Albums Dangerous vs Rhythm Nation 1814

Dangerous vs. Rhythm Nation makes sense to me. Jermaine vs. Janet? I'm not getting that at all. :unsure:

Janet has sold approx 180 million records. She's won 5 Grammys, 11 AMA's, she's had one Oscar nomination, she's currently closing out a successful tour and then starts another Las Vegas residency. She released Control when she was only 19 and, afaik, it's sold approx 10 million copies. She was invited to perform on the Royal Variety Performance show in 1989.

That's just the stuff I can remember, I'm sure there's loads more. Jermaine isn't going to catch up with her any time soon.
She was huge in the USA for sure, legendary even.

But in Europe the entire NJS sound simply didn’t catch on. Her biggest hit was when she made a euro dance type of song “together again”. That genre was all the rage in europe during the 90s. Even Michael couldn’t get it going though he generally still made the top 10 but it was a far cry from his top 5 and nr 1 hits from Thriller and Bad.

While Jermaine lacked any direction and even promotion he still had a brief but very successful solo career.

Obviously the US market is the biggest so Janet outsold Jermaine easily

Last edited:
I wasn't really talking about the US, tbh. I just meant, generally, her record sales are fabulous, she's been showered with dozens of awards, she's done several successful tours, she's about to start another Las Vegas residency, she nabbed an Oscar nomination, ... I just don't see the competition from Jermaine, frankly!

I get that the convo was focussed on that particular song from Jermaine (which I don't think I've ever heard) vs. Janet getting / not getting too many No.1 songs in Europe. I did go way beyond that bc it's the only thing that made sense to me.

But in Europe the entire NJS sound simply didn’t catch on. Her biggest hit was when she made a euro dance type of song “together again”. That genre was all the rage in europe during the 90s. Even Michael couldn’t get it going though he generally still made the top 10 but it was a far cry from his top 5 and nr 1 hits from Thriller and Bad.
I think it goes beyond NJS for me. I get that it didn't set Europe on fire - it didn't set me on fire, tbh - but Janet's career all around is massively impressive, imo. Sure, her tours usually focus very heavily on the US but she does get around Europe, Australasia, Japan etc.

While Jermaine lacked any direction and even promotion he still had a brief but very successful solo career.
I guess. He has a good voice, sure. Not denying that. There's Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming (which I love) and Let's Get Serious (which I do not love). Apart from those two, I can't name a single song by him (as a solo artist).

If we leave aside J5, she's outdone him everywhere.

Dangerous vs. Rhythm Nation makes sense to me. Jermaine vs. Janet? I'm not getting that at all. :unsure:

Janet has sold approx 180 million records. She's won 5 Grammys, 11 AMA's, she's had one Oscar nomination, she's currently closing out a successful tour and then starts another Las Vegas residency. She released Control when she was only 19 and, afaik, it's sold approx 10 million copies. She was invited to perform on the Royal Variety Performance show in 1989.

That's just the stuff I can remember, I'm sure there's loads more. Jermaine isn't going to catch up with her any time soon.
Janet is a big star only in the USA. Not all world.

Janet is a big star only in the USA. Not all world.
Well, I disagree but I think I'm all talked out on this one. My argument was that she's more successful than Jermaine - which she demonstrably is. But it doesn't really matter.

I'll leave you all to carry on, lol.

I wasn't really talking about the US, tbh. I just meant, generally, her record sales are fabulous, she's been showered with dozens of awards, she's done several successful tours, she's about to start another Las Vegas residency, she nabbed an Oscar nomination, ... I just don't see the competition from Jermaine, frankly!

I get that the convo was focussed on that particular song from Jermaine (which I don't think I've ever heard) vs. Janet getting / not getting too many No.1 songs in Europe. I did go way beyond that bc it's the only thing that made sense to me.

I think it goes beyond NJS for me. I get that it didn't set Europe on fire - it didn't set me on fire, tbh - but Janet's career all around is massively impressive, imo. Sure, her tours usually focus very heavily on the US but she does get around Europe, Australasia, Japan etc.

I guess. He has a good voice, sure. Not denying that. There's Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming (which I love) and Let's Get Serious (which I do not love). Apart from those two, I can't name a single song by him (as a solo artist).
Duets with Witney Houston?

Well, I disagree but I think I'm all talked out on this one. My argument was that she's more successful than Jermaine - which she demonstrably is. But it doesn't really matter.

I'll leave you all to carry on, lol.
Janet has very little visibility on YouTube for superstar status. Her biggest video is 80 million. And even that collaboration with another artist. Which isn't all that impressive for the incredible pop icon she's portrayed as. In the world she is very much in Michael's shadow.

Janet has very little visibility on YouTube for superstar status. Her biggest video is 80 million.
This is where the convo started, with a comparison of Janet's YT views for Rhythm Nation vs. Jermaine's YT views for this song which I've never even heard of. So, yes, Jermaine's beaten Janet in this one small category, the YT figures.

And even that collaboration with another artist. Which isn't all that impressive for the incredible pop icon she's portrayed as.
As I say, we'll have to agree to disagree on this. She is a pop icon, imo.

In the world she is very much in Michael's shadow.
Well, there's no question about that. All of the Jacksons are in Michael's shadow. He is a superstar that we can't even describe, there's no-one like him.

Jermaine had little promotion during Motown. But when he came to Arista, Clive Davis saw potential in Jermaine.
it's no coincidence that he got a solo set on Victory's tour.
His songs were heard in many famous films of the 80s (Beverly Hills Cop 2, Perfect). Outstanding co-authors and producers such as Michael Omartian, Kashif, Surface, Babyface were attracted to him. But in the end, something went wrong (in early 90s).
By the way, Jermaine crossed paths with Jimmy Jam and Lewis before they started working with Janet! In 1985 Jam and Lewis were Howard Johnson's managers. And Jermaine participated in the production of his album "The Vision" . The executive producers of that album were Jem and Lewis))

@zinniabooklover

You never heard when the rain begins to fall?!? 😂 that is insane. Now im not in the UK I know but I would wager where I am from it is the 4th most played “Jackson” song after Michael’s holy 3. It is really insane, not a party goes by without that song!

The other huge song is “do what you do” which is one of my favorite ballads.

Btw What Janet songs do you like?
That’s the way love goes is probably my favorite with Got till It’s gone.

@zinniabooklover
You never heard when the rain begins to fall?!?
I looked at it briefly, it really didn't ring a bell, I did not like it. Jermaine doesn't interest me and Pia Zadora was a bit of a joke in the UK so the film wouldn't have registered with me at all.

that is insane. Now im not in the UK I know but I would wager where I am from it is the 4th most played “Jackson” song after Michael’s holy 3. It is really insane, not a party goes by without that song!
Maybe the song is well known in the UK but I seriously doubt it. I have no memory of this thing on the radio or anywhere else, tbh. It didn't even crack the Top 40, only got as far as No.68. Although, Let's Get Serious didn't get into the UK charts at all, iirc, so ... 🤷🏽‍♀️

The other huge song is “do what you do” which is one of my favorite ballads.
😶

Btw What Janet songs do you like?
That’s the way love goes is probably my favorite with Got till It’s gone.
Janet used to bore the pants off me. She's OK, decent voice, decent material but it was all too smooth and tidy for my liking. Her dancing? I'd rather watch Paula Abdul. Her singing? I mean, she's OK but I can think of 20 other singers I'd rather listen to.

I do always watch every clip of Scream from her shows and there's been loads posted from this current tour. I caught a slightly longer clip which included the segue into Black Cat so that was cool. Then another clip popped up where she's doing the screaming bit in Black Cat, the bit towards the end. It was her mature voice which I haven't really heard before, not properly. And I was hooked. Her mature voice has got all the fire and soul which I think is missing from her studio work (imo). That said, I will now have to revisit Rhythm Nation (my fave track there is The Knowledge, same as Michael). What do I think of it now? Did I miss something first time around?

Her mature voice has got layers and layers that her younger voice didn't have (obviously couldn't have had). I'll be digging into her live work way more than the studio albums. It's going to be interesting. I love the way she's presenting herself to her audience compared to her earlier tours. I love her outfits, her sass, her physicality ... she's just different now and way more interesting to me.

She was in Belgium last night. Her audience seems to have had a good time.

I looked at it briefly, it really didn't ring a bell, I did not like it. Jermaine doesn't interest me and Pia Zadora was a bit of a joke in the UK so the film wouldn't have registered with me at all.
I knew you would not like it lol
Is this the smilie that means you hate it :D
She was in Belgium last night. Her audience seems to have had a good time.
Does she even sing live? Maybe bits and pieces. I'll watch a show one of these days. Because when I did the same with Madonna I strangely liked it, remember? lol
I had no idea she was in Belgium so it can only mean the media isn't all that excited about it. It is way different when the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Madonna or Billie Eilish are here.

PS I tried watching some Prince shows too but they bore me to death. I stick to the studio work with him despite his phenomenal and probably justified live reputation.

I knew you would not like it lol
:ROFLMAO:
Is this the smilie that means you hate it :D
😶 That's the emoji I use when I've taken a Vow of Silence! :ROFLMAO:

Does she even sing live? Maybe bits and pieces.
I know she uses pre-recorded vocals for some of the songs. Presumably the dance-heavy ones although I don't think she does the energetic dance routines she used to do. She is 58, after all. What I don't know is how much live singing she does. I've seen comments saying she does do some live vocals but nothing that really confirms it for me. Tbh, I don't mind too much. We are where we are so, y'know ... whatever. At least her audience gets to hear her mature voice, that's probably as much as you can hope for these days.

Since I've never paid much attention to her I'm not sure which songs would get the live treatment. Presumably the ballads?

I'll watch a show one of these days. Because when I did the same with Madonna I strangely liked it, remember? lol
I do remember! Tbf, you watched Madonna's Like A Virgin tour and she was very young then. Janet's middle-aged so if you watch one of her current shows it's going to be a whole different ball game. Assuming they are even up as a complete show, I'm not sure.

I had no idea she was in Belgium so it can only mean the media isn't all that excited about it. It is way different when the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Madonna or Billie Eilish are here.
Tell me about it. Wall-to-wall Bruce when he was here. Ditto Foo Fighters.

PS I tried watching some Prince shows too but they bore me to death. I stick to the studio work with him despite his phenomenal and probably justified live reputation.
I am exactly the same. It's odd bc I very often prefer people's live stuff over the studio stuff but with him it's the complete opposite. I do love watching him rehearse or do sound checks. Then he is magnificent, imo. Especially when he's at the piano doing very bluesy / jazzy stuff. But live, I just can't. Actually, that's a complete lie, there are a few bits I love. Let me think ...

There is footage of him backing Chaka Khan when she guested at one of his after-shows at Camden Palace. Those clips are amazing, there's no showy stuff, just great playing. The SNL thing ('Electric Chair'). 'The Future' at the Tokyo Dome in 1990 - I really like the staging for that. 'The Ladder' Tokyo 2002 is one of my top, top faves. He's basically preaching so if that's not appealing to you perhaps best avoid that one but it's a great performance, imo. Very bluesy, very gospel-ly, very moving, very soulful. There's also his performance of 'Motherless Child' which is beyond awesome (Spanish tv show, Septimo, 1999). Basically destroys me!

But, generally, his actual shows, I don't like them and I have really tried. Superbowl, Coachella, various gigs he did. I always give up. Give me the studio tracks every time! I do like the way he stages his shows, he uses the space really well. But musically, the dancing, his band, his backing singers, none of it really captures me.

I have to go and pay attention to Miss Janet, lol.

Last edited:
Back