Common sense steps to avoid Swine Flu infection

Mexico aint even on that list

Mexico was #61.

And why are there still deaths when there are vacinations for the regular human flu. If something with vacinations still kills then how could someone not be concerned about a disease that doesn't have a vacine.

You're not entirely correct.

The trouble with flu is that it changes very often and so there is no permanent vaccine for any flu at the moment - flu vaccine is manufactured every year according to the latest prevalent strains.

Tamiflu and Relenza are two anti-virul drugs that are effective against flu strains - including swine flu - by targeting an enzyme that allows the virus to spread, rather than attack the flu itself. As the virus mutates this drug may become less effective but at the moment it works and it's the best there is until a more targetted drug is available.

The UK - as did other countries - stockpiled these drugs in large quantities (the UK has enough for roughly half the population at present) when bird flu was all over the news. People in the UK who have been in contact with the 5 confirmed cases of Swine Flu have all been given Tamiflu to treat it in case they too have contracted it. The World Health Organisation has said that the UK is one of the two countries best prepared for a flu pandemic (the other is France), so unfortunately not all countries have the level of treatment that we have here.

Last edited:
God made a promise that we all gon' die
Along the ride We might as well ball and get high!

u know what i mean?
there is always somethin....

I had a heart to heart with my guinea pigs...told them "Listen up, Girlfriends...don't worry...even though you are of Latino heritage (from Peru), you didn't cause it...your not real pigs, just Guinea Pigs...remember that"

Picture985.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Chichi. It's very helpful and much appreciated. I was just wondering about this. Wow, didn't even have to do research. It's all right here!

:flowers:

Isn't the common sense steps to avoid this just to be like the Michael Jackson fan and wear the face mask like Michael Jackson does?! :) Michael is just a smart example, isn't he?

id hardly worry its a tiny monority of ppl who have this and then its treatable. more chance of getting run over 5 times by a bus.

id hardly worry its a tiny monority of ppl who have this and then its treatable. more chance of getting run over 5 times by a bus.

Well, if it goes pandemic averagely it will be EIGHT percent dying from all the people. And more than three times that will be infected. It's not any kind of a child's play really. But it might take time. It might take take 4-8 months to take control so just be prepared, not worried...

Mexico was #61.

You're not entirely correct.

The trouble with flu is that it changes very often and so there is no permanent vaccine for any flu at the moment - flu vaccine is manufactured every year according to the latest prevalent strains.

Tamiflu and Relenza are two anti-virul drugs that are effective against flu strains - including swine flu - by targeting an enzyme that allows the virus to spread, rather than attack the flu itself. As the virus mutates this drug may become less effective but at the moment it works and it's the best there is until a more targetted drug is available.

The UK - as did other countries - stockpiled these drugs in large quantities (the UK has enough for roughly half the population at present) when bird flu was all over the news. People in the UK who have been in contact with the 5 confirmed cases of Swine Flu have all been given Tamiflu to treat it in case they too have contracted it. The World Health Organisation has said that the UK is one of the two countries best prepared for a flu pandemic (the other is France), so unfortunately not all countries have the level of treatment that we have here.

True. Tamiflu (Oseltamivir) and Relenza (Zanamivir) are effective against the Swine Flu. At least at the moment. People should just be careful, but there's no need to panic or go crazy. What people forget is that, you should use common sense AND wash your hands regulary ALL the time...not just when they report about an outbreak in the news. You can catch something at ALL times. That's something what most people unfortunately forget most of the times. There are still people out there with Tuberculosis, etc. etc. that you can get too. A lot of kids aren't vaccinated these days, and there are still diseases that exist in areas where vaccinations aren't as common as in other places. So all you need is one person from those areas who is sick and a couple of kids who didn't get their shots and voila....you have an outbreak here among the kids who aren't protected. What comes to the Influenza outbreaks....we have kids with Influenza at our wards every year. And by now all of them have gotten better. I get my Influenza shot every year, so that I'm protected and it seems to work well because I haven't gotten sick once. I mean, you can still get a Common Cold even if you got a flu shot, but you don't get the real Influenza. Anyways, like I said...there are drugs that are effective against the Swine Flu, but if you're feeling sick you should of course let a doctor check you out.

It's okay to be worried and watch the situation, but there's no need to panic.

Thanks for posting the information, and lets hope we all stay safe. Hopefully this will be under controll before the concerts start. Bet nobody will be making fun of Michael's masks now, they'll all want them. It seems that fit, healthy people make a quick recovery if treated in time so I'm not panicking. I had the normal flu vaccination so if I got symptoms I would be suspicious, but thankfully I am not near any of the current outbreaks.

I just read on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/02/worried.well.hospitals/index.html

that people in Southern California are panicking and causing huge problems at the hospitals. A gentle reminder here, not to DO that, wherever you may live? What's happening is that someone with a slight cold, or even no symptoms at all, may panic and go to an emergency room. That's tying up space and resources for genuine emergencies. So really, the flu is not that widespread at the moment, and most people recover just fine. There were some students at a university near where I live, who got swine flu. By the time the test results came in, they had already recovered. It's important to be sensible, and most usually, a cold is just a cold. . . .

Emergency Antibody Method Being Tested For H1N1A

Posted on: Sunday, 3 May 2009, 09:00 CDT

For the past week, teams in Chicago and Atlanta have been stocking up on supplies and waiting for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to send them samples of blood from Mexican swine flu patients in hopes of creating an antibody to ward off the new strain of the flu virus.
Patrick Wilson of the University of Chicago and fellow vaccine expert Rafi Ahmed of Emory University in Atlanta, hope to develop a method to quickly make infection-fighting proteins called monoclonal antibodies. The specially engineered antibodies are immune system proteins that attach to invaders such as viruses and in effect able to neutralize the particular strain of influenza.

The journal Nature published a study last year about Wilson and Ahmed where they showed that with only a few tablespoons of blood, they were able to make influenza antibodies in as little as a month.
The hope is that these antibodies would be useful in protecting frontline workers and other high-risk persons to ward off the flu until a vaccine could be made should a pandemic arise.

Last Sunday, researchers at CDC asked the researchers to put this new technology to the test in the face of the outbreak of the strange new strain of the H1N1 flu virus (swine flu).

When they receive the blood samples, the teams will isolate a type of immune system cell known as antibody-secreting plasma cells, which produce a deluge of antibodies as part of an initial response to infection.
These cells will allow the researchers to begin making highly targeted antibodies against the new flu strain.

"Within a few weeks from the time we get the blood, we're likely to have something of value," said Wilson optimistically, adding that the antibodies would then be sent to the CDC for further testing to make sure they are able to block the virus from infecting cells grown in the lab.

Wilson said the CDC first plans to utilize the antibodies for making rapid diagnostic test kits that are able to quickly identify the new virus without sophisticated lab equipment to match its genetic sequence.

They hope to eventually make antibodies that can be injected into those who have been exposed to the virus.

"If they find some of these antibodies that are really good at neutralizing this flu, the potential is there to use it as a therapy," Wilson said.

According to Wilson, the antibody therapy is intended to provide only temporary immunity, but it can be made available much faster than a vaccine, which can take four to six months.

Officials are reporting that although almost all cases in other countries have been mild, the virus has killed up to 101 people in Mexico so far.

Source:http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1681555/emergency_antibody_method_being_tested_for_h1n1a/

I had a heart to heart with my guinea pigs...told them "Listen up, Girlfriends...don't worry...even though you are of Latino heritage (from Peru), you didn't cause it...your not real pigs, just Guinea Pigs...remember that"

Picture985.jpg

that made me LOL :)

Back