Black Or White - 19Yrs Ago Today (Nov 14, 1991)

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
6a01156f1b6b31970c0120a.jpg

To prepare the audience for the special occasion of the televised premiere of the "Black or White" video, Epic records released the song (without the accompanying images) to radio stations just two days in advance. In a period of twenty-four hours, "Black or White", described by the record company as "a rock 'n' roll dance song about racial harmony", had been added to the playlists of 96 percent of 237 of the United States of America's top forty radio stations the first day of release.

Nineteen years ago tonight, Fox scored the highest ratings in its five-year history – and angered scores of viewers – when it premiered the music video for Michael Jackson’s racial unity anthem, “Black or White.”

The 11-minute opus aired at 8:25, sandwiched between the end of “The Simpsons” and the beginning of “Drexell’s Class,” Dabney Coleman’s latest short-lived sitcom.

Viewers in 14.3 million homes watched “Black or White,” which Bart Simpson introduced. The video was the night’s fifth-most watched program and ranked 22nd in the weekly ratings, boosting the show that followed it – “Beverly Hills 90210,” then in its sophomore season – to its biggest audience at that point.

“Black or White” also debuted on BET and MTV and in 26 other countries, drawing an estimated 500 million viewers worldwide.

When “Black or White” debuted on this night in 1991, it ended with a violent sequence in which a panther morphs into Jackson, who dances in a dark alley, smashes a car with a crowbar and takes his crotch-grabbing to new extremes, even simulating masturbation and zipping his pants in a close-up.

Outraged parents flooded their local Fox stations with angry calls.

The Memphis affiliate’s general manager told the Associated Press his station received about 100 complaints and vowed never to air the video again.

Jackson responded to the outcry the next day, issuing a public apology and announcing he would cut the controversial panther sequence.

“I’ve always tried to be a good role model,” he said in a statement. “I deeply regret any pain or hurt that the final segment … caused children, their parents, or any other viewers.”

From the Pages of TV Guide

Also airing Nov. 14, 1991:

8 PM FOX SIMPSONS (CC) – Cartoon

Homer’s help with Bart’s soapbox racer does little for the car, but a lot for their relationship – until Bart decides to drive for another. Voices: Dan Castellaneta, Nancy Cartwright.

8 PM NBC COSBY SHOW (CC)

Cliff instructs a “For Men Only” class at the community center, while Russell (Earle Hyman) learns about video games from Olivia and Marlon (Raven-Symone, Aaron Beener). Cliff: Bill Cosby. Clair: Phylicia Rashad.

9 PM FOX BEVERLY HILLS, 90210 (CC); 60 min.

Emily (Christine Elise) leads the gang to an underground club, where she leads Brandon (Jason Priestley) against his will on a journey with financial and emotional costs. Brenda: Shannen Doherty. Dylan: Luke Perry. Kelly: Jennie Garth. David: Brian Austin Green. Donna: Tori Spelling. Jackie: Ann Gillespie.

9 PM NBC CHEERS (CC)

Sam (Ted Danson) asks Carla (Rhea Perlman) to get even with John Allen Hill (Keene Curtis), but instead she gets horizontal with him, which really gets Sam’s goat. Show Barker No. 1: Jordan Lund.
http://www.tvtimecapsule.com/black-or-white/

bwstoryboards7med.jpg

This spiral bound soft-cover production book from Propaganda Films and MJJ Productions was used for Michael Jackson’s groundbreaking video/short film “Black or White."

3803amed.jpg

Under the project working title “Colors", the booklet includes a full script, shooting schedule, photocopied storyboards (including those for the controversial and often deleted “Panther” sequence), contact and crew lists, location list and map, and calendar of events for primary filming. Loose pages inserted into the booklet include crew Call Sheets, additional pick-up shot schedule, and a folder containing costume notes for the Russian dancers seen in the video.

bwtagfrontmed.jpg

A laminated badge with “MJJ Productions, ‘Black or White’” printed on one side, and “Property of MJJ Productions” printed on the reverse also accompanies this extremely rare pop culture artifact. “Black or White” was the number one hit single off of Michael Jackson’s “Dangerous” album released in October of 1991. The song was one of the most popular hits of the early nineties and went to number one on both the US Billboard Hot 100 and the UK Singles Chart, as well as topping charts in eighteen other countries.

The video for “Black or White” is considered a historical musical landmark for several reasons. The nearly eight minute long original cinematic production was first seen on November 14, 1991 as a heavily promoted televised world premiere that was directed by John Landis, who had previously worked with Jackson on the “Thriller” video. The cast included high profile celebrity actors such as Macaulay Culkin, Tess Harper, George Wendt, and Tyra Banks, and the opening introduction to the video and primary song riff were both performed by guitarist Slash from Guns And Roses. It also featured one of the earliest examples of “Morphing” digital effects, which was considered groundbreaking at the time.

While the song and video primarily promoted racial harmony, the original version of the video stirred considerable controversy due to an extended scene near the end where Jackson appears as a black panther before morphing back into human form. He then goes on a rampage of vandalism, smashing car and storefront windows and causing a building to explode. Because of the controversy, MTV and other music video networks removed the last four minutes of the video in subsequent broadcasts and the original uncut version is still rarely seen to this day.

http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=3803

Last edited:
Re: Black Or White - 19Yrs Ago Today

I missed the original airing, and I had to wait two years until Dangerous - The Short Films was released before I saw the complete version. That was life in the pre-Internet days...

I wish I was a little older so I could have fully witnessed this.
I was just 2 at the time.
You can't imagine something like that happening nowadays.

Thanks for the topic, it brings back memories :p

Thank for posting...Great day in History :)

Thanks! :punk:

Wow!! Black or White turned 19 already? Unbelievable!! I remember when I became a fan it was only 10 years old :lol:
It's a true Michael Jackson classic in every sense no less than Beat It and Billie Jean!
It's my all time favorite song
A historic day indeed :yes:

Yeah.... :wild: :punk:

Jesus time goes by so fast. :bugeyed :doh: Now... I feel old. -_- LOL :lol:

Great memories. :wub: I love to be able to return to the past and relive all those emotions again. :heart:

I miss you Michael... :cry: *big sigh*

omg..I remember that time and i live in Trinidad my country of birth at that time, we also had the MJ fever just as bad as the US...The end of the segment with MIke going crazy was not that bad compared to other music video at that time. But ppl didn't expect that to come from mike, many came up with their own theories of the unthinkable about him in their minds. Then the accusation came... and it was down hill from there. Nonetheless they were great times and I am so glad I was around to experience them.

Next week (21st November-my bday) ....Black or white was number 1...19 years ago..!! :woohoo:

Oh how fun to look back. Let's see, at this time I was 28 years old just fresh out of college (I had taken a little time off after graduating from high school). I honestly can't remember if I watched this premiere on FOX. I must have. I know I always watched the Cosby Show. So maybe I flipped over to FOX after the show ended at 8:30, lol. I know premiere's of Michael's videos were always big events and always surrounded by hoopla. Fun times.

Interesting. Pretty cool. How I wish I was alive. haha.
Those who have these memories, you truly do not know how lucky you are.

I was eight years when I first saw the "Black Or White" short film. I'm glad I taped it when I did. It was an amazing experience. I even imitated the Panther Sequence, without breaking anything. I even grabbed my crotch too. It was hilarious now that I think about it.

Aw, the good times. A few weeks later, "Dangerous" was the first album I've got and I've been a Michael-a-holic ever since.

Yeah.... :wild: :punk:

Jesus time goes by so fast. :bugeyed :doh: Now... I feel old. -_- LOL :lol:

Great memories. :wub: I love to be able to return to the past and relive all those emotions again. :heart:

I miss you Michael... :cry: *big sigh*

I feel the same. This takes me back. So much anticipation! I can remember my jaw dropping during the panther scene extreme crotch grab! I loved the panther sequence though. Actually I loved the whole thing. The morphing was so new and amazing at the time. When the segment was finished, we just couldn't believe what we had just seen. Not that I am a nostalgic kind of person, but that does bring back great memories.....

OMG!! That was 19 year ago!!! I was 8 when that aired and i remmeber seeing him and hearing him for the 1st time and right after that I was a fan for life. I feel soooo old right now lol.

i was 14 i rember wondering what the ending was for i did not get it i sttill find it odd to watch i remember my mom saying hes grabbing himself alot whenever i watch it but what i remember more was the reaction by the kids in school it was not pretty

i was 14 i rember wondering what the ending was for i did not get it i sttill find it odd to watch i remember my mom saying hes grabbing himself alot whenever i watch it but what i remember more was the reaction by the kids in school it was not pretty

Yea I was 13 and I remember the outrage by people and the media over the ending of "Black or White".... Didn't really get what the big problem was myself.. But Michael was good at rattling the media and the general public.. LOL

:angel: Love ya Mike

I think i was 6yrs old or 7yrs old and i remember the hoopla bout the ending of the video, everyone went nuts bout it.

I can't believe it has been that long ago already. I was only 11 years old when that premiere back then. But yet I don't remember seeing it. Nor do I remember hearing all of the controversy over it. Until some years later. I do however remember seeing the world premieres of the Jam, In The Closet, and Remember The Time videos back then. And I just totally L.:heart:.V.E. them. I do remember being in total shock when I first saw the alley scene on my Dangerous Short Films vhs tape. When I had gotten it nearly 10 years ago. I had finally saw why it was controversial back then. It took a few times of watching that scene for the shock to finally wear off of me. Now I am just used to seeing it.

Thanks for posting this, what a nice memory. I think the whole Dangerous era starts with this.

I was about 15 years when that video was premiered.
There was a radiostation over here that broadcasted the sound of the tv station 24/7, so I taped the premiere.
I listened to that tape a lot back then:D

You cannot talk about Black or White without mentioning "Word to the badd". MJ's own flesh and blood tried to sabotage (deja vu??) his Dangerous album when he released that ids track to an LA radio station ...days before (or was it after?) Black or white premiered. There was no leak...He released the damn thing to humiliate MJ.

In November 1991, a new single, "Word to the Badd!", by Jermaine Jackson was leaked to Los Angeles radio station KPWR. The DJ began to play the single continuously in alternation with MJ's new single "Black or White". The lyrics were a no-holds-barred attack on Michael.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88d67-ypsXM

What up yo,
word to the badd
Reconstructed
Been abducted
Don’t know who you are
They may love you
they don’t know you
Lonely superstar
never think about who you love
only think about number one
You forget about where you started from
You only think about what you want
don’t care about how it’s done
you only think about you, your throne
Be it right or be it wrong
It ain’t about your world
It ain’t about the things that you do
If you don’t care, I don’t care
Cause you keep thinkin’ ’bout you
It ain’t about you takin’ my pie
You been takin’ for a long time
If you keep
Well I ain’t thinkin’ ’bout you
What up yo, word to the badd
Once you were made
You changed your shade
Was your color wrong?

Could not turn back
It’s a known fact
You were too far gone
You know I tried to be there for you
Like a brother I care for you
It didn’t matter you always play me off
You only care about what you want
You don’t care about how it’s done
You only think about you, your throne
Be it right or wrong
If you keep
Oh no no, I ain’t thinkin’ ’bout you
Oh no
Thinkin’ about that pie that you’ve been takin’ from me
From a brother to another brother hard to believe
Lost and don’t know it yet you still show it
Givin’ seems to be harder than it is to receive
The glass has gotten shady, time to make it clearer,
Clean it up and lets start with the Man in the mirror.
Theres sadness there brother, aint no mistaken it,
Get a grip cause youre not far from breakin it.
Thinkin about the time when we used to be close,
It shouldnt be past tense, cause nobody knows,
What the future may hold, what tomorrow might bring,
Its not guaranteed that youll be spreading your wings

But meanwhile, I continue to smile, cause in the back of my head,
I know you’re still a child
You say that your a man, but that will never be.

Jermaine personal love letter to his beloved baby brother.

Last edited:
To me in that "song" of jermaine's just shows how jealous he was of michael.

I guess someone had to bring the negativity to this thread. Sad.

Memefan;3076438 said:
You cannot talk about Black or White without mentioning "Word to the badd". MJ's own flesh and blood tried to sabotage (deja vu??) his Dangerous album when he released that ids track to an LA radio station ...days before (or was it after?) Black or white premiered. There was no leak...He released the damn thing to humiliate MJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88d67-ypsXM

What up yo,
word to the badd
Reconstructed
Been abducted
Don’t know who you are
They may love you
they don’t know you
Lonely superstar
never think about who you love
only think about number one
You forget about where you started from
You only think about what you want
don’t care about how it’s done
you only think about you, your throne
Be it right or be it wrong
If you keep
Once you were made
You changed your shade
Was your color wrong?

Could not turn back
It’s a known fact
You were too far gone
You know I tried to be there for you
Like a brother I care for you
It didn’t matter you always play me off
You only care about what you want
You don’t care about how it’s done
You only think about you, your throne
Be it right or wrong
If you keep
Oh no no, I ain’t thinkin’ ’bout you
Oh no
Thinkin’ about that pie that you’ve been takin’ from me
From a brother to another brother hard to believe
Lost and don’t know it yet you still show it
Givin’ seems to be harder than it is to receive
The glass has gotten shady, time to make it clearer,
Clean it up and lets start with the Man in the mirror.
Theres sadness there brother, aint no mistaken it,
Get a grip cause youre not far from breakin it.
Thinkin about the time when we used to be close,
It shouldnt be past tense, cause nobody knows,
What the future may hold, what tomorrow might bring,
Its not guaranteed that youll be spreading your wings

But meanwhile, I continue to smile, cause in the back of my head,
I know you’re still a child
You say that your a man, but that will never be.

Jermaine personal love letter to his beloved baby brother.

I have totally forgotten about that song. Until you had mention it. I never heard the song nor am I ever going to. But I do remember hearing something about that song back then on the news. I think it was from one of those tabloid type news shows. And back then I just couldn't believe Michael's own brother would do that. But then I realized that he was just jealous of him.

I can't believe it's been 19 years, Michael looks so fresh, flawless and young in the video!

Thanks for the topic, it brings back memories :p
sure does. i was only 11 at the time, but i remember not understanding why everyone was so upset over the ending. i didn't see the big deal. still don't.

michael was the only one who could debut his videos with such fanfare and anticipation. and on a major network, at that.

Those who have these memories, you truly do not know how lucky you are.
yes i do. :)

Back