All Threads About Katy Perry's Challenge To Michael Jackson's Chart Record **Merged**

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
Katy Perry To Challenge Michael Jackson's Chart Record With New 6th Single
http://www.gigwise.com/news/66905/Katy- ... t-Got-Away

it-funny-katy-perrys-new-cameo-crazy-video-last-friday-night_top.jpg

Katy Perry could be set to beat Michael Jackson's chart record if her next single goes to number one in the US.

The singer revealed today (September 16) that her next single to be released from her 2010 album 'Teenage Dream' will be 'The One That Got Away'.

As previously reported on Gigwise, Perry recently became the first female single to score five US number one singles after releasing a remix version of her track 'Last Friday Night' featuring Missy Elliott.

Perry's five number one tracks are 'California Gurls', 'Teenage Dream', 'Firework', 'E.T.' and 'Last Friday Night'.

If the 'The One That Got Away' goes to numbet one she will beat the record held by Michael Jackson for his five number one singles including 'I Just Can't Stop Loving You', 'Bad', 'The Way You Make Me Feel', 'Man In The Mirror' and 'Dirty Diana' released from his album 'Bad'

-------------------------------------

Katy Perry's Sixth 'Teenage Dream' Single Will Be...
http://www.billboard.com/news/katy-perr ... 1222.story

Such is the thinking, as voiced by EMI Music/Capitol Records EVP/marketing and promotion Greg Thompson, behind the label's decision to release a sixth pop radio single from Katy Perry's album, "Teenage Dream."

The set's "The One That Got Away" goes for airplay next month.

And, what could be gained is a first in the Billboard Hot 100's 53-year history.

The first five singles from the album - "California Gurls," featuring Snoop Dogg; the title cut; "Firework"; "E.T.," featuring Kanye West; and, "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" - all reached the Hot 100's summit, making Perry the first woman to notch five No. 1s on the chart from one album.

Michael Jackson is the only other artist to have accomplished the feat, having scored five leaders from "Bad" in 1987-88. (The sixth single from "Bad," "Another Part of Me," peaked at No. 11. Seventh and final single "Smooth Criminal" reached No. 7).

Thus, should "One" follow the first five singles from "Dream" to the top, Perry would become the first artist to crack open a six-pack of Hot 100 No. 1s from one album.

Capitol confirmed the single choice to Billboard at last night's (Sept. 13) performance by Perry's labelmate Lady Antebellum at New York City's Irving Plaza. The country trio celebrated the release of its third studio album, "Own the Night," by introducing songs from the set (including its "favorite," according to the band's Hillary Scott, ballad "Cold as Stone") and sampling its previous hits, a set that closed with its 2009 five-week Country Songs No. 1, and pop and adult crossover smash, "Need You Now."

The label stressed that it is not specifically releasing "One" with the hopes of rewriting Hot 100 history. Rather, the decision factors in Perry's fondness for the song, its ear-catching hook and her obvious track record of success at pop radio.

"If it goes to No. 1, that would be great," said Thompson. "If not, we still have a Katy song on the radio in fourth quarter," potentially fueling further sales for "Dream" in the busiest of shopping seasons.

Even if "One" is not a Hot 100 No. 1, Perry still offers her fans the gift of a Yuletide-timed release. If it does reach the apex, Perry herself opens the gift of unprecedented Hot 100 history.

Adding to the song's chart-topping potential: a "touch-up," i.e., a Dr. Luke-produced radio edit of the album version (which he also produced), according to Thompson, and a video. The label is currently "reading treatments" for the proposed clip. (Perry penned the song with Dr. Luke (Lukasz Gottwald) and Max Martin).

Perry's "California Dreams Tour," which kicked off in February, continues with U.S., South American and European dates through Dec. 1. Of the 40 concerts reported to Billboard Boxscore, the tour has grossed $22 million and played to 408,000 fans.

On its path to equaling the King of Pop's Hot 100 milestone, "Dream" has sold 1.8 million copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The set opened at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 the week of Sept. 11, 2010, and has remained in the chart's top 40 for all 55 of its chart weeks.

While "One" is the sixth pop single from "Dream," another track from the album has topped a Billboard tally. "Peacock" joined the set's five Hot 100 leaders as No. 1s on Billboard's Dance/Club Play Songs chart.
Meanwhile, Katy Perry's 'Last Friday Night' has been named VH1's 'Song of the Summer'.

Last edited:
Re: *** Katy Perry To Challenge Michael Jackson's Chart Record With New Single ***

Let's not do this. Katy isn't trying to snatch anything away from MJ. No stan wars.

Re: *** Katy Perry To Challenge Michael Jackson's Chart Record With New Single ***

It will turn into that unfortunately :( We all know that some of Michael's records would be topped in time. I'm not bitter about any of it at all. If/when this single passes that record then well done her :)

It will turn into that unfortunately :( We all know that some of Michael's records would be topped in time. I'm not bitter about any of it at all. If/when this single passes that record then well done her :)

Yes, the industry is much more focused on single downloads as its sales are very high and album sales are very low.

So I guess that records that focus on singles will be broken more often then they have ever done before.

She can break this record, but she can never break the record of having the biggest selling album of all time... No one can!!!

She can break this record, but she can never break the record of having the biggest selling album of all time... No one can!!!

Very true, but I really doubt the new single will go #1. I just have a feeling it won't. Could be wrong.

But, guys, the fundamental difference is that michael had no Internet possibilities, no Youtube support, no FaceBook and no super extra low prices for albums and singles, and of course, no generation gaps like crazy pop kids vs adults - people of all ages loved MJs music and they were buying his records..., not downloading from/for iPod for 20 cents...

Last edited:

To be fair, Katy hasn't ever had a .20 cent single either. "Last Friday Night" had a .69 cent iTunes sale which is common for almost all new singles at one time or another. Apple does it all the time.

Very true, but I really doubt the new single will go #1. I just have a feeling it won't. Could be wrong.

With the cheap tactics she used to get her last single to #1 to tie Michael's record, why wouldn't she do the same this time around to break his record?

Funny you said this cause I feel the same way. I've listened to The One That Got Away and I just have a feeling it won't go to #1. LOL, I think she has a better chance with I Want To See Your Peacock. :bugeyed But, like you, I could be wrong too. I hope I'm not though.

I went to her concert Sept. 7, and I must say it was fun. It was very entertaining and I think the reason she is very likable is because she interacts with her audience quite a bit........crowd went wild. Having said that, she only sold 10,000 tickets..........capacity is 19,000.

Last edited:

I think she does so well because she is easy to relate to for most young people, particularly females. Her songs are also pretty simple and, well, catchy. Thus, I can't say I'm surprised by the fact that she's so popular, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if her next single went to no. 01. However, quality is still something which holds value of its own, and while I don't dislike Perry, there is no way in Hell I could say her music is of even nearly equal quality to anything Michael made.

With that said, even if she breaks the record or whatever, it won't mean anything other than proving she can sell things. Then again, so can McDonald's.

Katy Perry's sixth single (The One That Got Away) is currently at #4 on iTunes. :sigh:

So what if she breaks this record... Michael will always hold the record for the best selling album, which imo is the most important record that any artist can possess. Her album came out in August of last year and it has only been certified double platinum in USA so far... That just goes to show that music has lost its credibilty cos of the internet... Singles are not meant to have higher sales than albums.

If it happens fine but if she remixes this song to get it to #1 then I won't be happy and I won't think it's right. She has done it a couple of times already with the songs on this album. Michael's songs went #1 on how they were original. Don't get me wrong, remixes can be interesting but it shouldn't be taken advantage of. A lot of artists put out songs. If they go #1 fine but if everyone starts remixing their songs to get it #1 then I think that is problem.

Smh. She doesnt deserve this record. Michael still is the only one that broke it in my eyes.

Because of Michael´s albums´ phenomenal success in 2009, Billboard had to change their rules and now, whatever album/single can reach no.1
By these rules (if it was allowable in 2009), Michael would have had 7 album in the official TOP10 album chart, complete top5.

But the media underrated this success... of course.

Last edited:

Well Katy will not stand the test of time, in 10 years they will be taking about Michael's accomplishments not Katy's and I'm not hating on Katy she's just not in the same league.

But the media underrated this success... of cource.

Typical media SMH

who cares.. I have no idea how the song even sounds and the girl doesn't move albums that much. She, like Rihanna, is more a singles artist . MJ will stand the test of time and in 10 years or so I don't see Katy Perry being around at all

[h=1]Katy Perry's 'One That Got Away' Ties Billboard Record[/h] [h=2]Teenage Dream now has six top-five hits, tying Janet Jackson and George Michael's record.[/h]http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1675970/katy-perry-one-that-got-away-record.jhtml
What do Katy Perry, Janet Jackson and George Michael all have in common? Well, aside from making catchy tunes, they are also the only three artists to spawn six top-five hits from a single album on the Hot 100 chart in Billboard history.

Thanks to Katy's latest Teenage Dream single, "The One That Got Away," jumping five spots from #9 to #4, she tied the two pop stars.
It's been a while since anyone matched George and Janet. Michael did it in the mid-'80s with his album Faith, which included hits like the title track, "I Want Your Sex" and "Father Figure." Jackson followed him several years later with Rhythm Nation 1814, which launched hits like "Love Will Never Do (Without You)," "Escapade" and "Black Cat."
This is hardly Perry's first Billboard record. She previously tied with Michael Jackson and his Bad album when she notched five #1 singles from her 2010 album. Those five chart-toppers are "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)," "California Gurls," "Teenage Dream," "Firework" and "E.T." And now, she's set her latest record with "The One That Got Away."
"This song shows a very different side of me that I haven't shown with my past singles on this record," Perry has previously said about the Teenage Dream midtempo track. "I think that everyone can relate to this song. I wrote this song about when you promise someone forever, but you end up not being able to follow through. It's a bittersweet story — hopefully, the listener learns from hearing it and never has to say they had 'The One' get away."
Another Dream megahit, "Firework," sits at #10 on MTV's Best Songs of 2011 list. Perry's inspirational dance track is joined on the list by LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem," Chris Brown's "Look at Me Now," Rihanna's "We Found Love" and Lady Gaga's "Born This Way," to name a few.

http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbeat/katy-perry-s-teenage-dream-yields-sixth-1005673152.story

Upon Perry's latest feat, here is a look at the select trio of albums to spawn as many as six Hot 100 top five hits:

"Rhythm Nation 1814," Janet Jackson, 1989-91, seven:
"Miss You Much" (No. 1, four weeks)
"Rhythm Nation" (No. 2)
"Escapade" (No. 1, three weeks)
"Alright" (No. 4)
"Come Back to Me" (No. 2)
"Black Cat" (No. 1, one week)
"Love Will Never Do (Without You)" (No. 1, one week)

"Faith," George Michael, 1987-88, six:
"I Want Your Sex" (No. 2) (first released on the "Beverly Hills Cop II" soundtrack)
"Faith" (No. 1, four weeks)
"Father Figure" (No. 1, two weeks)
"One More Try" (No. 1, three weeks)
"Monkey" (No. 1, two weeks)
"Kissing a Fool" (No. 5)

"Teenage Dream," Katy Perry, 2010-11, six:
"California Gurls," featuring Snoop Dogg (No. 1, six weeks)
"Teenage Dream" (No. 1, two weeks)
"Firework" (No. 1, four weeks)
"E.T.," featuring Kanye West (No. 1, five weeks)
"Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" (No. 1, two weeks)
"The One That Got Away" (No. 4, to-date)

The song dropped to #5 in iTunes (it was at #4). I don't think it will make it to #1...........unless they start major promotion on it.

It most likely won't hit #1 and who cares if it does. I personally like Katy Perry and it doesn't bother me one way or another if she breaks it or not. Records are meant to be broken and it doesn't take away the previous record holders greatness. No one can touch MJ and we all know that. Be secure in it and don't resort to attacking others who are viewed as a "challenger" because they're not. Never will be.

Like many have said before, who cares? In 10 years tops, KP will be gone and forgotten, except for the occasional "Remember the years 2000" CD. Michael is so far above her head, he's a tiny dot to her.

The song fell from #4 to #5 this week, so I hope this trend contines.

The last i checked, it was at #3 on hot 100...lets hope Michaels Record stands.

I expect that after the media hype about the so.called marriage and divorce, the song can reach the top...
I bet its just a PR stunt how to support her media coverage and boost the song.... and later she will release a statement that.... they both "found" the way back to their love....

Last edited:

I think she will remix the song like the other ones to get to it #1. It seems to be the pattern with her.

Billboard Hot 100 (January 2, 2012 - January 8, 2012):

1. Rihanna featuring Calvin Harris - We Found Love
2. LMFAO - Sexy And I Know It
3. Bruno Mars - It Will Rain
4. Adele - Set Fire to the Rain
5. Flo Rida - Good Feeling
6. Katy Perry - The One That Got Away
7. Jay-Z a Kanye West - Niggaz in Paris
8. Jason Mraz - I Won't Give Up
9. LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem
10. Adele - Someone Like You

Back