April 8, 2009 - News / Mentionings

http://www.inthenews.co.uk/entertainment/music/thriller-voted-mtv-s-top-album-$1286556.htm

Thriller voted MTV's top album

Thursday, 09 Apr 2009 00:01
photo-x-$7023796$180.jpg
Thriller's success will never be repeated, Trevor Nelson says
Printer friendly version
window.google_render_ad();

Michael Jackson's classic album Thriller has been voted top of MTV's greatest album ever poll.

With all albums prior to 1981 dispensed with the field was open for the biggest selling album of all time to sweep the board, taking nearly one-third of all votes cast.

Paying tribute to the king of pop, DJ Trevor Nelson said there would probably never be another album like it.

"There will never be a marriage of producer and artist and song writing and pop sensibility - it just won't happen again," he commented.

"And also, due to the way people buy records now, there'll never be an album that sells as many copies - and that's the thing that will keep it at number one."

Radiohead's OK Computer, Nevermind by Nirvana and U2's The Joshua Tree all featured in the top ten.

But none of them received as many votes as Craig David's 2000 debut Born To Do It, which came in second.

"To come just behind the king of pop is incredibly flattering, because I grew up listening to that guy's music," David said.

"To be in the place behind the king of pop – wicked."

Not all agree with the album's position in this poll, however.

"The guy was hugely successful and there's no denying that album is a great listen from start to finish as a pop record," DJ Zane Lowe said.

"It probably stands up as the greatest British urban pop record of the last twenty years. Still no one's really topped it - apart from Winehouse.

"Should it be number two in The Greatest Album of all time? No, in my opinion, but I'm not going to begrudge anyone's success, and if his fans voted for it then what's encouraging for me is that they still consider that record to be an important part of their lives and that's what music is."

MTV greatest album of all time (since 1981) top ten:
1 – Michael Jackson – Thriller
2 – Craig David – Born To Do It
3 – Guns'n'Roses – Appetite for Destruction
4 – Radiohead – OK Computer
5 – Nirvana – Nevermind
6 – Oasis – (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
7 – Oasis – Definitely Maybe
8 – U2 – The Joshua Tree
9 – Arctic Monkeys – Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
10 – Amy Winehouse – Back To Black

They have not sold a billion records! Geez the media go too far with their PR! If the Beatles sold a billion records, Michael Jackson would NOT have the biggest selling album of all time, the Beatles would.

Actually the beatles are the biggest selling artist of all time (with elvis close second) and Thriller is the greatest selling album of all time. And the beatles HAVE sold over a billion records according to their record company..

http://www.rockhall.com/inductee/the-beatles

I think Michael is the 4th biggest selling artist. Not everything is a conspiracy you know! :lol:

Actually the beatles are the biggest selling artist of all time (with elvis close second) and Thriller is the greatest selling album of all time. And the beatles HAVE sold over a billion records according to their record company..

I think Michael is the 4th biggest selling artist. Not everything is a conspiracy you know! :lol:

elvis is the biggest selling artist, with the beatles second and mj third. Thats what i thought it was?

If madonna is third then she doesnt count because shes awful

The Beatles haven't sold over a billion records lol, if you add up their sales it isn't anywhere near that figure lol. The Beatles are the biggest selling act of all time closely followed by MJ and Elvis is third.

Back