Attorneys Tom Mesereau & Susan Yu honor the memory of Michael Jackson

thank you for sharing the video!!

but why does the Pastor's last name have to be Murray? :(

Aw, how nice. Very sweet, I love it. :)

I love that quote "The man's innocent. He always was." Very true words.

Thanks for posting.

I wish it would be possible somehow for T-Mez to work on MJ's behalf now.

Me too. Mez is great. That is the best thing Randy did for his brother - bringing Tom Mesereau into MJs life.

this was written in july:

http://www.mesereauyu.com/article36.html

defendmj.jpg
DEFENDING MICHAEL
by Thomas A Mesereau Jr.
Forum Column, Los Angeles Daily Journal, July 1st, 2009
The Michael Jackson trial was unique. More accredited media covered these proceedings than the O.J. Simpson and Scott Peterson trials combined. When the verdicts were reached, people in every capital around the world were riveted to their radios, computers and televisions. The "King of Pop" was more popular than anyone, including Elvis Presley.
Jay Leno, Chris Tucker, Macaulay Culkin, George Lopez and lesser-known celebrities testified. Larry King testified outside the presence of the jury. The trial lasted five months with more than 140 witnesses appearing. Twenty-four-hour coverage, including actors re-enacting the proceedings, emphasized the trial's popularity.
When more than 70 Santa Barbara sheriffs raided Neverland Ranch in November 2003, I was driving to Los Angeles from Northern California. I was ending a nine day vacation and ready to resume preparation for the Robert Blake murder trial, set for February 2004. My phone started ringing off the hook with frantic requests that I travel to Las Vegas and defend Michael. I refused, because I did not think I could handle the two cases at once.
After jury selection began in the Blake case, the client and I had a severe disagreement that Judge Darlene Schemp could not resolve. Mercifully, she granted my motion to withdraw. Within a short period, Michael's brother Randy called me to, again, see if I would defend his brother. I flew to Florida, where I met Jackson for the first time.
Upon arriving, I was told by Michael and Randy that they had spoken with Johnnie Cochran in the hospital. According to them, Johnnie said I was the one who could win. I knew Johnnie, but he was not a close friend. I was quite surprised that he would speak so glowingly about me.
Three weeks later, I was told that Michael wanted me and my law firm partner, Susan Yu, to defend him. I returned to Florida and firmed up the understanding. The adventure began.
When I first met Michael, he said virtually nothing. He sat at a distance and observed others field questions. I didn't know if he was intentionally being mysterious or simply observing in his own way. At that point, I had little information from which to judge whether he could possibly have committed the alleged crimes.
My retention generated enormous media coverage. One anti-Jackson reporter immediately appeared on "The Today Show" to announce that I had an African-American girlfriend and attended a black church. The lawyers I replaced did not depart gracefully. One appeared on "Good Morning America" to say he had left voluntarily because less than desirable people surrounded Michael. Certain tabloid shows, like those hosted by Geraldo Rivera and Bill O'Reilly, criticized my appearance. I assumed they were "in the pocket" of prior counsel. This was my baptism.
Initially, Michael was very inaccessible. I scoured every used bookstore and Website for books and articles about his life and character. I read all of them, sometimes twice. My meetings with him confirmed my suspicions about these charges. He was a gentle, kind soul. Sensitive, intuitive and creative, it seemed inconceivable that he could be the monster his enemies portrayed him as.
Much has been made about the child molestation charges. Little has been said about the other claims. The prosecution alleged that Jackson masterminded a conspiracy to falsely imprison a family, abduct children and commit criminal extortion. I can assure you that Michael was not capable of even imagining such behavior. But the more I spoke with him about the alleged molestation charges, the more firm I became in my belief that they were part of a universe of money-making opportunities created by charlatans.
During my first court appearance in Santa Maria, the entire Jackson family appeared dressed in white. They were unified, exquisite and powerful in their message of innocence. I delivered my first statement to the media regarding his innocence and my respect for the court and community. My statement included words, to the effect, that this case was not about "lawyers, or anyone else, becoming celebrities."
These words were designed to change the atmosphere surrounding the defense and, of lesser importance, to hurl a barb at prior counsel. I had not liked the carnival atmosphere surrounding Jackson's defense lawyers. In my opinion, they repeatedly advertised their absolute delight at being in the middle of the circus. Their public statements were, to me, self-serving and amateurish. Michael and Randy Jackson were very suspicious of them. My anti-lawyer-like comments generated controversy. But, a new firm die had been cast. My Irish grandmothers smiled from the heavens!
The prosecutors had an enormous advantage. Two grand juries in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara had investigated Jackson in the early 1990s. Nobody was charged. A third grand jury indicted him in 2004.
During the interim, District Attorney Tom Sneddon had traveled to at least two countries, Australia and Canada, searching for victims. The Santa Barbara Sheriff's Department had a Web site seeking information on Michael.
The trial judge wanted to waste little time. The politics surrounding the defense were horrific. Numerous lawyers, most of them mediocre at best, were constantly trying to get to Michael to undermine me. The media smelled enormous ratings and revenue in a conviction. They were like a cloud of locusts, constantly descending on any weakness they spotted or created. There were numerous efforts to discredit me. Former girlfriends called to say they had been approached for unsavory information. I received calls from alleged "journalists" promising me favors for inside information. Tabloid sensationalism was at a premium.
The trial was carnival-like. Mountains were made out of molehills. For example, Jackson hurt his back one morning and went to the hospital. I informed Judge Melville immediately. His message was firm. If Michael did not appear forthwith, bail would evaporate. I instructed him to rush to court in whatever he was wearing. His pajama bottoms became a media feast. But, they had no bearing on the trial or verdict. The jury foreman later informed me that no juror even noticed Michael's pants, or lack thereof. This case was characterized by shock, crisis and confusion.
On numerous occasions, I was summoned to Neverland to handle searches, disputes and a variety of crises. Michael seemed to always have a new "guru," adviser or lawyer who virtually guaranteed a dismissal or acquittal. It was a veritable "sea of fools." But the effort it took to handle these crises was wasted time.
The trial was characterized by contentious legal rulings. For example, the trial judge allowed the following: The prosecution was permitted to start its case by showing a scurrilous, slanted British documentary that claimed Michael was a pedophile. The prosecution claimed this was evidence of "motive."
The prosecution was permitted to introduce evidence that Jackson had settled other claims of child molestation in civil court. The actual dollar amounts were not admitted (as if anyone hadn't heard them!). It was also permitted to introduce evidence of alleged prior similar acts of child molestation. Prosecutors were permitted to introduce such evidence extending back 10 years. As icing on the cake, the court permitted them to call third-party witnesses who watched the alleged acts without any requirement that the actual alleged victims testify.
During the prosecution's rebuttal, the court permitted the prosecutors to play a police interview tape of the alleged victim. Of course, this was rank hearsay. The theory of admissibility was that I had challenged the demeanor of the alleged victim and the tape was relevant to rebut.
As a measure of fairness, Melville permitted the defense to play "outtakes" of the interview footage that were edited out of the British documentary. In these interviews, Jackson denied abusing children.
Five lawyers testified. Three were called by the prosecution and two by the defense. I have always believed that lawyers are the easiest witnesses to discredit. Throw them any measure of flattery and the seeds of arrogance are sown.
We had more good days in this trial than anyone can reasonably expect. But the public never saw how many prosecution witnesses were scorched on cross-examination. The judge imposed a gag order, which I supported. While this permitted more flexibility in court, it made the trial easily distorted by self-serving pundits.
I would often return to my duplex, turn on the TV and turn apoplectic at what was being reported. Quite often, former prosecutors in New York would wax passionately about how a witness behaved. Their theatrics were totally lacking in substance or accuracy. I thought we were winning all along. But the media reported the very opposite. And, of course, jealous, shallow legal pundits had a field day criticizing my performance. To them, God help any lawyer who engaged in unconventional trial behavior. Such hearsay merited capital punishment.
From the outset, I did everything I could to remove race from the case. I immediately removed the Nation of Islam from Jackson's public persona and asked that his father refrain from commenting on race in the media. It became clear that Michael was a person who brought all races together. Unfortunately, some of the mediocrities who surrounded him wanted to profit through racial conflict. This was a constant source of tension.
My reaction to this cauldron was stoicism and a hermit-like existence. Our team lived in condominiums far from the media hotels, restaurants and bars. I was in bed at 7:30 most evenings with a 3 a.m. start. Our staff worked all night updating witness books and performing other chores. Because they had a key to my apartment, the door would open virtually every hour with updated binders appearing miraculously on my stairwell. We lived like this for six months.
In the wake of his passing, I am haunted by certain late-night phone calls I received from Michael. Childlike, kindhearted and terrified, Michael begged me not to allow corrupt enemies to co-opt my performance. He seemed skeptical about any lawyer truly acting in an honorable, professional manner. I repeatedly assured him that my background had more to do with civil rights than it did Hollywood. The world's most famous celebrity was not accustomed to honest, decent representation.
The 14 acquittals were tantamount to complete legal vindication. Nevertheless, I write this with a heavy heart. Michael was one of the kindest, nicest people I ever met. His wistful desire to heal the world with love, music and artistry clashed horribly with the barbaric way he was exploited. The world is a far better place because of him.
Thomas A. Mesereau Jr. is a partner in the firm of Mesereau & Yu Los Angeles. He was lead trial counsel in the trial of Michael Jackson in 2005.
Thousands of :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: for Mesereau!!!!

Thanks for posting!!! :wild:

I remember making a screenshot from that video after the trial was over. I had that screenshot for probably half a year in my livejournal userinfo.

Edit. found it!

michael.jpg

Watching the video posted above I don't feel that the people in the church gave Michael much love... Some seem to not even care that Michael walks past them... I don't know... I would have stood up and given him a big warm hug and told him that everything would be alright and that I believed in him...

I mean, somehow I expect pandamonium everywhere Michael Jackson, the Living Legend (!!!), turns up...

I hope that now he is surrounded by LOVE only...

Oxman is now taking credit for the 2005 trial victory, after an MJ fan called him out on his page.

From his facebook:
Mr.Oxman must use discretion as to what he can share with the fans and the media. When it comes to the litigation things are often much more complicated than they appear on the surface. Rest assured that Mr.Oxman has been very busy putting the pieces of this mystery together, just as he did when he uncovered the evidence that proved Michael Jackson was innocent in 2005, which is a little known fact. Thank you for understanding.

Esther, Mr.Oxman did ALL of the RESEARCH and then was able to piece it together to prove that Michael was innocent. It is ALL Mr.Oxman's evidence that TM used in the trial and once he had it, he no longer wanted Mr.Oxman in the picture. Further more it was Mr. Oxman who brought TM onto the case. Mr.Oxman worked directly for MJ, he never worked for ... See More TM so he could not be fired by TM and he was not fired by MJ. Mr.Oxman continued to work for MJ even when he was no longer attending court due to the conflict with TM. I know all of this to be the truth. Mr.Oxman has remained quiet about it for years, but I am tired of reading the lies that are out there.

Further more how rude of you to come onto Mr.Oxman's page and insult him. If you think so little of him then leave the page and go become of fan of TM. I am sure that he is working very hard for the cause of Justice for Michael! In fact he has been doing a great job stating Michael's death is nothing more than a manslaughter case.

to bad that the administrator of that fb deleted all the post with the facts i had put up there.....including the one with the court record. I guess that person didn't like that people could check the facts for themselfs in all the posts i made....

to bad that the administrator of that fb deleted all the post with the facts i had put up there.....including the one with the court record. I guess that person didn't like that people could check the facts for themselfs in all the posts i made....

Oh, you are the "Esther" who called that clown out? Good for you.

Can you put the facts here? Many of the Oxman & Karen Fake' pawns visit these forums.

We should bombard them with the truth...until they can no longer look away.

ETA
Esther, I just visited your webpage. I am glad you are not pushing the conspiracy theory angle. i refuse to read or participate in any Justice 4 MJ campaign that encourages this nonsense.

Last edited:
Oxman is now taking credit for the 2005 trial victory, after an MJ fan called him out on his page.

From his facebook:
Mr.Oxman must use discretion as to what he can share with the fans and the media. When it comes to the litigation things are often much more complicated than they appear on the surface. Rest assured that Mr.Oxman has been very busy putting the pieces of this mystery together, just as he did when he uncovered the evidence that proved Michael Jackson was innocent in 2005, which is a little known fact. Thank you for understanding.

Esther, Mr.Oxman did ALL of the RESEARCH and then was able to piece it together to prove that Michael was innocent. It is ALL Mr.Oxman's evidence that TM used in the trial and once he had it, he no longer wanted Mr.Oxman in the picture. Further more it was Mr. Oxman who brought TM onto the case. Mr.Oxman worked directly for MJ, he never worked for ... See More TM so he could not be fired by TM and he was not fired by MJ. Mr.Oxman continued to work for MJ even when he was no longer attending court due to the conflict with TM. I know all of this to be the truth. Mr.Oxman has remained quiet about it for years, but I am tired of reading the lies that are out there.

Further more how rude of you to come onto Mr.Oxman's page and insult him. If you think so little of him then leave the page and go become of fan of TM. I am sure that he is working very hard for the cause of Justice for Michael! In fact he has been doing a great job stating Michael's death is nothing more than a manslaughter case.

How DARE they imply that about Mez!!!:mat: He's such a humble guy, he always acknowledges others that helped him win the case, he would never take credit for anyone's work! How quickly did they forget that Mez defended Michael even after the paycheques stopped coming and all he's done for Michael, just because Oxman's uninformed opinion suits their silly theories! Makes me mad!

Love to Mez!:wub:

How DARE they imply that about Mez!!!:mat: He's such a humble guy, he always acknowledges others that helped him win the case, he would never take credit for anyone's work! How quickly did they forget that Mez defended Michael even after the paycheques stopped coming and all he's done for Michael, just because Oxman's uninformed opinion suits their silly theories! Makes me mad!

Love to Mez!:wub:

Exactly! Eugh, why can't he just disappear, seriously.

Urgh T-Mez is awesome and always believed in Michael. He still goes on TV to talk about him and how he wants justice for Michael. Typical Oxman trying to take credit for something he never did. He's an entertainment lawyer-its completely different to T-Mez's field of criminal defense.

“Oxman had come to the case as Randy Jackson’s lawyer from previous domestic skirmishes within the Jackson family. But he had no experience in criminal defense matters, and often slept through crucial sessions in Jackson’s child molestation case.” [Fox News]

“Michael Jackson hasn’t been dead three hours and Brian Oxman is on TV everywhere being identified as the attorney for the singer or his family. He is not. Brian Oxman was fired by Thomas Mesereau from Michael’s trial in 2005. I was there. He has no knowledge of Michael’s life for the last several years. Oxman sued Jackson looking for legal fees, and lost.” [Hollywood Reporter]

Justice for Michael? Or looking for media attention at any cost?
I get the impression that Oxman is the one trying to take credit for work that others have done. Mez wanted to accquit Michael, if Oxman was so CRUCIAL to the defense he would have never gotten rid of him. Mez wasn't the one looking for media attention, he wanted to get the work done, he avoided the media, even the fans, until the end of the trial. It was never about him, it was always about acquital of an innocent man.
And that Oxman gathered some evidence? Well, so did many others, that's called 'team work', that's how it works in trials. We owe much much more to the investigators, Scott Ross & Jesus Costello than Oxman when it comes to evidence gathering.
And as for Mez doing a good job stating it's 'only a manslaughter case', have they been listening?! He was asked for advice from legal point of view, he always says he's not on the case, he hasn't seen the evidence, he gives purely the legal perspective of things AS FAR AS HE KNOWS. And the one time he got personal, we got this - "He (Murray) deserves a fair trial, but convict him. We lost a wonderful person."
And just because he doesn't make a big hoohah around himself to get his face on tv and spewing baseless crap like Oxman does, doesn't mean he doesn't want justice for Michael like the rest of us! He lost a friend, ffs!

Can't stand Mez bashing.:8-25-03bomb:

That's wonderful of them to do. Mesereau especially has always been a class act when it comes to MJ and continues to be. He's a good man and I have nothing but respect for him.

Bless TM and SY 2 very good people who always believed in Michael and his innoncence. Truly happy those 2 were the ones who represented him. They always have had such kind words about Michael.

Can you put the facts here? Many of the Oxman & Karen Fake' pawns visit these forums.

We should bombard them with the truth...until the can no longer look away.

ETA
Esther, I just visited your webpage. I am glad you are not pushing the conspiracy theory angle. i refuse to read or participate in any Justice 4 MJ campaign that encourages this nonsense.

I'd also like to see those facts

We should bombard them with the truth...until the can no longer look away.

ETA

Yep i'm the "Esther" btw it's my real name....although not many believe it because so many people use a nickname ....LOL

What i posted on Oxman's page was very simple...

When he stated he was the one winning the case in 2005, I said excuse me but you didn't win that case it was Tmez who won that case. And Tmez won that case because his team investigated the whole thing and Tmez stood 100% behind Michael by believing in his innocence instead of making love to the press...And that Oxman got fired by Michael and TMez on april 21st 2005 and that people can check that Oxman was no longer a part of the team. The court documents for that were released on April 25th 2005 under casenumber
1133603 ( http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0425052oxman1.html )

This person also asked how was i different than the people trashing MJ...And i told him right away i never trashed MJ in my life...Mr Oxman is doing a pretty good job trashing MJ all by himself by calling Michael an addict the whole time even though the autopsy report proofs him wrong. And i said Oxman is the one taking every story to the tabloids and that he knows that Michael hated the tabloids...now for somebody claiming to be a friend and fight for justice going to the tabs is the most disrespectfull way toward michael i can possibly imagne.

Than this person said it was Oxman who got Tmez on board and that what is written in a court document doesn't represent the truth. So i said to this person...excuse me??? Oxman isn't the one who contacted Tmez it was Randy...and i asked him regarding his comment if that document was false and untrue than.

After that i got kicked and my posts got deleted. So i really didn't say that much to Oxman and the few things i said are common knowledge and can be checked....Looks like the truth is hurtfull for some people.

I've written a blog where i've put down my thought about Oxman as well...you can find that blog at: http://michaelsmurder.blogspot.com/

As far as our website...yes we keep away from the conspiracy theories etc because in our opinion there is no proof for that and the team i work with only wants to try to get to the truth. That however doesn't mean the teammembers don't have there own thoughts about what's happend, but we are not gonna accuse people without proof and we try to keep an open mind as much as possible. And we want to fight for justice respectfully and with dignety...shouting out accusations you can't proof don't help ...

Yep i'm the "Esther" btw it's my real name....although not many believe it because so many people use a nickname ....LOL

When he stated he was the one winning the case in 2005, I said excuse me but you didn't win that case it was Tmez who won that case. And Tmez won that case because his team investigated the whole thing and Tmez stood 100% behind Michael by believing in his innocence instead of making love to the press...And that Oxman got fired by Michael and TMez on april 21st 2005 and that people can check that Oxman was no longer a part of the team. The court documents for that were released on April 25th 2005 under casenumber

This person also asked how was i different than the people trashing MJ...And i told him right away i never trashed MJ in my life...Mr Oxman is doing a pretty good job trashing MJ all by himself by calling Michael an addict the whole time even though the autopsy report proofs him wrong. And i said Oxman is the one taking every story to the tabloids and that he knows that Michael hated the tabloids...now for somebody claiming to be a friend and fight for justice going to the tabs is the most disrespectfull way toward michael i can possibly imagne.

Than this person said it was Oxman who got Tmez on board and that what is written in a court document doesn't represent the truth. So i said to this person...excuse me??? Oxman isn't the one who contacted Tmez it was Randy...and i asked him regarding his comment if that document was false and untrue than.

After that i got kicked and my posts got deleted. So i really didn't say that much to Oxman and the few things i said are common knowledge and can be checked....Looks like the truth is hurtfull for some people.

I've written a blog where i've put down my thought about Oxman as well...you can find that blog at: http://michaelsmurder.blogspot.com/

As far as our website...yes we keep away from the conspiracy theories etc because in our opinion there is no proof for that and the team i work with only wants to try to get to the truth. That however doesn't mean the teammembers don't have there own thoughts about what's happend, but we are not gonna accuse people without proof and we try to keep an open mind as much as possible. And we want to fight for justice respectfully and with dignety...shouting out accusations you can't proof don't help ...

Thank you Esther.

I just sent the link to your blog to an Oxman fan. After I showed him/her the smoking gun report, s/he claimed ...well, let me post the tweet s/he sent me:

TM had no authority to file those papers , Oxman didn't work for him. Oxman worked directly for Michael and was not fired.

I told her if MJ wanted BO on his team, TM wouldn't have filed the papers to begin with.

Sad to see how gullible some are...and they are the most vocal. They will look back in a few years and feel so stupid...

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your remarks Esther. I suspect 'The Administrator' who directed those comments at you is Oxman himself.

His statements against Mesereau (and Katherine back in November when she dropped her objections to the estate executors) were shocking and I'm surprised that more fans haven't challenged him about that. He recently went into a public forum and misstated the autopsy findings claiming Michael had 'bronchitis and pneumonia' - he was actually found to have bronchiolitis and pneumonitis - totally different. He has very little credibility in my eyes and I'm personally also disappointed (but not surprised) by his agenda against the estate executors, Branca in particular.

Anyway, have drifted off topic...much respect to Mesereau and Yu - they are a class outfit. The tribute to Michael on their website is very touching.

Last edited:

Way to go Esther. Kudos to you for standing up to Mr. Oxman. :clapping: I pray for these people in that they experience an awakening very soon and realize the impact of their actions. I've been reading your blog on http://michaelsmurder.blogspot.com/. Peace and love...:angel::wub:

I appreciate that Mesereau & Yu had the courage and integrity to take on the defense of MJ in that time when many lesser and brainwashed individuals wouldn't get near him for fear that the witch hunt could be contagious.

So many people didn't want to get their "hands dirty", his case was considered unwinnable.

So I really, really appreciate the strength and integrity that Mesereau & Yu showed. Thank you for taking a stand- that was so rare, so rare. They must have known that they would be ripped apart by media vultures and other bottom feeders of slander and defamation.

These are the kind of advisers MJ would have needed around.

It says a lot about your client-attorney relationship if your lawyer is willing to go that kind of extra mile for you. It speaks VOLUMES.

I agree 100%. Most ppl are afraid to take a stand even if deep inside they know what the truth is...They're afraid of being ridiculed. I'm glad Mez and Yu did this.

Back