BAD25 --- TV-Ads

Yeah
I think the final version will be much much better...
With a bit more MJ!

Sorry to say... no MJ (unless you want to count the microsecond of a quick flash of a drawing of him on a can). What in the heck is going on????? Why won't they show him, instead of a bunch of people we could care less about... dancing.

Pepsi should run again on TV the 80's commercials with Michael, the videos were amazing! the young generation should have this chance to see how a great commercial looked like:)

Sorry to say... no MJ (unless you want to count the microsecond of a quick flash of a drawing of him on a can). What in the heck is going on????? Why won't they show him, instead of a bunch of people we could care less about... dancing.
Unless you are chinese, or well versed in chinese pop culture, you are supposed to know them.

This is a local, not a global, advertisement. Made by & directed at the Chinese market.

If not for the Internet, you would have never seen it...lol

People need to step back & chillax.

Pepsi should run again on TV the 80's commercials with Michael, the videos were amazing! the young generation should have this chance to see how a great commercial looked like:)

It would be so cool if they could make a DVD or BluRay with all the Michael Jackson pepsi commercials + Behind the scenes/making off footage...

I actually like it. And I think what I like most is that Bad sounds so fresh in the ad. Someone else mentioned it before, but the song was recorded in 1987, and in 2012 it still sounds fantastic. Genius. Simple as that.

I think the commercial is more for the culture of China, not how we want the commercial to be...

Unless you are chinese, or well versed in chinese pop culture, you are supposed to know them.

This is a local, not a global, advertisement. Made by & directed at the Chinese market.

If not for the Internet, you would have never seen it...lol

People need to step back & chillax.

Well, you are right. They could be very beloved in their country, and I hope they are happy with their new commercial, even if no Michael in it. It's irrelevant what I think of their commercial, because it's theirs. So, I worded my initial frustration wrong.

But when the newest commercial gets released, we will see if Lady Gaga or Beiber is dancing around and no Michael in sight. If so, I'll be back to complain. ;)

Well, you are right. They could be very beloved in their country, and I hope they are happy with their new commercial, even if no Michael in it. It's irrelevant what I think of their commercial, because it's theirs. So, I worded my initial frustration wrong.

I'm sure fans of those two pop stars are very happy. Chinese MJ fans, not so much.

Ever since the collaboration between Michael and Pepsi, starring in a Pepsi commercial is viewed as a proof of star status. Michael started the trend. In where I came from, only the top stars or the most promising stars are awarded Pepsi commerical contracts. It's almost like a prestige. That's why I know those two stars in the Chinese ad have to be very popular in China now, despite the fact that I don't know them. It's a HUGE promotion for them.

But when the newest commercial gets released, we will see if Lady Gaga or Beiber is dancing around and no Michael in sight. If so, I'll be back to complain. ;)

I don't think we'll see Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber. Most likely, we'll see Nicki Minaj rapping and "trying" to dance around. ;)

I'm sure fans of those two pop stars are very happy. Chinese MJ fans, not so much.

I don't think we'll see Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber. Most likely, we'll see Nicki Minaj rapping and "trying" to dance around. ;)

Oh, the horror!!:doh: Honestly, I'd much rather see Justin Bieber dancing in the Pepsi commercial, than Nicki M. At least Bieber loves Michael and always speaks highly of him as an inspiration.

Nicki Minaj - YIKES!:no:

Culture or not, it doesn't really matter....It's the 25th anniversary of the BAD album and there is no indication in this commercial that it has anything to do with an anniversary...To me, it's just MJ's song playing in a Chinese Pepsi commercial...

I'd say the same thing if the commercial was in Timbuktu...lol..

That's the point....It's more to promote that particular country's popular music stars....But isn't it supposed to be about Michael? I think that's where the frustration lies with the fans....

What's the use of striking a deal between Pepsi and this anniversary if they're only going to promote someone other than Michael? lol

Culture or not, it doesn't really matter....It's the 25th anniversary of the BAD album and there is no indication in this commercial that it has anything to do with an anniversary...To me, it's just MJ's song playing in a Chinese Pepsi commercial...

That's the point....It's more to promote that particular country's popular music stars....But isn't it supposed to be about Michael? I think that's where the frustration lies with the fans....

What's the use of striking a deal between Pepsi and this anniversary if they're only going to promote someone other than Michael? lol

Thank you for eloquently explaining what I was initially trying to. LOL!:yes:

Didn't the Estate and or Sony have to sign off on this Chinese AD?

Exactly! This particular Pepsi ad is supposed bo be related to Bad 25, right? The only place where Bad 25 is mentioned is at the very last second of the commercial. Bascially, if you blink your eye, it's gone.

When fans here ask "who are those people?" Fans don't mean to be disrespectful to the Chinese people. Again, keep in mind that we are not criticizing any random Chinese Pepsi ad. The context here is BAD 25 Pepsi ad. Of course, we know those two stars are HUGE in China now. It's Pepsi's tradition to hire big stars to be their spokeperson. Again, the trend is started by Michael. Fans are not insensitive or ignorant. I'm just disappointed that there isn't any image of Michael in an ad which he's supposed to be the star.

Exactly! This particular Pepsi ad is supposed bo be related to Bad 25, right? The only place where Bad 25 is mentioned is at the very last second of the commercial. Bascially, if you blink your eye, it's gone.

When fans here ask "who are those people?" Fans don't mean to be disrespectful to the Chinese people. Again, keep in mind that we are not criticizing any random Chinese Pepsi ad. The context here is BAD 25 Pepsi ad. Of course, we know those two stars are HUGE in China now. It's Pepsi's tradition to hire big stars to be their spokeperson. Again, the trend is started by Michael. Fans are not insensitive or ignorant. I'm just disappointed that there isn't any image of Michael in an ad which he's supposed to be the star.

Not even disappointment or negativity (although I am disappointed)...It's just puzzling and we're wondering why they've chosen to do the commercials this way...that's all...

They could have incorporated new stars with Michael's old commercials....Do a montage of sorts, I don't know...I mean, I figured that'd be the obvious choice if they're going to commemorate the BAD album...

Its a PEPSI commercial, promoting the soda drink. It has nothing to do with bad 25th album.
the reason they used Bad as theme is because the 25th campagne they did with estate. but they don't have to show MJs face or mention the albums anniversary at all. cause this is regular commercial. as you see the can wasn't the one they are doing for the anniversary. this commercial isn't part of the 25th campagne.
so why you all bother?
maybe someone who speak chinesse can say whts writen in the end.

Its a PEPSI commercial, promoting the soda drink. It has nothing to do with bad 25th album.
the reason they used Bad as theme is because the 25th campagne they did with estate. but they don't have to show MJs face or mention the albums anniversary at all. cause this is regular commercial. as you see the can wasn't the one they are doing for the anniversary. this commercial isn't part of the 25th campagne.
so why you all bother?

So why are we even introducing it as news then on an MJ forum if it's apparently not supposed to have anything to do with the BAD album? That doesn't make sense..

so why you all bother?
maybe someone who speak chinesse can say whts writen in the end.

Yes, it's a PEPSI commercial. We all know that. But, it is also related to Bad 25.

At the very end of the commercial, it said "Commemorate the 25th anniversary of Bad album. Enter raffle to win limited edition Michael Jackson souvenir." I'm fluent in Chinese.

So, how is it just a regular commercial? Seriously, if it's a regular Pepsi ad that has nothing to do with Bad 25, why do we have a thread here in the Bad 25 subsection of a Michael Jackson forum? I don't see we have a thread about the Sofia Vegara/David Beckham diet Pepsi commercial currently running in the US. I honestly wouldn't care if it's just a regular Chinese ad which has nothing to do with Bad 25, unless it's mind-blowingly good.

If I look at it as just a regular Pepsi ad, it's pretty good. It's well shot. The special effect is decent.

If I look at it as an effort to promote Bad 25, then I'm disappointed. I feel it's more a vehicle for the two Chinese stars.

Didn't the Estate and or Sony have to sign off on this Chinese AD?

No, Sony did not have to sign off on the Chinese ad. Sony has nothing to do with it. This is an agreement between the Estate and Pepsi.

I assume Pepsi doesn't need the Estate final approval neither. But, I guess it all depended on terms of agreement. I highly doubt Pepsi would give the Estate the power to veto. But, I think the Estate would demand that Michael's image could not be portrayed negatively and add some similar protective clause in the contract.

They could have incorporated new stars with Michael's old commercials....Do a montage of sorts, I don't know...I mean, I figured that'd be the obvious choice if they're going to commemorate the BAD album...

IKR. It'd be cool if Michael's old commercials can somehow be incorporated. May be the new stars can do a chase sequence with Michael, etc...

Last edited:
tnx for the translation.
but thats how i see it. who knows what the estate allowed pepsi to use. its not like they can use video footage without permission. maybe they only are allowed to use the song.
OR its a pre-commercial, till the 25th anniversary officially starts.
the can with MJ isn't shown at all.
and the key word is "Commemorate". so that to me explanes why no mj , but only kids doind his moves. Ok, it isnt regular ad.

And here it happens the same thing again, what i don't understand.
Why you all always expect everything to be published promoted big time? those times are over and not necessary.

Pepsi partners with the estate for the 25th anniversary. cans are going to be released. not everywhere and in limited number. MJs song is used and the anniversary is mentioned in the end of the ad. you again expect biiiiiig promo campagne, but for what?
that cost MONEY and didn't you all inderstand, the estate sony and now pepsi don't see reason to spend much money, cause cost won't be covered.

why do we have thread? well, thats what i'm asking myself.

Last edited:
tnx for the translation.
but thats how i see it. who knows what the estate allowed pepsi to use. its not like they can use video footage without permission. maybe they only are allowed to use the song.
OR its a pre-commercial, till the 25th anniversary officially starts.
the can with MJ isn't shown at all.

I'm pretty sure Pepsi can use Michael's old commercial. Footage of the Billie Jean and Bad Pepsi commericals were utilized in the U.S. X-Factor Pepsi ad.

As for whether it's a pre-commercial? Possibly. I hope so.

And here it happens the same thing again, what i don't understand.
Why you all always expect everything to be published promoted big time? those times are over and not necessary.

Pepsi partners with the estate for the 25th anniversary. cans are going to be released. not everywhere and in limited number. MJs song is used and the anniversary is mentioned in the end of the ad. you again expect biiiiiig promo campagne, but for what?
that cost MONEY and didn't you all inderstand, the estate sony and now pepsi don't see reason to spend much money, cause cost won't be covered.

why do we have thread? well, thats what i'm asking myself.

You brought up a good point. Sometimes, I do need to remind myself to lower my expectations. The more the hypes, the bigger the disappointment. In this particular case, we've already had multiple threads on an unconfirmed project.

You know... It's just quite difficult to accept that Michael's Bad 25 is just a footnote now, when it was the biggest music event in 1987. Sigh... the good old days.

When a project is released there could be multiple promotion events. In this instance Estate is teaming up with Pepsi to create more awareness. Pepsi is not trying to sell Bad 25 album or DVD or t-shirts whatever. Pepsi is trying to sell Pepsi. Pepsi is starting and focusing this campaign in China because it's a billion people market and Pepsi is losing the market to Coke. So they are trying to get Chinese people to buy Pepsi so they compete with Coke. Both the artists in the commercial as well as Michael's music and the limited edition souvenirs are to motivate people. Estate gives the Bad song and mention of Bad 25 in a commercial because that also advertises the Bad 25 anniversary and reminds the songs to people without a dime out of Estate's pocket.

Why do we post this stuff on here? Well because as MJ fans we are interested in the whole picture and anything and everything related to Bad 25 anniversary. For example when / if a US specific promotion happens we will post it too and not say "oh this doesn't apply to us as a whole".

As for Michael's image : you have to admit that Estate is not using Michael's pictures etc a lot. All of the projects ( Michael, Cirque, Immortal, Pepsi Cans) had drawings / art and such and not real pictures. Well perhaps Estate is holding on the most valuable asset - Michael himself- for the a lot more better and bigger things than Pepsi partnership.

You know... It's just quite difficult to accept that Michael's Bad 25 is just a footnote now, when it was the biggest music event in 1987. Sigh... the good old days.

Yup, that's the reality now...I don't have much expectation anymore...

I'm not stressing over commercials, I don't even watch TV...lol...

I'm just hoping for the tour release....and hoping that we won't be disappointed with that :)

When a project is released there could be multiple promotion events. In this instance Estate is teaming up with Pepsi to create more awareness. Pepsi is not trying to sell Bad 25 album or DVD or t-shirts whatever. Pepsi is trying to sell Pepsi. Pepsi is starting and focusing this campaign in China because it's a billion people market and Pepsi is losing the market to Coke. So they are trying to get Chinese people to buy Pepsi so they compete with Coke. Both the artists in the commercial as well as Michael's music and the limited edition souvenirs are to motivate people. Estate gives the Bad song and mention of Bad 25 in a commercial because that also advertises the Bad 25 anniversary and reminds the songs to people without a dime out of Estate's pocket.

I thought people DO understand that Pepsi is trying to sell more Pepsi. As a matter of fact, Pepsi is not starting, but started focusing on the Chinese market a long time ago. The rivalry between Pepsi and Coke is nothing new.

People are not having question on why Pepsi is not selling Bad album or Bad DVD, but on why Michael's appeal is not used more extensively on an advertisement that is being tied-in to Bad 25.

Why do we post this stuff on here? Well because as MJ fans we are interested in the whole picture and anything and everything related to Bad 25 anniversary. For example when / if a US specific promotion happens we will post it too and not say "oh this doesn't apply to us as a whole".

And, there is nothing wrong with it. Fans, including myself, just need to better manage our expectations.

As for Michael's image : you have to admit that Estate is not using Michael's pictures etc a lot. All of the projects ( Michael, Cirque, Immortal, Pepsi Cans) had drawings / art and such and not real pictures. Well perhaps Estate is holding on the most valuable asset - Michael himself- for the a lot more better and bigger things than Pepsi partnership.

Oh... I surely hope so. I hope there will be better projects coming up. I thought the Estate doesn't use Michael's pictures, especially pictures of mature Michael, a lot because it's being very conservative. The Estate doesn't want to remind people Michael's real life troubles. It wants people to remember the "iconic" Michael. You know, the tip toe, the spin, the moonwalk. Hopefully, you are right. Save the best for something more worthy.

They dont even have the BAD25 Pepsi Cans that they are suppose to be promoting in the add ??
Thats just seems very odd being they are suppose to be trying to sell One Billion KIng Of Pop Pepsi's .
They should have least shown th MJ Pepsi Cans flying around . That would be awesome to see.

WHY didnt they use the MJ BAD 25 Pepsi Cans in the Chinese Add? :(
$(KGrHqJ,!jIE-NpeIW11BPpou9p0+!~~60_1.JPG

Back