April 17 - 19 Weekend news Byte

mariemarie

Guests
Motown tribute set for Saturday

An all-star lineup, possibly even an appearance by the King of Pop Michael Jackson, is on tap for Saturday's Motown Downtown show.

"I am so excited," said organizer Sheryl Ned. "We have a lot of great local talent. We are going to have a tremendous show this year."
The Motown tribute has been an annual event of the Opelousas Little Theatre for years, but this year it is moving downtown in cooperation with a season of special programming hosted by the Opelousas Main Street Program.

Ned said this year's performance in the Old City Market on Courthouse Square in Opelousas will give people more room to enjoy the music.

"The only change will be the location," Ned said.
The doors open at 1:30 p.m. and show starts at 2 p.m. Tickets for the two-hour performance are $10 and will be available at the door.
Ned said she started the annual Motown revue about five years ago because; "Everybody loves Motown. I grew up with the music of Motown.

As a child we used to put on our own shows at home," Ned said.
For this year's show, artists from Lafayette to Ville Platte will bring to life the music of Aretha Franklin, Lou Rawls, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson, Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye and many more.

"My Otis Redding is just awesome. My Alicia Keys - she just brings it," Ned said. "These are people who love to sing. Their pitch is good, their tone as well, and they have great stage presence."

While the program will highlight the Motown sound, Ned said the show will feature "guest artists from other labels" covering the spectrum from rhythm and blues to soul and gospel.

"I want to give people a variety - its a gumbo for the soul," Ned said.
All the money raised will be used to fund the Opelousas Little Theatre Scholarship program. "We try to help a student go to college each year. We help out with books, anything we can," Ned said.

The event is the first of three weekend downtown events being sponsored in cooperation with the Main Street program as part of an effort to breath new life into the city's core.

The next week, April 24, the city will formally dedicate its new
Creole/Zydeco Heritage mural during a special downtown version of Music and Market.

The following week, May 2, the Opelousas-St. Landry Parish Chamber of Commerce will sponsor its Art Happens event.

http://www.dailyworld.com/article/20090417/NEWS01/904170302/1002

Overheard on Twitter:

Teairra Mari: “OMG Michael Jackson Lives across the street from my manager!!!! And there’s like 15 cars outside waiting on him to come out… Pandemonium!”

http://www.rap-up.com/2009/04/17/overheard-on-twitter-3/

Legendary Lightfoot finds Harmony

ENTERTAINMENT: Iconic Canadian musician brings classic set list to Essar

Google Gordon Lightfoot and the hits nearly number one million.

A YouTube search will produce everything from a late 1960s Lightfoot performance with Johnny Cash to what appears to be a recent homemade image produced via cell phone, showing a hokey side of the Canadian music icon.

It's curious that someone who secures so much space in cyberspace doesn't appear to give a hoot about the technology itself.

Lightfoot cut a few albums, including Don Quixote, south of the border and can still rhyme off some of the studio musicians with whom he worked and came into contact. There was guitarist Dean Parks, best known for his work with Steely Dan, and Steve Lukather, a member of Toto who played guitar on countless Top 40 singles by everyone from Lionel Richie to Michael Jackson.

Full story http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1528248

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1973 - Tito and John Jackson were arrested for buying a stolen stereo and television. In February 1974 the charges against Tito were dropped after John pled guilty.

1989 - Michael Jackson's "Moonwalker" long-form video was certified Gold and 8 times Platinum.

moonwalker.jpg

An all-star lineup, possibly even an appearance by the King of Pop Michael Jackson, is on tap for Saturday's Motown Downtown show

I don't believe it till I see it!

Thanks for the news.

"Overheard on Twitter:

Teairra Mari: “OMG Michael Jackson Lives across the street from my manager!!!! And there’s like 15 cars outside waiting on him to come out… Pandemonium!”

Love the hype MJ is creating overseas... :cheeky:

http://news.id.msn.com/entertainment/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3189077

Michael Jackson fan Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis would 'love' to perform alongside Michael Jackson.
The 'Bleeding Love' singer has fuelled reports she will join the pop superstar on stage during his London residency this summer by revealing she is a huge fan.
When asked about the rumours, Leona said with a smile: 'I don't know, I'd love to perform with Michael Jackson. So we'll see.'
Last month, it was claimed Michael wants Leona to perform his sister Janet's part from their 1995 duet 'Scream' for his 'This It It' shows at London's O2 arena.
A source said: 'Michael has a list of singers he feels could do Janet justice - and Leona is top. He hasn't approached her yet but he's a big fan of everything she has achieved.
'She's massive all around the world and he feels this duet would give both their careers an even bigger boost.'
Meanwhile, Leona has spoken out about her relationship with Simon Cowell, who was her mentor when she won UK reality TV show 'The X Factor' in 2006.
The 24-year-old star still regularly speaks to the music mogul, but admits he can be difficult to work with.
She said: 'I still talk to Simon lots, I am signed to his label and he's still very much involved in the things I do. He's honest, very brutal.'

Thans for the news
Im luvin all the mj mania that is happening..its great :D

oh lawd, my daughter is gonna freeeeek out if Michael works with leona lewis and I will have to hear her even more than I already do :lol:

I have endured that bleeding love song until my eyes and ears bleed :doh:

She would be good for I just can't stop loving you also ... I am not seeing the scream fill in though *shrug*

yeah but I dont think MJ performs with Leona..more seems like a rumor than reality.

OMG MJJCHICHI YOUR SIGGY IS GONNA GIMME A HEART ATTACK NOW! CANT LOOK AT IT!!

lol take an aspirin quick !!

what is so alarming about the siggy ?? LoL

oh lawd, my daughter is gonna freeeeek out if Michael works with leona lewis and I will have to hear her even more than I already do :lol:

I have endured that bleeding love song until my eyes and ears bleed :doh:

She would be good for I just can't stop loving you also ... I am not seeing the scream fill in though *shrug*

:lol: :rollin: awww ChiChi it's not THAT Bad LMAO!

I seriously doubt Mike is going to any Motown thing when he is aggressively rehearsing for the upcoming tour that begins in less than 3 months.

There is no news to report but some mentionings. Please check back often for any updates.

Michael Jackson Mentionings for April 18, 2009:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...l-Jacksons-military-style-retail-therapy.html

What a Thriller! Rihanna copies Michael Jackson's military style for some retail therapy

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 2:33 PM on 18th April 2009
Michael Jackson is a global superstar with legions of fans - including, it seems, RnB singer Rihanna.
The chart-topping Umbrella star was spotted wearing a ***** *****-inspired jacket while she hit the shops in Beverly Hills.
Rihanna, 21, wore a military-style braided denim jacket, almost an exact copy of Michael's signature 'look'.

article-1171713-048456CF000005DC-501_224x496.jpg

article-1171713-00EEC8E300000191-255_224x496.jpg

Man in the mirror: Rihanna steps out in a copy-cat ***** ***** jacket

The RnB singer spent some time inside cult streetwear store BAPE on Melrose Avenue.
Other celebrity fans of the clothing label include Kanye West, Jay-Z and, er, comic Robin Williams...
Although Rihanna hid behind dark sunglasses, onlookers said she 'appeared in good spirits'.

Rihanna's ex-boyfriend Chris Brown is currently facing five years in prison if he is found guilty of threatening and assaulting the singer.
The 19-year-old fellow RnB star has pleaded not guilty to the charges of assault likely to cause great bodily injury and making criminal threats.

A date has not yet been set for Brown's trial.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news...ader-suit-for-tonight-s-show-115875-21286806/

Britain's Got Talent: The Force is with mystery man in Darth Vader suit for tonight's show

• transparent.gif
  • transparent.gif
By Mirror.co.uk 18/04/2009
image-11-for-britain-s-got-talent-saturday-18th-april-gallery-217314311.jpg

A mystery moonwalker dressed as Darth Vader and a new child singing star will be seen stealing the show on tonight's Britain's Got Talent.
A 37-year-old postman called Phillip refuses to reveal his full identity and stays in the Star Wars character's mask and costume for the whole day's audition in Birmingham .
Phillip tells Ant and Dec: "I'm going to go on that stage and use my raw talent to blow the minds off everyone...the force will be strong." The Star Wars theme begins as he starts his act by turning on his voice effect box and striking up a light sabre.
Advertisement - article continues below »
//

Then suddenly he tells Ant and Dec to change the track to Billie Jean by Michael Jackson - and Darth Jackson comes alive by moonwalking.
A show source said: "Piers and Amanda seem to love it because the act is so unusual." The pick of the auditions is a performance by 12-year-old boy called Shaheen Jafargholi, who wows the audience and judges - and finally wins over Simon Cowell - with two songs in his Cardiff audition.
But not all the acts are successful.
A trio of girls called The Singing Souls hope to become the next Spice Girls - but Cowell calls them the "singing trolls".

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/04/coachella-mccar.html

Coachella 09 Friday: McCartney burns slow, Morrissey smells burning flesh

Finally, we'd reached the holy land, and McCartney was to come. The rumor mill had been swirling apace since the morning, and was now up to the following: Not only was Ringo going to sit in on drums, but Michael Jackson, the Foo Fighters, and at least one member of Michael Franti and Spearhead were all scheduled to make guest appearances.

http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=983176

The event sought to emphasise the DA as "the only party which represents every culture and colour in our land", with 2007 Idols winner Jody Williams singing Michael Jackson’s "It don’t matter of you’re black or white"; party chairman Joe Seramane greeting the crowd in almost all official languages; and Zille calling the DA "a rainbow party for all the rainbow nation".

http://www.detnews.com/article/2009...O/Family++friends+mourn+slain+college+student

At Ecorse Community High School, Asia McGowan was awarded the lead roles in three musicals: "Annie," "The Wiz" and "Cinderella." In the fall, she took part in the Henry Ford Community College production "Wisdom and Wonder." Last week, she was preparing for an audition for the television show "So You Think You Can Dance?" to a Michael Jackson tune.

Michael Jackson HIStory for April 18, 2009:

1984 - Michael Jackson went into surgery in Los Angeles. Doctors performed scalp surgery to repair damage done after Jackson's hair caught fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial on January 27.

2004 - The Los Angeles Police Department released a statement saying that it was contacted by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office in March regarding allegations of child abuse against Michael Jackson. The charges came from an 18-year-old who claimed that he had been molested for six years starting when he was three years old. On June 2, it was announced that no evidence was found to support the charges. The case was unrelated to the case based out of Santa Barbara, CA.

article-1171713-048456CF000005DC-50.jpg

Well she not only copied the military jacket, look at her hair. It's very thriller-esque as well! Thank you for all the mentionings today!

Michael Jackson fan Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis would 'love' to perform alongside Michael Jackson.
The 'Bleeding Love' singer has fuelled reports she will join the pop superstar on stage during his London residency this summer by revealing she is a huge fan.
When asked about the rumours, Leona said with a smile: 'I don't know, I'd love to perform with Michael Jackson. So we'll see.'
Last month, it was claimed Michael wants Leona to perform his sister Janet's part from their 1995 duet 'Scream' for his 'This It It' shows at London's O2 arena.
A source said: 'Michael has a list of singers he feels could do Janet justice - and Leona is top. He hasn't approached her yet but he's a big fan of everything she has achieved.
'She's massive all around the world and he feels this duet would give both their careers an even bigger boost.'
Meanwhile, Leona has spoken out about her relationship with Simon Cowell, who was her mentor when she won UK reality TV show 'The X Factor' in 2006.
The 24-year-old star still regularly speaks to the music mogul, but admits he can be difficult to work with.
She said: 'I still talk to Simon lots, I am signed to his label and he's still very much involved in the things I do. He's honest, very brutal.'
:clapping:What did i say, what did i say? ;D

I can definitely see I JUST CANT STOP LOVING YOU performance :cheers:
with all the myst on the stage, leona in a fancy dress, michael looking lovely :wub: awww i can see it now

If this happened i would be happy beyond belief :)

Wow, Rihanna looks cool like that! I like the hair!

I hope Leona isn't performing with Michael. :mellow:

Rihanna must be a HUGE MJ fan!

So nice to see.

There have been a lot of MJ copy cats lately. LOL! And I love it.

The other day they had a picture of Beyonce wearing the Bahmain jacket, along with a picture of MJ wearing his "original" styled jacket in the New York newspapers, saying that Beyonce was copying MJ's style. Loved it.

There are also pictures of Kanye wearing the MJ style military jacket along with a woman who is the creative editor at Vogue magazine. She was also wearing the Bahmain jacket.

Mike is ALL over the place with the influence of his military styled jacket.

LMFGAO

Poor Simon !! The look on his face when the other two let Darth Jackson through ... Priceless :lol:

OMG that was so Funny
everything possible went wrong :doh:
and they still let him through :D

Simon better learn not to mess with the force
Keep on with the force dont stop _ Darth Vader
was saved by Michael Jackson :LOL: that was crazy

Back