mjdove

Proud Member
Jackson turns 50: Highs and Lows

12 June 2008

By Mark Savage
BBC News entertainment reporter

bbc-banner.jpg

Jackson is one of the most successful recording artists of all time

Three of pop music's biggest stars - Madonna, Michael Jackson and Prince - celebrate their 50th birthday in 2008.

1969 – RECORD DEAL
Michael, the seventh of nine children, joins his brothers' pop group in 1964 - initially playing tambourine and bongos. He quickly becomes the centre of attention and takes on lead vocal duties as the band build up a reputation on the live circuit.

Motown acts Gladys Knight and Bobby Taylor recommend the Jackson Five to their boss Berry Gordy. The groups' first release on the legendary Detroit label, I Want You Back, goes straight to number one in 1969 - when Michael is just 11 years old.

Over the next six years, the band churns out a string of hits including ABC, The Love You Save and I’ll Be There

1975 - QUITS MOTOWN

The Jacksons decide to leave Motown for a more lucrative deal at CBS Records. Motown sues the band for $20 million (£10 million).

1978 – OFF THE WALL

Jackson meets music producer Quincy Jones on the set of The Wiz - an urban retelling of The Wizard of Oz in which the singer plays the scarecrow.

He asks Jones to produce his new solo record - and the result is disco classic Off The Wall.

It sells 10 million copies, and contains hit singles Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough and Rock With You.

1982 - THRILLER

Jackson unleashes his pop masterpiece, Thriller, which re-writes the rule book on how pop is marketed, not least because of its ground-breaking video clips.

The record is frequently named the biggest-selling album of all time – shifting 65million copies, according to the Guinness Book of World Records. However, some sources give the same accolade to the Eagles' Greatest Hits album.

As the album spawns hit single after hit single (seven of its nine tracks hit the charts) Jackson appears unstoppable. He causes jaws to drop around the world when he debuts the Moonwalk at a Motown television special in 1983.

Then, against the advice of his managers and record label, he convinces director John Landis to transform him into a zombie and a werecat in the 14-minute video for Thriller - at a cost of $500,000 (£250,000).

1984 – BURNING HAIR AND TABLOID RUMOURS

_44738420_jackson_rumours.jpg

Bubbles the chimpanzee was one of Jackson's more famous playmates

As he films a Pepsi commercial in front of an audience in Los Angeles, Michael’s hair is set on fire by a pyrotechnic explosion. He is carried out of the building on a stretcher... and sales of Thriller jump by 150,000 week on week.

As *****-mania reaches fever pitch, tabloid stories about the secretive star begin to circulate. It is claimed that he sleeps in an oxygen tent and wants to buy the remains of Elephant Man Joseph Merrick.

The "***** *****" name is coined soon after, and the star retreats into his newly-purchased Neverland ranch, complete with zoo and funfair.

Meanwhile, Jackson continues to prove his business acumen - securing the publishing rights to the Beatles' back catalogue for $47.5 million, beating a bid from his old friend Paul McCartney.

1987 - BAD

Martin Scorcese’s video for Bad sees Michael with distinctly lighter skin, leading to rumours of plastic surgery and skin bleaching. But the press coverage does nothing to hurt his popularity and the Bad album sells more than 30 million copies.

The success of the album kick-starts Jackson's first solo tour. The critically-acclaimed Bad concerts feature magic tricks, lasers, and a section where the star "flies" above the audience on a crane. Prince Charles and Princess Diana even attend one of the seven sell-out shows in Wembley.

As the tour draws to a close, Jackson pens his autobiography, revealing: "I'm one of the loneliest people in the world'' and releases the Moonwalker film - a mixed bag of music videos and childish fantasy sequences.

1991 – DANGEROUS

With hip-hop in the ascendancy, Michael employs urban producer Teddy Riley to give a rougher edge to his new album, Dangerous. Fans and critics alike are put off by the harsh rhythms and sparse arrangements, but lead single Black or White is a massive hit.

While promoting the album, Jackson invites Oprah Winfrey to his Neverland Ranch for a special edition of her TV show. Beamed live around the world, the star addresses several of the stories about his private life.

He reveals that he was bullied by his father, had plastic surgery twice, and that his changing skin tones were the result of a "disorder that destroys the pigmentation of my skin".

1993 – CHILD ABUSE ALLEGATIONS

The family of 11-year-old Jordy Chandler accuse Jackson of molesting their son. The star categorically denies the charges, but Los Angeles police raid his home while he is on tour in the Far East.

He later comes to an out-of-court settlement with the family for an estimated $20m.

The following year, Michael marries Lisa Marie Presley in what many assume is an attempt to repair his tarnished public image. The couple divorce 19 months later.

1995 – STATUE STUNT

The self-proclaimed King of Pop floats a giant statue of himself down the river Thames to promote his new album, HIStory, which combines his greatest hits with a disc of new material, much of which is a vitriolic response to the star's recent woes.

The following year, he appears at the Brit Awards to perform number one single Earth Song. The show sees Jackson surrounded by children, adopting a messianic pose. Pulp frontman Jarvis Cocker is so incensed that he storms the stage.

Jackson declares himself "sickened, saddened, shocked, upset, cheated and angry" by the event.

1997 – FATHERHOOD

In 1997, Jackson is inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and, in a surprise move, marries nurse Debbie Rowe, who is pregnant with his child, Prince Michael.

The couple have a daughter, Paris Michael Katherine, the following year before divorcing in 1999. The singer retains custody of the children.

2001 – INVINCIBLE

Six years in the making, Jackson’s next album, Invincible, barely lasts six weeks on the charts.

Only one single, Rock My World, gets a full global release. Jackson blames the lack of promotion on the fact he had decided not to renew his contract with Sony – and launches an attack on label boss Tommy Mottola, calling him "devilish" and accusing him of racism.

Meanwhile, the singer's personal life continues to cause controversy. He draws scathing criticism when he dangles the 11-month-old Prince Michael II (or Blanket) out the window of a German hotel.

Things go from bad to worse when he admits sharing his bed with children on a TV documentary. "Why can't you share your bed?” he protests, “that's the most loving thing to do, to share your bed with someone."

2003 – ARREST, TRIAL AND THE FUTURE

Police raid Jackson's Neverland ranch and, shortly afterwards, a warrant is issued for his arrest on charges of molesting a 14-year-old boy, Gavin Arvizo.

The star surrenders himself to police and is arrested and handcuffed. A five-month trial in 2005 ends with Jackson found not guilty on all charges.

Following the trial, and amid rumours of bankruptcy, the elusive pop star moves to Dubai. Sporadic public appearances and rumours of new material have surfaced periodically ever since, but there is still no sign of Jackson's comeback.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7448908.stm

It wopuld be nice if they could just focus on the music and the impact MJ made throughout the world, but this is never happen so good thing we have utube to see it for ourselves.

They missed out his great influence around the world. Everybody in history has downs, but nobody's downs get more talked about than MJ's to the virtual exclusions of his high points.:(
quite right, unfortunately, but Mike's downs we have to consider were really spectacular. And it started when too often strange attitudes of him have been scattered, from whom ever.

They missed out his great influence around the world. Everybody in history has downs, but nobody's downs get more talked about than MJ's to the virtual exclusions of his high points.:(

I agree, but what i was saying is that all the points they mentioned were true, even if they had slanted towards the bad

Sporadic public appearances and rumours of new material have surfaced periodically ever since, but there is still no sign of Jackson's comeback.

no sign of it, and that's the unfortunate part

This is exactly what I meant in the critisism thread, that article ends on a bad note and creates the overall impresion that Michael Jacskon's personal lifestyle and choices killed his career.

I dont want to read an article like this five years from now, If the new material came and Michael kept himself out of vunreble positions, that article would take a more positive conclusion.
Hopefully with Michael telling us "Its coming soon", thats exactly the direction latter articles like this will take.

true. its up to mj how he wants things to end and whether future articles will end like this or on a positive note

That list needs to be updated. There's no mention of Thriller 25 on there, no mention of MJ's apperance at the World music awards in 2006 (This is probably just as well though cause the BBC would probably only lie and say that he was booed off stage)

Its Bs because it is slanted. its never the complete representation of the truth if the positive is virtually ignored and negative is played up. How is that the truth? Do ya'll LIKE seeing MJ talked down upon or something? I don't get it lol

Load of crap. No mention of HIStory, cept the statue and JC incident tied in, it says Dangerous wasn't well received which is crap- (I remember the MJ-mania because I was there), yet they put Dangerous higher than Bad on the graph:

jacko466.gif

And they show leaving Motown as a low point, yet it says they left for a "more lucrative deal". Leaving motown was NOT a low point.

i wouldnt bother caring what these ppl think they obviously have no knowledge of mjs career and have just been told to write a peice up for his birthday.

True! But i expect more articles like that regarding his 50. Birthday.
And if they refer to the Guinness Book of World Records they have to admit that he's sold about 104 Mio. copies.
And yes, his down was spectacular, cause he is the BIGGEST, he can only get down. But compared to Elvis he is not that low, and I would appreciate if they would just one time concentrate on what he has achieved and that is a plenty, damn.

It is best to ignore all these people. We put too much emphasis on them. Let the people speak for themselves. They never compare MJ's achievements with that of his contemporary. They only compare him with himself. His worst his still better than the others. Only this week there was a pole which says 90% of the public wants MJ's video on MTV, If that isn't a high I don't know what is.

no, I don't think so. For example?

For instance, the following paragraph is incorrect as the record Eagles - Their Greatest Hits is only one of the biggest selling albums in the US, not globally.

The record is frequently named the biggest-selling album of all time – shifting 65million copies, according to the Guinness Book of World Records. However, some sources give the same accolade to the Eagles' Greatest Hits album.

Secondly, they manage to get the name of MJ's sole hit off Invincible wrong.

Only one single, Rock My World, gets a full global release. Jackson blames the lack of promotion on the fact he had decided not to renew his contract with Sony – and launches an attack on label boss Tommy Mottola, calling him "devilish" and accusing him of racism.​

Yeah it makes me mad how even reporters cant get simple facts right. Like globally The Eagles CD doesnt even come close to beating Thriller. Just shows how the media mixes up their facts all the time!

It is best to ignore all these people. We put too much emphasis on them. Let the people speak for themselves. They never compare MJ's achievements with that of his contemporary. They only compare him with himself. His worst his still better than the others. Only this week there was a pole which says 90% of the public wants MJ's video on MTV, If that isn't a high I don't know what is.
I hear exactly what your saying Dats. I no longer pay these fools any mind. Their efforts to sway the public did not work like they wanted it to work.

Case in point, like you mentioned, i.e. Pete Wentz' "man on the street" survey, wherein 90% of the public still wants to see MJ's videos. On top of that, the response MJ got at Christian's birthday party. Those are facts that can not be disputed and they came directly from THE PEOPLE. End of Story. LOL!

Last edited:
When are fans going to stop assuming that this laughable media is going to change regarding MJ? Stop posting this nonsense. These people are haters and clowns. Stop thinking that what these people are doing is "OK". It is not. When people do not show MJ's impact in the world of entertainment, it is not meant to be fair or positive. Accept that reality and let it be. Stop defending the trash these idiots writes. It shows your true colors.

its up to mj how he wants things to end and whether future articles will end like this or on a positive note

I doubt MJ gives a damn. His impact is bigger than anything negative that happened to him. MJ can change people's minds, but when he is ready to. The media will be hating on him regardless. I think that when it reaches his 50th birthday that we STOP posting negative and bias articles about it and focus on MJ as a man, entertainer and person. We need to stop playing ourselves with this media and learn to accept the fact that these clowns hate this man and there is NOTHING that he or we can do about it. MJ did it RIGHT no matter what these haters think. Who cares what he was falsely accused of? It happens to popular famous people. Who wasn't accused of something or sued for something in the media? That is just part of the business. MJ was a threat and was on trial for being himself. The media is not going to mentioned that they had everything to do with that because MJ refused to kiss their asses like his sister does. NEXT.

I've read hundreds of articles like this one and I try to not let them get to me.

We can't deny that those are facts but it would be nice if they would include more of his incredible achievements.

I read BBC's Highs and Lows of Prince when he turned 50 last saturday and it was full of inaccuracies and missed many parts of his success out. BBC say he was named after his dad's dog (no one knows if he had a dog) Prince which isn't true as he was named (reall full name) Prince Rogers Nelson after his dad's stage name Prince Rogers (real name John L. Nelson).

It's interesting that BBC have just put Bad as moderately successful album on there life line chart, when that album was the 2nd biggest selling album of all time after it's release for a few years. And Michael's Bad Tour just as big if not bigger than the Thriller album with a record breaking 7 old out concerts at Wembley Stadium. There are many things BBC could have written about Michael's life and career. Michael's career are mainly full of highs, and even his lows like the 8-10 million sales of Invincible are more successful than the likes of any album Kylie or Robbie Williams have ever sold.

Shame of BBC for not knowing or twisting the facts on the King of Pop Michael Jackson.

Some people will always need to hate so others. Particulary when, like Michael, he has the world in his hands. Some people just can't admit it. No one has done, and will never be able to do what MJJ Has...

Most of these are facts and like someone said, it's all up to MJ -- if he wants to change the ending he's gotta do something about it, if not - this is how it's going to be.

LOL, don't even look at those things! Can't they simply write happy birthday?
They are using the same timeline over and over again!!

Just remember Marlon Brnado did not win many oscars and he was rejected to play in many movies, Charlie Cahplin was accuse of pedophilia and had to live in exile, now what do they write about them?
Time will tell, let it be, now is everything in MJ hands he has to do a comeback, he has to do something great again if he wants people to talk about positive things again. It depends only on MJ now. :)

but guys it isn't worth the excitement, only take note of it actually and bear it with composure. Michael is meanwhile treasure of the American nation, what do we want more, his HIStory can't be ignored ... :)

Last edited:
Back