Barack Obama Invokes Invokes Michael Jackson as the Music of 1983,

billyworld99

Proud Member
No Moonwalking For Obama At Barnard

Invokes Michael Jackson as the music of 1983, but won't moonwalk.posted May 14, 2012 1:52pm EDT

enhanced-buzz-14601-1337017527-22.jpg

.S. President Barack Obama pauses before he delivers the commencement address for the 2012 graduating class at Barnard College in New York May 14, 2012.

(Reuters / LARRY DOWNING)

Delivering a commencement address at Barnard, President Barack Obama contrasted his graduation from Columbia to the president, mentioning the pop icon Michael Jackson, but refused to do his signature dance move.

"The year I graduated, 1983, the first year women were admitted to Columbia," Obama said, adding "music was all about Michael and the moonwalk."

A graduating senior immediately shouted "Do it," sparking cheers and applause from the audience.

But Obama wouldn't play ball, declaring "No moonwalking today," leaving everyone who doesn't work for Obama disappointed.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/no-moonwalking-for-obama-at-barnard

You just know he was heading home after that to practice his moonwalk.

I don't like Obama, didn't vote for him back then, won't this time around, BUT I do like very much the fact he brought up MIchael, that was great!

Lost all respect i had for him after the way he acted after june 09. i guess it was ok to like mj in 83 eh barack

Did you guys notice how he referred to him as "Michael" instead of his full name? I know everyone knew who he was talking about but still, that was odd to me.

I loved this! Michael Jackson and Barack Obama are my favorite celebrities. I was glad he mentioned Michael! We are about the same age, so I can relate to everything he mentioned. lol

Also Michelle Obama named Unbreakable as one of her favorite work-out music:

1. Stevie Wonder – "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)"

2. Beyonce – "Move Your Body"

3. Janelle Monae – "Tightrope"

4. Sara Bareilles – "Love Song"

5. Michael Jackson – "Unbreakable"

6. Willow Smith – "Whip My Hair"

7. Beyonce – "I Was Here"

8. Chubb Rock – "Treat 'Em Right"

9. Ledisi – "Thank You"

10. Jennifer Lopez – "Get Right"

http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2012/05/michelle-obamas-workout-playlist-123414.html

respect77;3639275 said:
Also Michelle Obama named Unbreakable as one of her favorite work-out music:

1. Stevie Wonder – "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)"

2. Beyonce – "Move Your Body"

3. Janelle Monae – "Tightrope"

4. Sara Bareilles – "Love Song"

5. Michael Jackson – "Unbreakable"

6. Willow Smith – "Whip My Hair"

7. Beyonce – "I Was Here"

8. Chubb Rock – "Treat 'Em Right"

9. Ledisi – "Thank You"

10. Jennifer Lopez – "Get Right"

http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2012/05/michelle-obamas-workout-playlist-123414.html

I remember that a kid asked Michelle what music she likes at one of children's events in the White House. She said Stevie Wonder and some others. Then another kid shouted "how about Michael Jackson?" Michelle then said "yes, I listen to Michael's music too."

I'm impressed that Michalle picked Unbreakable - a song not even casual fan would know.

I remember that a kid asked Michelle what music she likes at one of children's events in the White House. She said Stevie Wonder and some others. Then another kid shouted "how about Michael Jackson?" Michelle then said "yes, I listen to Michael's music too."

I'm impressed that Michalle picked Unbreakable - a song not even casual fan would know.

Exactly! It's nice to see Invincible get more recognition...I especially love Michael's falsetto parts :D

Exactly! It's nice to see Invincible get more recognition...I especially love Michael's falsetto parts :D

I adore Invincible. It doesn't matter how down I feel, whenever I'm done listening Unbreakable/Heartbreaker/Invincible, I feel energized!!!

I can totally understand why the first lady likes to work out to Unbreakable. :lol:

Oh yeah. Mr. President can sing and dance. A man of many talents.
And actually, Michael and his music can be referenced in some way in every decade since the 60's.

It's cool to see a lesser known song of MJ's make the First Lady's work out playlist. :D

Last edited:
Did you guys notice how he referred to him as "Michael" instead of his full name?
I know everyone knew who he was talking about but still, that was odd to me.
Like he knew him first hand?
Heck, I refer to Michael like I know him personally too. :)
I like to feel that in many ways, I do.

Michael is synonymous to the moonwalk. So the way Mr. Obama said it,
it goes without saying who he is talking about.

I love the way he said "Michael" instead of "Michael Jackson" :)

Yes, I love that too. In music there is only one "Michael" the best of all time!

Also, I am impressed that Mrs. Obama mentioned Unbreakable as her workout song since that song was not even a single! Anytime anybody famous mentions Michael, whether I care for them or not, I just love love it!!

too little, too late! when Michael died Obama didn't have anything to say...

Oh, he said something....

Today, Obama offered his public reaction, praising the legacy of Jackson -- while also noting the troubling aspects of his life.
"
Michael Jackson is -- will go down in history as one of the greatest entertainers," he said. "I grew up on his music, still have all his stuff on my iPod. You know, I think his brilliance as a performer also was paired with a tragic and in many ways sad personal life. But, you know, I am glad to see that he is being remembered primarily for the great joy that he brought to a lot of people through his extraordinary gifts as an entertainer."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2009/07/02/4433842-obama-on-michael-jacksons-death?lite

Last edited:
Oh, he said something....

Today, Obama offered his public reaction, praising the legacy of Jackson -- while also noting the troubling aspects of his life.
"

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2009/07/02/4433842-obama-on-michael-jacksons-death?lite

Yes, I remember that's what President Obama said after Michael's passing. While it's not the most touching eulogy, it's far from disrespectful. I don't see Obama brought up negativity intentionally. He acknowledged the sad and tragic events in Michael's life. Even Michael himself admitted there were both sadness and happiness in different time of his life. But, he also praised Michael's talents.

So, I don't quite understand why some of you are saying he did too little? What do we expect from Obama, a sitting U.S president, who is not necessarily a Michael Jackson fan? Even if he didn't say a word, it doesn't mean he's disrespectful.

Yes, I remember that's what President Obama said after Michael's passing. While it's not the most touching eulogy, it's far from disrespectful. I don't see Obama brought up negativity intentionally. He acknowledged the sad and tragic events in Michael's life. Even Michael himself admitted there were both sadness and happiness in different time of his life. But, he also praised Michael's talents.

So, I don't quite understand why some of you are saying he did too little? What do we expect from Obama, a sitting U.S president, who is not necessarily a Michael Jackson fan? Even if he didn't say a word, it doesn't mean he's disrespectful.

President Obama's silence was deafening when MJ passed. He wasn't exactly a profile in courage. First words from his white house, came from the former press secretary who insulted MJ. The black community shamed the president to say something. Notice how he acknowdledge Donna Summers passing right away.? He did likewise with other famous names.

Can't fathom other presidents taking so long to recognise the passing of a mega icon. Nonetheless will vote for him.

President Obama's silence was deafening when MJ passed. He wasn't exactly a profile in courage. First words from his white house, came from the former press secretary who insulted MJ. The black community shamed the president to say something. Notice how he acknowdledge Donna Summers passing right away.? He did likewise with other famous names.

Can't fathom other presidents taking so long to recognise the passing of a mega icon. Nonetheless will vote for him.

Yes, I also remember the complaints from the black community on the lack of word from the president. Obama isn't a profile of courage, neither is most politicians these days. Unfortunately, this is how the political climate has evoled. Today's politicians are not the like of the founding fathers or the Roosevelt's. They are professional politicians. Everything is calculated.

Nonetheless, this is how I draw the line. As long as he remained respectful, then I have no issue with. Remember Peter King, the Congressman from New York. He said many disgusting things shortly after Michael's passing. He took advantage of a tragedy and tried to please the right wing conservatives. This is what I have issue with.

I personally think Obama owes his presidency partially to Michael. Without Michael trailblazing the path decades ago, Obama might not even be able to win the general election. However, if Obama himself doesnt see it this way. I have no problem. Not everyone has to be a fan or fond of Michael.

Yes, I also remember the complaints from the black community on the lack of word from the president. Obama isn't a profile of courage, neither is most politicians these days. Unfortunately, this is how the political climate has evoled. Today's politicians are not the like of the founding fathers or the Roosevelt's. They are professional politicians. Everything is calculated.

Nonetheless, this is how I draw the line. As long as he remained respectful, then I have no issue with. Remember Peter King, the Congressman from New York. He said many disgusting things shortly after Michael's passing. He took advantage of a tragedy and tried to please the right wing conservatives. This is what I have issue with.

I personally think Obama owes his presidency partially to Michael. Without Michael trailblazing the path decades ago, Obama might not even be able to win the general election. However, if Obama himself doesnt see it this way. I have no problem. Not everyone has to be a fan or fond of Michael.

Media the only people i hate more than politicans. Peter King is an idiot. And most people know it, except that small section of long island that repeatedly sends him to congress.

Back to Obama.... Venting my petty gripe with the president pales in comparison to what's at stake.

Honestly and I hope no one gets mad at me but I don't think Obama wanted to say anything about Michael's death. Just like his pal Oprah. But people kept asking so they did.

It's nice he mentions Michael in his speech here but it feels fake or something. I don't know why all of a sudden he wants to mention Michael. I understand he is talking about when he graduated. I am sorry.

Back