Calvin Harris has made chart history, becoming the first artist ever to score eight Top Ten singles

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$240.00
Calvin Harris has made chart history, becoming the first artist ever to score eight Top Ten singles from one album - with a little help from his big name collaborators, of course.

His latest track with Ellie Goulding, 'I Need Your Love', hit No. 7 on the Official Charts over the weekend, which secured the record - and allowed him to overtake the previous holder of the record, Michael Jackson, who only had seven hits from one album.

Harris wrote on Twitter, "Eight Top 10s from my album 18 Months now! So happy!!!"

Martin Talbot, from the Official Charts Company, said, "Many artists only achieve a handful of hits in their entire careers, so for any act to secure three or four from one album is an excellent achievement.

"In turn, eight top 10s from one album is not just impressive, it is absolutely remarkable. And, of course, record breaking. Congratulations to Calvin Harris, the modern day hit-maker."

In the 60 years of the Official Charts, Harris is the first artist to ever achieve eight Top 10 hits from one studio album - in this case, his album 18 Months, which spent two weeks at No. 1 itself and ten weeks in the Top 10 album chart.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/81138/calvin-harris-is-first-artist-with-eight-top-10s-from-same-album

Twitter - Calvin Harris @CalvinHarris

I'll never dance, sing or be an ultimate musical legend & icon like MJ but he didn't know anything about sidechaining so it all balances out.

Calvin Harris ?@CalvinHarris 22 Apr

Yep i'm the new MJ lmaooo RT @officialcharts @calvinharris has beaten @michaeljackson's Chart record by scoring 8 #Top10 hits from 1 album

Re: Katy Perry Closing In on Michael Jackson Chart Record *Update- Perry Matches MJ's Record*

I don't even know who this Calvin Harris is.

Well congrats on the 8 top 10's to Calvin .. but he is delusional is he thinks that makes him the new MJ .. :lol: it takes more than chart toppers to even be close to what Michael achieved in the entertainment business and outside the business. When he sell 100 Million of that Album and over 700 Million total records then come back and talk

Calvin Harris is a scottish DJ/producer/singer. I can't find much info about his singles, but according to Wikipedia he ain't very international.
Furthermore, it seems that some of his singles werent no.1 in billboard Hot100 or stuff, but often just in the Dance Section.
He seems to be very popular in Scotland and Ireland, though.

I looked him up on Wikipedia and he's a Scotish DJ, no wonder I don't know him. This was achieved on the UK charts, not Billboard. (You gotta love these articles when they don't make that clear.) From what I have seen he's not that successful in the US and generally outside of the UK. His biggest hit in the US was so far a song called Sweet Nothing which went No 10 on the Hot 100. That's his only Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100. His latest song peaked at #114 on Billboard.

Last edited:
you guys are hilarious:lmao: but..he dared to use MJ's name in his tweet. This guys got some..

What is sidechaining and how does he know what Michael knew and didn't know? The name sounds familiar but that's it.

Re: Katy Perry Closing In on Michael Jackson Chart Record *Update- Perry Matches MJ's Record*

Yeah who in heaven's name is this guy; what type of music does he sing; how long has he been singing; did the music that topped the chart only have his voice or did he sing with another artist.

I didn't know he sings, I think he worked on Rihanna's "We Found Love" or "Where Have You Been". That's his style.

He's the British David Guetta. He stands at a record player, gets high profile international artists in, they sing, he twiddles knobs in the background.

Mentioning this in the same breath as a Michael Jackson album is just odd. This is more like a compilation album.

Sure it's a lot easier to score top 10s when you're using high profile artists and catching their respective fanbases.

LOL umm there aint even any real crazy hysteria with his music like michael's thiller did back in the 80s!

Untill i see that same hysteria with this calvin harris then i'll say yeh hes the biggest entertainer now but that wont even happen so yeh lol

Calvin harris isn't a performer in the sense of Michael Jackson is. He is more like a glorified DJ and music producer.

breaking record sales doesnt make him the great performer or anything near Michael jackson

This is what Calvin Harris does on stage .. he pushes buttons and plays music from a booth and puts on a light show

breaking record sales doesnt make him the great performer or anything near Michael jackson

I don't think he broke sales records - just a chart record (not the same). I doubt his album sold anywhere near to the amount of Thriller or Bad sold in the UK.

My mistake - I meant charts records but even breaking sales records wouldn't make him the greatest entertainer. He doesn't sing dance or perform on stage to my knowledge .. he is a DJ... he put on a musical light show

I'm sure Mj knew what chaining was but he didn't use electronic music like that
He left that to the remixers .. who did remix albums of his songs

We could give Calvin the title "King of Sidechaining" :lol:, but I doubt he is even that

lol...Who? and..sidechaining...what's that?
Well..once again, Michael...people are using you as the standardbearer. Nothing new.

I had to google what is side chaining as I too had no idea what is it.
http://audio.tutsplus.com/sessions/using-sidechaining-effectively/

I think MJ knew what is it, this man is talking out of his arse:)

It just looks like playing around with electronic devices.

I'm trying not to be prejudiced against any music style. Surely, electronic music has its merits. (Though that clip of Calvin Harris' performance makes my head ache. I think there's more interesting and more innovative electronic music than this.) It's just not my style and things like this side chaining (which seems to be only about knowing where to plug which wire and which buttons to push to create a certain sound) do not impress me.

Last edited:
Who is Calvin Harris?

Honestly, no matter what country the songs charted on, charts mean nothing to me anymore because any "artist" of today can get a top ten hit very easily. It doesn't take much anymore...

So shouldn't he be on the chart of top DJ's rather than on a singing chart. It seems he does more technical things, so he should be on a chart that is appropriate for technical skill. It seems the music industry is confused again, and there is no Michael to unravel that confusion.

He's the new king of pop #84. ;D

To be fair, this website is british and the official charts is the name for our charts, so to their readers it's clear it's a uk chart record, but maybe the title on this thread could be changed to avoid confusion.

Anyway, i'm british and i was completely unaware of this particular record of mj's. But when i checked, mj has actually 7 top 10 hits for bad AND 7 top 10 hits for dangerous in our charts.

the hell....? Really? Calvin who? Bish please!!!!!!!!!
I love how the media jumps all over this - anything to diminish Michael Jackson. This is sad really. Shouldn'nt there be an asterisk by Calvins name to note he is a DJ and had to have guest singers and hes not even in the same league with Michael Jackson? Just sayin.

Firstly I know who Calvin is. He is famous for making commercial dance music with established artists. The stuff he did with Florence & the Machine (and also Florence on her own) is good.

But the rest of it is just standard cheap commercial "dance" music.

But to be honest, I was unaware he got more the one No.1. That's because I've not followed the charts for at least 10 years (and I'm only 24). I just have no interest in it.

To be clear...he did NOT chart on global music charts right? Only UK? So he didn't break MJs record? Please if someone could clarify...

No, it's not about any global chart and it's not about Billboard either. His record is only on the UK chart. He seems to be big there, but internationally he's not that popular. You can see his chart performances in different countries here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Harris_discography

Back