7.0 Richter Earthquake in Haiti...

Every new information like this is just :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
tho happy that at least your friend's daughter is well!

Thanks Limonali - I don't know how she does it - being here and working while her daughter is over there...but you should have seen her. She was beaming....she was happy, and finally got some rest!

Here is a pathetic video of a UN Food Truck in Haiti trying to distribute high energy biscuits to hungry people in Port-Au-Prince today. At first the Haitians push and shove to get to the food, and then some begin telling the people to not accept the biscuits because the "food is no good." They were mistaking the packaging date of 2008 with the expiration date of 2010. The crowd became angry and the food truck drove away with some of the people still trying to get the food.

This shows how difficult it is going to be to help people in this desperate situation.

http://www.freedomslighthouse.com/2010/01/haitian-crowd-refuses-un-food.html

I don't know Linda, but I guess after she's been through the worst nightmare of guessing and not knowing, everything must seem easier... :D:D:D

And everyone, I was thinking about what we were shown
(people getting angry or desperate not seeing the aid coming) and frustration rising for everyone
(Haiti, aid workers, people that help from everyone) and now that video with biscuits... and I just keep repeating to myself:

those people were in the worst nightmare ever.
their emotions are going to run high as hell.
we - people that are trying to help them - should NOT get emotional.
We should continue to help and accept they will be getting angry, frustrated, desperate, aggressive.
We don't know, sitting in our safe warm houses, eating food and breathing freely, what it meant to be there, so lets continue helping and not judge.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, English isn't my first language.

Last edited:
they will be getting angry, frustrated, desperate, aggressive.

article-1243910-07E4E5D7000005DC-35.jpg

article-1243910-07E5032A000005DC-10.jpg

article-1243873-07E316CC000005DC-53.jpg

article-0-07E35364000005DC-623_634x.jpg

article-0-07E34D10000005DC-687_634x.jpg

article-0-07E33CF9000005DC-879_634x.jpg

article-0-07E3319D000005DC-870_634x.jpg

article-0-07E32CC3000005DC-738_634x.jpg

article-0-07E3277F000005DC-118_634x.jpg

article-1243910-07E47D6E000005DC-95.jpg

article-0-07E44278000005DC-943_634x.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...ake-hit-island-descends-anarchy.html#comments

To be honest I didn't even realize that this was so big tragedy until like two days ago. There's almost as much victims as in the tsunami! :(

I'll keep the people in my prayers.

Just to keep you all updated on my friend Rose's plight. Apparently, there was a prison break in Haiti. People who are living in the tent cities are getting sexually assaulted, and robbed. Please if you can do anything, pray for my friend Rose's 11 year old daughter...that she remains safe and healthy. This is horrible.

Good and bad news to report on my friend Rose. She got in touch with her daughter, she's okay and healthy and alive and well. Unfortunately, Rose lost 4 cousins...

I'm so glad to hear that your friend got in touch with her daughter. What a relief that must have been. So sorry to hear about her 4 cousins though. I hope that they are now in a better place.

Just to keep you all updated on my friend Rose's plight. Apparently, there was a prison break in Haiti. People who are living in the tent cities are getting sexually assaulted, and robbed. Please if you can do anything, pray for my friend Rose's 11 year old daughter...that she remains safe and healthy. This is horrible.
Oh no that's horrible :no:

Sewage runs, garbage piles up at Haiti quake camps

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Jan 21 (Reuters) - A child squats to defecate yards away from a sidewalk where women press plantain into bite-sized pieces for frying and a naked toddler plays with a pile of rice on the filthy ground.

Nearby, a dead body has been dumped on the street, right in front of a sea of morose people sitting on grubby mattresses, and a garbage collector uses a shovel to scoop up soggy black mounds of putrid trash composed of plastic water bags, polystyrene plates, orange peel and tin cans. Stray dogs forage.

Sanitary conditions in tent cities like this one in Port-au-Prince's once elegant Champs de Mars park around Haiti's crumbled presidential palace are worsening by the day as hundreds of thousands of survivors of last week's earthquake cram together to eat, sleep, wash and defecate.

"It's miserable here. It's dirty and it's boring. There's nothing to do but walk about," said Judeline Pierre-Rose, 12, who misses her comfortable home with its couch and TV.

"People go to the toilet everywhere here and I'm scared of getting sick. My twin sisters vomited last night," she said.

b376924d.jpg

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N21203781.htm

Ont. woman desperate to rescue her Haitian spouse

A Forest, Ont. woman is desperately trying to rescue her husband from the destruction and chaos in Haiti but she says the earthquake left him without any proof that he's married to a Canadian.

Stacey Gala's ordeal has been fraught with ironic and unfortunate twists. The day she found out that her bid to sponsor her Haitian husband had been approved, the earthquake struck, flattening the embassy handling the application.

Gala said she had made photocopies of all the paperwork just in case, but now that the 7.0 tremor has left the impoverished country in tatters, officials don't have any equipment to receive the documents.

"It's very difficult on a good day to communicate with Haiti and send information," she said in a live interview from London, Ont. with CTV's Canada AM on Tuesday.

She said she has spoken with officials in Ottawa who have reassured her that they are taking her case seriously.

"They say they are doing whatever they can to reunite me with my husband," she said.

470gala100119.jpg

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100119/status_husband_100119/20100119?hub=Toronto

Voodoo priests want mass burials to stop in Haiti

Haiti's voodoo priests have claimed that the many mass burials taking place in Haiti are not dignified or in keeping with black magic rituals.

Haiti, a country where many people still believe in voodoo and zombies, there has been concern the dead bodies could be brought back to life to persecute the living.

The priests have taken their concerns to President Rene Preval to ask him to intervene.

While Haiti's main voodoo leader, Max Beauvoir, has told Mr Preval that mass graves are against the Haitian culture, authorities are likely to continue the rate of burial as the most efficient way to dispose of the fast-rotting corpses from Tuesday's disaster.

More than half of Haiti's 9 million people are believed to practice voodoo along with Catholicism.

Many Haitians see no conflict between the two.

voodoo-11.jpg

http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=589908

Here's a letter my husband wrote to our newspaper concerning that special "Hope for Haiti". Shame on Fox (aka "Faux") news!!

Haiti man rescued after 27 days in quake rubble

A Haitian man who has been pulled alive from rubble in Port-au-Prince may have been trapped since an earthquake *devastated the city 27 days ago.

Evan Muncie, a 28-year-old rice vendor, was being treated in a US-run field hospital last night – a day after being discovered in the ruins of a marketplace which collapsed in the 12 January quake.

He was malnourished, delirious and dehydrated but had no serious injuries, prompting astonishment at what could be the most remarkable survival story from the earthquake.

Muncie reportedly told doctors that someone "in a white coat" brought him water while he was pinned down, but even after being rescued he appeared to think he was still under rubble and left gaps in his account.

Relatives said he vanished when the magnitude-7.0 quake levelled Haiti's capital, killing more than 200,000 people.

Experts said few people survived more than three days under rubble and on 23 January Haiti's government declared an end to search-and-rescue efforts.

It was unclear who found Muncie in Croix-des-Bossales seaside market, a ruin which has been looted and burned since the quake.

The discovery astonished relatives, who assumed they would not see Muncie again. His mother told local reporters: "I thought he was dead, but God kept him from dying."

Doctors said the patient appeared disoriented and may have hallucinated during his ordeal. "Initially, I'm sure he had his senses with him, so maybe he was able to find some kind of resources," Dr Mike Connelly, who was treating Muncie at the US field hospital, told CNN.

Muncie must have had access to water while he was trapped, the doctor added, but may not have had food. "He was emaciated. He hadn't had anything in quite some time. He had open wounds that were festering on both of his feet."

Dushyantha Jayaweera, of the University of Miami field hospital, told Reuters it was plausible that Muncie had been buried since the quake.

"It is unusual but not impossible. He was quite dehydrated and he was wasted, so there are certain things that suggest that it's true," Jayaweera said.

Until Muncie the last known survivor was Darlene Etienne, 16, hailed as a miracle girl after being pulled from rubble on 27 January.

Other news from Haiti was less cheerful. The United Nations said it would cut off shipments of free medicine to hospitals that charge patients. About a dozen public and private hospitals in the capital and other parts of Haiti have begun charging for medicine, UN officials told AP.

"The money is huge," said Christophe Rerat, of the Pan American Health Organisation. About $1m (£637,000) worth of drugs have been sent from UN warehouses alone to Haitian hospitals in the past three weeks, he said.

After the quake authorities immediately announced all medical care was free – though in many places it was absent or overwhelmed. Haiti now has about 90 hospitals, including public and private hospitals and field hospitals.

With the rainy season looming medical focus is turning from trauma wounds and amputations to infections and disease. Even in normal times spring rain brings mudslides and health problems but with an estimated 1 million people homeless – many are living in improvised, unsanitary camps using sheets as tents – the post-quake impact could be disastrous.

"There will be health concerns," said engineer Mario Nicoleau, of the US Agency for International Development's office in Haiti. "The risks will be enormous."

Last night, the Haitian government raised the death toll for the earthquake to 230,000 from 212,000 and said that more bodies remain uncounted.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/09/haiti-man-rescued-27-days-rubble

Haiti man rescued after 27 days in quake rubble

A Haitian man who has been pulled alive from rubble in Port-au-Prince may have been trapped since an earthquake *devastated the city 27 days ago.

Evan Muncie, a 28-year-old rice vendor, was being treated in a US-run field hospital last night – a day after being discovered in the ruins of a marketplace which collapsed in the 12 January quake.

He was malnourished, delirious and dehydrated but had no serious injuries, prompting astonishment at what could be the most remarkable survival story from the earthquake.
That is incredible!

One year later, we must not forget.

Women in Haiti’s Squalid Refugee Camps Face Rampant Rape

One year after a devastating earthquake hit Haiti, women and girls staying in the country's refugee camps live without adequate food, water, shelter and medical care. And when the darkness falls, the rapists come.

According to a report from Amnesty International, precarious living conditions and a lack of security in and around the camps have left thousands of women and girls as young as two vulnerable to sexual predators. Many of these women lost their family and community connections in the quake along with all of their worldly possessions.

One widow named Guerline was forced to watch her 13-year-old daughter being gang raped by four men. "They told me that if I talked about it, they would kill me," she told researchers. "They said that if I went to the police, they would shoot me dead." That same night, Guerline was raped as well.

The Commission of Women Victims for Victims, a women's group run by and for rape survivors from the poorest areas of Port-au-Prince, registered 230 cases of sexual assault in 15 camps during the five months after the Jan. 12 quake. There are over 500 camps in the Haitian capital.

The vast majority of the women living in the camps who were interviewed reported being raped by two or more individuals. Most of those assaults occurred at night and by men who were armed.

Rapes are rarely reported to authorities because of the shame, social stigma and fear of reprisals from attackers, USA Today reported. The few brave women who have come forward to file a report with authorities were told that nothing could be done for them. Some police officers even demanded bribes to investigate the assaults, but the victims had no money.

Rape victims are also emotionally, spiritually and physically scarred by their attackers. Some become pregnant, suffer internal injuries or contract sexually transmitted diseases. Haiti has the highest infection rate for HIV in the Western hemisphere, with one in 50 people infected, The Associated Press reported.

In an effort to stem the tide of sexual assaults in Haiti's refugee camps, human rights groups are urging the government and charitable organizations to improve lighting and security in the camps, increase the number of private bathing facilities and make a serious effort to prosecute rapists. Additional tents, a more visible police presence, self-defense courses and better information about medical treatment options are also suggested.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y8xb94sfIEQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y8xb94sfIEQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_spoin...aitis-squalid-refugee-camps-face-rampant-rape

Children of Rape Are Latest Legacy of Haiti Quake

e3278bfe.png

A year after Haiti&#8217;s devastating earthquake, women in Haiti&#8217;s still-teeming tent cities face yet another threat: sexual violence. With little protection from community or law enforcement, many have been violently raped, only to become pregnant with their attackers&#8217; children.

Photojournalist Nadav Neuhaus traveled through Haiti&#8217;s tent cities last summer, photographing and interviewing dozens of residents in the camps that still house more than 1 million people. During a visit to Camp La Piste, home to 50,000 displaced people, Neuhaus noticed an unusually high number of pregnant women. A community organizer and a local midwife confirmed his worries: Many of the women were pregnant as a result of rape.

They came to Camp La Piste after losing parents, brothers and husbands in the earthquake, leaving them to fend for themselves in the sprawling squalor, where roving gangs of armed men terrorize residents.

In a new report, Amnesty International documents the rise in sexual violence, including at least 250 rapes reported in the first few months after the earthquake.

Fueled in part by these sexual attacks, the birth rate in Haiti has tripled since the quake, climbing from 4 percent to 12 percent, according to population experts.

Most women told Neuhaus they don&#8217;t report the rapes, either out of shame or fear of repercussions. Even if they wanted to report the crimes, there's little help in a country where police and justice systems are destroyed or distracted and where resources for the powerless are almost non-existent.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40930866/ns/health

Mobs Lynch 'Witches' in Haiti For Spreading Cholera Epidemic

7f7b925f.jpg

PORT-AU-PRINCE: Haitian mobs fearing a cholera epidemic have killed people whom they had accused of trying to spread the disease, including through witchcraft, police say.

''A dozen people accused of importing cholera to a region that so far has been spared were killed with machetes and stones and their corpses were burned in the streets,'' a police inspector said.

A prosecutor, Kesner Numa, said: ''These people are accused of witchcraft related to cholera.'' The attackers believed the victims were trying to ''plant a substance that spreads the disease in the region''.
Advertisement: Story continues below

The first lynching cases took place last week. ''Since then we have had cases every day,'' the prosecutor said.

Communities in the Grand Anse region in the far south-west of Haiti were refusing to co-operate with investigations into the killings.

''They really believe that witches are taking advantage of the cholera epidemic to kill.'' It was not immediately clear if any of the victims had cholera.

Six people were hacked or stoned to death in the town of Chambellan and five others in Marfranc and Dame Marie, officials said.

According to journalists, at least three people were killed by mobs in the city of Jeremie, while several others were killed under similar circumstances in surrounding villages.

Health authorities say Grand Anse is the region least affected by the cholera epidemic, which has killed 1817 in Haiti since mid-October. Only five of those deaths have been reported in Grand Anse.

About half of Haiti's population is believed to practise the voodoo religion in some form, although many are thought to also follow other religious beliefs at the same time.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/mobs-ly...preading-cholera-epidemic-20101203-18jv0.html

Love in the Time of Cholera

d9bcfed9.jpg

One year after the devastating Jan. 12 earthquake, how Sean Penn, Paul Haggis, Maria Bello and their friends are still fighting for Haiti&#8217;s survival amid unspeakable horror.

It&#8217;s Christmas Eve in Haiti, and while the rest of the world is slowing down, Sean Penn is speeding up.

His fingers gripped tight on the handrail of a mud-splattered SUV, gulping cigarette smoke like oxygen, he&#8217;s wiry, intense, haggard, his hooded eyes alert to every move, emotions clenched tight as a fist, as his car lurches through a hilly slum, ironically named Bel Air. PHOTOS: Sean Penn's Haiti home.

Half-naked children clamber around the crumbling shacks. A family stews food on the porch of a building stamped with red letters, meaning it&#8217;s destined for demolition &#8212; only the place is still here, and so is the family.

It&#8217;s a bad set designer&#8217;s version of the apocalypse, except that it&#8217;s real &#8212; especially for Penn, 50, who&#8217;s been a fixture in Haiti since moving here almost immediately after the Jan. 12, 2010, earthquake that threw the country into chaos, and the actor&#8217;s own life, too.

&#8220;There&#8217;s a great thing Paul Newman said about his long marriage,&#8221; he says wryly. &#8220; &#8216;As it turns out, we still love each other.&#8217; That&#8217;s how I feel: &#8216;As it turns out, I&#8217;m still here.&#8217; &#8221;

He cracks a rare smile as we approach a small, newly erected school for about 300 children. Penn is here to meet its founder, a Haitian-American event producer funding the endeavor from his New York base who&#8217;s come to see the result, his exquisite Tunisian girlfriend in tow.

An enigmatic businessman. A 6-foot model. A school that&#8217;s open on Christmas Eve. It&#8217;s enough to make anyone wary, let alone the genetically cautious Penn.

&#8220;He wants us to contribute what we&#8217;ve got, a heavy-equipment team and a civil engineer,&#8221; he says. &#8220;But I don&#8217;t know. There&#8217;s a lot of people, and you don&#8217;t know where they&#8217;re coming from.&#8221;

Given this, it&#8217;s hardly a surprise that Penn holds back when the man, Unik Ernest, greets him warmly and leads him into the rough-and-tumble building. As we make our way through crevice-like hallways, he shows us a giant bowl of rice that provides these kids with one solid meal per day &#8212; a miracle in this impoverished town &#8212; and ushers us into a cramped classroom where nearly 50 children squeal with delight at seeing Penn.

Not Penn the actor: Penn the humanist. Penn the leader of a camp that houses 55,000 displaced persons. Penn the man whose rubble-busting machinery might turn this squalor into something bordering on the human.

One by one, the girls line up to kiss him. If Penn hesitates &#8212; he&#8217;s hardly the kiss-and-cuddle type, and cholera is a clear and present danger &#8212; he kisses them on the cheek nonetheless, with a disarming gentleness.

Then the girls sing: &#8220;We wish you a merry Christmas. We wish you a merry Christmas. We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year!&#8221;

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/love-time-cholera-67824

It´s terrible.
There are lonely young girls who are raped night after night and they have no protection.

What kind of world do we have ?I´m thinking of Darfur too and other places.

Seen a bunch of 1 year later stories.

Didn't haiti have a earthquake or flood only a year or 2 ago
have you been living under a rock?????
Some police officers even demanded bribes to investigate the assaults, but the victims had no money.
that's sick, they suffered from the quake and the hard camp life, get attacked and then the cops do this???? What a sick world.:(

I hope Senn penn and the other celebs are helpin for the right reasons, remember hollyweird is about image

Where exactly did all the raised money for Haiti go?..

a lot of it was lost to low-life scammers

Haiti Earthquake Brings Charity Scams Out of the Woodwork

Within hours of last Tuesday's earthquake in Haiti, charities and concerned individuals were scrambling to respond to the catastrophe. From the American Red Cross to Doctors Without Borders, Food for the Hungry to Habitat for Humanity, dozens of organizations were marshaling resources and determining where they could offer aid. At the same time, online scammers were also getting ready. Faced with a tragedy of unbelievable proportions, they recognized that there would soon be a massive wave of public support and moved quickly to divert some of the rich stream of money into their wallets.

According to SC Magazine, within an hour of the earthquake, there was a 1,578% increase in Internet traffic related to Haiti and a 5,407% increase in bandwidth usage for Haiti URLs. But this massive outflow of interest had a dark side: malware programs quickly began using search engine optimization to draw visitors to scam earthquake sites.

FBI Puts Up A Scam Alert

Within a day, Websense had identified three malware programs that were drawing in users looking to give charitable donations. The FBI also put up an alert, offering security guidelines for people hoping to make donations. A few days later, it joined with the National Center for Disaster Fraud to establish a hotline for reporting suspicious Haiti websites.

Among some of the purported scams, the link "Haiti earthquake donate" reportedly leads to a suspect website, SC Magazine said. And an FBI website warned of individuals receiving unsolicited emails asking for donations for quake victims.

The Haiti crisis highlights the increasing speed and sophistication of online scams. Part of the reason that cyber-criminals were able to quickly exploit the earthquake is because they have begun to employ long-term business strategies. According to Kurt Roemer, chief security strategist with software company Citrix systems, cyber-criminals have learned to bide their time: "They don't take advantage of security vulnerabilities immediately. Instead, they wait until it is economically viable to do so."

Disasters Make People Less Careful

These vulnerabilities include compromised email addresses, programs that harvest passwords, and even infected Facebook applications. Scammers can use this information to access online accounts, send deceptive emails and otherwise trick users into giving money to nonexistent charities.

Under normal circumstances, this would be a minor problem, but disasters like the earthquake in Haiti make many givers less careful about checking out the sites that they use to send money. By manipulating this generosity, scammers can get hold of bank and credit card information, as well as passwords and email contact information.

While catastrophes make charitable givers more vulnerable, they are also dangerous for criminals. Roemer notes that disasters are a "Ripe time to uncover operations and shut them down." When tragedies like Haiti draw scammers into the open, security professionals at Apple (AAPL), McAfee (MFE), Symantec (SYMC), Sans.org and other companies are often waiting.

Many Scammers Are Overseas

Unfortunately, many of these criminals are based in Nigeria, Eastern Europe, Asia and other areas where the laws governing cybercrime are lax or nonexistent. But, by uncovering their methods, security professionals are able to make the Web safer.

Roemer offers a few key techniques for maximizing online safety during a crisis. First, he suggests that users make their donations on known, reputable sites like the American Red Cross or iTunes. Also, he notes that many employees can securely donate through their employers, and some companies will even match funds.

Another tip is to go directly to charitable sites, google the companies and otherwise check out the organization that is collecting money. Most important, he stresses the need to "care responsibly." adsonar_placementId=1491054; adsonar_pid=1990767; adsonar_ps=-1; adsonar_zw=627; adsonar_zh=110; adsonar_jv='ads.tw.adsonar.com';

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/cKMHbm

Sean Penn Slams "the Whole F--king World" for Abandoning Haiti

92fe0f47.jpg

Sean Penn isn't a fan of slacktivists.

On Friday in Cannes, the actor-activist slammed the media for abandoning Haiti after the devastating earthquake in January 2010.

"It's not only celebrities who went for a day," Penn told reporters, as excerpted by TheWrap.com. "It's the whole f--king world. It's all of you."

"The reason we have Haiti fatigue is because there was never a commitment in the first place," he added.

Penn also called upon Barack Obama to meet with Haiti's newly elected president Michel Joseph Martelly. "It's time our elegant and formidable president stood side by side [with Martelly]," he said.

The actor was part of a news conference with Petra Nemcova and director Paul Haggis, all of whom work with nonprofit organizations in Haiti. The trio joined forces for a benefit for the country at the Cannes Film Festival.

Sean Penn Slams "the Whole F--king World" for Abandoning Haiti

My kind of no-nonsense guy. Love how he vents his disdain for the media .

Sean Penn love you much.!!!

Back