Anderson Cooper's 360: Doctor found from History tour who helped Michael get sleep

I'm pretty sure he said he had a very hard time sleeping after concerts, because of adrenaline pumping and so on...

i'm not sure he said that. and if he did, that's not a disorder. that's just adrenaline. and that's why he took breaks between concert schedules. u can lay down for eight hours and still get enough rest. and Kobe Bryant was passionate about winning a basketball championship. said he didn't sleep for nights because of the passion of wanting it so bad. if ur doing what ur passionate about, there can be moments like that, but not necessarily a disorder.

You know, I have always believed that Michael had sicknesses that we didn't know about. Yes he had vitiligo. Yes he had lupus. Yes he had severe back pain. Yes he had severe burn injuries to his head. But what if he had others things that we didn't know about? I mean some of us were upset with Michael over the years for not performing enough or releasing enough music, but what if he was sick? What if Michael really has a heart condition?

Also, Michael was a high intensity performer and skinny. So he would be a prime candidate for chronic dehydration which would explain the medical equipment with the IV drip....he was be re-hydrated.

Look, I know the media just nipping at the bit to claim that Michael was a doctor shopping drug addict and no one cared enough to help him. That makes for a good tragic ending to a story. But what if the DEA is there simply to help the LAPD? What if there is an explanation for all of the drugs they found with his name on them? What if they didn't find any drugs in his system that were at high enough levels to kill him? What if he simply was under so much stress and his heart stopped?

so did they actually speak to the doctor or is this coming from Uri and second hand sources?

They actually spoke to him...on the phone and in-person. They showed Mr. Ratner being interviewed by Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

I'm pretty sure he said he had a very hard time sleeping after concerts, because of adrenaline pumping and so on...

I remember this as well. Can't remember which interview or if it was in Moonwalk, but I remember it. Other fans have mentioned it as well.

edit: @ vncwilliam.... insomnia is a sleep disorder however, after something as adrenaline-inducing as a concert, it's not impossible that the issue became worse. Maybe MJ didn't see insomnia as a problem when he didn't have a schedule to keep like touring and doing shows would require.

@ ATLF...the rehydrating thing crossed my mind, too. HOwever, the Dr. did confirm that he treated MJ for a sleeping issue. He didn't say HOW tho. So it could be half a dozen of one thing and half a dozen of another.

Last edited:
You know, I have always believed that Michael had sicknesses that we didn't know about. Yes he had vitiligo. Yes he had lupus. Yes he had severe back pain. Yes he had severe burn injuries to his head. But what if he had others things that we didn't know about? I mean some of us were upset with Michael over the years for not performing enough or releasing enough music, but what if he was sick? What if Michael really has a heart condition?

Also, Michael was a high intensity performer and skinny. So he would be a prime candidate for chronic dehydration which would explain the medical equipment with the IV drip....he was be re-hydrated.

Look, I know the media just nipping at the bit to claim that Michael was a doctor shopping drug addict and no one cared enough to help him. That makes for a good tragic ending to a story. But what if the DEA is there simply to help the LAPD? What if there is an explanation for all of the drugs they found with his name on them? What if they didn't find any drugs in his system that were at high enough levels to kill him? What if he simply was under so much stress and his heart stopped?

i'm not one of the ones that knows what others seem to know. i followed MJ interviews like..well..an obsessed fan, and i never heard him talk about lupus and other maladies. only vitiligo.

and MJ was special. the 'skinniness' isn't that abnormal. Sammy Davis Jr. and Fred Astaire were 'skinny'.

not everybody has the same body type. athletes have an extra heart valve, and are bigger than the rest of us. it's simply a matter of having a special body for a special purpose or talent.

I like the fact that the doctor was respectful of the family and MJ. He put it out there that, it wasn't the right time to say something because the man hasn't even been buried yet and that he lost a good friend.

Now after MJ has been laid to rest I hope he does the right thing and let authorities now whether or not MJ was taking stuff to help him sleep back during when he was his doctor..

Yeah I remember the bit about the adrenaline and him not being able to sleep after concerts.

What I don't understand is how that damn insurance works though. AEG were insured if something happened and Mike couldn't perform? Like they get money if he dies or what? Or do they get money only if he dies of natural causes or bc of smth he did to himself? Bc That would make sense that they're saying he was healthy when they checked and only that night something happened....
I do see them and the insurance comp lying just to get him on stage but maybe they didn't think it was that bad, like whatever systemic illnesses he had they didn't think would lead to this...

not everybody has the same body type. athletes have an extra heart valve, and are bigger than the rest of us. it's simply a matter of having a special body for a special purpose or talent.

I'm sorry, I've never heard of the extra valve thing and I've gone through 6 years of med school.... Where did you hear that?

Triathletes and long distance runners aren't big at all. Bruce Lee wasn't big and he was an athlete. I don't think they have an extra or special valve either. Heavy D & Fred Berry (Rerun from What's Happening?!!! and former Soul Train dancer) were somewhat obese guys who did a lot of dancing. So there's no special body for a talent.

They actually spoke to him...on the phone and in-person. They showed Mr. Ratner being interviewed by Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

I remember this as well. Can't remember which interview or if it was in Moonwalk, but I remember it. Other fans have mentioned it as well.

edit: @ vncwilliam.... insomnia is a sleep disorder however, after something as adrenaline-inducing as a concert, it's not impossible that the issue became worse. Maybe MJ didn't see insomnia as a problem when he didn't have a schedule to keep like touring and doing shows would require.

@ ATLF...the rehydrating thing crossed my mind, too. HOwever, the Dr. did confirm that he treated MJ for a sleeping issue. He didn't say HOW tho. So it could be half a dozen of one thing and half a dozen of another.

From what I remember Dr Gupta had spoken to someone who had spoken to Ratner not that he had spoken to him personally.
That was the reason for going to his house.

Edited:

Did anyone just see this??!

His name is Dr. Ratner. He was one of 2 doctors who travelled with MJ on the History Tour. Someone saw the nurse's story and remembered MJ having sleeping issues or having doctors with him on HIstory tour. One was said to have been the doctor whose job was to help MJ get sleep at night. I missed some of it cuz I got distracted. He didn't want to asnwer questions about the tour but his job was to allegedly "take him (Michael) down and bring him back up".

Anyone else see this?
Wow, I remember during the HIStory Tour when Michael was doing an interview with Barbara Walters on Princess Diana's death. He said that his doctor woke him up and told him. That always stuck out to me. Your doctor wakes you up? :scratch:

Last edited:
From what I remember Dr Gupta had spoken to someone who had spoken to Ratner not that he had spoken to him personally.
That was the reason for going to his house.

Gupta did speak to someone who initially told him about Ratner. However, Gupta then said he spoke to Ratner by phone and got the confirmation about treating MJ for a sleep disorder in the past. And then Gupta claims he wanted to talk to Ratner more and follow-up and that's when he went out to interview him personally. That's when Ratner said he didn't want to talk about anything further at this time. Hopefully, somoene on here will be able to upload the footage... or CNN will link to it soon.

I dunno ATLF, not all of that adds up. The rehydration thing is definatley plausible, maybe even likely, but I'm not sure about the rest.

The media does want him to be another addict performer, so stuff is probably being thrown out of proportion, i.e. Grace and pumping his stomach. But the thing is not all the drugs had his name on it, he was using aliases and hiding his identity is only part of the picture. I think it comes down to the proforol. I do not for a second think his heart just gave out on him due to stress or natural or whatever. Medicine had something to do with it and some irresponsible doctor convinced him it was safe to take it, and Mike put his trust in the guy and now this.

Triathletes and long distance runners aren't big at all. Bruce Lee wasn't big and he was an athlete. I don't think they have an extra or special valve either. Heavy D & Fred Berry (Rerun from What's Happening?!!! and former Soul Train dancer) were somewhat obese guys who did a lot of dancing. So there's no special body for a talent.

yes there is. i was thinking basketball and football players. and did u see that guy, i think his name was 'bol'..who won that distance run in the latest olympics? surely, his body was different and special i am talking about these performers whose talent are remarkable. and Sammy Davis and Fred Astaire had remarkable talents, and unusual bodies to go with them.

Wow, I remember during the HIStory Tour when Michael was doing an interview with Princess Diana on her death. He said that his doctor woke him up and told him. That always stuck out to me. Your doctor wakes you up? :scratch:

good point! I never noticed that before...

Wow, I remember during the HIStory Tour when Michael was doing an interview with Princess Diana on her death. He said that his doctor woke him up and told him. That always stuck out to me. Your doctor wakes you up? :scratch:

that's just someone waking MJ up to hear about someone who was mad special to him. that's like someone waking up the President of the United States to tell him we are at war or someone bombed an important building as a terrorist act..that's not necessarily sleep problems. it's not like that doctor woke MJ up just for the sake of waking him up cus he couldn't get up, himself. that was about Princess Diana's Death.

^ She means that i's weird that the doctor was there to wake him up in the first place and not some bodyguard or something. I never though about it but now, especially with this doctor that says he was with him on the History tour...makes u wonder.

that's just someone waking MJ up to hear about someone who was mad special to him. that's like someone waking up the President of the United States to tell him we are at war or someone bombed an important building as a terrorist act..that's not necessarily sleep problems. it's not like that doctor woke MJ up just for the sake of waking him up cus he couldn't get up, himself. that was about Princess Diana's Death.
You don't know that for sure. And I meant he was doing an interview with Barbara Walters on Princess Di.

And the guy wasn't just a doctor. He was an anesthesiologist!

I dunno ATLF, not all of that adds up. The rehydration thing is definatley plausible, maybe even likely, but I'm not sure about the rest.

The media does want him to be another addict performer, so stuff is probably being thrown out of proportion, i.e. Grace and pumping his stomach. But the thing is not all the drugs had his name on it, he was using aliases and hiding his identity is only part of the picture. I think it comes down to the proforol. I do not for a second think his heart just gave out on him due to stress or natural or whatever. Medicine had something to do with it and some irresponsible doctor convinced him it was safe to take it, and Mike put his trust in the guy and now this.

The thing is it IS safe when administered properly by a trained professional in a hospital setting with the proper monitoring equipment. So in that context, proforol IS safe.

You don't know that for sure. And I meant he was doing an interview with Barbara Walters on Princess Di.

i wouldn't know that a person would want to be awakened for a seismic tragedy like that, especially if it was a very dear friend?

well..the media is spinning a drug problem here...why is it easier to believe that for sure?

Ok, the more days go by the weirder it seems to me.. I think I am strongly inclined to believed the so-called conspiratorial theories..

The picture is strange, to say the least:

i wouldn't know that a person would want to be awakened for a seismic tragedy like that, especially if it was a very dear friend?

well..the media is spinning a drug problem here...why is it easier to believe that for sure?
I was just making an observation and don't have a concrete belief yet. All I know is this was a great tragedy.

Okay, I've made some edits to my posts. The show has repeated and I wanted to clarify and update my posts with better explanations of things I misheard or didn't catch the first time.

I finally saw that video with the doctor, it looks like he was cornered at his house by Gupta and he really was sad about the news about Mike and he didn't want to talk about it.

Also interesting is what someone here said, that he lost his license. Anyone know why, if it's true? It takes a pretty big blunder for someone to lose their license....

I finally saw that video with the doctor, it looks like he was cornered at his house by Gupta and he really was sad about the news about Mike and he didn't want to talk about it.

Also interesting is what someone here said, that he lost his license. Anyone know why, if it's true? It takes a pretty big blunder for someone to lose their license....

He lost his license in 2002 for 3 years due to insurance fraud.

Back