Another day sound unfinished?

Minimj

Proud Member
Hey,

I hope there isn't a thread on this already.

I was listening to the song, and I was like, it is actually very short in the terms on how many verses there are.

My life has taken me beyond the planets and the stars
And you’re the only one that could take me this far
I’ll be forever searching for your love

At night, I pray before I sleep in hope of finding you
I've opened up my heart to let you to come through
I'll be forever searching for your love

That's the two verses, and only three lines each. Does anyone else think Michael never finished recording the vocals? Or this is the actual song length?

Maybe there are more verses, but they were not going to be sung by MJ. - Wasn't it going to be a duet?

Actually the last line of the second verse goes like this: "I close my eyes, I'm searching for your love".

And yes, it is a bit short but the song is actually finished in terms of lyrical production. Lenny wrote this song and you should check his version, it's called "Storm" and his version is pretty much the same in terms of lyrics. It's also goes for 4 minutes (-a few seconds), just like Michael's version.

Here are the lyrics:

Words: Lenny Kravitz, Carter / Music: Lenny Kravitz

My life has taken me beyond the planets and the stars
And you're the only one that could take me this far
I'll be forever searching for your love

I walked away but I was wrong
You're the one that keeps me strong
You're the fire that keeps me warm
How will I get through this storm?

At night, I pray before I sleep in hope of finding you
I've opened up my heart, I want you to come through
I close my eyes, I'm searching for your love

Jay-z: I got the bounce Lenny
Check me out
Brooklyn's bad boy back again
Feet hit the ground runnin' and my back's to the wind
Angels on my shoulders, head in the clouds
No, I'm not rappin', I'm just thinkin' real loud
My karma's my armor, my charm and wit
Is like a lethal bomb, I'm warm and s***
And I did bad for good but when you're trapped in the 'hood
You do worse for less, homie earth's a test
Only god can judge me
My heart ain't ugly
But the thoughts that I drop is heavy
Try budge me
Mama loved me, pop left me
Still the homies call me lucky lefty
I'm flashy and bentley
Deceptively smart
I make hustlin' heaven and pimpin' an art
Long as I know that I'm blessed
'Cause I'm loved in depth
I can walk through the water and not get wet
I'm that fresh

Jay-Z: There you have it
Just Blaze, Young hov, Lenny Kravitz
Not your average
Get your umbrella
It's raining macs and broads
all grace to god

[youtube]6dmR65qzGv8[/youtube]

yep, sounds like it's finished, actually an early version of a Lenny song Storm. Oops someone beat me to it :)

^ yeah, i actually like both a lot. i know not many care for Another Day, but i love it and think it rocks!

Yeah, it's one of the strongest songs on the album IMHO. Too bad Lenny was screwing around with it and somehow managed to strip it from it's raw and emotional MJ'ish feel.

Just a question, has Michael got any writing credit for 'Storm'?

The song sounds finished to me. :)

I understand what you mean though OP, I kind of had that feeling with the song at first until it grew on me. I wasn't too pleased with the album mix compared to the first version we heard.

I've always thought the song sounded unfinished. The chorus is repeated and sounds exactly the same over and over to me. Plus, I don't like how it was altered. I'd love to hear the original version.

I've always thought the song sounded unfinished. The chorus is repeated and sounds exactly the same over and over to me. Plus, I don't like how it was altered. I'd love to hear the original version.

Exactly why I made this thread, because of what you said. Glad someone agrees with me.

I do. The 2 choruses after the 2nd verse are identical apart from the different way he says, "warm." There don't seem to be any notable ad-libs either. There's a little near the end but not enough for my liking. :cheeky:

I heard a version on youtube before the album was released. It just has less production and imo sounds better then the one released in the 'Michael' album. I don't like Lenny's version though, I perfer Michael's, but the lyrics are so beautiful. No wonder Michael chose to sing that song :)

I too am not a fan of the way the track was altered. It's clear Michael wanted this to be a huge power track, and he had the guitars belting out the chords, full whack. They have been taken out and replaced with a guitar funk style riff, something typical of kravtiz style work and it does not go with MJ's full out powerfull vocals, given the instrumental used on the album cut, i'd bet MJ would have used his voice differently if he was going for that feel of track. Imagine that guitar solo over the old guitar parts with a huge snare and whirling strings all over the top, without the melodic movement in the middle, the whole thing sounds cold and unfinshed, a good kravitz style track, but a poor MJ style track.

i guess what makes this track so interesting though is that it's a lenny track with michael's vocals.....i always figured lenny's part in the duet is musical, aside from the chorus line.

I agree that it sounds unfinished and rather repetitive. It's still an okay track in my opinion, but it lost a lot of its energy when Lenny decided to change it from what we heard in the leaked snippet. That sounded very powerful, very nice.

I don't feel it's unfinished. Lenny's later version had the same lyrics. Where his version had Jay-Z rapping, this one has a guitar solo. There's a proper ending. The guitar in the album version is also better than the one in the original leak in my opinion. Just playing the chords isn't imaginative, it takes talent to come up with a riff like that. It blends in well with the song.

Last edited:
I absolutely love 'Another Day', I think it is such a beautiful and dramatic song. I think it's one of the strongest tracks on the album, I don't understand how people can't like it. However I find it a very sad/depressing song to listen to, I think this is because when you listen to it blasting in your headphones you realise how extremely talented he was and what a great loss he was to the world because no one can ever come close to matching a talent like that. I love MJ's rock songs such as this, 'Dirty Diana' and 'Give Into Me' because it's such a different and dramatic sound for him but it just shows how versatile he was.

Back