Barack Obama Invokes Invokes Michael Jackson as the Music of 1983,

Honestly and I hope no one gets mad at me but I don't think Obama wanted to say anything about Michael's death. Just like his pal Oprah. But people kept asking so they did.

It's nice he mentions Michael in his speech here but it feels fake or something. I don't know why all of a sudden he wants to mention Michael. I understand he is talking about when he graduated. I am sorry.

It's quite obvious Obama didn't want to say anything at first. But, again, why we think Obama had to offer a statement? Obama is a politician. As far as I understand, Obama was not a MJ fan and he didn't have any kind of relationship with Michael. As Max000 said earlier, Obama isn't exactly a profile of courage. It took Joe Biden and Arne Duncan to publicly offered their support on same-sex marriage first in order for Obama to firmly state his position. However, thus far, he has remained relatively respectful to Michael when comparing to other politicians.

As for his commencement speech at Barnard, let's be fair, he didn't make a speech that focused on Michael. It's just a passing anecdote about how it's like in 1983. In 1983, music was all about Michael and moonwalk. There is nothing fake about it. You would rather him talk about the Police and Prince instead? This is not even news. If one is not a MJ fan, one would not even notice. So, he didn't go around and mention Michael whenever he had a chance.

I don't mean to upset fans here. Sometimes, we get too defensive and protective.

Last edited:
When Whitney, Donna Summer and Dick Clark passed away he did say something immediately. That's interesting. I know his speech wasn't about Michael and I get why he mentioned him briefly. It just felt odd to me and I dont feel defensive or over protective. Sometimes things just feel strange that's all and don't have much a reaction to it.

Last edited:
Sometimes things just feel strange that's all. When Whitney, Donna Summer and Dick Clark passed away he did say something immediately. That's interesting.

There can be many reasons. May be Obama was not a fan. Or, may be he learnt his lesson after the criticism on his lack of a statement when Michael passed. Who knows?

As far as I know, Obama has never been disrespectful to Michael or used Michael to his advantage. To be honest, in a reelection year with so many uncertainties ahead, Michael Jackson or Donna Summer or Dick Clark is nowhere near the top of his priority list.

He mentioned Michael and moonwalk in the speech because Michael and moonwalk were everything music was in 1983, the year Obama graduated. Michael's moonwalk was part of history. It's more significant than other artists; thus, worth mentioning.

When I said fans tend to get over-protective, I didn't direct it at you, although I quoted you. I just feel some were blowing an innocent remark out of proportion.

Last edited:
It's quite obvious Obama didn't want to say anything at first. But, again, why we think Obama had to offer a statement? Obama is a politician. As far as I understand, Obama was not a MJ fan and he didn't have any kind of relationship with Michael. As Max000 said earlier, Obama isn't exactly a profile of courage. It took Joe Biden and Arne Duncan to publicly offered their support on same-sex marriage first in order for Obama to firmly state his position. However, thus far, he has remained relatively respectful to Michael when comparing to other politicians.

As for his commencement speech at Barnard, let's be fair, he didn't make a speech that focused on Michael. It's just a passing anecdote about how it's like in 1983. In 1983, music was all about Michael and moonwalk. There is nothing fake about it. You would rather him talk about the Police and Prince instead? This is not even news. If one is not a MJ fan, one would not even notice. So, he didn't go around and mention Michael whenever he had a chance.

I don't mean to upset fans here. Sometimes, we get too defensive and protective.
Agree. You covered all the bases.

Honestly IMO, Obama had a lot important things to worry about as the NEW PRESIDENT OF UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. The crappy economy, unemployment rates, gas prices, etc...

At least he commented the next week though.

Last edited:
It's quite obvious Obama didn't want to say anything at first. But, again, why we think Obama had to offer a statement? Obama is a politician. As far as I understand, Obama was not a MJ fan and he didn't have any kind of relationship with Michael.

Aren't obama's personal feelings completely irrelevant - he's not a private individual but the head of state and has to articulate the feelings of a nation. Speaking as a non-american, i was really surprised when i realised that obama hadn't offered up any comment personally. Our prime minister and leader of the oppostion both immediately released statements as did other leaders round the world. MJ was this huge figure in popular culture, the biggest selling solo recording artist and the most famous american in the world, so i personally found it massively disappointing that the head of state of him own country did not think it appropriate to say something.

When he did say what he said and referred to sad and tragic things in mj's life, it's obvious it was a reference to the allegations and the trial, and this was to me anyway, clearly the reason obama and his advisors had decided to not say anything immediately and instead wait to guage public reaction. I agree with you, loveis magical, that it was cowardly of obama, esp seeng he was a fellow african-american and surely shd have felt some kinship there.

It was very telling that a few months later one of his political buddies died and obama immediately broke off his holiday to release a fulsome tribute to him, declining completely to mention that this man drove his car off a bridge, managed to escape and walked away not raising the alarm, leaving his woman passenger to drown. That's sad and tragic.

Last edited:
Aren't obama's personal feelings completely irrelevant - he's not a private individual but the head of state and has to articulate the feelings of a nation. Speaking as a non-american, i was really surprised when i realised that obama hadn't offered up any comment personally. Our prime minister and leader of the oppostion both immediately released statements as did other leaders round the world. MJ was this huge figure in popular culture, the biggest selling solo recording artist and the most famous american in the world, so i personally found it massively disappointing that the head of state of him own country did not think it appropriate to say something.

Yes, you are absolutely right. Michael was a huge cultural icon. He was one of the besting selling recording artists in history. He was also one of the most talented individuals from the U.S. President is the head of the United States. Now, may I ask what really was "the feeling of a nation" on the passing of Michael Jackson? Fans don't want to re-visit it. But, in 2009, Michael was still a very polarizing and controversial figure. Thus, Americans' reactions on his passing were both positive and negative. The cause of his death was still not determined in June 2009, although rumor of drug overdose dominated airwave. So, how could Obama articulate a singular voice of a nation? The passing of Michael was not the magnitude of the 911 terrorist attack, an event that unified a nation, or the Iraqui war, an event that transformed the fate of two nations. Obama simply could not represent any particular feeling. What he had to say was somewhat personal in nature, so why his personal feelings were irrelevant?

When he did say what he said and referred to sad and tragic things in mj's life, it's obvious it was a reference to the allegations and the trial, and this was to me anyway, clearly the reason obama and his advisors had decided to not say anything immediately and instead wait to guage public reaction. I agree with you, loveis magical, that it was cowardly of obama, esp seeng he was a fellow african-american and surely shd have felt some kinship there.

Obama is a very calculated and reserved person. In my opinion, his distant personality is one of his biggest political liabilities. Don't expect him to be the first to offer his position. He's not spontaneous. Thus far, I have never seen Obama said anything disrespectful about Michael. He didn't use Michael for publicity. So, he may not even have anything against Michael.

As for kinship, it's not as obvious as it seems. Obama and Michael share some parallels. One became the first African American global star who broke racial barrier. Another became the first black American president. However, they didn't share the same root. Obama's father, unlike Michael's, was not descented from American slaves. The senior Obama was a student from Kenya. Obama's mother was white. Obama was born and raised in Hawaii, a culturally diverse place. He also spent a few years in Indonesia with his mother and step-father. After he returned to Hawaii, Obama was raised by his maternal grand-parents. He went on to study in Columbia and Harvard. So, would he feel some sort of kinship for Michael? Hard to say. There was actually an interesting article in the New York Times several years ago reporting on how some in the African-Amercian community felt Obama isn't one of their own. I'd stop right here, as this can turn tricky.

It was very telling that a few months later one of his political buddies died and obama immediately broke off his holiday to release a fulsome tribute to him, declining completely to mention that this man drove his car off a bridge, managed to escape and walked away not raising the alarm, leaving his woman passenger to drown. That's sad and tragic.

The "political buddy" that you mentioned was Ted Kennedy. Senator Kenndy died in August 2009. It's strange to see the brother of JFK and Robert F. Kennedy, a man who served in the United States Senate for almost 50 years and one of the most influential members of the Democratic Party being regarded as a nameless political buddy of Obama.

The driving incident happened in 1969, 40 years prior to his death. No doubt the incident was the darkest mark in his life. However, Ted Kennedy had risen from it. At least, his constituents moved on and had sent him back to the Senate repeatedly. Senator Kennedy was instrumental in the bi-partisanship efforts between Republicans and Democrats. Ted Kennedy was known as "the lion of Senate". He's very well regarded by his peers. In 2008, Ted Kennedy endorsed Obama, which was a turning point of Obama's presidential campaign. Kennedy's endorsement gave Obama the advantage over Hillary Clinton.

Ted Kennedy was a former colleague of Obama, a mentor to Obama and at one point, Obama's most important supporter. Kennedy may even be a personal friend of Obama. The first dog, Bo, was a gift to the Obamas from Ted Kennedy. So, what's so telling about Obama cutting his vacation short and moarning a personal friend? Isn't it what anyone would do?

Moreover, Ted Kennedy wasn't a no-body in America. He was not a lowly political aide. He was heir to the Kennedy dynasty. His death maked the end of Camelot.

Why we dwell on just one sentence of the Obama's statement on Michael's passing? At the end, Obama did give a statement through his press secretary. The statement, while not heartfelt, was respectful. He praised Michael's talents and offered his condolences to Michael's family and fans. This was typical of Obama, the reserved and calulated politican.

Thanks for your post, loveis magical. I suppose one of the points i was making was that there was no presidential statement. Don't know when his press secretary gave out that 'he was great but...', was it next day?, but obama's personal tv statement was a few days later and he said something disingenious like, well noone asked me to comment. IN an era of 24 hr news mj's death completely dominated the global media as princess di's death did years before and the sllence from the head of state was v noticeable to me and millions of others and it was seen as a snub. Also when it did come, i agree it was equivocal. So tragic that those false allegations cast such a shadow over such an amazing talent and such a personally kind and generous man.

I gave the eg of kennedy as i knew he died around the same time as mj and i remembered obama made a special effort to make a fulsome tribute, quickly and generously, ignoring the 'controversy' in his life, chappaquiddick and how it would affect his legacy. As you prob detected i wasn't a fan of kennedy's! He was a deeply divisive figure in british politics, with his views on northern ireland and his sympathy for the terrorist ira.

Thanks for your post, loveis magical. I suppose one of the points i was making was that there was no presidential statement. Don't know when his press secretary gave out that 'he was great but...', was it next day?, but obama's personal tv statement was a few days later and he said something disingenious like, well noone asked me to comment. IN an era of 24 hr news mj's death completely dominated the global media as princess di's death did years before and the sllence from the head of state was v noticeable to me and millions of others and it was seen as a snub. Also when it did come, i agree it was equivocal. So tragic that those false allegations cast such a shadow over such an amazing talent and such a personally kind and generous man.

I gave the eg of kennedy as i knew he died around the same time as mj and i remembered obama made a special effort to make a fulsome tribute, quickly and generously, ignoring the 'controversy' in his life, chappaquiddick and how it would affect his legacy. As you prob detected i wasn't a fan of kennedy's! He was a deeply divisive figure in british politics, with his views on northern ireland and his sympathy for the terrorist ira.

Thanks Bonnie. I actually agree with you that Obama can come across snobbery at times. I consider myself a liberal Democrat, but I'm not exactly a huge supporter of Obama. Given the choice we have this fall, it seems he's better than the other option. Just my opinon.

Of course, I would love Obama to react more promptly to the news of Michael's passing and show more sympathy. But, given the way Obama is cut out, the existing statment was just as typical as any other Obama's reactions. That doesn't mean Obama had anything against Michael. The fact is I don't know what his opinion really was. Obama never let it shown.

With time passing by, Michael will be remembered for his talents, his generosity, his accomplishments and his artistry. The "sad and tragic aspects of his life" will become merely footnote. No one will remember what Obama said or any other head of states said regaring Michael's passing. But, everyone will remember Michael and his moonwalk were what music once was. Magic never dies.

I'm okay with Obama's statement and when it was said. I'm also okay that he's a reserved person who respects people. It could have been a lot worse. We could have had someone for president like that hateful Congressman Peter King saying horrible things about Michael.

Back