A Collection Of All TV Programs, News Stories & Magazine Articles

Lorraine

Proud Member
Country
United-Kingdom
I just got this over my local shop..
I will post some pictures from inside soon.

30660_135784096437302_100000171364843_413784_6374330_n.jpg

Some negatives and positives about the Mag.

Positives:
The pictures are great, quite a few that I have not seen before. Over 200 pictures.
They call Murray "Dr. Death"
No mention of the allegations.
Touching foreward by Tito.
Mentions the facts that Michael did have vitiligo and lupus.

Negatives:
Speculation about Blanket's birth mother.
Speculation about prescription drug use.
Speculation about Michael's physical condition during rehearsals for TII.
Show pictures of the room that Michael died in, plus the bloody shirt.

^ Source: http://www.michaeljackson.com/us/node/851217

Here is where we will keep all reflections of Michael a year after he is no longer here.

http://www.spinner.com/2010/06/23/michael-jackson-death-anniversary/

Michael Jackson, One Year Later
Posted on Jun 23rd 2010 12:15PM by James Sullivan

Michael Jackson's all-world 'Thriller' album was just turning three when a little girl named Janelle was born in late 1985 in Kansas City, Kan. The girl grew up loving the energetic superstar – his total devotion to entertainment and self-expession – and she started seeking out older clips of his TV appearances as a child star.

"I was so inspired by the song 'Ben,'" says Janelle Monae, now one of the brightest stars among countless performers who learned how to give everything they have from Jackson. "His voice gave me chills."

Monae's 3-year-old nephew has also become "infatuated" with the 'Thriller' album. At that age, he knows nothing, she says, about Jackson's odd, troubled and ultimately tragic private life. On the one-year anniversary of the singer's startling death, it's the music that truly matters, say some of his biggest admirers.

"I think once a year, when his life is chronicled, people will have to touch on the negative points, because it's all documented," says the nationally syndicated radio DJ Tom Joyner. "But for the rest of the year, his musical genius will overshadow his personal problems."

"I grew up on Michael Jackson," says Nelson George, noted author of 'The Death of Rhythm and Blues,' 'Hip Hop America' and the just-published 'Thriller: The Musical Life of Michael Jackson.' The writer and the singer were roughly the same age; George's 20-something nieces also grew up on Michael, and now a friend's 8-year-old son is watching all the Jackson videos.

"Loves him so much, he wanted to get a Jheri curl," George says with a laugh.

Michael Jackson's timeless, multi-generational appeal has to do with the purity of his artistry, says the author.

"There was just something about this guy. If you cut through all the life [stuff] and just watch what he does, he had a tremendous power. He had a joy, an innocence, a commitment to performance that was really unique.

"Elvis wasn't that. The Beatles aren't that. It was something different."

For Howard Kramer, curatorial director of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Jackson undoubtedly belongs on the same level as those other titans of pop. Among the many oddities about Jackson's life were the facts that he was once married to Presley's daughter, and he famously owned publishing rights to the Beatles' music.

"It's the identical thing you could say about Presley," says Kramer, who has planned a weekend of Hall of Fame events to commemorate Jackson's life and death. "Their fans accept all their faults. And those who want to emphasize the failings, they can do that, but they're missing the bigger picture.

"When these people die, they leave behind their artwork. I can always go back and listen to [Elvis'] 'Sun Sessions' or [Michael's] 'Off the Wall.'"

Kramer says he saw the reunited Jackson 5 on their 1981 'Triumph' tour, "and it was spectacular. That's what I'll take with me."

The job of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, says the curator, is to focus on the music and where it fits in history. The inductees' "human shortcomings" – in Jackson's case, the tabloid fodder of his child-molestation charges, his plastic surgery and other problems – while not ignored, typically take a backseat. Kramer says the Hall's unofficial policy is "Trust the art, not the artist."

Joyner, who calls one of his sons "Thriller," says he thinks Jackson's sleeping problems (the singer died of "acute propofol intoxication," an overdose of a powerful anesthetic) resulted from the stress of "striving to perfect his game... There's a huge cost for living the kind of life he did, and I think we fans got more out of it than Michael did."

The colossal impact of Jackson's 'Thriller,' still the best-selling album of all time (by some estimates as many as 100 million copies sold worldwide), marked the last great achievement of the 20th century music industry, says Nelson George. The promotional significance of MTV in its infancy, the unifying force of pop radio, the emphasis on selling physical product, not computer files: 'Thriller,' he says, was the last time "one artist could become a dominant figure in popular culture."

That's no knock on the success of contemporary superstars such Lady Gaga or Beyoncé, George says. "But when 'Thriller' came out, people stopped what they were doing to watch the video. People's childhoods were defined by that experience. That bigness, that sense of hugeness, would be hard for any recording artist to match today."

George recently attended a hip-hop show in Brooklyn, N.Y., where the DJ dropped a classic Jackson 5 record into the mix. Before Jackson's death, says the writer, the relentless coverage of the singer's dismaying private life made many fans turn their backs.

"There was a whole group of people who loved the music, and they got real quiet," he says. Jackson's troubles "made them uncomfortable and sad.

"Now, they're reasserting themselves. They're really back."

Monae just taped a version of Charlie Chaplin's standard 'Smile' – one of Jackson's favorite songs – for Billboard. On Friday, one year to the day after Jackson died, she will be honored as this year's recipient of ASCAP's Vanguard Award at the company's Rhythm and Soul Awards.

"I believe when you die you pass on to a different frequency," she says. "You can't stop the energy. It will continue to recycle itself."

In Jackson's case, the energy was off the wall.

I only posted part of this article for the sensitive.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ashley-wren-collins/using-michael-jacksons-le_b_622304.html

I honestly don't care which category you fall into; it's not worth our time and energy to debate this subject any longer. Let us hope the best for his children, and for those who find his musical legacy and philanthropy inspiring, let us hope they use this as fodder to continue moving forward in their own artistic creations and activism.

What I am interested in is doing not a little bit of revisionist history per se, but a little Andrew Jackson number on his brother with the same surnamesake, Michael Jackson. Take a look at Kenny Ortega's documentary, This Is It, compiled from the footage of Michael Jackson's preparation leading up to his series of concerts that were to be held in London in July 2009.

Look at the nonstop patience, gratitude, and professionalism Michael exudes and extends to his colleagues and collaborators at all times. Look at how he rehearses over and over and over again until he gets it right, and how he never complains or whines that he's too tired, or it's too difficult. Look at how his attitude encourages everyone around him to deliver. If you are among the people who believe he was inflicting serious damage on himself with too many drugs at that time, consider that thought and how, if this is your Venn diagram of what you believe to be true, he certainly didn't let it affect his work. Even if he was "phoning it in" or holding himself back while in rehearsal mode, the exteriority of the verisimilitude in his performance far surpasses most people, even on their best day.

Let's hold this legacy of the passionate, hardworking Michael Jackson up to today's youth all over the world and open a can of whoop ass on the massive, pathetic atrophy of their work ethic. We are plagued by an entire generation of youth with an incredible command of their own sense of entitlement. In the summer of 2006, I had to spend 7 weeks working part-time outside of the office. When I told my subordinate he would have to take on a new responsibility to cover for me in my absence, he replied, "But what if I don't want to?"

Every child, every person in this world, even without Michael Jackson's innate talent or the money brought to him through fame, can become great -- a great teacher, a great administrative assistant, a great Volvo technician, a great volunteer, a great banker, a great plumber, a great computer engineer, a great friend. Let us tell these children about Michael Jackson and say, "Are you willing to work this hard for what you want every day? Are you willing to invest the time to learn what you need to learn, to say 'yes' to every possibility and every opportunity, to go above and beyond what is merely 'expected'?"

Let's sweep the inquiries surrounding pedophilia charges, bizarre behavior, and marriages under the carpet, and let the music, dancing, philanthropy, and above all, hard work, and the striving for perfection live on, and say to our children, "Yes, you are right, 'We Are the World.' It's time you take a look at the 'Man in the Mirror' and think about what you're going to do about it and how you're going to contribute. Because it's a choice. And your decision, whether you see it or not, affects everyone and everything around you." These lessons are invaluable and their reward is infinite, worth far more than one green Andrew Jackson.

Follow Ashley Wren Collins on Twitter: www.twitter.com/@wrenashley

A video is also included on the website:
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1642233/20100623/bun_b_1.jhtml

Bun B On Michael Jackson: 'Let That Man Rest In Peace'
'I just wish that people would leave well enough alone,' ex-UGK MC says.
By Shaheem Reid

2 1 0 More »Text Size Decrease Increase ...
Friday marks the one-year anniversary of the death of Michael Jackson, and as fans reflect on his life and musical legacy, Bun B says we should preserve his memory by remembering what a remarkable entertainer he was, rather than all that other stuff.

"I just wish that people would leave well enough alone," Bun said. "It's still a lot of mess surrounding [his death], it's a lot of people that are willing to entertain people who are looking for mess. I'm not going to name names, 'cause everybody deals with grief differently. I think they should leave well enough alone. If they want to have one thing a year for Mike, that's fine — of course, however they choose to honor him [privately is fine]. But I think they just need to let the fans do their thing [in celebrating]. Let that man rest in peace."

Bun also feels that Michael's three children should be kept out of the spotlight.

"I think they should definitely pull the kids back," he said. "Take his children and pull them back. Dude ain't never want that for his kids. I think that for a life of being misunderstood, and [having]miscommunications and not discussing a lot of what was going on with himself, I think the one thing we could all draw from him was that he didn't want anybody bothering his children. He didn't want them to deal with the type of craziness and madness that comes with being in this industry. Unfortunately, it looks like some people want to pull them in this mess for money, which is unfortunate because the estate of Michael Jackson isn't hurting for no money. A lot of people should leave well enough alone."

http://itn.co.uk/c44af72c2517e731aeb167557a05f70a.html

A year on, stars think about Michael Jackson

One year after the unexpected death of pop superstar Michael Jackson, his peers recall an immensely talented performer gone too soon.

"He was the kind of performer that you just don't forget. He was legendary, his music is going to go on and on, a perennial artist, forever," said the queen of soul Aretha Franklin.

Meanwhile singer Jennifer Lopez said,"I mean just as a performer, anybody who does what we do, sings and dances, as an entertainment looks up to him because he did it at such a high level, you know?"

Her husband Marc Antony added, "One of a kind, once in a lifetime."

Jackson died at the age of 50 on June 25, 2009.

http://www.vibe.com/content/long-convo-withtito-jackson

So did you hear the one about Tito Jackson? From Eddie Murphy’s hilarious 1983 Delirious routine to late night talk show monologues, over the years there have been no shortage of jokes when it comes to the most obscure Jackson brother. But a full re-evaluation of the 56-year-old guitarist may be in order. His underrated talent was on display on the The Jacksons: A Family Dynasty. The man credited with forming the Jackson 5 is a serious musician who takes his ax game and outside business pursuits seriously (peep his Tito Jackson Signature Hat Collection).

As part of VIBE’s week-long tribute to Michael Jackson—marking the 1st year anniversary of the King of Pop’s June 25, 2009 death—Tito opens up about his thoughts on the legacy of MJ; his very first solo album; the early days of the Jackson 5; and his unabashed passion for the blues.--Keith Murphy

micheal-jackson-6.jpg

VIBE: What are your thoughts about how some of the harshest critics of your brother changed their tune about Michael after his death?

Tito: It makes me feel good because I always knew that my brother was the greatest entertainer that we’ve ever seen. He was something special. This was [something I saw] way before the music and Motown; I’m talking about back in Gary, Indiana. I think Michael got to a point where they didn’t understand the heights that he had reached. When you are so high there is nowhere else to go but down. And the same people that put you at those heights are the very people that will bring you down. Michael had no reason to hate anything or hurt anyone. I think a lot of people knew who my brother actually was but they chose not to give him that credit or that respect.

But that outpouring of love and respect has to be bittersweet for your family.

What hurts me more than anything is that I wish he were here to see the gratitude that the world has for him. When we don’t understand that kind of love or caring for people we tend to think that there’s more to it than meets the eye, when it’s actually simple and pure.

His critics now have to go hide. The world showed how much Michael is loved. Now that he’s not here anymore, we will never have another one. [Everyone remembers that] little kid who was eight years old on The Ed Sullivan Show. But I remember him from five years before that, I remember when he was not even in school singing like a bird. It would make you shake your head [in disbelief.]

When was the last time you saw Michael before his death?

My mom and dad had an anniversary gathering for their 60th year. And we all were there—the children, the grand kids…we all got together at a restaurant for a dinner. This was in L.A. and that was the last time I saw Michael. The last thing he told me, he always would give me a hug and I’d tell him I love him and he would tell me he loves me more. Those were the last words I heard from my brother.

What were your thoughts on This Is It?

I can’t watch that movie. I haven’t seen it. It’s still too soon.

The Jackson 5’s 1968 audition for Motown has now become the stuff of legend. What do you remember most about that moment in time?

I remember Michael was like Kobe Bryant to the Lakers. That’s what he meant to the Jackson 5. We were all talented—Jermaine, Jackie, Marlon and myself. But we knew with Michael on our team we weren’t going to fail. We knew we were getting that deal. Before the audition we were at the Apollo doing a show and we had the choice of either doing the Motown [audition] or staying in New York and going on the Dick Cavett Show. Half of us wanted to stay and do that and the other half wanted to go and do Motown. If we did the Cavett show we would have been seen nationally. There would have been more than just Motown; we could have attracted maybe three or four record companies. But we decided on Motown because we have been following that label forever. Our whole style was Motown.

The irony is Gordy didn’t even want to take the audition, right?

Yes! Berry Gordy didn’t want to have nothing to do with the Jackson 5 because he had already caught hell from social workers with Little Stevie Wonder. He wasn’t used to working with children in the business and he didn’t understand it too well. His thinking was, “What do you mean the kid can’t do background vocals because he has to take a two hour break now? [laughs] What am I going to do with five kids?”

Okay, so I was having a debate with some other Jackson fans about what was the best Jackson tour. I picked the 1981 Triumph tour over the 1984 Victory tour. What’s your pick?

[Laughs]. That’s funny, because I think the Triumph tour was our best tour. Besides the Victory tour being the biggest Jackson’s tour and having the biggest effects and biggest returns and playing in huge stadiums, it wasn’t the best Jackson show. Remember, the ticket price was an issue. The price back then was $29. They thought that was so high…the press rode us really hard about that. But a week or two later, Madonna came out with tickets for something like $60. That justified our price. But what I really hated about the Victory tour was that Jackie wasn’t onstage with us for a lot of the dates. He broke his leg. I don’t think the world saw the Jackson brothers at their best.

Are there any plans for the Jackson brothers to tour again in the future?

I think you will see the Jacksons onstage. You will see a different type of group with a different sound. We will be missing the voice of Michael, that’s for sure. But we will still have the same Jackson harmonies and vocals from the brothers. We’ve been performing all our lives. We love what we do. I think that Michael would want us to continue the legacy.

Overall, are you happy with the way the Michael Jackson estate has been handled?

So far it’s been positive. But really, my brother has only been gone a year and so everything that has been done prior to his passing is what it is. We’ve built this on the strength of the Jackson 5, Michael, and Janet. The world will continue to hear Jackson music. The song is not over yet for the Jacksons. We have a lot of music in us.

As per Aaliyah2k:

Reverend Al Sharpton Remembers MJ

videoObjs = [ { "bulletin":"Showbiz Hotclip", "story_id":"f19355d7048aade97800435705b11b19", "xml_id":"3ad0ed09c83fd4fe993195948d06d8ee" , "link_text":"Rev Al Sharpton a year since *****\'s death" }, { "bulletin":"Showbiz Hotclip", "story_id":"f19355d7048aade97800435705b11b19", "xml_id":"dc17cf73224bb0dd540ae4cb9802efdd" , "link_text":"One year on stars remember Michael Jackson" } ]; for ( var i = 0; i < videoObjs.length; i++ ) { var videoObj = videoObjs; var xml_id = videoObj.xml_id; if ( xml_id2video[xml_id] ) { console.warn( "already seen a video for : " + xml_id ); } else { xml_id2video[xml_id] = videoObj; } } http://itn.co.uk/f19355d7048aade97800435705b11b19.html

se

Memories of Michael Jackson

Thu Jun 24 2010 07:37:23
story43b688f484325ff4d10e8363e794ad0e.jpg

Michael Jackson's former close friend, Reverend Al Sharpton has been remembering the King of Pop just days ahead of the first anniversary of his death.

"Michael Jackson didn't just master what was black music. He learned it, mastered it and expanded it, then brought it beyond the walls of musical apartheid," the civil rights activist said.

Baptist minister Sharpton often advised Jackson on business and record deals, he also delivered a eulogy at the memorial service.

The Reverend added: "He was a good man and he deserved a lot more than he got and he gave a lot more than he received."

Jackson died aged 50 in Los Angeles on June 25 of an overdose of sedatives, painkillers and the powerful anesthetic propofol just days before a series of planned comeback shows in London.

Thanks Aaliyah2k!

As per Jaye:

Official Press Release: http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...x.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Commodores Re-Record Grammy Award Winning “Nightshift” to Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on Anniversary of His Passing

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Commodores performed at Wembley Arena in London on June 25, 2009, the night Michael Jackson died. It was a somber experience for the Commodores to hear that news as they walked off the stage. The following night, JD Nicholas substituted the word Michael for Jackie in their performance of their Grammy Award winning song “Nightshift” – that one change brought the audience to their feet. That's where the idea started to re-write the song as a tribute to Michael.

“MICHAEL, he was a friend of mine”

The Commodores and Dennis Lambert (one of the original writers along with Commodores member Walter Orange and Franne Golde) have re-written the lyrics to "Nightshift" and re-recorded it with new lyrics honoring many of the great artists we have lost.

Attached is a copy mp3…We hope that you enjoy it and that radio plays it this Friday in honor of Michael on the one year anniversary of his untimely passing.

Following is an excerpt from the lyrics… Full lyrics are available upon request.

“MICHAEL, he was a friend of mine
For more than forty years, no brighter star did shine
MICHAEL, they call you, “King Of Pop”
But for your gentle soul, the pain would never stop…”

Thanks Jaye!

As per Shba1 and Suzynyc:

http://www.usmagazine.com/moviestvmusic/news/stars-remember-michael-jackson-one-year-later-2010226

This Friday, June 25, marks the one-year anniversary of Michael Jackson's shocking death at age 50.

CBS News' The Early Show will celebrate the legendary singer and performer with The King of Pop: One Year Later, an hour-long broadcast tribute (during the 8am hour) devoted to Jackson's life and legacy.

On hand to remember the superstar? Christina Aguilera, Marc Anthony, LL Cool J and Smokey Robinson -- plus British singer James Morrison, set to perform "Man in the Mirror" live.

The stars shared some of their "King of Pop" memories:

Christina Aguilera: "Music wouldn't be what it is without someone like Michael Jackson. I remember going to my high school talent show singing 'The Way You Make Me Feel' and being a huge fan of his album Bad. I know all my dancers wouldn't be behind me dancing if it weren't for that."

Marc Anthony: "A Michael Jackson comes around literally once in a lifetime. They break the mold and I think there're people who just sacrifice their life, their personal life all for the arts. That's what Michael did; he sacrificed his life for the arts."

LL Cool J: "I think one of the coolest things he told me was never limit yourself; the fact that if people can whistle your songs then they can understand it all over the world. Because there are language barriers...People speak different languages all over the world. Melody is king and I think Michael really understood that...What we didn't lose is his legacy and that incredible catalogue and body of work...We may have lost the man, but we didn't lose the legacy. The legacy is actually bigger than that one human being. That legacy touched millions."

Thanks Shba1 and Suzynyc!

Tussauds planning Jackson tribute
Published: June 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM

WASHINGTON, June 22 (UPI) -- Madame Tussauds says wax figures of U.S. pop star Michael Jackson are being prominently featured at its attractions to mark the first anniversary of his death.

Madame Tussauds Washington D.C. said its studio artists will position Jackson's wax figure in the attraction's lobby, touch up the figure's makeup, style its hair and prepare its outfit for a special Michael Jackson Tribute Exhibit Wednesday.

"Madame Tussauds D.C. joins all nine Madame Tussauds attractions worldwide -- from Shanghai to New York -- in paying tribute to Jackson, whose untimely passing June 25 of last year shocked the world," the tourist attraction said in a news release Tuesday. "Each attraction will create its own tribute exhibit. Madame Tussauds D.C.'s exhibit will be free to the public, so that Washingtonians and visiting passersby alike will have a chance to be close to the 'King of Pop' once again."

The 50-year-old recording artist died of an overdose of the anesthetic drug propofol. Jackson's personal physician is awaiting trial on an involuntary manslaughter charge in the singer's death.

The Tussard's in NYC will hold a free show as well for all of you NYers. I will be going to see that tomorrow on my lunch break.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai..._the_jaxpot_lotsa_tributes_to_1year_anny.html

Michael Jackson tribute programs to air on TV, radio on one-year anniversary of pop star's death

Just about everyone who ever met Michael Jackson will be on television tomorrow, as the anniversary of his death brings a blizzard of reports on either how it happened or what it has meant.

Those who prefer to remember Jackson primarily for his music can turn on the radio, where several stations will go all-Michael.

Jackson died a year ago tomorrow, at age 50, on the eve of a comeback tour. Those who will talk about him include his mother, Katherine, in a paid interview for "Dateline NBC."

His brothers Jermaine and Tito will talk with Don Lemon on CNN, while ABC's "2-0/20" will look at unanswered questions about his death.

The CBS "Early Show" will have artists like Marc Anthony and LL Cool J talk about Jackson, and TV Guide will show a new documentary, "Gone Too Soon."

Here are some TV programs, all tomorrow unless noted:

ABC: "2-0/20" special, "Michael Jackson: After Life," 9-11 p.m.

CBS: 8 a.m. hour of "The Early Show" is devoted to Jackson.

CNN: "Michael Jackson: The Final Days," 8 p.m., with Don Lemon, followed by a Larry King special tribute, 9 p.m.

E!: "True Hollywood Story" (repeat), 8 a.m. and 1 p.m.; "The Last Days of Michael Jackson," 10 a.m., 3 and 8 p.m.; "Michael Jackson," 11 a.m., 4 and 9 p.m.

Fuse: Starting today, in heavy rotation through Sunday: "A Tribute," "The Inside Story," "Remember His Time," "Devotion."

MTV: "Michael Jackson Top 10 Video Countdown," 5-6:30 p.m.; "Michael Jackson's Influence," 6:30 p.m.

NBC: "Dateline," 9 p.m., Katherine Jackson interview.

TV Guide: "Gone Too Soon," 9-11 p.m.; "Michael Jackson's Entourage: Where Are They Now," and "Michael Jackson: His Family Dynasty," 11 p.m.

VH1: "The Jacksons: An American Family," noon-5 p.m.; "Famous Crime Scenes," 11:30 p.m.

And on the radio:

WBLS (107.5 FM): Musical features all weekend and comments from celebrities and friends. Supporting the Rev. Al Sharpton's tribute tomorrow afternoon at the Apollo.

WCBS-FM (101.1): Listener-voted countdown of top 40 Michael songs, tomorrow at 9 a.m., plus Jackson songs all weekend in "Hall of Fame."

WHTZ (100.3 FM): A Jackson song every hour tomorrow.

WKTU (103.5 FM): "MJ All Day," 24 hours tomorrow, followed by Jackson music and specials all weekend.

WKXW (101.5 FM): Tribute with Joe Henry, tomorrow at 7 p.m., leading to a Jackson weekend.

WRKS (98.7 FM): Kicks off all-Jackson weekend tomorrow at 6 a.m. with the D.L. Hughley morning show. Also supporting "Throwback Comes to Harlem" concert at the Apollo, tomorrow night at 9, celebrating Jackson.

WXRK (92.3 FM): Jackson in a 5 p.m. minimix tomorrow.

Sirius/XM: Hourly Jackson songs tomorrow over "80s on 8," "70s on 7" and other channels.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1642305/20100624/story.jhtml
Where Were You When Michael Jackson Died?
Drake, Game Remember
B.o.B., Flo Rida, J. Cole also speak about Jackson's untimely death one year ago today.
By Mawuse Ziegbe

The death of Michael Jackson a year ago today touched millions of people, including hip-hop stars who, like so many of us, grew up with his music. And like so many of us, they remember exactly where they were when reports of Jackson's death first came in.

Game, like many fans, was suspicious when he first heard that Jackson had passed away. "I was at the crib, didn't believe it," Game said. "[The news] came through in a text message and people are always pulling pranks on text messages. So I immediately turned on the news and they were saying he went into cardiac arrest."

Drake was more incredulous than suspicious. "When he passed, I was in Toronto. I remember, I saw my mom that night," he said. "It was weird. It was somebody that you just don't picture not being here. It's Mike, you know?"

Jackson's untimely passing was doubly shocking because it occurred as he was just weeks away from beginning his sold-out This Is It run of concerts at London's O2 Arena.

"He looked like in A-1 shape and to hear that news, it was definitely devastating," Flo Rida said.

"He literally gave his life to entertainment. He couldn't live a normal life because of that," said rising MC J. Cole, referring to the intense fame the star grappled with for most of his life. "That's how much he loved to do this."

With the indelible impact he left on music and pop culture, for many stars Jackson remains the final word when it comes to showstopping entertainment. As ATL's B.o.B said, "His spirit and his music are so strong that he's very much alive, still."

MTV will be remembering the life and music of Michael Jackson all weekend. Don't miss the one-hour special "Michael Jackson's Influence on Music," airing tonight at 6:30 p.m. on MTV.

http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/06/25/michael-jackson-one-year/
Michael Jackson's death one year later: Where were you when you heard the news?
by Simon Vozick-Levinson
Categories: In Memoriam, Michael Jackson
One year ago, I was sitting right here inside EW’s offices at my desk. It was nearly 5 p.m. on June 25, 2009. The afternoon was winding down. When I saw an online breaking-news alert that Michael Jackson had been rushed to an L.A. hospital in cardiac arrest, I’ll admit I didn’t feel too concerned at first. People survive heart attacks all the time, I told myself; someone as famous as Jackson would surely receive the best medical care, right? Maybe I just wasn’t ready to acknowledge what was happening.

Michael Jackson died that day at age 50. I immediately began numbly drafting a list of 18 key moments in his life for EW.com, tracing his journey from the Jackson 5′s first hit to the announcement of his This Is It farewell concerts. Later that evening, I found myself listening to all the Michael Jackson music I could get my hands on to help process the loss.

I loved his hits before then, of course. But it wasn’t until Jackson’s death that I realized just how many of his songs I knew by heart, and how much they really meant to me. I thought back to the worn-out cassette copies of Thriller and Bad that my family had owned when I was growing up. The next few weeks I listened to little but MJ. My girlfriend (now wife) and I filled two CD mixes with our favorites of his, and we still had to leave out plenty. We kept going back over his discography all through the summer of 2009. Was it solely the tragedy of his death that gave his work such resonance in retrospect? I don’t think so. But I’m sure I’m not the only one whose relationship to Michael Jackson’s music was deeply changed by the events of last June 25.

Now, a year later, I think back on that afternoon when the news first broke. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. Do you? Take a look at some of EW’s special Michael Jackson content, then share your memories of the day he passed away in the comments section.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010...one-year-after-his-death-thrilling-the-world/
Michael Jackson: One Year After His Death, Thrilling the World.Search
By Nelson George

Michael Jackson in “Thriller” in 1983.I was in Beijing, China two weeks ago, a city that is hurtling toward world domination as quickly as its seven lane highways can take it. Like any American visitor I looked for signs of our pop culture in the center of capitalist communism. On the basketball courts I found Kobe Bryant and even Team USA jerseys. Facebook and Twitter are like ghostly presences, felt because of the very fact they are blocked. I spotted an ad for some movie featuring John Cusack and Asian actors at a bus stop.

In the hip 798 Art Zone there are cheeky t-shirts that feature Obamao, a mash-up of our President with Chairman Mao that either confirms the Tea Party’s worse fears or suggests the Chinese have a much cheekier sense of humor than the West give them credit for. But the most beautiful image of America I observed in Beijing was a lovely yellow and black poster featuring a smiling Michael Jackson with some Chinese characters underneath, which translated to “I look to heaven to fulfill its prophecy.”

I’m not sure what the poster makers mean by that, but its tone and image felt reverent, which is in keeping with how Michael Jackson was pretty much viewed around the world even before his demise a year ago today. While his career and reputation have been in domestic free fall since the mid-90s, Michael was still an respected entertainer in most of the world, a feeling that was certainly intensified by his death. Even before he had announced his fifty comeback shows in London, a weakly mounted jukebox musical called “Thriller” was selling out in that city’s West End. I went to see it in early 2009 and left more impressed with its multi-national audience than the onstage recreation of Jackson’s life.

It is here, in his home country, that death has truly served his reputation. While Jackson’s critics certainly are still out there, his fans have come out of the musical closet to re-assert their love of the man. The millions of people who were charmed by the Jackson Five, purchased “Thriller” and practiced his dance moves in front of bedroom mirrors have been liberated by his death to overlook the faults and celebrate the joy he inspired. No longer dispirited by scandalous new reports or put off by his kids wearing hoods in public, this silent majority of music lovers have given free reign to their delight by purchasing millions of dollars in CDs, merchandise and DVDs.

Michael Jackson in New York City in the 1970s.This is not simply old heads feeling nostalgic. Kids in the single digits have spend the past year hearing the music and seeing the dances, and are growing up with Jackson as a favorite alongside Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga and what passes for pop in 2010. I’ve seen this phenomenon first hand and I’ve had numerous people tell me stories of sons and daughters, entranced by Jackson’s image in the wake of the video marathons his death engendered.

As the greatest artist of the now long-gone MTV music video era, it is quite apt that Jackson is now cultivating a new generation of fans via iPhone, iPad and other mobile devices. His music, clothes and moves are easily adaptable to the ways young people consume culture now. So while Michael’s body is gone, the sonic and visual testaments to his greatness will likely outlast his trials and, certainly, outlive all of us.

Nelson George is the author of “Thriller: The Musical Life of Michael Jackson.”

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1642352/20100624/story.jhtml
Miley Cyrus Says 'I'm A Huge Fan Of Michael Jackson'
'Not enough people told him [how great he was],' Cyrus declares of the late King of Pop.
By Jocelyn Vena, with reporting by Sway Calloway

Much like Michael Jackson, Miley Cyrus found fame as a child star. So, on the one-year anniversary of the King of Pop's untimely death, the teen queen reflected on the man who paved the way for the pop stars who followed him. Cyrus wished more people had shared with him how much they appreciated what he did during his life.

"It's just crazy again with the media and all that. Nobody ever wrote an article just to say, 'Hey, Michael, we really appreciate what you do!' " she told MTV News. "I wish I would have had the opportunity [to tell him how I felt about him when he was alive]."

Cyrus added that people tend to remember how great an artist was when they have already passed. "Not enough people told him [how great he was] and I think it's sad that you have to wait till it's too late," she added. "But I think he knows."

The "Can't Be Tamed" singer was never able to meet Jackson and tell him how she felt, but she did pay tribute to him in her own way. During a recent appearance on "Good Morning America," she changed the Jay-Z line in "Party in the U.S.A." to reference MJ. Also, there was one other time that really stood out to her.

"I'm a huge fan of Michael Jackson. When I met Lady Gaga I was wearing a Michael Jackson T-shirt and, for me, that was completely surreal — because the female artist that inspired me and the male artist that inspired me is a lot of Lady Gaga and a lot of Michael Jackson," she explained. "And a little bit of a mix so that picture [in the MJ T-shirt meeting Gaga] means a lot to me. Again, I think God works in mysterious ways and had me wear that for a reason."

MTV will be remembering the life and music of Michael Jackson all weekend. Don't miss the one-hour special "Michael Jackson's Influence on Music," airing Friday at 6:30 p.m. on MTV.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1642298/20100624/jackson_michael.jhtml
Rick Ross Says Michael Jackson Was 'One Of One'
'He impacted music and mankind in a special way,' the Bawse tells MTV2's 'Sucker Free.'
By Shaheem Reid

Rick Ross says the impact Michael Jackson left on pop culture is immeasurable. Like many people around the globe, the Bawse is reflecting on Jackson's life and legacy with the one-year anniversary of his untimely death on Friday.

"My second album, Trilla, was named after Michael Jackson's Thriller album, which I feel is the number-one album in the history of musical life form," Ross told MTV's "Sucker Free" this past weekend in Atlanta at the Philips Arena during the Birthday Bash 15 concert. "Shout-out to Quincy Jones; send your boy a beat! Just to see [Michael's] story, him as a kid, his siblings. That was a story I felt that any black family growing up could relate to. To see the heights that he took it to at such a young age. He set so many trends. Of course he had a great voice. Of course the ladies loved him. They needed oxygen machines at his shows. People were fainting a lot of times. We don't speak enough on him being a fashion icon. His shades, the [Ray-Ban] Wings, those are the shades I wear to this day. He also became famous for the glove, the jacket, the socks, the penny loafers, the flooding pants. He was a fly dude. He impacted music and mankind in a special way. He's one of one. It'll never come again."

Ross' peers, such as Bun B, Ludacris and Busta Rhymes, have also talked to MTV News about Jackson this week. Rhymes insisted that Jackson's King of Pop nickname deserves an upgrade.

"It ain't even just the 'King of Pop' no more," Bus said. "I think we gon' bury that and we gon' give you the new attribute that goes along with your greatness, as the 'King of Music.' "

http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/...jacksons-unparalleled-influence/58616/Michael Jackson's Unparalleled Influence
Jun 24 2010, 11:37 AM ET | Comment

Michael Jackson was the most influential artist of the 20th century. That might sound shocking to sophisticated ears. Jackson, after all, was only a pop star. What about the century's great writers like Fitzgerald and Faulkner? What about visual artists, like Picasso and Dali, or the masters of cinema from Chaplin to Kubrick? Even among influential musicians, did Michael really matter more than the Beatles? What about Louis Armstrong, who invented jazz, or Frank Sinatra, who reinvented it for white people? Or Elvis Presley, who did the same with blues and gospel, founding rock in the process? Michael Jackson is bigger than Elvis? By a country mile.

First, there is no question that musicians in the 20th century had far more cultural impact than any other sort of artist. There is no such thing, for instance, as a 20th-century painter that is more famous than an entertainer like Sinatra. There are no filmmakers or movie stars that had more cultural sway than The Beatles, and no 20th-century writers who touched more lives than Elvis. Consider that thousands of human beings, from Bangkok to Brazil, make their living by pretending to be Elvis Presley. When was the last time you saw a good impression of Picasso? Even Elvis, though, is overshadowed by Jackson's career.

First, with the possible exception of Prince and Sammy Davis Jr., Michael Jackson simply had more raw talent as a performer than any of his peers. But the King of Pop reigns as the century's signature artist not just because of his exceptional talent, but because he was able to package that talent in a whole new way. In both form and content, Jackson simply did what no one had done before.

Louis Armstrong, for instance, learned music as a live performer and adapted his art for records and radio. Sinatra and Elvis were also basically live acts who made records, ultimately expanding that on-stage persona into other media through sheer force of charisma. The Beatles were a hybrid; a once-great live band made popular by radio and TV, forced by their own fame to become rock's first great studio artists.

Jackson, though, was something else entirely. Something new. Obviously he made great records, usually with the help of Quincy Jones. Jackson's musical influence on subsequent artists is simply unavoidable, from his immediate followers like Madonna and Bobby Brown, to later stars like Usher and Justin Timberlake.

Certainly, Jackson could also electrify a live audience. His true canvas, though, was always the video screen. Above all, he was the first great televisual entertainer. From his Jackson 5 childhood, to his adult crossover on the Motown 25th anniversary special, to the last sad tabloid fodder, Jackson lived and died for on TV. He was born in 1958, part of the first generation of Americans who never knew a world without TV. And Jackson didn't just grow up with TV. He grew up on it. Child stardom, the great blessing and curse of his life, let him to internalize the medium's conventions and see its potential in a way that no earlier performer possibly could.

The result, as typified by the videos for "Thriller," "Billie Jean," and "Beat It," was more than just great art. It was a new art form. Jackson turned the low-budget, promotional clips record companies would make to promote a hit single into high art, a whole new genre that combined every form of 20th century mass media: the music video. It was cinematic, but not a movie. There were elements of live performance, but it was nothing like a concert. A seamless mix of song and dance that wasn't cheesy like Broadway, it was on TV but wildly different from anything people had ever seen on a screen.

The oft-repeated conventional wisdom—that Jackson's videos made MTV and so "changed the music industry" is only half true. It's more like the music industry ballooned to encompass Jackson's talent and shrunk down again without him. Videos didn't matter before Michael, and they ceased to matter at almost the precise cultural moment he stopped producing great work. His last relevant clip, "Black or White," was essentially the genre's swan song. Led by Nirvana and Pearl Jam, the next wave of pop stars hated making videos, seeing the entire format, and the channel they aired on, as tools of corporate rock.

The greatest impact of the music video wasn't on music, but video. That is, on film and television. The generation that grew up watching '80s videos started making movies and TV shows in the '90s, using MTV's once-daring stylistic elements like quick cuts, vérité-style hand-helds, nonlinear narrative and heavy visual effects and turning them into mainstream TV and film movie conventions.

If Jackson had only been a great musician who also invented music video, he still wouldn't have mattered as much. Madonna, his only worthy heir, was almost as gifted at communicating an aesthetic on-screen. The aesthetic Jackson communicated, however, was much more powerful, liberating and globally resonant than hers. It was more powerful than what Elvis and Sinatra communicated, too. Hence, that whole "Most Influential Artist" thing.

American popular music has always been about challenging stereotypes and breaking down barriers. Throughout the century, be it in Jazz, Rock or Hip-Hop, black and white artists mixed styles, implicitly, and often explicitly, advocating racial equality. Popular music has always challenged sex roles, too. Top 40 artists especially, from Little Richard and proto-feminist Leslie Gore, to David Bowie, Madonna and Lady Gaga have pushed social progress by bending and breaking gender rules.

Jackson was clearly a tragic figure, and his well-documented childhood trauma didn't help. But his fatal flaw, and simultaneously the source of his immense power, was a truly revolutionary Romantic vision. Not Romantic in the sappy way greeting card companies and florists use the word, but in its older, Byronic sense of someone who commits their entire life to pursing a creative ideal in defiance of social order and even natural law. Jackson's Romantic ideal, learned as a child at Motown founder Berry Gordy's feet, was an Age of Aquarius-inspired vision using of pop music to build racial, sexual, generational and religious harmony. His twist, though, was a doozy.

He not only made art promoting pop's egalitarian ethos, but literally tried embody it. When that vision became an obsession, a standard showbiz plastic surgery addiction became something infinitely more ambitious—and infinitely darker. Jackson consciously tried to turn himself into an indeterminate mix of human types, into a sort of ageless arch-person, blending black and white, male and female, adult and child. He was, however, not an arch-person. He was just a regular person, albeit a supremely talented one, and time makes dust of every person, no matter how well they sing. Decades of throwing himself against this irrefutable wall of fact ravaged him, body then soul, and eventually destroyed him.

At his creative peak, though, it almost seemed possible. Michael could be absolutely anything he wanted; Diana Ross one day, Peter Pan and the next. Every breathtaking high note, every impossible dance-step and crazy costume projected the same message. There are no more barriers of race, sex, class or age, he told his audience. You, too, can be and do whatever you want. We are limited only by our power to dream. A performer who can make you believe that, to feel it, even for a moment, comes along once in a lifetime. Maybe. If you're lucky.

As years pass and history sanitizes his memory, Jackson's legend will only grow. One day, in addition to being the most influential artist of the 20th century, he may well topple Elvis become the most-impersonated as well. Jackson, after all, only died a year ago. Elvis has been gone since 1977. Another two or three decades and Michael might have the most impersonators from Bangkok and Brazil. Let's just hope that they don't take it too far.

If you can stomach some of the stupidity, the message is one I think many journalist are feeling whether they admit it or not.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/24/i-m-sorry-michael.html
I’m Sorry, Michael
Feeling guilty about losing Michael, one year later.

I feel a little guilty as the anniversary of Michael Jackson’s death approaches. I first felt it shortly after his death, and it’s still there, lingering. It’s the guilt of abandonment, of having loved Jackson as a performer for so long and then turned my back on him as he struggled with the many personal demons that eventually aided in ending his life.

http://www.bloginity.com/entertainm...n-on-anniversary-of-king-of-pops-death/30903/
Pharrell Remembers Michael Jackson on Anniversary of King of Pop’s Death
June 25, 2010 // 2:00 AM // Article by Brian Willett

As incredible as it may seem, a year has passed since the sudden death of King of Pop Michael Jackson, as the singer was preparing for the blockbuster This Is It world tour. Recently, N.E.R.D. frontman and producer Pharrell shared his feelings on the loss of one of the most prolific, popular artists of modern music.

“[Jackson was] one of the greatest entertainers of all time, there’s no way to measure that,” Pharrell said. “Unreal and unmatchable.”

Pharrell argued that Jackson was far ahead of his time, and managed to make it big before many of the advantages today’s artists take for granted – digital music distribution and promotion via Twitter, MySpace, Facebook, etc. – were available.

“He was ahead of technology, he was doing things that sort of set the standard for the way we do things today,” explained Pharrell. “You know, we all measure our star next to his, which is more like a sun.”

But Pharrell’s comments weren’t just those derived from worship from afar; the musician met Jackson several times and said the star’s personality was unforgettable as well.

“The times that I got to meet him and we got to hang out and talk a little bit, I am thankful for every episode,” Pharrell said. “And he’s a funny guy too. He’s like super, super duper funny.”

Pharrell also noted that Jackson was a tireless worker who shone on stage.

“That guy went through so much and so his only time to really be free was to go let it out on stage,” he said. “You got to see vigor in it’s purest form, so of course I nod to that dude. He’s the best.”

http://radio.about.com/b/2010/06/25/sirius-xm-radio-pays-tribute-to-michael-jackson.htm
SIRIUS XM Radio Pays Tribute to Michael Jackson
Friday June 25, 2010
Today SIRIUS XM Radio will commemorate the one year passing of Michael Jackson through a showcase of the singer's music across many of its commercial-free music channels. (Michael Jackson at the White House 1984, Public Domain)
'80s on 8 will feature the original MTV VJs (Mark Goodman, Nina Blackwood, Alan Hunter and Martha Quinn) sharing personal stories about Jackson along with his music.

Michael Jackson tribute specials will air on '70s on 7, '80s on 8, Heart & Soul (SIRIUS channel 51) and XM channel 62) and Soul Town (SIRIUS channel 53 and XM channel 60).

http://www.theroot.com/views/michael-jackson-writings-wall
Michael Jackson: The Writings on the Wall
The King of Pop’s greatest hits were penned by the King of Pop himself. On the one-year anniversary of his death, The Root takes a look at Jackson’s lyrical prowess.
By: Diana Ozemebhoya | Posted: June 25, 2010 at 6:50 AM

Michael Jackson's songwriting accolades are long overdue. For many, his extant death prompted scores of self-professed music connoisseurs to disinter a body of work that exhibited a ''mean pen game''--a contemporary colloquialism suggesting a profound writing ability.

This skill is not readily associated with Jackson for several reasons. For the most part, his records were up-tempo productions driven by an insanely stylized beat. His lyricism, however ingenious, could never withstand the verve of the instrumentation that routinely propelled listeners to the dance floor in a mindless recitation of profoundly unique and insightful lyrics.

Hip-hop fanatics, captivated by the genre's multifaceted, multisyllabic free-styling antics, would be remiss if they didn't take note of Jackson's lyrical skills. He, too, recorded songs completely off the cuff during impromptu recording sessions. Unbeknownst to many, he often hummed elaborate melodies for producer-extraordinaire Quincy Jones to reference when creating the musical arrangements. (And, it should be noted, Jackson often felt that he deserved co-producing credits for such arrangements.)

Jackson did away with the conventional in R&B music: the crooning, the countless romantic sentiments the genre rendered trite. Instead, he penned songs in a film noir cinematic fashion, an unprecedented fusion of writing styles. Like Quentin Tarantino and gore screenwriters alike, he scripted one of the most paranoiac crime scenes in his 1988 hit, ''Smooth Criminal,'' detailing the untimely doom of a woman named Annie. In ''Billie Jean'' and Dirty Diana,'' he told the story of two femme fatales with ulterior motives--one claiming Jackson fathered her son and the latter a shrewd and seductive groupie that ensnarls Jackson in an extramarital affair. He managed to take courting to new heights in ''The Way You Make Me Feel,'' making the perennial male pick-up lines seem sweet and endearing.

Then there were the subliminal moments of activism, as in ''Black or White''where he took a stance and condemned those who maintained their neutrality in instances of grave injustice: ''I told about equality, and it's true--either you're wrong or you're right.'' He evoked a Malcolm X-like defiance later in the song, screaming, ''I ain't scared of no sheets!''--a blatant referral to the garb popularly worn by the Klu Klux Klan.

Jackson often channeled his altruistic side as ''Man in the Mirror'' and ''We Are the World'' asked listeners to give of themselves in a manner that deeply compelled and resonated with so many.

It is unclear what inspired his kinetic prose and lyrical savvy. Jackson's childhood was a period filled with much creative expression. It was also fraught with seclusion and melancholy; perhaps his unhappy childhood compelled him to channel his inner turmoil in verse form. As a result, Jackson's imagination emerged unparalleled in its depth and nerve. His lyrics were at once surreal, fantastical and true. And for that, writers everywhere are provoked, challenged and better for it.

Diana Ozemebhoya is a multimedia journalist living and working in Washington, D.C. Follow her on Twitter

http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/97125789.html
Tribute to Michael Jackson in Tallahassee

It may be almost one year to the day since the King of Pop has passed, but Michael Jackson thrived in the capital city Thursday night.

Folks brought out their smooth moves to the dance floor as some of their favorite MJ songs rocked the Moon in Tallahassee.

Various contests for the best moonwalk, best dressed and best "hee-hee" voice were given out throughout the night.

"We are big Michael Jackson fans. We are celebrating Michael Jackson's life and his career and we wanted to come out and dance to his biggest hits and have a blast," says a Tallahassee resident.

The free event was sponsored by Leon County Commissioner Bill Proctor, Comcast, Cumulus Broadcasting and The Moon.

Back