped me off was the mentioning of Janet selling 100 million albums. Janet has barely sold half of that. Also, I noticed Madonna isn't mentioned anywhere.

From what I gather, the article is fan made and spread around gossip blogs because no major news outlet has reported this. It's not on Billboard, MTV, CNN, anywhere.

Also, RIAA has made no announcement on their website, nor do they track worldwide sales. RIAA only tracks sales in the United States.

Sorry Britney fans (and I'm one of them).

Unfortunately, I've checked in to this article and while it's not an impossible number (more like 75 million), there isn't a credible source to back up the claim. What tipped me off was the mentioning of Janet selling 100 million albums. Janet has barely sold half of that. Also, I noticed Madonna isn't mentioned anywhere.

From what I gather, the article is fan made and spread around gossip blogs because no major news outlet has reported this. It's not on Billboard, MTV, CNN, anywhere.

Also, RIAA has made no announcement on their website, nor do they track worldwide sales. RIAA only tracks sales in the United States.

aww man really? fan made, but travis, record companies count albums + singles as the actual sales so there's a good possibility of her selling over 100 million records
same with janet they add her albums and singles together to get 100 million records not albums alone

No actually, it's definitely confirmed, Britney has sold over 100 million. :)

It is? Please prove it. Don't get me wrong, I want this to be true. The problem is, I can't find an actual credible source. I'm more than happy to believe it so long as there is a reliable source. Do you have one? I hope you do.

It is? Please prove it. Don't get me wrong, I want this to be true. The problem is, I can't find an actual credible source. I'm more than happy to believe it so long as there is a reliable source. Do you have one? I hope you do.

i'll try find a credible source for you, do you know that grape juice a popular blog site also said she sold over 100 million records (not albums alone) but albums and singles
but i'm looking for a link right now

p.s. britney spears glee espisode is coming in september

Why is this on the RIAA website? And why would the RIAA say this if they only track US sales?

And why hasn't her label issued a press release stating this?

Janet has sold more than 50 million albums.:mello: And Universal say shes old over 100 million. :ermm:

Ah nevermind. I thought I saw something on RIAA but I didn't.

I'm not sure how reliable this is, but

"....a woman who has sold almost 100 million records..."

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article6386672.ece

And Wikipedia has been saying that she's sold over 100 million for years now :p

I truly hope that it is true

I think it's now safe to say that this was fan made. I'm not saying that this still couldn't be true but that there isn't any credible source to back it up.

P.S. And no, Janet is nowhere near 100 million. She has surprisingly low album sales. I'm a fan and I'm not trying to hate, just stating the facts.

Well unfortunately Janet's record label claims over 100 million albums. If you don't like it, take it up with them.

I think it's now safe to say that this was fan made. I'm not saying that this still couldn't be true but that there isn't any credible source to back it up.

P.S. And no, Janet is nowhere near 100 million. She has surprisingly low album sales. I'm a fan and I'm not trying to hate, just stating the facts.

on twitter, one of janet biggest fans that keep in touch with everything janet related said that
JANET is now at 150 MILLION sold #4 best Selling Female Artist of all Time

Back