BILLBOARD WILL COUNT CATALOG IN TOP 200, LIKE HITS HAS BEEN DOING ALL ALONG (MJ Related)

mlbee2002

Proud Member
BILLBOARD WILL COUNT CATALOG IN TOP 200, LIKE HITS HAS BEEN DOING ALL ALONG
Move Will Be Made for Sales Week of Nov. 16-22

November 9, 2009

When Michael Jackson was the country’s best-selling artist after his untimely death, Billboard ignored him in its Top 200 sales chart.

When the Beatles reissues stormed retail on 9/9/09, Billboard refused to go, “Yeah, yeah, yeah,” relegating them to their Catalog chart.

Throughout, HITS’ Top 50 Album sales chart continued to reflect what was really going on sales-wise, and now the Bible will follow our lead.

Beginning with the issue dated Dec. 5 (representing the sales tracking week of 11/16-22), the Billboard 200 ranking will be based on SoundScan’s Comprehensive Albums chart, which means back catalog and reissues.

Wonder when they’ll start counting digital downloads on their singles chart. Oh, they do already?

“The events of 2009 and the continuing creativity in the repackaging of catalog titles, have led us to the conclude that the Billboard 200 would be best served presenting the true best sellers in the country, without any catalog-related rules or stipulations, to the media, pubic and our readers,” read the letter from the guys in charge.

The change will not effect the presentation of the charts or the calculations of the marketing reports in SoundScan, as the Top Current Albums, Top Comprehensive Albums and Top Catalog Albums charts remain unchanged. The move to a current/catalog hybrid chart will only affect the Billboard 200. All other current-based albums chart will follow BB’s longstanding catalog criteria.

In addition, the R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart will be ranked on overall sales, with the R&B Core Store Panel no longer involved in calculations. There will also be a 15-position Folk Albums chart, to be managed by Gary Trust, which will run periodically in print and appear weekly on billboard.biz and billboard.com.

Nice to know someone’s listening over there.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news07829

That's cool, I guess, but why didn't they do this a long time ago when Michael and The Beatles were the top sellers?

Is this retroactive? It should be, because MJ was # 1 for several weeks over the summer and he should get the accolades. He earned them.

Cool story but I really hope they count the sales over the summer and fall. MJ was 1 all summer and it didn't count.

SHAME, SHAME , SHAME

Why not change the rules when Number Ones was the best selling of the country? HE WAS THE MOST SOLD FOR WEEKS.

so, I presume they changed it cause they realized they were short chaning artist. Too late for Mike, but whateva we all know who the king is :)

so basically, they are saying that they are not doing what they are doing?

and they are going back to how things started in the beginning of the rock era, while saying it never was like that, in its history? all based on the death of Michael?

so...now you know..that MJ was always america's best selling artist..but the media wanted you to think otherwise. until now. that the charts did lie, to block Michael, in the eyes of the public. now they're doing penance. how nice. indeed..there was a conspiracy against him. and they can give me a break about using the beatles to argue their case. the grammys nominated Paul McCartney for a rerelease. so, while they stiffed the beatles in one way, they didn't in another way. and while the UK charts always counted Michael, the billboard charts, here, did not. till now. they're not consistent, and they can't explain their way out of it. but...hey...MJ is still King of american billboard..and always was, even when they didn't admit it, throughout his career, from the time of THriller.

Funny how when MJ was topping the charts with his albums, it was'nt deemed in good sense to officially place it on the 200 charts, but for some reason they now see it fit to do so.....

What a pity, Michael would change music history with his selling, and nobody would change or break the records he would achieved if the Billboard TOP200 counted Top catalog chart selling!!!

Did they do it purposely?

I think YES!

BILLBOARD WILL COUNT CATALOG IN TOP 200, LIKE HITS HAS BEEN DOING ALL ALONG
Move Will Be Made for Sales Week of Nov. 16-22

November 9, 2009

When Michael Jackson was the country’s best-selling artist after his untimely death, Billboard ignored him in its Top 200 sales chart.

When the Beatles reissues stormed retail on 9/9/09, Billboard refused to go, “Yeah, yeah, yeah,” relegating them to their Catalog chart.

Throughout, HITS’ Top 50 Album sales chart continued to reflect what was really going on sales-wise, and now the Bible will follow our lead.

Beginning with the issue dated Dec. 5 (representing the sales tracking week of 11/16-22), the Billboard 200 ranking will be based on SoundScan’s Comprehensive Albums chart, which means back catalog and reissues.

Wonder when they’ll start counting digital downloads on their singles chart. Oh, they do already?

“The events of 2009 and the continuing creativity in the repackaging of catalog titles, have led us to the conclude that the Billboard 200 would be best served presenting the true best sellers in the country, without any catalog-related rules or stipulations, to the media, pubic and our readers,” read the letter from the guys in charge.

The change will not effect the presentation of the charts or the calculations of the marketing reports in SoundScan, as the Top Current Albums, Top Comprehensive Albums and Top Catalog Albums charts remain unchanged. The move to a current/catalog hybrid chart will only affect the Billboard 200. All other current-based albums chart will follow BB’s longstanding catalog criteria.

In addition, the R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart will be ranked on overall sales, with the R&B Core Store Panel no longer involved in calculations. There will also be a 15-position Folk Albums chart, to be managed by Gary Trust, which will run periodically in print and appear weekly on billboard.biz and billboard.com.

Nice to know someone’s listening over there.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news07829

Should be Affect, not Effect :punk: ;)

What exactly does this mean? The top 200 is current albums of today? Michael's albums didn't come out this year yet a lot of the albums have been best sellers this year. Are they going to count that now or I am assuming wrong here?

What exactly does this mean? The top 200 is current albums of today? Michael's albums didn't come out this year yet a lot of the albums have been best sellers this year. Are they going to count that now or I am assuming wrong here?

It means that old albums like Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon and the Beastie Boys' License To Ill that was on a separate Catalog chart will now be included on the regular album chart.

This pisses me off, yes it's wonderful Billboard has finally clued in and done the right thing. BUT it's too late. MJ would have made so many records if this was 6 months earlier. Number Ones was #1 for 6 weeks in the US but will never be historically recognized for this achievement. That is very disappointing

i tell u what... for me and the fans, he really made all these records on the billboard charts. i dont care what they are doing now. mike was these weeks at nr.1 and had all these albums in the charts. and broke records. i dont care what they say. these bastards! and i will add that to my statistics, i allways made about the charts. for me he really was on the billboard 200. thats my point. and he broked records! thats our KING! :) long live the king!

So Michael won't be counted in then?

No his record making summer sales will be ignored in US chart history. Even though Jackson sold over 4 million albums in 2 months, had the #1 album for 6 weeks, had 6 of the top 10 albums in the country, and received millions of downloads...this will not be counted on the Billboard 200.

No his record making summer sales will be ignored in US chart history. Even though Jackson sold over 4 million albums in 2 months, had the #1 album for 6 weeks, had 6 of the top 10 albums in the country, and received millions of downloads...this will not be counted on the Billboard 200.

Well that's not fair at all. How can they totally ignore what he did this year? They need to know that's wrong or they don't care maybe.

This pisses me off, yes it's wonderful Billboard has finally clued in and done the right thing. BUT it's too late. MJ would have made so many records if this was 6 months earlier. Number Ones was #1 for 6 weeks in the US but will never be historically recognized for this achievement. That is very disappointing

I cant agree more.

Michael would totally rule the Billboard chart, all the Top 10 places..., this would never be surpassed..., no Elvis, no Beatles..., gee, I dont want to imagine this because it pisses me off.

... though any Billboard anniversary or historical event for the year 2009 will be remembered and indexed about Michael Jackson and all these HIS records.... for ever.

anyone know what the record is/was for "most albums in top 10 at the same time"?

anyone know what the record is/was for "most albums in top 10 at the same time"?
I don't know, but most likely it would have to be pre-1970, because it was common to release multiple albums a year before then.

oh I see why that blows

Last edited:
Its not a retrospective. so fuck them
Jeez. Some of you guys need to relax. If anything, the success of MJ's albums is what got this changed. If anyone actually thinks they had the charts this way in the past to prevent MJ from being on the top, you need to get your head examined. MJ wasn't the only artist affected by this. The Beatles were also.

Back