BBC: Jackson turns 50 - Highs and Lows

can we get updates..sheesh dangerous didnt even get bad reviews and was the biggest sellin album of the 90s..but w.e

When are fans going to stop assuming that this laughable media is going to change regarding MJ? Stop posting this nonsense. These people are haters and clowns. Stop thinking that what these people are doing is "OK". It is not. When people do not show MJ's impact in the world of entertainment, it is not meant to be fair or positive. Accept that reality and let it be. Stop defending the trash these idiots writes. It shows your true colors.

I doubt MJ gives a damn. His impact is bigger than anything negative that happened to him. MJ can change people's minds, but when he is ready to. The media will be hating on him regardless. I think that when it reaches his 50th birthday that we STOP posting negative and bias articles about it and focus on MJ as a man, entertainer and person. We need to stop playing ourselves with this media and learn to accept the fact that these clowns hate this man and there is NOTHING that he or we can do about it. MJ did it RIGHT no matter what these haters think. Who cares what he was falsely accused of? It happens to popular famous people. Who wasn't accused of something or sued for something in the media? That is just part of the business. MJ was a threat and was on trial for being himself. The media is not going to mentioned that they had everything to do with that because MJ refused to kiss their asses like his sister does. NEXT.

Good points! I agree

What on earth makes you think new music by michael will alter these sorrysob articles?

Michael Jackson can release an album, tomorrow, a magnanimous hit album, that would sell...lets say 15 million copies...much more than what the artist nowadays sell anywhere...and yet, these sorry journalists will write a piece of dubious article which highlights how he dengled his baby out a hotel window and had exotic animals as his companions because he is devouid any human characteristics.

These journalists I can almost see 'researching' material for their articles..they must google a few MJ bipographies from celebrity sites and wikepedia and think they've nailed Michael Jackson.

You can line up 'facts'..but it doesn't make it a deserved article.

The fact that the author probably knows very little yet wrote the damn thing is why I am bothered by it.

lilseanb, mjdove:

Bigger or lesser ignorance, lies and manipulations by BBC:
1) there is no sources that ever credited Eagles' Greatest Hits album to be biggest selling album of all time, and no one ever said that that album's sales even any near to 65 million;
2) Jackson did not move to Neverland in "Thriller" time, it was later in 1988;
3) lighter skin has nothing to do with plastic surgery;
4) Bad sales ended up with 20, not 30 million figure; 10 million copies were sold in later years;
5) fans were not "put off" by Dangerous' music;
6) the story about first allegations never started with "family of 11-year-ld Jordy Chandler accuse Jackson of molesting their son"; whole lot of story was omitted, including the fact that Jordy's father was trying to make his scripts financed various ways, and the fact that he had history of registered fraud;
7) "in what many assume is an attempt to repair his tarnished public image" (about Jackson's first marriage) is not fact of Michael's biography, it is not event but negative slant;
8) "The couple divorce 19 months later" (on LMP relationship) -- the fact that the couple's relationship lasted alltogether for more than five years, including before and after the marriage, is omitted;
9) "The self-proclaimed King of Pop" -- Jackson never was self-proclaimed;
10) Jackson's song was "You rock my world", not just "Rock my world";
11) again, the story of 2003 allegations never started with Jackson being arrested; critical, key facts were omitted.
12) no mention of the most important career facts -- like Michael selling about 100 million records after 1993 scandal, including about 50 million during HIStory project. Even in 2000s with one and only video and broken promotion of the only full album Invincible Jackson sold over 50 million records, what is unique achievement for such situation.

Last edited:
(Just in case if not everyone knows: Michael sold more records in 1990s than in 1980s, and his popularity worldwide with sales and chart positions achieved records never seen for him in 1980s.)

Last edited:
excellent Denisr.

Mind you for someone who is celebrating a landmark 50 years...mentioning Jackson's longevity and influence in the music industry is a must.

He revolutioned music videos,

His stage performances wowed millions and have gone onto influence generations of musicians

his philanthropic efforts -- especially for children and childrens welfare (and generous almost toa weakness that it has caught him in opportunistic and unfortunate events --which then led to the trial and 93 accusations)

his iconic style and personality

the tours that have outsold every large venue in the world imagineable

It is a load of crap.. I don't care what other people will try to say..

Not that they are making things up, it's that they point out things specifically to draw out highs in specific areas and lows in others..

I can throw up SO MANY positives facts and take out some of those negitives and change the whole tilt of that list..

It's all perspective to who is doing it..

Jackson turns 50: Highs and Lows

12 June 2008

By Mark Savage
BBC News entertainment reporter

bbc-banner.jpg

Jackson is one of the most successful recording artists of all time

Three of pop music's biggest stars - Madonna, Michael Jackson and Prince - celebrate their 50th birthday in 2008.

1969 – RECORD DEAL
Michael, the seventh of nine children, joins his brothers' pop group in 1964 - initially playing tambourine and bongos. He quickly becomes the centre of attention and takes on lead vocal duties as the band build up a reputation on the live circuit.

Motown acts Gladys Knight and Bobby Taylor recommend the Jackson Five to their boss Berry Gordy. The groups' first release on the legendary Detroit label, I Want You Back, goes straight to number one in 1969 - when Michael is just 11 years old.

Over the next six years, the band churns out a string of hits including ABC, The Love You Save and I’ll Be There

1975 - QUITS MOTOWN

The Jacksons decide to leave Motown for a more lucrative deal at CBS Records. Motown sues the band for $20 million (£10 million).

1978 – OFF THE WALL

Jackson meets music producer Quincy Jones on the set of The Wiz - an urban retelling of The Wizard of Oz in which the singer plays the scarecrow.

He asks Jones to produce his new solo record - and the result is disco classic Off The Wall.

It sells 10 million copies, and contains hit singles Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough and Rock With You.

1982 - THRILLER

Jackson unleashes his pop masterpiece, Thriller, which re-writes the rule book on how pop is marketed, not least because of its ground-breaking video clips.

The record is frequently named the biggest-selling album of all time – shifting 65million copies, according to the Guinness Book of World Records. However, some sources give the same accolade to the Eagles' Greatest Hits album.

As the album spawns hit single after hit single (seven of its nine tracks hit the charts) Jackson appears unstoppable. He causes jaws to drop around the world when he debuts the Moonwalk at a Motown television special in 1983.

Then, against the advice of his managers and record label, he convinces director John Landis to transform him into a zombie and a werecat in the 14-minute video for Thriller - at a cost of $500,000 (£250,000).

1984 – BURNING HAIR AND TABLOID RUMOURS

_44738420_jackson_rumours.jpg

Bubbles the chimpanzee was one of Jackson's more famous playmates

As he films a Pepsi commercial in front of an audience in Los Angeles, Michael’s hair is set on fire by a pyrotechnic explosion. He is carried out of the building on a stretcher... and sales of Thriller jump by 150,000 week on week.

As *****-mania reaches fever pitch, tabloid stories about the secretive star begin to circulate. It is claimed that he sleeps in an oxygen tent and wants to buy the remains of Elephant Man Joseph Merrick.

The "***** *****" name is coined soon after, and the star retreats into his newly-purchased Neverland ranch, complete with zoo and funfair.

Meanwhile, Jackson continues to prove his business acumen - securing the publishing rights to the Beatles' back catalogue for $47.5 million, beating a bid from his old friend Paul McCartney.

1987 - BAD

Martin Scorcese’s video for Bad sees Michael with distinctly lighter skin, leading to rumours of plastic surgery and skin bleaching. But the press coverage does nothing to hurt his popularity and the Bad album sells more than 30 million copies.

The success of the album kick-starts Jackson's first solo tour. The critically-acclaimed Bad concerts feature magic tricks, lasers, and a section where the star "flies" above the audience on a crane. Prince Charles and Princess Diana even attend one of the seven sell-out shows in Wembley.

As the tour draws to a close, Jackson pens his autobiography, revealing: "I'm one of the loneliest people in the world'' and releases the Moonwalker film - a mixed bag of music videos and childish fantasy sequences.

1991 – DANGEROUS

With hip-hop in the ascendancy, Michael employs urban producer Teddy Riley to give a rougher edge to his new album, Dangerous. Fans and critics alike are put off by the harsh rhythms and sparse arrangements, but lead single Black or White is a massive hit.

While promoting the album, Jackson invites Oprah Winfrey to his Neverland Ranch for a special edition of her TV show. Beamed live around the world, the star addresses several of the stories about his private life.

He reveals that he was bullied by his father, had plastic surgery twice, and that his changing skin tones were the result of a "disorder that destroys the pigmentation of my skin".

1993 – CHILD ABUSE ALLEGATIONS

The family of 11-year-old Jordy Chandler accuse Jackson of molesting their son. The star categorically denies the charges, but Los Angeles police raid his home while he is on tour in the Far East.

He later comes to an out-of-court settlement with the family for an estimated $20m.

The following year, Michael marries Lisa Marie Presley in what many assume is an attempt to repair his tarnished public image. The couple divorce 19 months later.

1995 – STATUE STUNT

The self-proclaimed King of Pop floats a giant statue of himself down the river Thames to promote his new album, HIStory, which combines his greatest hits with a disc of new material, much of which is a vitriolic response to the star's recent woes.

The following year, he appears at the Brit Awards to perform number one single Earth Song. The show sees Jackson surrounded by children, adopting a messianic pose. Pulp frontman Jarvis Cocker is so incensed that he storms the stage.

Jackson declares himself "sickened, saddened, shocked, upset, cheated and angry" by the event.

1997 – FATHERHOOD

In 1997, Jackson is inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and, in a surprise move, marries nurse Debbie Rowe, who is pregnant with his child, Prince Michael.

The couple have a daughter, Paris Michael Katherine, the following year before divorcing in 1999. The singer retains custody of the children.

2001 – INVINCIBLE

Six years in the making, Jackson’s next album, Invincible, barely lasts six weeks on the charts.

Only one single, Rock My World, gets a full global release. Jackson blames the lack of promotion on the fact he had decided not to renew his contract with Sony – and launches an attack on label boss Tommy Mottola, calling him "devilish" and accusing him of racism.

Meanwhile, the singer's personal life continues to cause controversy. He draws scathing criticism when he dangles the 11-month-old Prince Michael II (or Blanket) out the window of a German hotel.

Things go from bad to worse when he admits sharing his bed with children on a TV documentary. "Why can't you share your bed?” he protests, “that's the most loving thing to do, to share your bed with someone."

2003 – ARREST, TRIAL AND THE FUTURE

Police raid Jackson's Neverland ranch and, shortly afterwards, a warrant is issued for his arrest on charges of molesting a 14-year-old boy, Gavin Arvizo.

The star surrenders himself to police and is arrested and handcuffed. A five-month trial in 2005 ends with Jackson found not guilty on all charges.

Following the trial, and amid rumours of bankruptcy, the elusive pop star moves to Dubai. Sporadic public appearances and rumours of new material have surfaced periodically ever since, but there is still no sign of Jackson's comeback.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7448908.stm

Shouldn't this be in the Tabloid section, because what I just read made me sick.. the way it's written and the way he's being portrayed. It's nothing new, so I dont see the pont in posting in the general discussion.

What on earth makes you think new music by michael will alter these sorrysob articles?

Michael Jackson can release an album, tomorrow, a magnanimous hit album, that would sell...lets say 15 million copies...much more than what the artist nowadays sell anywhere...and yet, these sorry journalists will write a piece of dubious article which highlights how he dengled his baby out a hotel window and had exotic animals as his companions because he is devouid any human characteristics.

These journalists I can almost see 'researching' material for their articles..they must google a few MJ bipographies from celebrity sites and wikepedia and think they've nailed Michael Jackson.

You can line up 'facts'..but it doesn't make it a deserved article.

The fact that the author probably knows very little yet wrote the damn thing is why I am bothered by it.

I agree 100%. And great post denisrs.

i dunno is this really what bbc today is about?

can't they approach pop music industry or artists in a professional way? this article has "the sun" or "mirror" niveau. shameful how far bbc goes these days just for the pure sensationalism and for making people look bad just for the fun of it and without any true reason.

Blargh, not worth getting riled over. Same 'ol, same 'ol. Heard it all before. BBC are on a simliar par to tabloids nowadays.

So much for making his 50th a happy occasion to celebrate his success/career. Lets just devote 95% of this article to reiterating his lows and taking shots at him shall we ;)

Another fact missed by the BBC is That Michael Jackson is the only artist to ever sell over 1 million tickets in the old Wembley stadium.

^ There are MANY MANY facts left out..

This should be closed..

It talks about many of the things we are not allowed to talk about.. So why do we allow articles of others that talk that tabloide B.S. when us FANS can't, wont, don't, whatever...

Last edited:
We should write emails to the BBC to point out their biased, and sometimes fictional report. I couldn't see a comments section on the page, so does anyone know what the best place to send emails to is?

Cheers

lilseanb, mjdove:

Bigger or lesser ignorance, lies and manipulations by BBC:
1) there is no sources that ever credited Eagles' Greatest Hits album to be biggest selling album of all time, and no one ever said that that album's sales even any near to 65 million;
2) Jackson did not move to Neverland in "Thriller" time, it was later in 1988;
3) lighter skin has nothing to do with plastic surgery;
4) Bad sales ended up with 20, not 30 million figure; 10 million copies were sold in later years;
5) fans were not "put off" by Dangerous' music;
6) the story about first allegations never started with "family of 11-year-ld Jordy Chandler accuse Jackson of molesting their son"; whole lot of story was omitted, including the fact that Jordy's father was trying to make his scripts financed various ways, and the fact that he had history of registered fraud;
7) "in what many assume is an attempt to repair his tarnished public image" (about Jackson's first marriage) is not fact of Michael's biography, it is not event but negative slant;
8) "The couple divorce 19 months later" (on LMP relationship) -- the fact that the couple's relationship lasted alltogether for more than five years, including before and after the marriage, is omitted;
9) "The self-proclaimed King of Pop" -- Jackson never was self-proclaimed;
10) Jackson's song was "You rock my world", not just "Rock my world";
11) again, the story of 2003 allegations never started with Jackson being arrested; critical, key facts were omitted.
12) no mention of the most important career facts -- like Michael selling about 100 million records after 1993 scandal, including about 50 million during HIStory project. Even in 2000s with one and only video and broken promotion of the only full album Invincible Jackson sold over 50 million records, what is unique achievement for such situation.

I have no time to answer all your items but may be they incorrect but not false. I can't remember an article who has put all facts right. Okay.
But only two of your points,

"lighter skin has nothing to do with plastic surgery"

right, they didn't maintain it, it was on "rumours" and later they reported correctly:
"He reveals that he was bullied by his father, had plastic surgery twice, and that his changing skin tones were the result of a "disorder that destroys the pigmentation of my skin". "

"in what many assume is an attempt to repair his tarnished public image"

in the article is said WHAT MANY ASSUME, yes, many assume and many assume until today and you could tell these folks the truth again and again and they wouldn't deny it.

Make a complaint to people that are not going to change the story? There is no point of that. Fans have to learn to accept the fact that the media will ALWAYS hate this man. Stop defending this media.

Denis - As usual, on point.

mjdove: of course, not everything in my list is outright lie like "self-proclaimed", for example; that is why I called the list "bigger or lesser ignorance, lies and manipulations by BBC". Still, there is no way to characterize BBC's article "you cant argue with those facts lol they are all true" (this is not quote from MJDove) -- this is insulting compilation of ingorant and/or manipulative lalf-truths and lies. By the way, thanks for the link to BBC's feedback service -- now fans can easier, quicker way to react to this "journalism" from "professional" and "respected" company.

Last edited:
He later comes to an out-of-court settlement with the family for an estimated $20m.
this stupid 'journalist' missed out something. What about 'the boy refused to testify against him after the settlement'?

The following year, he appears at the Brit Awards to perform number one single Earth Song. The show sees Jackson surrounded by children, adopting a messianic pose. Pulp frontman Jarvis Cocker is so incensed that he storms the stage.
Wtf???? jarvis cockroach stormed the stage because he was drunk. Nothing to do with the 'messaic pose'
This **** was made up by the media to make MJ look bad and to justify jarvis's low act.
Jackson does this pose long ago before the Earth song performance, since the early 80s in Man in the mirror, Will you be ther, beat it and so on.
stupid. **** them.

He draws scathing criticism when he dangles the 11-month-old Prince Michael II (or Blanket) out the window of a German hotel.
something missing here.
He draws scathing criticism when he dangles the 11-month-old Prince Michael II (or Blanket) out the window of a German hotel for two seconds.

anyway, this article is full of ****.
Mark Savage should go to hell. **** him.

Last edited:
They should change the title to ''Jackson turns 50 - highs and lows, mainly lows'' lol

Last edited:
ugh. I wish ppl would just stop reporting things as if they are fact when they aren't. As a journalist, shouldnt you want to research and report the truth????? Since when did it become so hard to look things up??? Isnt that their job??? Personally I would sue.

y does he need to show a sign of a 'comeback'? maybe his ass don't wanna come back....maybe he's resting. u know, he had a lot to deal w/ and he does have three children. maybe certain people need to hold they horses and wait till the man is good and ready to do what it is he wants to do...

or maybe....just maybe....he about to silence all w/ what he has in store for us in the future.

why is everyone so focused on talks of the settlement when in all reality, that should be a strong defense point. hello people, he didn't settle for any lewd allegations. he settled, at the STRONG ARM REQEUST, of his insurance company...to NEGLIGENCE...something in which they paid out, not him, thus showing further proof that nothing lurid was going on....

b/c it is known, after all, that u can get justice AND money....the proof is w/ mr. simpson...whilemany don't agree w/ the criminal trial verdict, it did show that he was tried twice, once in criminal court and once in civil court.

use the information to lend to your defense...hiding behind things and funny terms makes no sense when it's an asset to the truth.

They missed out his great influence around the world. Everybody in history has downs, but nobody's downs get more talked about than MJ's to the virtual exclusions of his high points.:(

Sad but true! :yes:

I agree with you 100%! :yes:

Back